What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2014 Colorado @ WSU Game Thread

I would have rather seen Treshaun in for the defense at the end of the game in exchange for XT. He would have bothered that shot more.

Assuming he didn't drop off the shooter to provide some sort of marginal help defense like most of the frosh were doing all game.

For some reason I thought it was at WSU. No?

Yeah he's right it was in Tuscon, it was the conference opener for them, they still haven't played their official home opener. My point was that Arizona didn't play down to this ****ty team like we did, they defended hard and took the ball at them early and often. We came out flat, let them get their head in the game and then let them play the aggressor for 30 odd minutes.

Also its worth noting i dont think every game should be a blow out, hell these guys were raining three's like none-other; but it was the way we went abotu the game that bugs me. If we come out half that passive in Tuscon we'll lose by 25.

I am starting to think that might be more to do with defensive design than freshman mistakes....over help on lane and live or die with other team beating you from 3

Yeah he's right it was in Tuscon, it was the conference opener for them, they still haven't played their official home opener. My point was that Arizona didn't play down to this ****ty team like we did, they defended hard and took the ball at them early and often. We came out flat, let them get their head in the game and then let them play the aggressor for 30 odd minutes.

Also its worth noting i dont think every game should be a blow out, hell these guys were raining three's like none-other; but it was the way we went abotu the game that bugs me. If we come out half that passive in Tuscon we'll lose by 25.

You generally don't overlook the really good teams.....their performance last night was not up to any kind of standard at all....but it is still a young team and they will tend to put W's in the column before playing the game more often by reputation. Tad will get them over that at some point.

Maybe, just maybe, Arizona is a better basketball team?

Play bad. Win anyway.

It wasn't that long ago when we played bad we get run out of the gym by a team of this level.

You generally don't overlook the really good teams.....their performance last night was not up to any kind of standard at all....but it is still a young team and they will tend to put W's in the column before playing the game more often by reputation. Tad will get them over that at some point.

Agreed that you dont over look really good teams, you also are less apt to come out flat at home, but Arizona is just as young as we are.

Agreed that you dont over look really good teams, you also are less apt to come out flat at home, but Arizona is just as young as we are.

But they were at home...they haven't been in that situation yet....Arizona will play up for UCLA tonight...but lets see how they react at USC this weekend. Then we can compare levels of engagement.

Every team has times they come out flat and play down to the level of the competition. What's disturbing here is just how flat we came out, and how lowly the competition was.

But they were at home...they haven't been in that situation yet....Arizona will play up for UCLA tonight...but lets see how they react at USC this weekend. Then we can compare levels of engagement.

that is a good call.

Play bad. Win anyway.

It wasn't that long ago when we played bad we get run out of the gym by a team of this level.

Tad's first year, against Nebraska (of all schools, huh?) on the road, with conference tournament seeding on the line, and squarely on the NCAA bubble, we come out totally flat and get drilled. Did the same thing on the road against what was a very mediocre OU team that year. Win those games, and there's no sad panda face on TV from Tad's living room on selection Sunday. This WSU game was the same kind of game, but we won. I see huge progress here. I'd be disappointed if we'd lost, but I understand that games like this happen.

Caught up on comments after watching last night. I agree that it is nice to be nit picking bad road wins - no matter how ugly.

One thought I had - Tad has been emphasizing the hostility of road environments, and the two OOC roadies were definitely in hostile environments. I wonder how much of a letdown it was for some of the guys playing in the Spokane morgue? At least that is my hope, maybe the feed off what should be a hostile barn in Seattle.... Glad we had the win and hope that was a one off.

The program is grinding out wins against teams they have trouble getting up for, which is a big step forward. Some of the W's this season would have been losses in the past(Harvard, CSU, WSU). They do need to play with more urgency in the 1st half on the road.

I am starting to think that might be more to do with defensive design than freshman mistakes....over help on lane and live or die with other team beating you from 3

When you drop down on the ball side it leaves the shooter open for the three so if you need to drop down do it from the other side like most teams do.

