What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2017-2018 Bowl Season

All I can say after the 2018 season is that unless the SEC and ACC decide to move to 9 conference games, the PAC12 and Big10 need to move back to 8 and clean up scheduling. They are tying one hand behind their back and bringing a knife to a gun fight. The Power 5 need to have a consistent scheduling philosophy.

All I can say after the 2018 season is that unless the SEC and ACC decide to move to 9 conference games, the PAC12 and Big10 need to move back to 8 and clean up scheduling. They are tying one hand behind their back and bringing a knife to a gun fight. The Power 5 need to have a consistent scheduling philosophy.
never going to happen so it's pointless to bring up.

never going to happen so it's pointless to bring up.
I know right! I mean people have been begging for a playoff in college football for decades and we all know that will never happen.

As College Football moves to an 8 team playoff, I think we will see a move to a consistent Power 5 conference schedule.

I know right! I mean people have been begging for a playoff in college football for decades and we all know that will never happen.
The Pac-12 signed a deal through 2024 so the networks wouldn't just allow them to drop conference games for body bag games without giving up money. If you don't believe me go read Wilner, he said the same thing.

The Pac-12 signed a deal through 2024 so the networks wouldn't just allow them to drop conference games for body bag games without giving up money. If you don't believe me go read Wilner, he said the same thing.
So 2024 is never? I didn't know that 6 years equals eternity.

You are right, it was totally pointless to bring it up.

With eight conference games and tighter scheduling regulations, perhaps we could get more interesting OOC hone/home matchups like they get in basketball. These games could be broadcast by the network of the home team’s conference with revenue sharing in mind. Of course, this would require that the P12 network be broadcast on DirecTV so other folks outside our footprint or who prefer better TV can see the games.

You’re right! It is pointless since we have a network hardly watched by people even in our key demos.......

With eight conference games and tighter scheduling regulations, perhaps we could get more interesting OOC hone/home matchups like they get in basketball. These games could be broadcast by the network of the home team’s conference with revenue sharing in mind. Of course, this would require that the P12 network be broadcast on DirecTV so other folks outside our footprint or who prefer better TV can see the games.

You’re right! It is pointless since we have a network hardly watched by people even in our key demos.......
First of all I don't think it is a bad idea or anything I just said it is pointless because it isn't going to happen and this has been echoed by many journalists, including the main Pac-12 writer in Wilner.

Second of all your logic is flawed. You say you want to drop a conference game so the conference has a better chance at the playoff but then you want the teams to schedule better OOC teams in that slot so it makes it just as tough as before. Third, trusting teams to schedule tough when given another opportunity is dumb, it has been shown with the SEC and ACC that they will take this extra OOC game and do whatever serves them best to win more games.

Do you want the Pac-12 to make less money?
The whole point of a contract terminating is so that terms can be renegotiated. This is a pretty standard business practice.

I think that the number of conference games that are played can absolutely be negotiated favorably, especially in light of the fact that more favorable scheduling could actually lead to better conference and team positioning nationally, thus generating more interest and viewership.

The whole point of a contract terminating is so that terms can be renegotiated. This is a pretty standard business practice.

I think that the number of conference games that are played can absolutely be negotiated favorably, especially in light of the fact that more favorable scheduling could actually lead to better conference and team positioning nationally, thus generating more interest and viewership.
If you think the networks are going to just let the Pac-12 go from 9 to 8 conference games while making the same amount of money then I don't know what to tell you. If you decrease the inventory of conference games they are going to offer less money, it is simple economics. These networks don't have any control over OOC scheduling and they might get lucky with some matchups that teams sign but it isn't the top priority like conference games where they have rights to the game no matter what.

You really want to terminate the Pac 12's tv contracts and renegotiate in the middle of this cord cutter epidemic that has ESPN firing half of their staff to try to stay in the black?

I thought since the p12 owned its own content it was impervious to the demands of the networks.

You really want to terminate the Pac 12's tv contracts and renegotiate in the middle of this cord cutter epidemic that has ESPN firing half of their staff to try to stay in the black?
Um, the contract terms in 2024. It has nothing to do with what I want. Do people not really understand how contracts work?

