What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2022 Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
NIL is great for a program like Nebraska - a place whose only redeeming quality is a fan base willing to mortgage their livelihood for the good of the program. They have money and that’s the great equalizer in todays college football.
NIL, and transfer portal…but especially NIL, are what will turn the Nub program around.

Kids will see how terrible of a place Lincoln is, but realize that they’ll be there a short time, get paid well, and be treated like the celebrities they hope to be.

It’s a shame that CU didn’t prepare for the moment that the NIL ribbon was cut. Too bad it’d become a grey-area Fed issue for CO based dispensaries to have Buffs players in an advert…

Not a single 4* player on this roster..

My nieces husband rolled (NDSU DC) rolled Montana State...they coach 'em up...they'd kick our ass..#1 scoring D in FCS...He won FCS Coordinator of the year..

Go Bison...

No. I will not respect your decision. You put it out in public and ask everyone to think it is something special, about which no one can comment. The level of narcissism is kind of staggering. That said, good luck.
Leaving for $$ changes things. They are no longer amateur and need to grow the **** up and accept the fact that fans are going to be pissed when they bail. Wanna be a professional and get paid? Act as if

NIL, and transfer portal…but especially NIL, are what will turn the Nub program around.

Kids will see how terrible of a place Lincoln is, but realize that they’ll be there a short time, get paid well, and be treated like the celebrities they hope to be.

It’s a shame that CU didn’t prepare for the moment that the NIL ribbon was cut. Too bad it’d become a grey-area Fed issue for CO based dispensaries to have Buffs players in an advert…
Exactly.

At this point, the transfer portal is really not about football. It's about getting paid.

And this is going to make for a really strange dynamic on the teams that end up paying big amounts to some players. You are going to have locker rooms with a mix of suddenly wealthy players and players who are true amateurs, making nothing but their scholarships. I can't think of any other place where this dynamic has played out with the idea that "we are all one team" being the goal. The way the money is going to be disbursed is not going to be remotely fair or equitable, and that fact will become glaring throughout the course of a season. Do well-known players who get injured continue to make bank while their backups who end up playing the whole season don't? Because the payment scheme is about "image" and not about performance, how will teammates feel about being passed over for the big money, while another teammate buys himself a Porsche?

The weirdest part of this is that the "employer" is not paying the "employees," it's entirely third-party. So where do the interpersonal allegiances rest, ultimately? And then the other weird part is that the third-party is not really paying for "work" that benefits itself, its truly a shame transaction, with a faux "benefit." These LLC are simply legal entities used as fronts to expressly allow what was illegal just a year or two ago. RG is exactly right about that. Problem is, now, it is apparently completely legal, and you really have to join in to get left WAY WAY behind.

Last edited:
Is this staff even prioritizing the transfer portal as a way to fill some of these positions? I haven’t heard much other than us signing a QB that I don’t think anyone expects to contribute next year and the lineman from Ok State who visited. So many times it just seems like this program does the opposite of what even a semi-successful one would do.

Exactly.

At this point, the transfer portal is really not about football. It's about getting paid.

And this is going to make for a really strange dynamic on the teams that end up paying big amounts to some players. You are going to have locker rooms with a mix of suddenly wealthy players and players who are true amateurs, making nothing but their scholarships. I can't think of any other place where this dynamic has played out with the idea that "we are all one team" being the goal. The way the money is going to be disbursed is not going to be remotely fair or equitable, and that fact will become glaring throughout the course of a season. Do well-known players who get injured continue to make bank while their backups who end up playing the whole season don't? Because the payment scheme is about "image" and not about performance, how will teammates feel about being passed over for the big money, while another teammate buys himself a Porsche?

The weirdest part of this is that the "employer" is not paying the "employees," it's entirely third-party. So where do the interpersonal allegiances rest, ultimately? And then the other weird part is that the third-party is not really paying for "work" that benefits itself, its truly a shame transaction, with a faux "benefit." These LLC are simply legal entities used as fronts to expressly allow what was illegal just a year or two ago. RG is exactly right about that. Problem is, now, it is apparently completely legal, and you really have to join in to get left WAY WAY behind.
Yeah, if only there were other examples of sports teams where players all got paid different amounts and some had lucrative advertising deals and others didn’t. Really struggling trying to figure out what other situations have that dynamic.

