What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2023-24 Coaching Carousel (Fitzgerald out, DC Braun interim at Northwestern)

The great Terry Donahue was there 20 years. 12 seasons finishing in the Top 25. 5 Pac-10 titles. 151-74-8 record (basically 7.5 wins per year when teams were playing 11 per). That's their gold standard at UCLA.

Chip Kelly is in his 6th year with 1 Top 25 finish, no titles (not even division), and a 33-33 record.

I don't think they expect anything beyond the Donahue level, but they do expect a return to that if they're going to remain committed to a HC.
Cal HSAA has reported declining football participation for years. I wonder how much of Donahue‘s teams were in state.

In a release by the CIF, 11-player football, the state’s most popular high school sport, went from 84,626 players across California in ’21-22 to 89,178 last school year, an increase of 5.4 percent. Eight-player football also saw a slight uptick from 2,232 to 2,611.
This was the first time participation in the sport has increased since 2015, as the number of players statewide steadily declined from 103,725 to 84,626 over that span.

one-step-closer-one-more.gif

@LesGrossman

Well well well…….

Count me among those that doesn't see Prime at A&M.

That said, I think their boosters probably want a flashy hire, but Elko makes too much sense. That's who my money would be on.
Elko is a very, very good coach, and I think he's going to get a Big 10 or SEC gig if he wants one. I just don't think its here. I can't see A&M paying Jimbo $77m to go away only to replace him with his former DC.

Feels like they're swinging at Lanning or Kiffin. I saw what DeBoer said. He's a weird fit there. My first thought when I saw that is he thinks Michigan may come open and wants that.

Elko is a very, very good coach, and I think he's going to get a Big 10 or SEC gig if he wants one. I just don't think its here. I can't see A&M paying Jimbo $77m to go away only to replace him with his former DC.

Feels like they're swinging at Lanning or Kiffin. I saw what DeBoer said. He's a weird fit there. My first thought when I saw that is he thinks Michigan may come open and wants that.
I keep thinking that aTm is going to go after Urban.

I could also see them ending up hiring Kingsbury.

Mostly, I believe this is within CU's control. Fulfill all promises, pay him market value, provide him the resources he needs to compete at the highest level for championships, involve him in growth strategies, stay out of his way and have his back. If CU does all that, I am extremely confident this will be his final coaching job in CFB.
100%

Based on what I'm hearing, cross off DeBoer and Lanning due to the cost.

It will be someone like Elko or an high profile assistant with a low buyout.

I was told Traylor is a no as well.
Traylor a no because A&M isn't interested? I feel like he should be one of their top candidates.

Okay so here we go.

I had hoped that we would be consumed with the bowl game rather than the carousel, but since the Buffs may very well not qualify the postseason, to the carousel we go.

As usual, I will credit our intrepid tipsters, if I miss a mention of someone it is very likely a mistake, or simply I don't like you.

This year's carousel appears to already have some big names and I think we can expect even more craziness.

PRIME WARNING: It is weird to have a coach that is mentioned for every job, but I am not going to speculate an outcome that would be the worst for the Buffs. For purposes of this update series, Prime isn't going anywhere, nor will he be mentioned as going anywhere.

With that said, update numero Uno.

OPEN JOBS:

Mississippi State-Arnett is out (h/t Slider)

aTm- Jimbo out. Mountains of money being thrown around to both buyout Jimbo, and hire a replacement. (h/y Slider, Hot Rack) early names: Lance Leipold, Mike Elko, Mike Norvell, Dan Lanning, Jeff Traylor, Chris Kleiman, Kliff Kingsbury, Kaelyn DeBoer (h/t Yak). Reports of a flight from Eugene to College Station (h/t Nik).

These 2 jobs merit special mention, and almost their own category, since they accomplished the rare exacta of canning two HC's after the same game.

Michigan State-Mel Tucker is out of job, and now sitting on his front porch swing, strumming his one string. (h/t Sewall Beach) early names Mike Elko, Lance Leipold, Jonathan Smith, Dave Clawson, Jason Candle, P.J. Fleck, Pat Narduzzi and a cast of thousands whose first job qualification ought to be the ability to keep one's pants on.

