What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2024 CU Buffs Football Eligibility Chart

Well...last season saw a walk-on starting at WR. He was listed as a TE, but he was a WR.
Last season was odd with the lack of TE's capable at the position. It would be nice to bring 2 more on to help build that depth chart after spring. We could use some blocking TE's.

Last season was odd with the lack of TE's capable at the position. It would be nice to bring 2 more on to help build that depth chart after spring. We could use some blocking TE's.
Cinci's starter Metayer is on campus. Smalls moved over to TE. Pass looks like he is coming back. We could probably use one more for depth.

We will run enough 4 WR sets that they will be on the field alot. It's crazy to think how much better our WR room is the past 2 years versus distant memory when the occasional walk on would be good enough to earn reps or even start.
If you (collective) don't think Jimmy has a starting spot locked, you're delusional.

Reading on 247 that Woods is full time ILB, not safety, now.

First thought, the safety group is improved if the team can make this move. Woods made some timely big plays at safety so it is good to see he has been recruited over, bodes well for the team.

Second thought, Woods at ILB is just another indicator of how bad the ILB group is again in 2024. Woods was not an acceptable P5 ILB last season and there isn't anything to indicate he has the physical traits to make this move and add value. Looking like ILB and OL will continue to be the biggest needs in the spring transfer portal window.

First thought, the safety group is improved if the team can make this move. Woods made some timely big plays at safety so it is good to see he has been recruited over, bodes well for the team.

Second thought, Woods at ILB is just another indicator of how bad the ILB group is again in 2024. Woods was not an acceptable P5 ILB last season and there isn't anything to indicate he has the physical traits to make this move and add value. Looking like ILB and OL will continue to be the biggest needs in the spring transfer portal window.
I would say the direct opposite re: Woods. He was somewhat stiff as a safety, but as a LB he's more than athletic enough. Need to get him to 225-230 by August which he looks to be well on his way. You cannot be serious faulting him for his LB play last season. The guy had a zero experience there and basically had a week to learn the position on the fly. Give him an entire off season to really learn some things and I bet he does pretty well.

I would say the direct opposite re: Woods. He was somewhat stiff as a safety, but as a LB he's more than athletic enough. Need to get him to 225-230 by August which he looks to be well on his way. You cannot be serious faulting him for his LB play last season. The guy had a zero experience there and basically had a week to learn the position on the fly. Give him an entire off season to really learn some things and I bet he does pretty well.
Tough to play ILB when the DL is shoved into your face a second and a half into the play.

I think we have to wait until the Spring Game. I found this from FOCO and another site had something similar, which differed from 247. https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ot...serves-on-defense-for-2024-season/ar-BB1hNM5M It sounded like these articles had more inside information.

They had Jaylen Wester in as the other ILB playing next to Bentley. PFF had graded Wester as a 94.2 run stopper; which was Top 10 or 15. I watched some highlights and he has solid LB instincts, can get off a block, and good tackler (hope that does not come back to bite me). On the Spring Roster recently released, Bentley, Wester, Kennedy, Gant and the 3 Freshman are listed at ILB. Woods is listed as just an LB. Many others are listed as OLB, as they did away with the Edge on the roster. Keaton Wade played LB at Kentucky last year, 6'4" 245. I think we are going to more of a 4-3 on run downs/base, then maybe 4-2-5 on others. I believe they will look to the portal for a stout ILB, if they can find one. The upside that I found in the article is that it sounds like the Dline is bigger, deeper, more experienced and improved.

We'll have to see how Spring and Fall shake out, but we are loaded at S with 8 guys, who have experience and many Jrs/Srs. I do not think TW had a shot at moving back to S with significant playing time, but could be wrong. I could envision them trying Woods at a LB position on passing downs; but he had an extremely rough go stopping the run at LB. I don't fault him for his play given new position change mid-season, however he did have trouble finding the correct gap and getting off a block. He is a Sr. and has been a good player for the Buffs, thus certainly deserves a shot. A better Dline could make the LB play easier.

Also, DJ McKinney listed at CB is a very solid open field tackler. Depending on how McClain shakes out, he could be our extra DB (or Hodge) in covering the underneath/slot on passing downs in a 4-2-5, if they do not play 3 S's.

Last edited:
I think we have to wait until the Spring Game. I found this from FOCO and another site had something similar, which differed from 247. https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ot...serves-on-defense-for-2024-season/ar-BB1hNM5M It sounded like these articles had more inside information.

