What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2024 Pac 12 Tourney thread- #5 seed WOMEN'S bball (Las Vegas; 1st round game vs. #12 seed Oregon, Wednesday, 3/6, 1:00 PM MT, Pac 12 Network)

79-30 Final
Whoop Ass Reaction GIF

Does Graves get fired? I've seen talk of that on Twitter,

We played very well but Oregon is not very good. Whitaker should not have been in the game that late.

We shall see what happens tomorrow.

Buffs got off to a fast start and Oregon couldn't hit an open shot for just about the entire game - while the Buffs vacuumed up just about every rebound on the defensive end (and a lot of the offensive side too). CU 54-28 on thee boards!

Unlike in Boulder, OU was a little more creative with their D, trapping and sometimes playing man, but it really didn't make a difference.

Hope Charlotte is gonna be okay for tomorrow! From here on out the team needs her.

Vonleh struggled against OU's height and only played 13 minutes, scoring 2 points and pulling down 6 rebounds.

Frida got hot in the fourth and finished the game 5-6 from deep to lead the team with 17 points.

Yup, the starters got a lot of rest, with Frida getting the most minutes at 22.

OSU plays defense and uses their height to their advantage, unlike OU. I'm hoping thee third time's the charm.

On to OSU!

Media after today's W:

Article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2024/3/6/w...ominate-the-ducks-to-advance-to-quarterfinals

"

Buffs' Defense Shuts Down Oregon to Advance to Quarterfinals​

By: Colin Wagner, CU Athletic Communications Associate

LAS VEGAS–
The No. 18-ranked Colorado Buffaloes women's basketball team came in as the five-seed and took down the No. 12-seeded Oregon Ducks in a historic 79-30 win to open the Pac-12 Tournament at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on Wednesday.

"I'm just really happy with how we played," head coach JR Payne said after the win. "We had a great week of practice. A lot of people keep asking us 'Well how are you guys doing,' and my thought is we're in a great place. We're in as good a place as we've been."

The Buffs (22-8) dominated from the opening tip to the final buzzer, holding the Ducks (11-21) to under double-digits in each of the first three quarters. CU set Pac-12 Tournament records for the fewest points allowed, 30, and largest margin of victory, 49.

"Maybe we just like to be an underdog and we are the underdog now and we love that, that's comfortable," Payne went on to say. "We feel good about how we played. We feel good about just where we are and excited to have a great tournament."

Quay Miller got the team going early in the game, scoring eight of Colorado's first 10 points. She finished with 10 points on 4-of-5 shooting and brought the energy on the floor for CU.

Frida Formann led all players in scoring with 17 points, cashing in on five 3-pointers on just six attempts. She recorded double-digit points for the third straight game. With her five 3-pointers this afternoon, she passed assistant coach Shelley Sheetz (252) and moved into second all-time in 3-pointers (254) in Colorado history.

The first quarter was huge for the Buffaloes, outscoring the Ducks by 19 points while shooting 73.3% from the field. Colorado stayed firing on all cylinders on both sides of the floor throughout the record-setting day.

Jaylyn Sherrod and Tameiya Sadler also put together solid performances, combining for 20 points in the contest. Sherrod recorded nine points, eight assists and five rebounds in 18 minutes of play while Sadler scored 11 off the bench without committing any turnovers.

The Buffs outrebounded Oregon 54-to-28 and dished out 18 more assists than the Ducks which seemed to be too much for Oregon to handle.

With the win, Colorado advances to the Pac-12 quarterfinals and will take on the No. 4 seed Oregon State Beavers.

"Everyone's playing really well," Payne said of the conference. "Right now, everyone just knows who they are. I think the team that knows who they are and feels really good about who they are is a team that's very dangerous this time of year and certainly we are that team. We showed that today. We just want to do our job, play great, stay together and be connected."

KEY MOMENT
Colorado shot 73.3% from the field in the first quarter while holding Oregon to just seven points. The Buffs held a 26-7 lead heading into the second which the Ducks were just unable to come back from.

NEXT
The fifth-seeded Buffs will play fourth-seeded Oregon State in the quarterfinals on Thursday at 1 p.m. MT. The last time Colorado played the Beavers resulted in a 65-59 loss in Boulder on Feb. 11.