Yeah, if only there were other examples of sports teams where players all got paid different amounts and some had lucrative advertising deals and others didn’t. Really struggling trying to figure out what other situations have that dynamic.
Your snark skips over the fact that players on professional teams ALL get paid, and there's usually a hefty minimum. NFL minimum salary is nearly half-a-million dollars a year. Sure. It's not what the QB gets, but it is still a real payment/salary, and that payment comes from the team, not solely from some third party.

The trajectory of teams is getting accelerated exponentially. I fully expected a few abysmal years but didn’t think it would happen so quick. Fortunately positive momentum can potentially work the same way. Get a fired up, charismatic guy with a vision and a program could probably turn around a lot quicker than 5-10 years ago
what is abysmal - have we not been there for 20 years?

Is this staff even prioritizing the transfer portal as a way to fill some of these positions? I haven’t heard much other than us signing a QB that I don’t think anyone expects to contribute next year and the lineman from Ok State who visited. So many times it just seems like this program does the opposite of what even a semi-successful one would do.

I think KD preference is to focus on high school recruits and add one or two players from the transfer portal. That strategy will most likely get him fired.

The whole “you couldn’t pay me to spend 5 years of my life in Lincoln” is now being put to the test.

Transfer portal provides awesome equity for athletes. We will simply have to adjust our new normal.
It also provides a lot of false hope and a lot of kids will be left in the dust with nothing. Yeah, there are the “star” guys who are transferring for whatever reason. Those guys make the headlines. But there are a lot more who won’t find anything or will have to step down to a lower level.

David Ubben at the Athletic had a novel idea on how to stop the anarchy and chaos - schools pay the players. They have contracts. You can’t leave for X years while we pay you Y a year. Kids get paid, colleges get control, everyone is happy except for the yelling at clouds crew.
What about the swim team, the volleyball team? Does everyone get paid? How many programs get dropped because the AD can’t afford all of those salaries?

What about the swim team, the volleyball team? Does everyone get paid? How many programs get dropped because the AD can’t afford all of those salaries?
Yeah this really only works if fans and donors shift their investments to the other sports. Which wouldn't happen.

Reactions: DBT
I think KD preference is to focus on high school recruits and add one or two players from the transfer portal. That strategy will most likely get him fired.
Yup. Not that he will be around that long, but any good HS kid will transfer out as soon as his stock is up.

Here we go again. Reacting to every transfer like it is the end of the world. There is going to be more transfrs even after spring ball. CU is going to add guys even during summer. Lers calm down and wait for the final roster. At the end of the day, CU will need to play better on the OL and DL to be a better football team. There are good prospects in the secondary that we can still add from the portal. CU will probably add one Corner and one safety. The young guys like Dixson, Xavier, Oake, Mills, Harris and Wiggins will play early. Hopefully Woods, N Reed, Taylor and Moore can take the next step in their development. We are going to be a young team not by choice. But no point sulking. The coaches got to coach them up, starting with spring football. The goods news is Wiggins, Oake, X Smith I think are early enrolees. M Blackmon didn't really play down the stretch last season. It was the young guys like Moore and Reed that played alongside C Gonzeles.
This has to be an account run by the admins to keep the conversation going and the posters engaged, right? No one can be this clueless.

Last edited:
This has to be an account run by the admins to keep the conversation going and the posters engaged, right? No one can be the clueless.

In the name of the Junta I’d like to thank you for your suggestion and while we appreciate that you trust us to write such fantastic fiction sometimes reality is better than fiction and we lack the creativity to continuously come up with posts of such an incredibly high entertainment level.

This is a problem inherent in the new, ad hoc system. Once a team starts to lose players, it’s going to become a cascade problem. How do you get players to come to (or stay at) a sinking ship. It may become a reality that a number of teams are incapable of fielding real teams…. We seem to be at the front of that line….