They had Jaylen Wester in as the other ILB playing next to Bentley. PFF had graded Wester as a 94.2 run stopper; which was Top 10 or 15. I watched some highlights and he has solid LB instincts, can get off a block, and good tackler (hope that does not come back to bite me). On the Spring Roster recently released, Bentley, Wester, Kennedy, Gant and the 3 Freshman are listed at ILB. Woods is listed as just an LB. Many others are listed as OLB, as they did away with the Edge on the roster. Keaton Wade played LB at Kentucky last year, 6'4" 245. I think we are going to more of a 4-3 on run downs/base, then maybe 4-2-5 on others. I believe they will look to the portal for a stout ILB, if they can find one. The upside that I found in the article is that it sounds like the Dline is bigger, deeper, more experienced and improved.

We'll have to see how Spring and Fall shake out, but we are loaded at S with 8 guys, who have experience and many Jrs/Srs. I do not think TW had a shot at moving back to S with significant playing time, but could be wrong. I could envision them trying Woods at a LB position on passing downs; but he had an extremely rough go stopping the run at LB. I don't fault him for his play given new position change mid-season, however he did have trouble finding the correct gap and getting off a block. He is a Sr. and has been a good player for the Buffs, thus certainly deserves a shot. A better Dline could make the LB play easier.

Also, DJ McKinney listed at CB is a very solid open field tackler. Depending on how Cormarti McClain shakes out, he could be our extra DB (or Hodge) in covering the underneath/slot on passing downs in a 4-2-5, if they do not play 3 S's.
"Cormarti"
Confused Fran Healy GIF by Travis

As it stands...

QB - Sanders
RB - McCaskill
X - Hunter/O. Miller
Y - Sheppard
Z - Horn
H - Mateyer
RT - Washington
RG - Johnson
C - Brown
LG - Mayers
LT - Bedford/Seaton
Utility - Edwards

DL - (new)
DL - McNeil/Thomas
E - (new)
R - Walker
ILB - (new)
ILB - (new)
CB - McClain/Cooper
CB - Hunter
FS - Sanders
SS - Slusher

I still think Woods is gone.

Huh? On Dec 15 you said "I still think Woods is gone."? I'm just confused...

On the Moretti thread, Jan 26, 2024 --freaking yikes if Bentley and Woods were starting LBs.

Giant has never been a LB. Don't know why anyone expected him to make any impact.

Kennedy has all the skills in the world, but idk how you get to your 4th year and you're still 215ish
Agreed. So you have Bentley and Woods as your returning "starters". Fvcking yikes. Morretti should have been locked down immediately.

But I'm sure he doesn't fit what Hart wants in a backer. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Also, DJ McKinney listed at CB is a very solid open field tackler. Depending on how McClain shakes out, he could be our extra DB (or Hodge) in covering the underneath/slot on passing downs in a 4-2-5, if they do not play 3 S's.
Very informative article on the Buffs defense from the FOCO newspaper…..The D should be vastly improved if even half these guys pan out.

Huh? On Dec 15 you said "I still think Woods is gone."?
I thought Woods was a portal candidate as well, and honestly still believe he is. Spring Ball is going to be competitive and a lot of upper classmen are going to find out they are likely backups and will want to make a move. Woods knows he was recruited over at Safety, but he sees the same thing BJ points out; ILB is up for grabs and nobody has really stood out. However, if Woods finds that he's unable to crack the starting rotation, he might opt to go somewhere else.

Tough to play ILB when the DL is shoved into your face a second and a half into the play.
Also tough to be an effective LB when your LB coach is directing you to run full speed into the offensive Center at the snap of the ball every play. I don't see how any of the mediocre LB's succeed with the current LB coach. I digress...

Rumors that the Spring portal is going to be just as crazy as the December one, so I'm honestly not too worried about any position right now.

It feels like the unlimited transfer rules essentially give teams and players a long evaluation period. I bet we see another 5-7 guys leave and ~10 come in.

OL, DL, LB, and TE all positions that could use more talent and depth.

I have always thought Woods' most college ready position was Safety but that his best opportunity to play on Sundays would be as a LB. A linebacker with coverage skills with his closing burst is a weapon... if he can maintain that while carrying another 20-30 pounds. I'm kind of excited to see him play LB with a full offseason to prepare.

I have always thought Woods' most college ready position was Safety but that his best opportunity to play on Sundays would be as a LB. A linebacker with coverage skills with his closing burst is a weapon... if he can maintain that while carrying another 20-30 pounds. I'm kind of excited to see him play LB with a full offseason to prepare.

I think Woods path to the NFL is via some teams scouting department.

Huh? On Dec 15 you said "I still think Woods is gone."? I'm just confused...

On the Moretti thread, Jan 26, 2024 --freaking yikes if Bentley and Woods were starting LBs.