NOTES
CU is now 13-19 all-time against Oregon…79-30 is the margin of victory (49) in Pac-12 tournament history (prev. 41, Stanford vs. California (81-40), Mar. 5, 2005)…It was also CU's largest margin of victory since its 59-point win over Le Moyne (97-38, Nov. 27, 2022)...Colorado held Oregon to 30 points, setting a Pac-12 Tournament record for the fewest points allowed…It was also the fewest points allowed by the Buffs since 29 (2x, Texas Southern Dec. 14, 2007 & Iowa State on Feb. 19, 1993)…Oregon's 18.9 FG% (10-53) set a record for the lowest FG% in a Pac-12 Tournament game (prev., .203, Washington State vs. Oregon State, Mar. 3, 2006 (12-of-59)...The Ducks' 10 FGM tied for the fewest in a Pac-12 Tournament game (prev. 10, California vs. Stanford, Mar. 8, 2003 (10-of-45)...Colorado's 38-11 halftime lead was the second-largest ever in a conference tournament game for the Buffs (1st, 38 points against Kansas State on March 7, 1992)...Sherrod's seven first-half assists tied the CU record for most in a Pac-12 tournament game…Oregon's 11 first-half points allowed tied the fewest this season (last, at Oregon Jan. 28)...It was also the fewest points allowed in a half in a Pac-12 Tournament game (prev, 13, Utah vs. Oregon State, Mar. 7, 2014 )...Sherrod moved into second all-time with 617 assists, passing Bridget Turner (612)…Wetta moves into 14th all-time with 176 steals, passing Mandy Nightingale (175)…Formann moves into second all-time for 3FGM with 254, passing Shelley Sheetz (252)…Vonleh surpasses 300 rebounds at CU with 303…Whittaker scored six points, surpassing 400 in her career (401)…Miller's lone rebound on the day gives her 900 in her career…CU's bench outscored Oregon 36-5…CU outscored Oregon in the paint 38-14…CU outscored Oregon in fast-break points 13-2.
"

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats/2023-24/oregon/boxscore/16997

Update:

“Charlotte is fine,” Payne said. “I think she rolled her ankle but she’s one of the toughest gals you could ever meet. So she’ll be fine.”

as much pain as she was in, I'd think she'd miss a game - if not, she is super tough

Last edited:
Hopefully we change the higher seed getting the W in the game this afternoon. They have the talent.

Just looked and the beat writer for Oregon doesn't think Graves survives and Oregon should have a new coach as they move to the Big 10.

Hopefully we change the higher seed getting the W in the game this afternoon. They have the talent.

Just looked and the beat writer for Oregon doesn't think Graves survives and Oregon should have a new coach as they move to the Big 10.

Any idea what happened there? Sure was a falloff since COVID, prior to that seemed to be a semi-elite coach.

So weird how Graves had so much success for so long and it all fell flat apart after 2020. Failures to adapt to Covid year, transfer and NIL, I suppose.

He did great during the Sabrina Ionescu years. You have to be able to work the transfer portal now. If you don't you Thare going to not do well,

The Big 10 has some great and storied basketball programs. Maryland is down this year. With the incoming schools, without some great transfers Oregon is going to end up at the bottom.

He did great during the Sabrina Ionescu years. You have to be able to work the transfer portal now. If you don't you Thare going to not do well,

The Big 10 has some great and storied basketball programs. Maryland is down this year. With the incoming schools, without some great transfers Oregon is going to end up at the bottom.
I would grab him to be an assistant on JR’s staff
Does Oregon come after JR?

There is at least one player on Oregon's roster CU should go after if she enters the portal - Grace VanSlooten. She would fit what CU does on both sides of the ball and in particular she is good at creating shoots off the dribble. She's a sophomore this season.

So weird how Graves had so much success for so long and it all fell flat apart after 2020. Failures to adapt to Covid year, transfer and NIL, I suppose.
The "best" coaches moving forward, may be those who can best work the NIL and transfer systems, as opposed to those who know the game best, have the best O and D schemes, can motivate, etc.
I think it will be pretty amazing this year, when CP leads CU to a Top 20 finish, despite the lack of money to pay players

6 of the 8 teams in the Pac-12 quarterfinals today are ranked in the Top 25 and the other 2 come in with 17 & 18 wins. The conference is so good this year.

Man do I want to win this game and get OSU out of this tourney in one game.
Not sure why, but they are at the top of my annoying list

Nice start. Vonleh is playing great
She's a warrior. A bounce back performance after a disappointing opening round was something I expected today. And she's a key to winning today.

17-10 after 1Q

Vonleh with a 4/3/2 (no fouls) start

Good to see the same commercials are back. Now they are re-mixing them to where they start in the middle, and then reset to the begining.

High quality product, would expect nothing less from the pac-2

Back