What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2022 Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
They’ll still get the cream, but those 4* kids with maybe an injury history or some work ethic questions they can afford to pass on because they’ll bring in transfers with far less risk.
You would still have the “farm team” problem. As other programs develop, say, a three star or four star with baggage, they may get sniped in the portal if they develop like Gonzalez.

Man, just saw Lloyd Murray is headed to Sam Houston St. Stinks guys are bailing on a P5 program to head to FCS, Tulane, etc. Gonzo’s move I get, as much as I don’t like it, but guys are literally bailing to just go somewhere else (with even less NIL potential) vs a great destination. The fail on HCKD part is strong.

Man, just saw Lloyd Murray is headed to Sam Houston St. Stinks guys are bailing on a P5 program to head to FCS, Tulane, etc. Gonzo’s move I get, as much as I don’t like it, but guys are literally bailing to just go somewhere else (with even less NIL potential) vs a great destination. The fail on HCKD part is strong.
SHSU wins.
CU doesn't.

NIL aside, don't underestimate a kid's desire to play for a team that has a shot at doing something positive each season.

They are not bailing to go to FCS Schools

Crazy as it sounds, I could actually see our HS recruiting improve as a result of the portal. Blue blood programs may shift their roster building strategy to take fewer HS kids every year with the goal of pulling 6-8 transfers. If you’re a blue blood, why not recruit proven college football players instead of taking risks in HS kids who may not pan out - let other schools take risks on HS kids, then poach the good ones. That may actually mean more highly rated kids are available out of HS - it doesn’t mean they will stay more than a year or two, but may see a ratings bump in the signing classes.
If you had the right HC you could sell kids on coming to a program that's burned to the ground, as starting as an underclassman is now more important at a non-elite schools since guys will be looking to start for a couple of years and then move up the food chain.

I’ll point out that lower 3 star and even some tweener 4 star kids sometimes are not physically or mentally prepared to be starting and attending college in year 1 or 2. Offering starting positions to HS kids who are going to get bullied and bashed and injured is also not a recipe for recruiting. I will state that offer might work for a few athlete type players/wrs/rbs. But most of the time the 4 star guys CU gets aren’t even good enough to start as a True Freshman.

Every one have their own reasons for transfering. We don't know why Lloyd Murray Jr left. But that didn't stop some one from using it to attack KD. I am going to quote Chase Penry "I understand it is a business, but my business is to win at CU".

Accoring to Adam.

RJ Sneed WR
Cade Bennent OG
Vance Wells C/G
Gabe Jeudy S

Will visit this weekend.

Not to be too pearl-clutchy, but the O-Line is a real crisis and the DB room needs a few B+ portal guys. I read somewhere here that CU can't/won't admit new players once the semester begins. Can someone verify this? If true, 2022 just becomes an exercise in whether the good ship Ralphie sinks in 80 feet of water or 120 feet. JMHO.

I’ll point out that lower 3 star and even some tweener 4 star kids sometimes are not physically or mentally prepared to be starting and attending college in year 1 or 2. Offering starting positions to HS kids who are going to get bullied and bashed and injured is also not a recipe for recruiting. I will state that offer might work for a few athlete type players/wrs/rbs. But most of the time the 4 star guys CU gets aren’t even good enough to start as a True Freshman.

It is on a case by case bases. I actually think most HS kids are not ready to start from day one. It doesn't matter if you are a 4 star or 5 star or 1 star. But we do have some guys that go under the radar that are 2 star that are ready to start from day one. I keep thinking of guys like Greg Henderson and Niko Reed.

Not to be too pearl-clutchy, but the O-Line is a real crisis and the DB room needs a few B+ portal guys. I read somewhere here that CU can't/won't admit new players once the semester begins. Can someone verify this? If true, 2022 just becomes an exercise in whether the good ship Ralphie sinks in 80 feet of water or 120 feet. JMHO.
This must not be true. Reports out there of portal visitors coming this weekend.

This must not be true. Reports out there of portal visitors coming this weekend.
Thanks. Yeah, it seemed a little weird to me. Hopefully the Buffs get a few guys signed off of these visits. Need to have a functional spring practice.

You are not being pearl clutchy.

Filip is probably the only OL left that is P12 caliber. He is, when healthy, probably above average in the P12. After that, you Wiley, Roddick and Ray, and then it falls off. Wiley, Roddick and Ray all struggled frequently. To say it is a crisis is not an overstatement.

Another Grim Observation on the Portal:

We focus on high performing guys like Gonzo and high potential guys like Rice leaving, but then you're also going to have guys like L Murray and Keith Miller hitting the portal for nothing more than a fresh start and more playing time. Most college teams are going through this now and it's got to be a pain in terms of time and personnel management for the staff members to be in this new reality. The predictable guys leaving is one thing but losing depth that's familiar with your system and terminology is big stress because you've gotta replace them too. Ugh.

They’ll still get the cream, but those 4* kids with maybe an injury history or some work ethic questions they can afford to pass on because they’ll bring in transfers with far less risk.
Nah. They will invest more money into their scouting operations to take the right players as they always do. They still understand the value of prep players. A guy with 3-4 years of availability instead of 2-3 is a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back