What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'15 TX RB Patrick Carr (Signed to COLORADO)

I don't like the spread really, I like more of the old school but that's me. Yeah we run that bubble **** too much, need a counter off of it. Like run a wheel, fake the block and release.

Was there anything about the offense that made you wanna pull your hair out more than seeing 2 out of every 5 plays be some variation of a WR/RB screen? :bang:

It wasn't the bubble screen that was frustrating. We had skill guys fast enough to execute it. It was the fact that our blockers on the edge had no idea what they were doing. Screens only work when the WR's outside actually occupy their defenders.

It wasn't the bubble screen that was frustrating. We had skill guys fast enough to execute it. It was the fact that our blockers on the edge had no idea what they were doing. Screens only work when the WR's outside actually occupy their defenders.

It wasn't the execution that frustrated me (although it didn't help). To me, Lindgren seemingly made it a staple play of the offense that was used as much as some teams use the read option. The screen game is nice to use once-in-a-while, in long yardage or 3rd down situations to beat a blitz happy team, but it felt like the offense was actually centered around the different variations of it. As a defense, it's not hard to recognize it and those WR screens out wide require the other WRs to block the other team's best athletes, in space, for a long period of time. Ugh, still annoys me just thinking about how much it was called.

It wasn't the execution that frustrated me (although it didn't help). To me, Lindgren seemingly made it a staple play of the offense that was used as much as some teams use the read option. The screen game is nice to use once-in-a-while, in long yardage or 3rd down situations to beat a blitz happy team, but it felt like the offense was actually centered around the different variations of it. As a defense, it's not hard to recognize it and those WR screens out wide require the other WRs to block the other team's best athletes, in space, for a long period of time. Ugh, still annoys me just thinking about how much it was called.

It is used often by teams trying to cover deficiencies elsewhere. Sound familiar?

Stalking is a lot like zone blocking. Engage, let the guy go where he wants. Let the back or receiver make the cut. I used to grab the jersey inside the framework or I'd grab the inside of the shoulder pads. Once guys would get away, too late lol.

It is used often by teams trying to cover deficiencies elsewhere. Sound familiar?

Oh, I had an idea why it was used so much, I just completely disagree with that philosophy. There are better ways to work a defense and get guys in space than bubble screens every couple plays, IMO.

Stalking is a lot like zone blocking. Engage, let the guy go where he wants. Let the back or receiver make the cut. I used to grab the jersey inside the framework or I'd grab the inside of the shoulder pads. Once guys would get away, too late lol.

I hated stalk blocking. You're out there on an island and are usually the block that either springs a play for a big gain or causes the play to get stopped short. Everybody sees you mess up, when it happens, but nobody realizes that you have to hold that block for twice as long (usually) as an OL would have to hold his.

I hated stalk blocking. You're out there on an island and are usually the block that either springs a play for a big gain or causes the play to get stopped short. Everybody sees you mess up, when it happens, but nobody realizes that you have to hold that block for twice as long (usually) as an OL would have to hold his.
Yep not easy, gotta get your hands on. Helps when u have a good back that can get the edge quickly.

This. When the OL can't protect the Qb for more than 3 seconds, you have to run plays like that to get the defenders out of the backfield and on the edges.

I wouldn't be bothered by that play so much if it actually worked. Throwing a 20 yard pass sideways to gain two yards seems like a lot of effort for little gain.

I wouldn't be bothered by that play so much if it actually worked. Throwing a 20 yard pass sideways to gain two yards seems like a lot of effort for little gain.

It's an awesome play, when called at the right time against the right defense. In 2014, it seemed that Lindgren was calling it 2-3 times per offensive possession, and it cost us the Utah game with the pick 6. We became very predictable and any team that scouted us at all, knew we were going to do it. I kept waiting to see the fake under screen, where the blocking WR fakes the stalk and goes deep, but I don't recall that every happening (or at least being executed correctly).

