What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2017-2018 Bowl Season

Perhaps you do, but your posts don't really reflect it. I also feel confident in saying that trying to grasp what the media rights market place will be like in 6 years based on current market conditions, and the seismic shift in how media is consumed would be risky at best.

Regardless, my original point wasn't really about the specifics of contracts. It was that onealcd stating unequivocally that the number of conference games played and other scheduling options is not and will never be up for discussion is stupid and short-sighted.
Well 3 out of the 5 power conference already play 9 games. The Pac-12 is already way behind the SEC and Big-10 in terms of revenue so there is very little chance they will give up inventory and additional money in order to go to 8 games. So no stupid or short sided, it's just reality more than anything and not something I just made up. Yes there is an opportunity when the contract expires in 2024 and the contract might appear to increase but the telling number will be how much it increases compared to the other conferences because I guarantee if the Pac-12 went to 8 games we would fall behind the Big-12 and ACC.

We are talking hypotheticals. I assume playoff expansion and a desire for teams to still create revenue streams. It is one option.

For years, college basketball teams didn’t schedule tough OOC competition so they could win 30+ games easily. Then, selection got more sophisticated. Playoffs are a new terrain for this sport. It certainly can evolve.

Well teams don't really receive motivation to schedule tougher games as shown this year. There are already 3 OOC slots in the Pac-12 if they want to schedule more interesting games but they just don't because they don't want to lose. Having 8 OOC games definitely doesn't make the ACC and SEC schedules more appealing. Also, this has very little impact on the P12 network since the matchups are split so the inventory immediately goes down and the main OOC matchups are usually always picked up by ESPN and Fox so we are talking about games that wouldn't be on P12 network anyways.

We are talking hypotheticals. I assume playoff expansion and a desire for teams to still create revenue streams. It is one option.

For years, college basketball teams didn’t schedule tough OOC competition so they could win 30+ games easily. Then, selection got more sophisticated. Playoffs are a new terrain for this sport. It certainly can evolve.
Sweet, because if it does then a 9 game conference schedule will work in favor of the Pac-12, Big-12 and Big-10 with 1/4th of the schedule to impress out of conference.

No doubt and I believe it was removed after this season if I read the article from Wilner correctly. I am also in support of the 9 game conference schedule and hope the SEC and ACC go to 9 games. Was interesting to see Frost be so vocal about those two conferences being "smart" this week, which was essentially a way to call them out.

Never liked it myself, especially given the fact that we've had a game committed to little brother for the eight years we've been in this league. Having four OOC slots gives us the ability to play somebody in a recruiting footprint for us that is outside the conference's (Texas!) and when we were building we could have used it to schedule another cupcake.

Never liked it myself, especially given the fact that we've had a game committed to little brother for the eight years we've been in this league. Having four OOC slots gives us the ability to play somebody in a recruiting footprint for us that is outside the conference's (Texas!) and when we were building we could have used it to schedule another cupcake.
Most P5 teams have OOC games against an in-state G5 team, there are still 2 other OOC games you can schedule a game in an outside recruiting footprint. Being mad that CU has to play CSU every year deosn't really have anything to do with a 3 or 4 game OOC schedule, that is 100% self-inflicted. People think 4 OOC games leads to more appealing matchups but it actually leads to the opposite.

Alabama played an 8 game SEC schedule, 3 cupcakes and FSU
CU played a 9 game conference schedule and 3 cupcakes

I know this isn't necessarily always the case, but don't SEC teams typically schedule one P5 (and often times good P5) OOC game? Why is that different than what CU did this year, and why shouldn't the Pac and BIG just stop scheduling good P5 OOC games?

Well 3 out of the 5 power conference already play 9 games. The Pac-12 is already way behind the SEC and Big-10 in terms of revenue so there is very little chance they will give up inventory and additional money in order to go to 8 games. So no stupid or short sided, it's just reality more than anything and not something I just made up. Yes there is an opportunity when the contract expires in 2024 and the contract might appear to increase but the telling number will be how much it increases compared to the other conferences because I guarantee if the Pac-12 went to 8 games we would fall behind the Big-12 and ACC.
The one thing I have wondered about is if the networks wanted an extra week of in conference games for more potential TV coverage. The Pac 12 responded with an offer of a 9 game conference schedule where as the SEC responded with flexibility on scheduling conference games earlier in the year and spreading out 8 conference games. Both netted conferences more money, but bought the SEC more scheduling "flexibility" (i.e. more body bag games and better overall records).

Is this what happened, or am I drawing conclusions without enough facts?

The one thing I have wondered about is if the networks wanted an extra week of in conference games for more potential TV coverage. The Pac 12 responded with an offer of a 9 game conference schedule where as the SEC responded with flexibility on scheduling conference games earlier in the year and spreading out 8 conference games. Both netted conferences more money, but bought the SEC more scheduling "flexibility" (i.e. more body bag games and better overall records).