Most of the 3's CU gave up last night was when the ball was rotated to the weak side off dribble drive or high post feed.

The Buffs have a habit of struggling in weeknight games (CSU, Oregon St.) before pulling off huge weekend victories. (Kansas, Oregon)

Allbuffs posters have a habit of predicting losses in those weekend games based on the performance in the game before.

Hopefully both parties can get over these annoying habits.

I wasn't able to watch last night. So, in this mind, last night was a 40 point blowout, because that counts the same in the standings. On to Seattle!

When you drop down on the ball side it leaves the shooter open for the three so if you need to drop down do it from the other side like most teams do.

CU's man defense is fundamentally solid.....they have chosen to give up some three's to keep teams away from easy baskets on drives. Washington State took the dare and hit a lot of those shots.

They played the #1 team in the country on the road. What's your point?

A team we aspire to beat two or three times this season. The point is a good one. WSU is probably the worst team in the conference this year and should have beaten us last night not because we played terribly, but because we played like we didn't care.

A team we aspire to beat two or three times this season. The point is a good one. WSU is probably the worst team in the conference this year and should have beaten us last night not because we played terribly, but because we played like we didn't care.

And yet we won

CU's man defense is fundamentally solid.....they have chosen to give up some three's to keep teams away from easy baskets on drives. Washington State took the dare and hit a lot of those shots.

I remember watching the OT peroid and Wash State was throwing up prays that were going in. I doubt they make as many threes in any Pac 12 game going forward if Lacy is out.

Wash State might beat a couple low level Pac 12 teams, but I've moved on and I hope the team has moved on.

We are much better than we showed last night, and we have three days to prepare for Washington. I hope Dinwiddie wakes up and is ready from the opening tip. We need him to beat Washington and shut down Wilcox.

And yet we won

Okay. Way to avoid the question begged. Stop defending the effort made by the team because we managed to sneak out of Spokane with a win and acknowledge that we played like dog****, with terrible, nonchalant attitude from the majority of players on our team, including the guy who is supposed to be a lottery pick and our leader. The team has a bad habit of playing down to its competition. This has somehow worked out swell so far, but it isn't going to cut it in March. 4/5/6/7 seed against a 13/12/11/10 seed and we're in big trouble based on last night.

Okay. Way to avoid the question begged. Stop defending the effort made by the team because we managed to sneak out of Spokane with a win and acknowledge that we played like dog****, with terrible, nonchalant attitude from the majority of players on our team, including the guy who is supposed to be a lottery pick and our leader. The team has a bad habit of playing down to its competition. This has somehow worked out swell so far, but it isn't going to cut it in March. 4/5/6/7 seed against a 13/12/11/10 seed and we're in big trouble based on last night.

I didn't defend anything...it was a substandard performance...BUT I am not going to be all doom and gloom because we played bad and WON A GAME

In 20-20 hindsight, we all realize this was a classic situation to "overlook" a team, but Tad knew that and, I'm sure, made that clear to the players. They just did not listen/respond.
Remember in an early game this year, that was way too close, Tad said Rodney had scouted the opponent and the team was told what they were going to do and what we needed to be prepared for? Tad's postgame comment then, was that the players just didn't listen or pay attention to the coaches.
It may be these guys have somewhat swelled heads.

I saw them play OkSt here in Vegas and was sitting three rows behind the CU bench. There were numerous times in that game that players were looking at Boyle with a look or expression that said "Shut the f^ck up and leave me alone". A few times they argued with him quite loudly. I thought it was kind of odd they'd do that and get away with it. They didn't seem to have a lot of respect for him and I found that hard to believe. Has anyone seen that in the games you've been to? I don't know, maybe it was because they were losing and that doesn't happen to often.

I believe Tad had said that he would rather get beat by a team shooting hot from 3 then by giving a bunch of layups. That said, I think he wants to see those 3s be contested, which we struggle to do at times.

Back