What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'12 NJ CB Yuri Wright (Signed to Colorado)

^^Could be I dunno, I though he looked like a Safety to me, but there is a reason I am in the stands and Embo and crew are on the sideline....I was just spitballing.

Wow. Genrally I don't get worked up over one recruit committing or not committing, but it is hard not to be excited about the DB recruiting. Welcome Yuri.....

As others have mentined, CU is going from zero to sixty. Last year Embo and staff were pulling RB's, S's and WR's over to CB because everybody was injured and or suspended. Now we get Harrington, Bell back from IR, Henderson (who played outstanding last year) add in Crawley, Wright, Walker and maybe Mosley who could be a CB, S or WR and things are looking pretty sweet on the corners. Should be some intense competition for PT.

Polk, Washington, Smith are back at S, maybe Jermaine Clark or one of the CB's shift over and CU is loaded with players in the DB. Maybe even D.D. Goodsno gets another look, he played pretty well ther too for a guy who was practicing as a RB. I am pumped.

There is going to be a lot of play time available at corner next year. With the addition of the Pirate of Pullman and RichRod, we'll be facing a lot of spread offenses. Combine that with the uptempo pace that teams like Oregon play, and we'll often have 5 or 6 dbs on the field being rotated in and out at a pretty good pace.

Schweeeeeeet! Welcome to the Black-n-Gold, young man !!

Manhattan, Lefty, HouBuff -- I'm with ya. We've got 4 talented young men committed for the defensive backfield, but they're gonna have to earn their time. There are some talented folks already here who they will be competing with, and the idea of that competition excites me a great deal.

Simply fantastic. Our defense just got much, much better. Wright and Crawley could start from day one.
talented enough yes but Mr. Henderson will have something to say about some young bucks taking his spot. Nice to know there will besome stiff competition among the dbs next season

You guys are leaving out Orms in your projections, moved to safety Orms could really be a player for us.

You guys are leaving out Orms in your projections, moved to safety Orms could really be a player for us.

Great observation. He will be playing a position he's more suited for now. Our DB picture now looks great for 2012. What a great job by the staff.

I forgto about Orms...he played well at CB last year, but I think he's an even better S. If we can keep him away from the bong....

ESPECIALLY in the PAC12 with a bunch of pro-set throwing/throwing spread teams, you will need big, physical, and fast corners to match up with the emergence of freakish TEs and speedster WRs. Aside from a lethargic BCS Champ game, think of LSU's defense. A lot of the time, they would roll out five to as many as EIGHT DBs and get a good pass rush with three to four front guys.

We had two big areas of concern going into this off season in terms of generating pass rush and defending on the back end. We addressed the DE spot very well and are going to continue to work on sweet three-tech and four-tech players. We need as many guys like YW and KC to come to CU just to fill out better base packages.

As for the "concerns" related to Yuri... I remember folks (even up to the draft) saying that Jimmy Smith was a concern. Even after battling injuries for most of the season, I think he was a big contributor to one of the best defensive plays I've seen all season for the Ravens. From the film I've seen and the coaches we have on staff, I believe that's the kind of upside we can expect from Yuri.

So these Freshmen CBs are really ready to be depended upon from day 1? That seems kinda scary to me, but perhaps my fears are unfounded.

One other thing that isn't getting the attention it deserves is that with guys like Gerald Thomas, Yuri Wright, Kenneth Crawley, Marques Mosley, John Walker and Donta Abron coming in we have made a monumental upgrade to our special teams.

So these Freshmen CBs are really ready to be depended upon from day 1? That seems kinda scary to me, but perhaps my fears are unfounded.

Let's say they don't start. It could very well be Bell/Harrington and Henderson at the corners this year. What this does for our depth, competition at practice, and future is HUGE. If we want to be great again, we have to get back to the point where guys like Chad Brown are on the scout team as freshmen.

Yes, throw them in from day one. Trial by fire. Let them see guys like Barkley throwing to awesome receivers in real life.

Our plan is still a long-range one. We may or may not make a bowl this year; but, if we can gain some momentum in recruiting high level players, we can start building our pipeline.

MOST of LSU's secondary is returning since several of their key contributors were true sophomores. Losing Claiborne is a big set back; but, they are loaded in the back end to reload for another run for a potential championship.

We should all want our secondary to be on par with LSU's. We need big time talent to play on day one.

One other thing that isn't getting the attention it deserves is that with guys like Gerald Thomas, Yuri Wright, Kenneth Crawley, Marques Mosley, John Walker and Donta Abron coming in we have made a monumental upgrade to our special teams.

That's a great point. I love how Embo plays his best players on special teams and an influx of athleticism will certainly help us. Our special teams have not been all that special, of late (or maybe a little too, "special"). You can't coach speed...but you can recruit it and use it!

Do not be surprised if Yuri redshirts. My guess is he plays early, but people talking about him starting game one might want to tap the brakes. He is still pretty raw.

Yep.

Back