Is this what happened, or am I drawing conclusions without enough facts?
I have no idea, I just assumed the Pac-12 went with a 9 game schedule because the Pac-10 already played a 9 game schedule.

I have no idea, I just assumed the Pac-12 went with a 9 game schedule because the Pac-10 already played a 9 game schedule.
I actually didn't know that as it was a new point of contention to me after the Buffs joined the Pac-12. There is my "learned something new today"!

Saban is a great coach, no doubt, but it is hardly courageous to replace your QB with a 5 Star QB.
He played 18 true frosh last night including QB, go to rusher at end of game and WR that caught the homerun ball.

He put himself in a place to be widely criticized with his personnel choices on the second half. He doesn’t care.

Well teams don't really receive motivation to schedule tougher games as shown this year....
not sure the data backs this up. referring here to SoS at end of the regular season, all four playoff teams were in the top 10 for SoS.

Most P5 teams have OOC games against an in-state G5 team, there are still 2 other OOC games you can schedule a game in an outside recruiting footprint. Being mad that CU has to play CSU every year deosn't really have anything to do with a 3 or 4 game OOC schedule, that is 100% self-inflicted. People think 4 OOC games leads to more appealing matchups but it actually leads to the opposite.

Every single year? I can think of one other setup in college football like the RMS-TCU/SMU. Its not as prevalent as you think. As far as 3 OOC games vs. 4, its all about how you use those games. When we were in the Big 12, we very rarely scheduled the "bye week cleverly disguised as a football game".

College football is a meritocracy. Many posters here hate that. The NFL draft is a player replacement system structured to encourage parity, because the NFL is a business. Remember the phrase "On any given Sunday" Blah blah blah ....The two business models couldn't be more different.

Every single year? I can think of one other setup in college football like the RMS-TCU/SMU. Its not as prevalent as you think. As far as 3 OOC games vs. 4, its all about how you use those games. When we were in the Big 12, we very rarely scheduled the "bye week cleverly disguised as a football game".
Not the same team every single year but most programs play a local G5 school every year. We just messed up and signed a long-term contract with CSU every year when it should have been mixed up a little bit between CSU, AFA, Wyo and some off years.

Read a couple of reports today that Tua was going to transfer after the championship agame to UCLA and would have been fine with sitting next year to do so.

Read a couple of reports today that Tua was going to transfer after the championship agame to UCLA and would have been fine with sitting next year to do so.

Nick Saban's ultra conservatism on offense, the Marcus Mariotta - Tua connection and the fact Chip Kelly was going to take over UCLA gave a lot of credibility to that rumor. Thank God for us, Saban decided to play Tua and he became a Roll Tide legend.

Could be wrong but I think the 9 game schedule was a carry over from pre- CU/Utah expansion when a nine game schedule meant every team in the league played each other once every year. I remember a lot of complaining/concern from Washington and Oregon about not playing SC/UCLA every year and the impact on recruiting SoCal.

Holy crap that would have sucked.

That kid is going to be a pain in everyone else's ass for at least 2 more years.

Downright ridiculous to see how a national writer defends the SEC scheduling and Alabama's reluctance to travel for true road games.

https://twitter.com/Andy_Staples
if Alabama can put together a top 10 SoS schedule without going on the road for OOC games, unless systematic rule changes force them differently, why shouldn't they continue to do so?

expecting Alabama, or any school, to unilaterally make moves against their own interests doesn't seem totally realistic.

if Alabama can put together a top 10 SoS schedule without going on the road for OOC games, unless systematic rule changes force them differently, why shouldn't they continue to do so?

expecting Alabama, or any school, to unilaterally make moves against their own interests doesn't seem totally realistic.
It's funny seeing people argue this. Other conferences need to adjust to this way of thinking, unless something is mandated through the NCAA.

I guess I just wouldn't use that website as gospel, Alabama didn't have a strong schedule this year and it was pointed out by almost everyone in the media, SEC media included. They played 3 top 25 teams, lost one of those games and the other two were bottom top 25 teams anyway. If you compare those to other teams is isn't even really close.

From the Wilner Daily Email Summary (yes, you should subscribe)

If the Pac-12 gets shut out of the College Football Playoff next season, it won’t be because of an east coast bias inside the selection committee.

The balance tipped significantly to the west this week with the announcement that Oregon athletic director Rob Mullens has been elevated to chair and with the appointment of two new members: USC legend Ronnie Lott and former Arizona Republic sports columnist Paola Boivin (who currently serves as a professor at ASU’s Cronkite School). Both are excellent selections.

I don't believe the previous four CFP committees had an east coast bias or displayed any signs of bias, but let’s be honest about committees in general:

The mere fact that the other 10 members will spend so much time with Mullens, Boivin and Lott -- that they will develop relationships with them over the course of years -- could have a subtle impact on opinion and voting. It's human nature.

This will be the fifth year of the CFP. With the chair and two other members, the Pac-12 will have its greatest presence yet and will get the fairest shake possible. Now all it has to do is win. — Jon Wilner

Back