What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018-2019 Coaching Carousel..

Every year jobs open that are unexpected so there will be more competition for us than you expect - also USC is likely to be open as well.

I still don’t get the Seth Littrell love - one of Mac’s biggest failings was his inability to put together a legit P5 staff and now we’re going to hire a guy with a very similar resume and no evidence (that anyone has shown me) that he has the connections to put together a legit P5 staff. I know lots of people like him but I still don’t see it.

Agree with you and SnC about seth, not yet, not proven....

I'm starting to think that urb and ohio st will break up after this season. Then they make a home run hire - Matt Campbell. I think he actually has an out in his contract for that job.
Actually heard some chatter about that as far as Urban. It was our local guy who gets his stuff from ESPN, so I guess people have been talking about it.

It means he is rising up the ranks pretty rapidly. MM has pretty much zero connections outside of Cutcliffe whereas Littrell has jumped around quite a bit.
Meh, Lane Kiffin rose pretty quickly too I don’t see how that’s necessarily a positive unless you really think you’re catching a rising star before he’s too coveted to consider CU. I could definitely be wrong, I just don’t see much there with Littrell to get really excited about. 3 years with a decent record in Conference USA is very Mac like IMO.

Meh, Lane Kiffin rose pretty quickly too I don’t see how that’s necessarily a positive unless you really think you’re catching a rising star before he’s too coveted to consider CU. I could definitely be wrong, I just don’t see much there with Littrell to get really excited about. 3 years with a decent record in Conference USA is very Mac like IMO.

The facts would say otherwise. Let's compare MM's three years at San Jose State to Littrell's UNT tenure:
MacIntyre:
2009 (Year before he got there): 2-10, 1-7 WAC
2010: 1-12, 0-8 WAC
2011: 5-7,3-4 WAC
2012: 10-2, 5-1 WAC

MacIntyre's record at SJSU: 16-21

Littrell:
2015 (year before he got there): 1-11, 1-7 CUSA
2016: 5-8, 3-5 CUSA (bowl appearance at 5-7 via APR)
2017: 9-5, 7-1 CUSA (division title)
2018: 7-2, 3-2 CUSA

Littrell at UNT: 21-16

MM had a losing record at SJSU and got this job off of one great season. North Texas has gotten steadily better under Littrell-4 win improvement in year one, a division title in year two, and three straight bowl appearances more than likely.

The one thing you are neglecting in making a straight comparison between Littrell and MM is Littrell is seven years younger at roughly equivalent points in their careers.

May be another significant difference as well.

MM had exactly one winning season at San Jose in three years and so far one winning season in five at CU. Littrell took over a 1-11 program and this year will be his second winning season in three years.

If winning matters they are not the same guy.

Edit: ahoelsken beat me to it.

The facts would say otherwise. Let's compare MM's three years at San Jose State to Littrell's UNT tenure:
MacIntyre:
2009 (Year before he got there): 2-10, 1-7 WAC
2010: 1-12, 0-8 WAC
2011: 5-7,3-4 WAC
2012: 10-2, 5-1 WAC

MacIntyre's record at SJSU: 16-21

Littrell:
2015 (year before he got there): 1-11, 1-7 CUSA
2016: 5-8, 3-5 CUSA (bowl appearance at 5-7 via APR)
2017: 9-5, 7-1 CUSA (division title)
2018: 7-2, 3-2 CUSA

Littrell at UNT: 21-16

MM had a losing record at SJSU and got this job off of one great season. North Texas has gotten steadily better under Littrell-4 win improvement in year one, a division title in year two, and three straight bowl appearances more than likely.
You’re right, their careers are not EXACTLY the same, thanks for setting the record straight.
10FE6B87-6B94-4CD1-886A-5708570D2676.gif

That seems like one of the worst jobs in college football for anyone with options - am I wrong?

No-I actually started wondering if they'd keep him......got a conference win (first in a couple years), and he's got them at 3 wins, so one could make an argument that they're getting better. This would make sense given what Nik said yesterday about them thinking they've got Les Miles lined up to take over. I think given that you could also make a case that RG believes if he moves on from MM he's got a pretty attractive gig to pitch if Miles (a friend of his with ties here-is talking to Kansas right now).

You’re right, their careers are not EXACTLY the same, thanks for setting the record straight.

The point I'm trying to make is there's more substance with Littrell than there was with MM-he's built up that program and kept it rolling-which you can't say for MM's tenure here.

Bring back Gary Barnett.

Think about it - it's the perfect solution. Gives us that nostalgic glory days hope, he's available, he's affordable, he's proven successful at CU, and players will want to be a part of the team that played in Big 12 championships, routed Nebraska, and produced Chris Brown, Jeremy Bloom...

The point I'm trying to make is there's more substance with Littrell than there was with MM-he's built up that program and kept it rolling-which you can't say for MM's tenure here.
He’s in year 3 - how do you know he built it up and kept it rolling? Mac won 10 games in year 3 at SJSU and topped out in year 4 here - how can you be so sure about Littrell not even 3 full seasons in?

Bring back Gary Barnett.

Think about it - it's the perfect solution. Gives us that nostalgic glory days hope, he's available, he's affordable, he's proven successful at CU, and players will want to be a part of the team that played in Big 12 championships, routed Nebraska, and produced Chris Brown, Jeremy Bloom...
I’m hopeful this was posted in jest.

He’s in year 3 - how do you know he built it up and kept it rolling? Mac won 10 games in year 3 at SJSU and topped out in year 4 here - how can you be so sure about Littrell not even 3 full seasons in?

Because I see five wins to 9 to 7-2 this year to this point with three games left.

I don't know enough about Littrell to be an advocate for him but I do think winning matters. What we have seen with MM is that he doesn't seem to have the urgency to win that motivates him to seek and make necessary changes quickly.

There are very few guys who have won big at the top that didn't win big on the way up. Winners win. Don't see that from MM.

Because I see five wins to 9 to 7-2 this year to this point with three games left.
And Mac went 1 win, 5 wins, 10 wins at a more difficult place to win. Both were great improvements and on positive trajectories. I’m not seeing how you can look at two similar 3 year samples and see more “substance” with Litrells performance or evidence he can “keep it rolling”.

I think we can stipulate to agree that any coach who goes from a G5 HC to getting hired as a P5 HC is going to have had success with an upward trajectory at the G5 program.

Sometimes that means a lot, sometimes it doesn't. Just like some successful coordinators make great head coaches and some don't.

Bring back Gary Barnett.

That sounds like a dynamite recruiting pitch for 2020 and beyond.

The carousel begins to spin:

Open jobs:

BGSU- Mike Jinks the first casualty (h/t Mtn.)
Maryland- DJ Dirkin gets the hook for just one dead player, can you believe it? (h/t SewallBeach)
KU- Beaty out (h/t TSchek), Les Miles in play (h/t nik)

Possibles:

USC- Helton on thin ice, Jack Del Rio rumors (h/t onealcd)
UCONN- Edsall not winning
Louisville- Petrino not only not winning, getting blown out.
CU- Who knows, byut the natives are restless (probably will be its own thread if something concrete happens).
Rutgers- Chris Ash
Illinois- Lovie Smith
UNC- Larry Fedora
Okie Lite- The Mullet man

Possibles are largely guesses based on coaches who have been at their respective schools for a while and not winning much.

Back