I knew this was going to continue to cascade like this when I saw RG’s press conference, without even knowing what he was going to say specifically. You don’t have a press conference like that if you haven’t been hearing ominous warnings from players, both in the program and out. I lay bets they’ve had players tell them—outright—that they have been promised NIL money elsewhere and don’t see CU as being competitive in that (and even on multiple levels).

This really isn’t even about football right now. it’s about perception and money. This is an unprecedented moment in sports, as far as I can tell.

The lack of transfer portal signings is the big red flag (we have one QB with a really odd tape, right?). I think it’s highly likely this may not end until it truly raises issues with fielding a team. Does this become a player safety issue at some point, having to play guys who really shouldn’t be out there? I suppose we can take a bunch of former walk-ons. Not sure what that looks like.
Its a **** show for sure. I guess the next step is an NCAA or court change where being able to pay players and sign them to contracts is allowed . I dont see how our program, really any program, can rebuild if players can transfer whenever they like Willy nilly.

The economics of that change doesnt really favor but only a few schools given title IX and “olympic” sports.

However, another argument could be that it’s easier to get a kid to commit because, “Hey, if you find it isn’t working out, you can always transfer.” Is that a winning strategy? Nope. I don’t think that would be a great sales pitch but maybe a recruit may consider that in his/her evaluation.

Crazy as it sounds, I could actually see our HS recruiting improve as a result of the portal. Blue blood programs may shift their roster building strategy to take fewer HS kids every year with the goal of pulling 6-8 transfers. If you’re a blue blood, why not recruit proven college football players instead of taking risks in HS kids who may not pan out - let other schools take risks on HS kids, then poach the good ones. That may actually mean more highly rated kids are available out of HS - it doesn’t mean they will stay more than a year or two, but may see a ratings bump in the signing classes.

Crazy as it sounds, I could actually see our HS recruiting improve as a result of the portal. Blue blood programs may shift their roster building strategy to take fewer HS kids every year with the goal of pulling 6-8 transfers. If you’re a blue blood, why not recruit proven college football players instead of taking risks in HS kids who may not pan out - let other schools take risks on HS kids, then poach the good ones. That may actually mean more highly rated kids are available out of HS - it doesn’t mean they will stay more than a year or two, but may see a ratings bump in the signing classes.
Blue blood teams understand the value of elite prep players who can step in and play immediately.

Great news for them is that they can foist all of their prep misses on the portal and pick up the best of the transfer market. Double win.

Blue blood teams understand the value of elite prep players who can step in and play immediately.

Great news for them is that they can foist all of their prep misses on the portal and pick up the best of the transfer market. Double win.
They’ll still get the cream, but those 4* kids with maybe an injury history or some work ethic questions they can afford to pass on because they’ll bring in transfers with far less risk.

Coaches hate this. Much of what they love about coaching is the player development side. We're now in a world where they are too often developing someone to go somewhere else or just loading talent for a season & trying to get it to gel. All the while, they're having to deal with a constant new set of morale issues - having to constantly recruit players already in their own programs who are upset with their minutes, roles, or pay & looking for a better deal. Right now, there are guys who are in their 2nd or 3rd program without ever having a chance to truly develop as players.

Coaches hate this. Much of what they love about coaching is the player development side. We're now in a world where they are too often developing someone to go somewhere else or just loading talent for a season & trying to get it to gel. All the while, they're having to deal with a constant new set of morale issues - having to constantly recruit players already in their own programs who are upset with their minutes, roles, or pay & looking for a better deal. Right now, there are guys who are in their 2nd or 3rd program without ever having a chance to truly develop as players.
I think this whole thing ends up ballooning coaches salaries even further than they just did.

If you are in a desperate CU like situation as a program it sure seems like the best answer is to go out and hire a big, big, BIG name coach who recruits recognize right out of the gate and will stay committed to. Urban Meyer, for one. I could even see guys specializing in being a "fixer" like some CEOs do. Come in to a struggling program, hire a great staff, turn things around, groom an heir, move on to the next one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back