What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'14 NH PF Tory Miller (Signed to COLORADO)

That's the big thing CU has been missing for, well, maybe "ever". We need a guy who has 1 thought when he's got the ball in his hands within 5 feet of the basket: "I'm gonna rip the ****ing rim down so you better get the **** out of my way!"

That's the big thing CU has been missing for, well, maybe "ever". We need a guy who has 1 thought when he's got the ball in his hands within 5 feet of the basket: "I'm gonna rip the ****ing rim down so you better get the **** out of my way!"

I feel like that's XJ's mentality 95% of the time.

How offensively advanced is Miller? Does anyone else think he could replace Gordon in the starting line up next year at PF?

How offensively advanced is Miller? Does anyone else think he could replace Gordon in the starting line up next year at PF?
In my opinion Gordon has a lot of upside and will be better next year. He will be tough to "replace". I don't know much about Miller other than the videos that I have seen on this site and others, but he looks like a stud who will compete for time and help the team off the bench at least. If I am wrong and he is a starter next year we are that much better off. The future is bright.

Couldn't find his stats but his school does post game summaries mentioning the top performers. In about half of them he's not even mentioned and even the ones he is its nothing spectacular (like scoring 12 points). Is something to be concerned about? His stats last year weren't very impressive either but he still obviously picked up a bunch of offers.

Side question for recruiting gurus, although not always the case, this seems to be fairly common where guys who are good prospects put up mediocre stats. Am I wrong to assume that players who are D-1 and/or BCS prospects should be dropping 30-plus points every game in HS?

The northeast prep schools are typically loaded with D1 talent. New Hampton Prep is loaded with 3* and 4* players and seems to be particularly loaded at the 4 and 5 spots this season. I wouldn't get too discouraged as the starting five at any of these schools would probably make up a top 30 recruiting class in any given year.

If anything, it's probably good that he has to work for playing time in prep school and won't feel entitled next season in Boulder.

Couldn't find his stats but his school does post game summaries mentioning the top performers. In about half of them he's not even mentioned and even the ones he is its nothing spectacular (like scoring 12 points). Is something to be concerned about? His stats last year weren't very impressive either but he still obviously picked up a bunch of offers.

Side question for recruiting gurus, although not always the case, this seems to be fairly common where guys who are good prospects put up mediocre stats. Am I wrong to assume that players who are D-1 and/or BCS prospects should be dropping 30-plus points every game in HS?
smh.

Bigs don't get the ball these days. That's part of it.

To your side question, it really depends on the level of competition. For example, in the New England prep leagues the competition is staggering. If you look up the Hoop Hall Classic from last season, Andrew Wiggins got the MVP for scoring 19 pts and grabbing 10 rebs. That was the tourney where Tory Miller grabbed a lot of national attention because he pulled a double-double with 10 & 10.

With Miller, what you're looking at is a guy who is around 6'8" or maybe 6'9" with an NBA body and some skills. If you think about the teams in the Pac-12 right now, how many PFs fit that description? Further, he can beat opposing bigs down the court like Josh and Wes do. Miller may not be a guy who is going to light up the scoreboard, but he gives Tad a piece we don't currently have and creates matchup problems for other teams.

And here's his competition for playing time at the 4/5 at NHP:

21 Tyler Lydon 2015 F 6'8"
4* #77 on Rivals, committed to Syracuse

22 Mike Auger 2014 F 6’7”
2* Committed to Penn

5 Jeremy Miller 2015 PF 6'10"
4* #94 on Rivals

...and like Buffnik said, just like in AAU ball, the guards don't always get the ball to the bigs. I think the leading scorer for New Hampton is Aubrey Dawkins, a guard who has very few D1 offers, and not even one from his old man at Stanford.

Tad is bringing in a huge scoring threat in Collier. Miller is a big time defender. Both are and will become match-up nightmares. Very solid pick up that we beat a bunch of schools for. No need to worry.

And here's his competition for playing time at the 4/5 at NHP:

21 Tyler Lydon 2015 F 6'8"
4* #77 on Rivals, committed to Syracuse

22 Mike Auger 2014 F 6’7”
2* Committed to Penn

5 Jeremy Miller 2015 PF 6'10"
4* #94 on Rivals

...and like Buffnik said, just like in AAU ball, the guards don't always get the ball to the bigs. I think the leading scorer for New Hampton is Aubrey Dawkins, a guard who has very few D1 offers, and not even one from his old man at Stanford.

Best thing about this list, is Miller faces quality talent in practice everyday! That's where young players get better.

Think about Talton and the level of HS and even AAU play he faced, then realize how much he's improved in such a relatively short time. In Colorado HS ball, someone of Miller's stature wouldn't face his equal more than two or three times an entire season, unless it was in AAU ball; let alone everyday in practice!

Back