If you think the networks are going to just let the Pac-12 go from 9 to 8 conference games while making the same amount of money then I don't know what to tell you. If you decrease the inventory of conference games they are going to offer less money, it is simple economics. These networks don't have any control over OOC scheduling and they might get lucky with some matchups that teams sign but it isn't the top priority like conference games where they have rights to the game no matter what.
In fact I expect the networks to allow the Pac 12 to go to 8 conference games and pay more money. It may not be ESPN/Fox in 2024. It may be YouTube and Amazon. We just have no idea what is coming and who will be wanting to bid for the rights to sports programming.

In fact I expect the networks to allow the Pac 12 to go to 8 conference games and pay more money. It may not be ESPN/Fox in 2024. It may be YouTube and Amazon. We just have no idea what is coming and who will be wanting to bid for the rights to sports programming.
Yeah I am sure they are all just sitting around waiting for the Pac-12 contract to come up to get a hold of those huge ratings, which will of course go down from their already low level when you add more G5 and FCS opponents into the mix.

Um, the contract terms in 2024. It has nothing to do with what I want. Do people not really understand how contracts work?
I'm pretty confident I have at least an equal grasp on how contracts work and a much better understanding of the current market conditions.

I’m calling the SEC, mostly Bama, winning yet again a yawner. Reminds me of Jordan’s Bulls.
Far from a yawner. They had to bump it to win. Maybe the most gutsy call ever by a coach in a championship game. Onions. Not yawns.

Far from a yawner. They had to bump it to win. Maybe the most gutsy call ever by a coach in a championship game. Onions. Not yawns.
Saban is a great coach, no doubt, but it is hardly courageous to replace your QB with a 5 Star QB.

We don't have to get rid of the 9 conference games YET-I think the dumb stuff like having teams play on the road on Friday following Saturday road games and having teams play multiple Friday night games a year needs to stop.

We don't have to get rid of the 9 conference games YET-I think the dumb stuff like having teams play on the road on Friday following Saturday road games and having teams play multiple Friday night games a year needs to stop.
No doubt and I believe it was removed after this season if I read the article from Wilner correctly. I am also in support of the 9 game conference schedule and hope the SEC and ACC go to 9 games. Was interesting to see Frost be so vocal about those two conferences being "smart" this week, which was essentially a way to call them out.

I'm pretty confident I have at least an equal grasp on how contracts work and a much better understanding of the current market conditions.
Perhaps you do, but your posts don't really reflect it. I also feel confident in saying that trying to grasp what the media rights market place will be like in 6 years based on current market conditions, and the seismic shift in how media is consumed would be risky at best.

Regardless, my original point wasn't really about the specifics of contracts. It was that onealcd stating unequivocally that the number of conference games played and other scheduling options is not and will never be up for discussion is stupid and short-sighted.

You’re arguing against points I didn’t make (i.e. 8 games increase likelihood of being in playoffs) and my logic is flawed?

I think 8 games for everybody makes college football more interesting. In a world where teams receive motivation to schedule tougher games, I have no qualms about eliminating a conference game in favor of an OOC matchup. I happen to think that networks/leagues can negotiate terms to make it favorable, but I see the first step as creating a viable P12 network that people can actually watch.

First of all I don't think it is a bad idea or anything I just said it is pointless because it isn't going to happen and this has been echoed by many journalists, including the main Pac-12 writer in Wilner.

Second of all your logic is flawed. You say you want to drop a conference game so the conference has a better chance at the playoff but then you want the teams to schedule better OOC teams in that slot so it makes it just as tough as before. Third, trusting teams to schedule tough when given another opportunity is dumb, it has been shown with the SEC and ACC that they will take this extra OOC game and do whatever serves them best to win more games.

You’re arguing against points I didn’t make (i.e. 8 games increase likelihood of being in playoffs) and my logic is flawed?

I think 8 games for everybody makes college football more interesting. In a world where teams receive motivation to schedule tougher games, I have no qualms about eliminating a conference game in favor of an OOC matchup. I happen to think that networks/leagues can negotiate terms to make it favorable, but I see the first step as creating a viable P12 network that people can actually watch.
Well teams don't really receive motivation to schedule tougher games as shown this year. There are already 3 OOC slots in the Pac-12 if they want to schedule more interesting games but they just don't because they don't want to lose. Having 8 OOC games definitely doesn't make the ACC and SEC schedules more appealing. Also, this has very little impact on the P12 network since the matchups are split so the inventory immediately goes down and the main OOC matchups are usually always picked up by ESPN and Fox so we are talking about games that wouldn't be on P12 network anyways.

Back