What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Annual Game with CSU - wanted to get updated opinions

What should be the future of the CU-CSU series?

• Continue at Inveso every year

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Move it on campus every year

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • Continue at Invesco with breaks in the series

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Move it on campus with breaks in the series

Votes: 63 42.9%
  • Kill it with fire

Votes: 58 39.5%

• Total voters
CU hasn't beaten a "mid-major" team that isn't CSU since 2010. So picking and choosing your Ws isn't really a luxury for you.

And how do you know the CU game means more to CSU players than any other game? Right now CSU is focused on Boise St and Utah State as two must win games in order to make the MW Championship Game as Mountain Division Champs. CU is important as well but mainly bc it's the first game of the season and it's a big game for in state recruiting.

I'm glad to hear the game is being de-emphasized by CSU.

That's a good thing.

Should make it easier to end the series, too.

CU hasn't beaten a "mid-major" team that isn't CSU since 2010. So picking and choosing your Ws isn't really a luxury for you.

And how do you know the CU game means more to CSU players than any other game? Right now CSU is focused on Boise St and Utah State as two must win games in order to make the MW Championship Game as Mountain Division Champs. CU is important as well but mainly bc it's the first game of the season and it's a big game for in state recruiting.

We haven't won many games period. Haven't had many mid-major opponents since OOC games are reduced and we waste one playing in Denver.

The idea that CSU players don't focus on CU ignores the quotes from the CSU players. To the core CSU fans the MWC championship may be highly important, to most CSU "fans" CU is the the game. It's hard to make an argument that Boise and Utah State are that important to the players or the fans based on what has happened on the field and in terms of paid attendance.

Outside of the abomination that was the 2012 season, we've really only played one "mid-major" other than CSU (Hawaii). I don't know that any poster is advocating that the CU game means more to CSU players than any other game, although I think it does. What is really being said is that the CU game means more to the CSU fan "base" than any other game and, based on attendance figures, vitriol, etc., that is an indisputable fact. And you can't be serious about the in-state recruiting. How many guys have you legitimately beat us out for in the last decade? One, maybe two?

Someone (maybe CC) said that older CU fans view CSU differently than younger CU fans. Based on my experience, I think this is true. I'm around 30, I hate CSU and I would take a victory over them instead of a victory against almost any other team on our schedule. Many of my peer alumni share that sentiment. Another factor people on AllBuffs seem to miss (or forget) is that the rest of the country views this game as a rivalry. At least they did until both teams spiraled into oblivion. I'm not sure why any of that means the series should continue on an annual basis, though. I'd be for playing CSU 5-6 times a decade, 2-1 on campus.

azbuff,

In fairness, I don't think he was saying that the CU game was important because it helped CSU also win recruiting battles against CU. I took it as referring to the in-state exposure for the CSU program and the ability to get a lot of in-state prospects to Denver for a game -- seeing CSU play in an NFL stadium. Much better and easier for them than to get prospects up to Ft. Collins and a game at Hughes.

azbuff,

In fairness, I don't think he was saying that the CU game was important because it helped CSU also win recruiting battles against CU. I took it as referring to the in-state exposure for the CSU program and the ability to get a lot of in-state prospects to Denver for a game -- seeing CSU play in an NFL stadium. Much better and easier for them than to get prospects up to Ft. Collins and a game at Hughes.

That and CU is the Rams identifiable game against a major conference school. A win and their coaches can sell that they played and beat a PAC school.

Same time lots of the CSU players, especially those from Colorado didn't see the love from CU and many still resent it. The CU game is their chance to "prove" that they should have been offered by CU (or some other PAC team for the Cali kids) instead of having to go to a lesser conference team.

If CU wins it is just another win against a mid-major that usually isn't very good, doesn't help in any way nationally. On those occasions when CSU wins the sheep fans run their mouths like they are the the greatest thing since sliced bread. Either way the sheep fans are insufferable whining about how unfair it is that CU gets all the attention and get to be on TV, etc. etc.

CU would be much better served either playing a team that gives them some national attention and respect or playing a different mid-major that doesn't treat the game like their validation of being.

CU has plenty of games outside of CSU that would help with respect nationally, they are built into the schedule automatically and are called PAC 12 games. CU already has it's hands full with conference play, CSU is an opponent that gives them a chance at a W and a step towards 6 wins and bowl eligibility. There's nothing wrong with that. Is UMass really going to help with CUs national reputation? If I were CU Id be trying real hard not to slip up there and have a terrible L to one of the worst teams in the bowl system.

They had another delay. (Blamed it on design or something.)

Anyway, I think I heard that the new target is 2019.

Seems like sunshine and roses on Ramnation

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

As to the bolded, what does this say about your Rams? Even in our worst years, we are better than CSU. The Rams have trouble qualifying as a mid major by your definition.

As for the 2 big games you are so focused on, you might want to tell other Ram fans so they buy a few tickets or sell out a game. The number of Ram fans that care about the football team is pretty damn small based on the last 10 years or so. Even with a craptastic team, we still put 40,000 plus in the stadium. You are right, CU is important for the Rams. It is a game against a BCS conference foe. The Rams, not so much for CU, we get at least 9 of those games a year.

do CU-D and/or CU-CS alums generally root for the Buffs (the ones who care about college sports at all)? There's a lot of Colorado native college grads who don't go to either CU or CSU, I don't know, but would suspect, that in the early 1990's plenty of them called themselves Buff fans. It would make sense to me for the Buffs to use the game at Mile High to attempt to build a connection with CU-D, DU or even Regis students, make the best out of the off campus game, give them a BCS team they can adopt.