Agreed. So you have Bentley and Woods as your returning "starters". Fvcking yikes. Morretti should have been locked down immediately.

But I'm sure he doesn't fit what Hart wants in a backer. :rolleyes:
Gotta work with what we've got at this point. I'm just trying to stay positive with that group. Woods could be alright if he's taught to read his keys and go downhill. He's got the coverage aspect down. He also can hit when he wants to. By far the weakest group on the team so why the hell not, right?!

Gotta work with what we've got at this point. I'm just trying to stay positive with that group. Woods could be alright if he's taught to read his keys and go downhill. He's got the coverage aspect down. He also can hit when he wants to. By far the weakest group on the team so why the hell not, right?!

No worries Lama. You have some great insights. I agree with you totally on your thoughts of him at S. Nik, Yak and Ewing (Dline mauled) all made good points. I tend to agree, if Woods can put the weight on, keep the speed, maybe improve his agility; he could project to a coverage LB and improve on other aspects via coaching. LB is a tough learning curve, and I agree it looks like the weakest group. Whether that happens with a full year of Spring/Fall we will have to see. TW has a nose for the ball and tackling/hitting. From everything I have heard TW is a very dedicated player and bleeds Black and Gold. He is a holdover SR and that says a lot. I hope that Bentley improves; Wester pops in the B-12 and we get some production from unknown places whether that is on the roster or acquired through the portal. A bunch of it is dependent on a well coordinated/coached defense and getting good play out of all the position groups/units--complementary football.

Certainly, the breakdowns last year were not a certain player. If it were at LB, it would probably be Juju going to the doghouse. Landman was a special LB, but that may not have come to the forefront if Akil Jones (he was not great, but seemed steady-eddy next to Nate) and Carson Wells did not improve right along with him.

I'm very excited to see the Spring game. Go Buffs.

If you (collective) don't think Jimmy has a starting spot locked, you're delusional.
I don't know where you thought we weren't thinking Horn would not start...I was thinking Dawson was going to get more PT this season before he was moved on from. I think CP will get alot of guys Playing time this year. I'm not certain our depth chart at WR was as deep as we had hoped last year.

As far as TE. I still think we need 2. We have a DE swapping to TE this year and a guy who hasn't played much. I am of the position we should have 5 TE's on the roster. One can be a big WR like Harrison from last year.

I didn't know Trevor was moved to ILB.

Not sure this moves the needle at all (or if it is even true I suppose) in terms of actual depth, but in terms of bodies, I have seen a couple of mentions on X that Morgan Pearson has moved from ILB to TE.

Rumors that the Spring portal is going to be just as crazy as the December one, so I'm honestly not too worried about any position right now.

It feels like the unlimited transfer rules essentially give teams and players a long evaluation period. I bet we see another 5-7 guys leave and ~10 come in.

OL, DL, LB, and TE all positions that could use more talent and depth.

Yak,

FWIW, I went on 247 today their eligibility chart had FR-Frosh Morgan Pearson as moving from ILB to TE. I have not seen any recent definitive news on this. He was one of our highest rated 2023 recruits. Per his Roster Bio the recruiting services had him split between LB, WR and Athlete coming out of HS. The Rivals article I read about his CU commitment was a "true athlete . . . with position to be determined", but he was recruited by Patterson the interim OC. 247 listed his commitment as WR for CU, but then had him as ILB too. ESPN athlete, On30 WR. In HS, it sounds like he played all over the place. 85% of his HS film was him at WR and he definitely has ball/route skills. In the D plays, it looked to me like he was playing S/rover. If he is now a TE, he would be the Michael Harrison type pass catcher--maybe a tad shorter with 10-20 more pounds. His ball skills were very impressive. Of course with him a R-Frosh he is young and will grow/fill out.

We should keep our eyes open on him. The only summer arrivals 247 listed were Green, Sheppard and Cordale Russell.

Also, on the podcast: Woods is definitely in LB room. UNK had great things to say about Bentley. I guess he is now a beast. UNK said expect another LB in May, alluding to that as the person to play next to Bentley at ILB.

Pearson is a fit for a TE-H role, which I don't think we really had. It's a nice additional piece if he can be productive in that FB/Big Slot hybrid role. I hope he develops.

Reactions: GRM
Neely said there's likely to be a lot of guys switching rooms, which I find to be a little off putting. There aren't that many athletes who were recruited to play one position but can make the transition to another at the P5 level, if they weren't good enough at their primary position. So I think there's still a bit of roster management, attrition, and portal additions that need to happen.

At 77 scholarships currently. Have to think more attrition is coming. Are there going to be 10+ post-Spring additions to get to a full 85, or are we going to roll with a less than full scholarship roster again?

Back