Northwestern- HC Pat Fitzgerald is out in the wake of a hazing scandal (h/t BuffBronco). Skip Holtz brought in as a consultant. Early names, Willie Fritz, Dave Clawson, Mike Elko, Matt Campbell, Paul Chryst, Chris Peterson, Johnathon Smith, Dave Doran, Sherron Moore, David Shaw. A 2nd list of possible's from the comedy category are added by (h/t Nik) in the form of Ed Orgeron with defensive coordinator Dave Braun taking over as interim.

Boise State- HC Andy Avalos is out (H/T nik)

San Diego State- Brady Hoke retires (h/t Yak)

Arkansas- the Sam Pittman experience ends, but not before OC Dan Enos gets the axe. (h/t CU Aviator)

POSSIBLES:

UCLA- Chip Kelly may be out (h/t Yak)

ASSISTANTS:

USC- Alex Grinch will not be around to steal Christmas. (h/t SeanMsan)

Arky- Dan Enos dumped. (h/t Yak)

Iowa- The anti-nepotism patrol may finally get Bryan Ferentz (h/t Sewall Beach)

Last edited:
I don't have any deep knowledge on the Northwestern job, but I think other casual observers would share my perception that he's done a damn fine job as the HC this year in a tough situation.
Yeah, what he has done is pretty remarkable. Not sure if it can be sustained but you can see why Northwestern went this route.

Okay so here we go.

I had hoped that we would be consumed with the bowl game rather than the carousel, but since the Buffs may very well not qualify the postseason, to the carousel we go.

As usual, I will credit our intrepid tipsters, if I miss a mention of someone it is very likely a mistake, or simply I don't like you.

This year's carousel appears to already have some big names and I think we can expect even more craziness.

PRIME WARNING: It is weird to have a coach that is mentioned for every job, but I am not going to speculate an outcome that would be the worst for the Buffs. For purposes of this update series, Prime isn't going anywhere, nor will he be mentioned as going anywhere.

With that said, update numero Uno.

OPEN JOBS:

Mississippi State-Arnett is out (h/t Slider)

aTm- Jimbo out. Mountains of money being thrown around to both buyout Jimbo, and hire a replacement. (h/y Slider, Hot Rack) early names: Lance Leipold, Mike Elko, Mike Norvell, Dan Lanning, Jeff Traylor, Chris Kleiman, Kliff Kingsbury, Kaelyn DeBoer (h/t Yak). Reports of a flight from Eugene to College Station (h/t Nik).

These 2 jobs merit special mention, and almost their own category, since they accomplished the rare exacta of canning two HC's after the same game.

Michigan State-Mel Tucker is out of job, and now sitting on his front porch swing, strumming his one string. (h/t Sewall Beach) early names Mike Elko, Lance Leipold, Jonathan Smith, Dave Clawson, Jason Candle, P.J. Fleck, Pat Narduzzi and a cast of thousands whose first job qualification ought to be the ability to keep one's pants on.

Northwestern- HC Pat Fitzgerald is out in the wake of a hazing scandal (h/t BuffBronco). Skip Holtz brought in as a consultant. Early names, Willie Fritz, Dave Clawson, Mike Elko, Matt Campbell, Paul Chryst, Chris Peterson, Johnathon Smith, Dave Doran, Sherron Moore, David Shaw. A 2nd list of possible's from the comedy category are added by (h/t Nik) in the form of Ed Orgeron with defensive coordinator Dave Braun taking over as interim.

Boise State- HC Andy Avalos is out (H/T nik)

San Diego State- Brady Hoke retires (h/t Yak)

Arkansas- the Sam Pittman experience ends, but not before OC Dan Enos gets the axe. (h/t CU Aviator)

POSSIBLES:

UCLA- Chip Kelly may be out (h/t Yak)

ASSISTANTS:

USC- Alex Grinch will not be around to steal Christmas. (h/t SeanMsan)

Arky- Dan Enos dumped. (h/t Yak)

Iowa- The anti-nepotism patrol may finally get Bryan Ferentz (h/t Sewall Beach)
A couple of notes:
  • Enos is out at Arky, but I don't think Pittman has officially been canned yet.
  • Pretty sure Bryan Ferentz has officially announced he's out at the end of the season
  • I've no clue why Willie Fritz isn't connected to more jobs. It might be his age, I guess, but he's got a pretty solid track record at every level he's coached at, beat a vastly more talented USC team in a bowl last year, and has them doing pretty well again this year. Pretty sure he's well-thought of and well-liked in industry, too.