The AD outreach to the CU Anschutz Medical students (Medical, Dental, Pharm, PT, PA, Nursing, PhD) is non-existent. Literally there is no attempt. It boggles my mind to ignore the future guaranteed millionaires within your own system. I wasn't even able to purchase student tickets through Anschutz.

If I was AD, I would personally deliver free damn tickets to at least one game to every Medical/Dental/Pharm student there. The ROI would be the highest out of all constituencies...

The AD outreach to the CU Anschutz Medical students (Medical, Dental, Pharm, PT, PA, Nursing, PhD) is non-existent. Literally there is no attempt. It boggles my mind to ignore the future guaranteed millionaires within your own system. I wasn't even able to purchase student tickets through Anschutz.

If I was AD, I would personally deliver free damn tickets to at least one game to every Medical/Dental/Pharm student there. The ROI would be the highest out of all constituencies...

Yeah CU doesn't do stuff like that very well.

And if you are worried about your crap product, give out tickets to something like Washington vs Tad. The CEC is jumping.

Winning cures all. When I was in school we could trade our student tickets in for front row premium tickets the day of the game.

Hey... what is Cal considered?

Dorkus Maximus says CU has not beaten a mid major outside of CSU since '10. Hell, last time I looked, Cal was a member of the Pac-12. What am I missing here?

Not that I think beating Cal would be some event worthy of a parade but dang....

Dorkus Maximus says CU has not beaten a mid major outside of CSU since '10. Hell, last time I looked, Cal was a member of the Pac-12. What am I missing here?

Not that I think beating Cal would be some event worthy of a parade but dang....

Washington St, Arizona, Utah???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
And by the way, we've only played 2 other mid majors since 2010 - Fresno St and Hawaii (both away).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poster is considering Pac-12 schools "majors" and generously including CSU as a "mid-major," instead of alongside Charleston Southern and Arkansas State.

You might be right. Its hard to tell right now. Like I noted above, UCLA just agreed to a home-home with SDSU in 2019/2020. SJSU, probably the weakest overall "program" in the MWC, recently set home-home series with Oregon State (2015/2020) and Utah (2016/2017). Wyoming has a home-home with Washington State (2015/2018) set. New Mexico has a home-home with Arizona State (2014/2015). This isn't even close to a complete list.

Maybe that scheduling dynamic will change, but it looks like it will take a while given how far out some of these series are set. Just browsing the future schedules it looks like most PAC programs are going with 1-FCS opponent, 1-MWC opponent and 1-BCS opponent as a part of their OOC schedule. Once you eliminate FCS opponents, which most BCS conferences appear to be doing, it actually gives the MWC some additional leverage. If you rotate the home-home series between the MWC and other BCS opponents, the home schedule slate fills up just fine. http://www.fbschedules.com/

There is some truth to this movement. Smaller schools started drawing a line in the sand a few years ago and requiring a home and home. This made life for NU, KSU, Notre Dame, and other schools that liked to schedule a patsy or three much more difficult. So they started scheduling FCS schools or whoever they could get because they didn't want to have to make an appearance in La Techs or Western Michigan's stadium.

Right now CSU is one of the teams we have a good chance of beating. We need six W's for a bowl game and beating the goats is way more likely than beating 90% of the P12. We need to play them, beat them, and send them back to their goat overlords in a box. I absolutely hate the game at SportVesco, play the damn game on campus. Once we're pummeling them 55-10 every year, CSU will pay to get out of the series.

FIFY. But, yeah I agree.

CONFERENCE STANDINGS 4-23 Overall

2013: Colorado 1-8
2012: Colorado 1-8
2011: Colorado 2-7

:cry:

1. The series is good for the state.
2. Nik has way too much time to overthink this.
3. The hate for little brother is laughable.
4. The insinuation that Fort Collins and CSU's campus is a **** hole is comedic.
5. I don't care where we play it as long as we keep playing it.

1. The series is good for the state.
2. Nik has way too much time to overthink this.
3. The hate for little brother is laughable.
4. The insinuation that Fort Collins and CSU's campus is a **** hole is comedic.
5. I don't care where we play it as long as we keep playing it.

Who cares if it's good for the state if it's not good for CU?

Who cares if it's good for the state if it's not good for CU?

NONE of your arguments, or anyone else's here, has convinced me that playing CSU is bad for CU. In fact, losing to lower division schools, as we have done of late, is far worse for CU than playing CSU (who we beat those same years).

CSU will not go away if we stop playing them.
Other out of state schools will continue to steel our best recruits, wether we play CSU or not.
Hiring crappy coaches and low balling the AD by CU's own Admin is worse for CU than playing CSU.
Traveling out of state for a home/home costs CU a lot more scratch than playing CSU costs.

How's it good for CU to go to Hawaii? If you drop this game your going to add a six figure travel cost center to the budget for a game that currently costs the school a little more than a charter bus fees. Were not going to play AFA.

You people's warped reality about this game is amusing. The joy I take of reminding my CSU friends that 'don't forget it but you guys lost to the worst team in the P12' can not be replaced by scheduling Sisters of the Blind Community College's team. :lol:

Last edited:
Back