What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'17 CA QB Tyler Lytle (Signed to COLORADO)

I'm not sure if this is just paranoia or Davis Webb flashbacks causing this. It looks like Lytle is now following basically every school that was recruiting him from the get go. I know he's been posting a bunch of CU stuff, still has me concerned a little....

I'm not sure if this is just paranoia or Davis Webb flashbacks causing this. It looks like Lytle is now following basically every school that was recruiting him from the get go. I know he's been posting a bunch of CU stuff, still has me concerned a little....
edmbK.gif

I believe all of those schools have a QB committed. Not sure I would be worried.

All of these schools try and will upgrade when possible. It is the issue with early commits. If the kids are following and schools following back they are still talking. Look at the commits and decommits. It is insane! Some will take two and the kid is an early commit. All schools will jump on top QBs. Having a commit does not mean much anymore.

That's enough. Let's stay on topic.

Anyone see how Tyler played this week? Servite's had a ridiculously tough schedule.

That's enough. Let's stay on topic.

Anyone see how Tyler played this week? Servite's had a ridiculously tough schedule.

Maxpreps had his stats at 12 of 21 for 139 (I'm pretty sure he had a ball tipped and picked but they don't list an INT), which is pretty good when you're team is just totally outclassed. His backup came in sometime late.

I thought about this yesterday. From Lytle's perspective, he is looking at sitting on the bench for three years behind Montez. I am not sure that was the case 2 months ago, I am assuming he believed he would be playing early. I would not be surprised to see him open things back up - unfortunately.

I thought about this yesterday. From Lytle's perspective, he is looking at sitting on the bench for three years behind Montez. I am not sure that was the case 2 months ago, I am assuming he believed he would be playing early. I would not be surprised to see him open things back up - unfortunately.

Certainly that is what other schools will be beating into his head.

How do you figure 3 years? If Montez is good enough to hold off a guy like Lytle, got to figure that Montez leaves after 2 seasons. Lytle would be taking the reins at a program at the top of the Pac-12 as a RS-Sophomore. Plus, one play away and all that.

How do you figure 3 years? If Montez is good enough to hold off a guy like Lytle, got to figure that Montez leaves after 2 seasons. Lytle would be taking the reins at a program at the top of the Pac-12 as a RS-Sophomore. Plus, one play away and all that.
Montez will tell you that there is no chance to show what you got when the starter goes down.

I am assuming Montez is a four year player at CU. He loves it at CU, has passion for the program and just because you excel at the college level does not mean you are ready for the NFL, let alone jumping early. My original point being, 2 months ago the position seemed wide open. However, Montez has stepped up and in for Sefo and has already set records. I would think that Lytle is noticing this, don't you?

Not many programs in the country have a team that don't have someone that plays the QB position, that's solidified. Especially, one that'll be wide open as an underclassman. I hope some competition doesn't scare him.

I am assuming Montez is a four year player at CU. He loves it at CU, has passion for the program and just because you excel at the college level does not mean you are ready for the NFL, let alone jumping early. My original point being, 2 months ago the position seemed wide open. However, Montez has stepped up and in for Sefo and has already set records. I would think that Lytle is noticing this, don't you?

Sure. And maybe he stays thru his senior year (don't bet on that, though - not like Kordell doesn't love CU). Anyway, there's competition everywhere. There isn't a program in the P5 that doesn't have highly rated recruits already on the roster waiting or that won't be bringing a new stud in every year. Great players aren't afraid of competition. Otherwise we'd be seeing 4* & 5* guys evenly spread out among all D1 programs. It really shouldn't matter.

Sure. And maybe he stays thru his senior year (don't bet on that, though - not like Kordell doesn't love CU). Anyway, there's competition everywhere. There isn't a program in the P5 that doesn't have highly rated recruits already on the roster waiting or that won't be bringing a new stud in every year. Great players aren't afraid of competition. Otherwise we'd be seeing 4* & 5* guys evenly spread out among all D1 programs. It really shouldn't matter.

I believe one of the selling points CU has had recently, is early play. That is one Major selling point to a 4* recruit that has numerous P5 offers (like Rogers and Lytle), and that is one large advantage has over USC, UCLA, Stanford, etc... Many, physically ready, 4* players can potentially play immediately at CU, where they have diminished odds playing early at those schools that are already loaded with elite athletes and 4* & 5* players. So if you are going to sit out a season or three, would you want it to be for a perennial favorite of that division, league of P5 with a proven track record to get buckets of kids into the NFL or go take a chance? I think there is a big difference between Lytle thinking this was an open competition vs what now seems like Montez's job for the next three years.
I am not saying I want him to go, by any means. We need his skill set in the Black and Gold as well as his recruiting ability of other solid players. He is a great get for CU and of course, be it injury or early departure, he may get time. I hope him following other schools was nothing at all, I think he is a great fit in Boulder!

