What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2022 Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if that becomes a consideration for player transfers?
Well as they don't pay for class or dorms - it would seem that portion of the equation doesn't apply. It is probably easier for them to find someone to take the class for them if it is remote.

And that 1/24 date is now up in the air. I know personally, 5-6 students who are done with paying for online classes and dorms they are not allowed in and are transferring. It has become a big issue up there recently. Between how things were handled last year and now the possibility the school may go back to virtual again this Spring, people are not happy. I wonder if that becomes a consideration for player transfers?
source?

asking for my son who attends CU and hasn't heard this at all

Can someone help me understand what this means? I've mostly stopped following recruiting, what has gotten out of hand?

The spirit of NIL was to allow players receive compensation for signing autographs, representing various brands, doing commercials, monetizing their social media accounts, etc. What has actually occurred is universities are essentially paying players to come play. Texas is essentially paying every player $50k/year and calling it "sponsorship", even though very few, if any, of the players are actually using their NIL to represent the local businesses that these slush funds are fraudulently being run under.

The spirit of NIL was to allow players receive compensation for signing autographs, representing various brands, doing commercials, monetizing their social media accounts, etc. What has actually occurred is universities are essentially paying players to come play. Texas is essentially paying every player $50k/year and calling it "sponsorship", even though very few, if any, of the players are actually using their NIL to represent the local businesses that these slush funds are fraudulently being run under.
Close, but technicalities are sort of important.

The "spirit" of the NCAA NIL rules were to comply with the recent supreme court ruling where they lost spectacularly. That ruling said that the players were free to pursue any endorsement opportunities that they desired, just like any other student on campus.

It's not over the top rhetoric to say that the NCAA lost the court case in spectacular fashion - they did; very few people lose as spectacularly as they did. They can't limit outside employment/endorsement opportunities.

Texas boosters (not UT, this *is* an important distinction) are playing every UT football player $50k/year and calling it a sponsorship.

I don't know what you think is fraudulent.

It's not "fraud" for someone to pay a student $50k for an autograph.

There *may* be some abuse of non-profit donation IRS rules - but I can guarantee that these boosters are well financed enough that they have good lawyers.

The "spirit" of the NCAA NIL rules were to comply with the recent supreme court ruling where they lost spectacularly. That ruling said that the players were free to pursue any endorsement opportunities that they desired, just like any other student on campus.

It's not over the top rhetoric to say that the NCAA lost the court case in spectacular fashion - they did; very few people lose as spectacularly as they did. They can't limit outside employment/endorsement opportunities.

Texas boosters (not UT, this *is* an important distinction) are playing every UT football player $50k/year and calling it a sponsorship.

There *may* be some abuse of non-profit donation IRS rules - but I can guarantee that these boosters are well financed enough that they have good lawyers.
Maybe fraudulent wasn't the right word as it's obviously not illegal. Handing $50k to every UT player and saying it's for their autograph is circumventing "pay to play" that was specifically stated is still "illegal" in college sports. Point is, the vast majority of players who are being paid in the name of "NIL" aren't actually using their name, image or likeness as a means to get paid; they are simply being paid to play for the University of Texas.

Maybe fraudulent wasn't the right word as it's obviously not illegal. Handing $50k to every UT player and saying it's for their autograph is circumventing "pay to play" that was specifically stated is still "illegal" in college sports. Point is, the vast majority of players who are being paid in the name of "NIL" aren't actually using their name, image or likeness as a means to get paid; they are simply being paid to play for the University of Texas.
umm.... where is the bolded stated?

I don't care if it's in the "NCAA rules" - you need to show it in the SC ruling.

It's a free market - if big hat oil man wants to pay a third string OL from UT $50k for an autograph, he can. Third string OL better declare that income on their taxes, but there's nothing "illegal" about any of it.

umm.... where is the bolded stated?

I don't care if it's in the "NCAA rules" - you need to show it in the SC ruling.

