What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'16 CO PF De'Ron Davis (Signed to Indiana)

Okay i'm sorry but can you please explain what the deal is with this shoe deal crap?

Kids make the shoes. The shoe company sends the shoes to the US. Then they have kids sell the shoes. 35 year olds can now say how much better salesmen our kids are versus other kids who are selling shoes. It's called AAU basketball and it's FANtastic.

Okay i'm sorry but can you please explain what the deal is with this shoe deal crap?

I'm sorry. I thought I was replying to something in a Barzil thread.

Basically, the big shoe companies funnel a lot of money into AAU traveling teams and fight like crazy to land the top talents onto these teams. The idea is that they can lock up an affiliation with the likely next generation of NBA stars. So they'll do their best to get top kids onto their sponsored AAU teams and then pull out all the stops to funnel them to their more prestigious college basketball properties in order to continue that affiliation.

De'Ron Davis is a 5* level player, so he's in demand and has been pulled away from a Nike AAU to an Adidas AAU. What has followed is the main Adidas programs (UCLA and Indiana, for example) jumping into a very strong position for his recruitment while Nike programs like CU are now at a significant disadvantage. Just part of the recruiting game of major college basketball.

fwiw, we're seeing the growth of that in football too with the money that Nike and Under Armour are plowing into camp sponsorships, 7-on-7 tournament sponsorships, training facility sponsorships, high school sponsorships, and all-star game sponsorships.

So, CU, a Nike school, helps fund Oregon?

Lots of schools play with Nike. Phil Knight, Nike's founder and already a billionaire, funds Oregon---even though he's a Stanford grad!

CU has a couple billionaires and many multi-millionaires out there, but for a lot, their aims and egos are too big for CU athletics.

Thank goodness for a few guys like Boedecker (Crocs) and even Benson (oil and gas; whom billionaire Solich dislikes/is afraid of)

Lots of schools play with Nike. Phil Knight, Nike's founder and already a billionaire, funds Oregon---even though he's a Stanford grad!

CU has a couple billionaires and many multi-millionaires out there, but for a lot, their aims and egos are too big for CU athletics.

Thank goodness for a few guys like Boedecker (Crocs) and even Benson (oil and gas; whom billionaire Solich dislikes/is afraid of)
Just to clarify the bolded part. He went to grad school at Stanford, he is an Oregon native and ran track under Bowerman at Oregon as an undergrad. He considers himself a duck.

Austin Conway choosing Wyoming instead of going to Indiana avoids the Hoosiers grabbing a recruiting advantage with Davis.

Buffs need to show Davis that CU is a program that not only makes the Dance and gets players to the NBA, but is annually right there at the top of the Pac-12 while getting through the first weekend of the NCAAs.

Curious if timing of Fortune announcement, coming day after Conway verbals to Wyo, is about Davis relationship/recruiting.

Curious if timing of Fortune announcement, coming day after Conway verbals to Wyo, is about Davis relationship/recruiting.

Been a long day, but having a real hard time figuring out where there would be any correlation there.

It's been said that Conway had a Indiana offer to get Davis

I understand that. I just don't understand where Fortune fits in any of that. Oh well, happy for Austin, very happy about the Fortune transfer, and hoping we still have a shot at De'Ron.

I understand that. I just don't understand where Fortune fits in any of that. Oh well, happy for Austin, very happy about the Fortune transfer, and hoping we still have a shot at De'Ron.

Oh, yeah, I'm confused about that too.

De'Ron is on ESPNU starting now and he's teamed up with Thon Maker and a bunch of other top 30 players

DeRon's Team Lillard won the Adidas Nations title game by a large margin. He was easily the most physically developed player on the court. So, they put him a little out of position as their 5. Really impressed with his low post D as he had 3 blocks, 1 steal, and only 1 foul. Looked like a true 6'10 guy. Was efficient on O but didn't get a lot of touches with Thon Maker and Dennis Smith eating up the attack.

Seems to be the protocol for every top CO recruit. If it means some of the blue bloods cool off then it's good news.

What is even crazier is that if you read the second post in this thread, he was considered top 10 and possibly #1 overall just a few years ago. He was just that dominant a few years ago and now other guys have caught up.

I think it's good news overall that he dropped. If he was in the Top 5-10, would be incredibly difficult to secure his signature. It still won't be easy, and there are a lot of dynamics in play I imagine, but lot of the blue bloods will go after supposedly bigger and better things if De'Ron is in the 30-50 range.

What is even crazier is that if you read the second post in this thread, he was considered top 10 and possibly #1 overall just a few years ago. He was just that dominant a few years ago and now other guys have caught up.

He is older for his class & easily one of the most physically developed guys in the top 35. This may narrow it down to CU & Indiana. Not worried about any other P12 school.

He is older for his class & easily one of the most physically developed guys in the top 35. This may narrow it down to CU & Indiana. Not worried about any other P12 school.

Not worried about Indy. Crean is going to get creamed soon.

I'm curious to see if UCLA gets involved. They landed top 50 centers in the last 2 classes, so they've got some depth, but I know they were interested at some point.

Not worried about Indy. Crean is going to get creamed soon.

If you're not worried about Indiana, have to feel good about the Buffs chances. I think 7/7 of 247's predictions have him going into Indiana tho.

A second straight NIT appearance for Indiana, would have to put that in more doubt.

I'm curious to see if UCLA gets involved. They landed top 50 centers in the last 2 classes, so they've got some depth, but I know they were interested at some point.

I thought he was going to be a stretch 4?

I thought he was going to be a stretch 4?

Indeed. And UCLA has offered. Just don't see UofA or UCLA recruiting Davis better/harder than us or Davis feeling more comfortable at any other P12. If Indiana bounces back this yr & makes him a top priority then that'll be tough but, not as scary as UNC, Kansas or L'ville making De'Ron a top guy.

Back