It's an awesome play, when called at the right time against the right defense. In 2014, it seemed that Lindgren was calling it 2-3 times per offensive possession, and it cost us the Utah game with the pick 6. We became very predictable and any team that scouted us at all, knew we were going to do it. I kept waiting to see the fake under screen, where the blocking WR fakes the stalk and goes deep, but I don't recall that every happening (or at least being executed correctly).
I saw them do it at San Jose, not here, that I recall? It's there though, if you keep running that type of screen though, especially if they man. They play a 3 deep zone, not so much.

I'm not ready to annoint this guy as the second coming of (pick just about any great back) just yet. This is a high school senior who hasn't even seen his first college level practice.

Vids look good against some tough competition in a football crazy state. But undue expectations can only lead to disappointment if he's not ready when we think he should be.

If he comes in and steals some PT right away then great. If he needs a rs year, so be it. I think he's gonna be a good one in time. I'm willing to wait.

I'm not ready to annoint this guy as the second coming of (pick just about any great back) just yet. This is a high school senior who hasn't even seen his first college level practice.

Vids look good against some tough competition in a football crazy state. But undue expectations can only lead to disappointment if he's not ready when we think he should be.

If he comes in and steals some PT right away then great. If he needs a rs year, so be it. I think he's gonna be a good one in time. I'm willing to wait.

Tis. Plus he was often pulling away from DBs who were even with him as he got to the third level; even those who had the angle on him. He simply outran them

Even more impressive when you consider Texas 6A HS coaches, as full-time paid pros, who should understand the opponents' strengths and had to be scheming to stop this kid.

I agree it's silly to anoint this kid the 2nd coming, but it's tough not to get excited about arguably our top recruit in this class, who was an 11th hour visit and commitment. This is especially the case when you turn on his tape and see him dominating the competition. His speed, quickness and vision are eye popping at times and he's a guy that you know can play. How he's able to handle the transition to college and the competition of the Pac 12 remains to be seen. Much of that is mental, though, and he seems like high character kid that can handle it. Time will tell.

I was interrogating my Arkansas fan buddy about Carr, but this is all he had:

"Dunno what happened between Carr and Arkansas. Couldn't find anything on Hogville either other than people were impressed with him."

Easy to forget that offense wasn't what cost the Buffs most of their games. I expect the O to play to win much more this year than last, when they were playing not to lose - the play calling should look better as a result.

I am most impressed with Patrick's desire to impact the program, help it return to greatness, more than highlights. His reference to "outworking the other great athletes that will confront him at the college level", is not a common comment from a junior in high school (at the time of that interview). He is mature in perspective compared to many top recruits entering the college level of competition. The physical stuff will either translate, or it will not. But you control what you can control.

That is what catches my ear.

I am most impressed with Patrick's desire to impact the program, help it return to greatness, more than highlights. His reference to "outworking the other great athletes that will confront him at the college level", is not a common comment from a junior in high school (at the time of that interview). He is mature in perspective compared to many top recruits entering the college level of competition. The physical stuff will either translate, or it will not. But you control what you can control.

Not me. Espinoza wanted to help the Buffs return to greatness. I'm in it for the highlights.

On the remarks associated with his recruiting video, Woodlands alum and current Buff Jonathon Huckins made a comment about Carr's work ethic as well.

Every kid I get excited about ends up being a bust. The list is long and includes such ignominius names as Marcus Houston, Darrell Scott, Conrad Obi and Daysean Rippy. The one exception is Paul Richardson, but it should be pointed out that he tore his ACL once he became my favorite Buff.

I think that for the time being, I'm going to annoint Gehrke as my favorite Buff. This Carr kid - he might be OK. Maybe. :thumbsup:

Every kid I get excited about ends up being a bust. The list is long and includes such ignominius names as Marcus Houston, Darrell Scott, Conrad Obi and Daysean Rippy. The one exception is Paul Richardson, but it should be pointed out that he tore his ACL once he became my favorite Buff.

I think that for the time being, I'm going to annoint Gehrke as my favorite Buff. This Carr kid - he might be OK. Maybe. :thumbsup:
:lol:

Can you start getting really excited for some of our opponents kids?

Your track record is still better than BCS' history of Buff crushes.

Any Allbuff's posters you are excited about?

Back