It's a free market - if big hat oil man wants to pay a third string OL from UT $50k for an autograph, he can. Third string OL better declare that income on their taxes, but there's nothing "illegal" about any of it.
Obviously, the NCAA is toothless and holds zero power anymore. That doesn't change the fact that it's still technically against NCAA rules. The sooner CFB can move away from the NCAA altogether and figure out a way to run it's sport within a set of rules, the better.

Very nice recitation of the current NIL landscape and what the Supremes have allowed (which arguably was more than what proponents of NIL rights were advocating). Underscores why several are kind of down about what the sport is becoming.

Obviously, the NCAA is toothless and holds zero power anymore. That doesn't change the fact that it's still technically against NCAA rules. The sooner CFB can move away from the NCAA altogether and figure out a way to run it's sport within a set of rules, the better.
there is hope yet

1641500290429.png

Can someone help me understand what this means? I've mostly stopped following recruiting, what has gotten out of hand?

What Yak says is true, but it's also an indirect admission by George that he either isn't willing (most likely) or can't gather the donors to pony up the necessary funds to even keep 1 to 2 players much less multiple (see Rice and Gonzo).

Here's my thing on all of this, and it's a little pedantic, but I think in the context of these discussions it's very important:

Being against NCAA rules /= "illegal"
Doing something violating some "spirit" of the sport/game/university/etc /= "fraud"

What is actually illegal is for the NCAA, or the conferences, or the schools, to prohibit student athletes from selling their name, image and likeness for any amount of money that they can get on the open market.

It is probably legal for the NCAA (or the conferences or the schools) to prohibit and or regulate the value that the players can receive for those things within the context of contractual employment agreements with the players (either individually or collectively).

Once everyone involved wraps their mind around the above, I think that last sentence is where we will end up - for the good of the game/sport/etc I think the best outcome would be employment contracts being done on a collective level (collective at both the player level and at the employer level (NCAA, or FBS, or P5 as a collective would be better than each conference having their own player's agreement)) rather than an individual school/player level.

Getting to the final endpoint is going to be painfully chaotic though.

Last edited:
I don’t think it’s a stretch to say what NIL has become is way beyond what most folks would have wanted. That’s what happens when you lose - in spectacular fashion - because you are too shortsighted to understand the rules you have need to be modified in certain circumstances.
The best thing that can happen right now would be for the NCAA to simply remove itself from any activities with the P5 conferences and just deal with the smaller schools and minor D-1 conference members. The P5 needs to police itself, somehow.

I don’t think it’s a stretch to say what NIL has become is way beyond what most folks would have wanted. That’s what happens when you lose - in spectacular fashion - because you are too shortsighted to understand the rules you have need to be modified in certain circumstances.
The best thing that can happen right now would be for the NCAA to simply remove itself from any activities with the P5 conferences and just deal with the smaller schools and minor D-1 conference members. The P5 needs to police itself, somehow.
The problem with your last sentence is that the programs who now run CFB don't want to be policed. They are fine with the abomination that this version of NIL has and will continue to become because they are the ones creating it and they are the ones who can compete in that environment.

It will truly take all the current members of the Pac 12, B1G, ACC and the new Big 12 to collectively agree that what's best for the sport is to create a league with all the P5 programs under one governing body and an even set of rules, and then tell the SEC to either get on board or pound sand and only play within their 16 team league.

Here's my thing on all of this, and it's a little pedantic, but I think in the context of these discussions it's very important:

Being against NCAA rules /= "illegal"
Doing something violating some "spirit" of the sport/game/university/etc /= "fraud"

What is actually illegal is for the NCAA, or the conferences, or the schools, to prohibit student athletes from selling their name, image and likeness for any amount of money that they can get on the open market.

It is probably legal for the NCAA (or the conferences or the schools) to prohibit and or regulate the value that the players can receive for those things within the context of contractual employment agreements with the players (either individually or collectively).