A couple of notes:
  • Enos is out at Arky, but I don't think Pittman has officially been canned yet.
  • Pretty sure Bryan Ferentz has officially announced he's out at the end of the season
  • I've no clue why Willie Fritz isn't connected to more jobs. It might be his age, I guess, but he's got a pretty solid track record at every level he's coached at, beat a vastly more talented USC team in a bowl last year, and has them doing pretty well again this year. Pretty sure he's well-thought of and well-liked in industry, too.
Yep. Brian Ferentz was fired.

I really wonder why Kiffin wouldn't be a primary target of A&M. One of the great recruiters in the sport, elite offensive coach and playcaller, develops QBs, and is proven winner as a Head Coach. Give him the NIL support that A&M has to be able to pull in classes like Jimbo did and I think they are competing with Bama and UGA easily.

That booster culture is beyond toxic
Yeah, the Coach probably has to go boar huntin’ with the worst boosters then go back to their pseudo ranches and eat bar b que with them and their surgically enhanced trophy wives. I’m completely serious. Shoot me first.

Last edited:
I really wonder why Kiffin wouldn't be a primary target of A&M. One of the great recruiters in the sport, elite offensive coach and playcaller, develops QBs, and is proven winner as a Head Coach. Give him the NIL support that A&M has to be able to pull in classes like Jimbo did and I think they are competing with Bama and UGA easily.
He's happy at Ole Miss, paid extremely well, and he's been there & done that at USC where he has experienced the suck of working within booster driven politics and influence. I think it's mostly a matter of Lane having zero interest.

I don't have any deep knowledge on the Northwestern job, but I think other casual observers would share my perception that he's done a damn fine job as the HC this year in a tough situation.
Kind of been following them. That's a great move for them. Those kids seem like they love him.

He's happy at Ole Miss, paid extremely well, and he's been there & done that at USC where he has experienced the suck of working within booster driven politics and influence. I think it's mostly a matter of Lane having zero interest.
I’m not so sure. He was just lamenting yesterday about the inability to compete for 5 star players at Ole Miss. He knows he can’t win big where he is….

I’m not so sure. He was just lamenting yesterday about the inability to compete for 5 star players at Ole Miss. He knows he can’t win big where he is….
I do think he's evaluating whether he still loves the college game with all the changes that have happened.

Prime would rather stay based on JSU. He gave them ample times to give a great offer considering the playing level. The president messed that up. He's a comfort guy but definitely will consider a massive deal. He would be a fool not too. My belief is CU knows what they got value wise and they will keep Prime with a tremendous offer\\

Does Prime really need the money?

I was told he was in bad standing with some of the boosters with when his son was a preferred walk on. He did some shady stuff which hurt them during the Sumlin era.

I've actually heard the opposite, that he would be great for repairing the high school relationships that have been damaged under Jimbo. Plus Traylor is a Texas guy, which most seem to think A&M needs

Was just reading about what's really going on with Chip Kelly and the hot seat even last year. Apparently, just like he doesn't like to recruit he also can't stand the political parts of the job. He hasn't built relationships with boosters and that's resulted in very little NIL support. Dude just wants to coach. Thinking he should either go to the NFL or become one of those coaches who decide they're wheelhouse is to be a pure coach with control over his side of the ball while not having to deal with all the other things that usually come with the job.

Who knows what will happen at UCLA or what he'll decide to do, but I guarantee there are a lot of college programs that would pay him a lot of money to run their offense while not making him recruit, attend booster functions or talk to the media except at his own discretion. It's there for his 60s if he wants to solely focus on masterminding an offense again.

Apparently, just like he doesn't like to recruit he also can't stand the political parts of the job. He hasn't built relationships with boosters and that's resulted in very little NIL support. Dude just wants to coach.
My close buddies are UCLA alums and they shared that NIL funding is a 40:1 ratio for basketball to football. Everyone is loading up for Cronin but very little for Chip, and it's for the exact reason you highlighted above. The relationships with boosters and the interest, or lack there of, in recruiting.

Guess this works for @LesGrossman s theory!

puppet GIF

Back