I believe one of the selling points CU has had recently, is early play. That is one Major selling point to a 4* recruit that has numerous P5 offers (like Rogers and Lytle), and that is one large advantage has over USC, UCLA, Stanford, etc... Many, physically ready, 4* players can potentially play immediately at CU, where they have diminished odds playing early at those schools that are already loaded with elite athletes and 4* & 5* players. So if you are going to sit out a season or three, would you want it to be for a perennial favorite of that division, league of P5 with a proven track record to get buckets of kids into the NFL or go take a chance? I think there is a big difference between Lytle thinking this was an open competition vs what now seems like Montez's job for the next three years.
I am not saying I want him to go, by any means. We need his skill set in the Black and Gold as well as his recruiting ability of other solid players. He is a great get for CU and of course, be it injury or early departure, he may get time. I hope him following other schools was nothing at all, I think he is a great fit in Boulder!

Early playing time is a very overrated pitch. Everyone believes he will play early regardless of where he signs. Not to say that CU isn't saying that there is opportunity, but every program says that. I can guarantee that no one talking to Lytle or anyone else is saying, "If you work really hard and develop as we expect, we think you can get on the field by your 4th year here."

P.S. From what I've seen this year, CU is not less talented than Stanford et al. Buffs have a better record than all the programs you mentioned.

I
Early playing time is a very overrated pitch. Everyone believes he will play early regardless of where he signs. Not to say that CU isn't saying that there is opportunity, but every program says that. I can guarantee that no one talking to Lytle or anyone else is saying, "If you work really hard and develop as we expect, we think you can get on the field by your 4th year here."

I don't hope this happens, by any means. I'm not sure Montez is going to last thru an entire season. He's way too reckless, and the designed QB draws are an accident waiting to happen. He needs to learn to slide! I'm pretty sure that Lytle has to see the way he plays as a way to possibly Wally Pipp him in the future.

Our 2017 QB job hasn't been won by any means. That would be disrespectful to both Noyer and Lytle's talents. Let's try to remember Lytle is not Davis Webb in any way, shape, or form, he's actually always been very clear and respectful with coaching staffs on where he stands. So there's no reason to panic unless we actually hear there's reason to panic.

I don't hope this happens, by any means. I'm not sure Montez is going to last thru an entire season. He's way too reckless, and the designed QB draws are an accident waiting to happen. He needs to learn to slide! I'm pretty sure that Lytle has to see the way he plays as a way to possibly Wally Pipp him in the future.

That is true about the way he's interacted with the media and the coaches. You have to admit though, it's not a great feeling to see that he's recently following every school that was on his radar during his recruitment.

Montezuma will be fine, you learn as you go, he's no exception to that. Lytle will too. We need to get guys in front of them, that would be a start.

Not many programs in the country have a team that don't have someone that plays the QB position, that's solidified. Especially, one that'll be wide open as an underclassman. I hope some competition doesn't scare him.

The difference of coming in behind a RS Junior or RS Senior versus a RS Freshman is big. There are a lot of RS Freshman and true freshman playing lately. Montez by coaches comments and fans will impact the kids decision. Remember we are talking about a kid. I don't think any of the high rated guys are afraid to compete if they feel it is an open competition. Coach Mac was extremely loyal to Sefo and it appears Montez is on his way to EARNED loyalty also. You would have to think that's noted also. In addition, when a program sells on playing early that usually comes back to bite them when their senior goes down and a young existing QB comes in and lights it up. Heck I bet Noyer has the "Oh crap" factor right now as the guy right behind him. You want to come and compete without the other guy having a jump start. I guarantee as soon as Montez broke records schools pounced on Lytle again. It appears the kid loves CU, but I guarantee he's at least listening to other schools. The kid had 28 offers.

Last edited:

Maxpreps had his stats at 12 of 21 for 139 (I'm pretty sure he had a ball tipped and picked but they don't list an INT), which is pretty good when you're team is just totally outclassed. His backup came in sometime late.

Article said his backup came in mid 3rd QTR. Like the run.

Last edited:
If anything, Montez starting the 2nd half last week shows that our staff won't just stick with the vet no matter what.

You guys are scaring me now...I hope he isn't scared of a little competition. But I would be stupid if I didn't believe that maybe he has listened to other colleges recently. I just hope not, we need him.

Look at the mess in Oregon. That's what happens when you don't develop quarterback depth. If Lytle can come in and compete for the starting job from day one, great. It's also not the worst thing to have him spend a year or two learning the system before he comes in and lights it up.

Back