Once everyone involved wraps their mind around the above, I think that last sentence is where we will end up - for the good of the game/sport/etc I think the best outcome would be employment contracts being done on a collective level (collective at both the player level and at the employer level (NCAA, or FBS, or P5 as a collective would be better than each conference having their own player's agreement)) rather than an individual school/player level.

Getting to the final endpoint is going to be painfully chaotic though.
very well stated

If you define "most folks" as "not athletes".
Meh. I think there are a few athletes who will make a lot of money from this, but the majority won’t see anything and their opportunities will be curtailed. So no, even the majority of athletes would likely agree that this isn’t what they want.

I think the best move for the NCAA is to let the P5 do what they want with football (vs remove itself from any activities with those conferences) while doing everything they can to remain relevant governing the other sports. Their best hope is to maintain revenue from the basketball tournament.

however, this got me thinking....

what if, and this would be mind blowing, the NCAA went the other direction. Assume they adjust to the new professional collegiate sports model. Then, consider them making a really bold move -- instituting an FBS national championship that was actually recognized by the sport's governing body. They could feasibly structure a playoffs in a way that gets support from all the conferences save maybe the SEC and B1G. If they acted on this in the near term, I think it would immediately make the CFP, LLC irrelevant and go a long way toward restoring a ton of credibility to the NCAA.

Caleb Williams was offered a one million dollar NIL deal from EMU alum and long-time Pittsburgh Steelers QB Charlie Batch.​

The natural result of the NIL arms race was outright bidding for players services and we're seeing it already with Caleb William's transfer. EMU is an unlikely destination even with the NIL money because some booster at higher profile school will no doubt be able to match, but it's really a sign of the times to see something like this. With the rumored Travis Hunter NIL deal that caused him join Jackson State, it won't be long before this is common place.

The problem with your last sentence is that the programs who now run CFB don't want to be policed. They are fine with the abomination that this version of NIL has and will continue to become because they are the ones creating it and they are the ones who can compete in that environment.

It will truly take all the current members of the Pac 12, B1G, ACC and the new Big 12 to collectively agree that what's best for the sport is to create a league with all the P5 programs under one governing body and an even set of rules, and then tell the SEC to either get on board or pound sand and only play within their 16 team league.

They don't want to be policed by another party. I think even they realise the need for some sort of policing and rules (and I'd define that very loosely here) BUT they want to draw them up exactly like they want to.

Speaking of soccer, *ducks* perhaps one financial aspect of that system that might push toward a bit of parity, and be legal would be to require transfer payments from the new team to the old.

Would require some system of graduated payments depending on the level transferring to and from (ie, a playoff team getting a transfer from a FCS team pays a lot. A top 25 team taking from a lower P5 team less, etc.)

Can't think of much else that might have a chance of working.

Speaking of soccer, *ducks* perhaps one financial aspect of that system that might push toward a bit of parity, and be legal would be to require transfer payments from the new team to the old.

Would require some system of graduated payments depending on the level transferring to and from (ie, a playoff team getting a transfer from a FCS team pays a lot. A top 25 team taking from a lower P5 team less, etc.)

Can't think of much else that might have a chance of working.
Would have to write into a contract, but I like it
Pretty sure the whole sport is doing a Thelma and Louise with the way its headed

it means that RG doesn’t have the initiative to maneuver in the NIL world and he’s whining because CU has been priced out of the market for players. Partly out of his control, CU being CU, but instead of whining he should get off his ass and find ways to work around the limitations.

for instance, CU isn’t allowed to facilitate deals. I don’t understand why they haven’t hired and outside firm to do so, or if even that is dicey, how the hell we don’t have an “unofficial” relationship with a marketing firm that all CU athletes are “pointed” to. Should have been the first thing established as soon as NIL was legal.

Last edited:
Pirates Of The Caribbean Code GIF by Brian Benns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back