What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Are you a fan of CU joining the Pac-10?

No, we need to recreate the old Skyline Conference:

Colorado
Colorado State
Utah
Utah State
BYU
Wyoming
New Mexico

Get Arizona and Arizona State from the Pac Ten

throw in Air Force, Boise State, and UTEP.

With Utah, BYU, Boise State, CU, and ASU you could gain automatic BCS access. With Utah State, CSU, Wyoming, UTEP as a "lower tier" the "upper tier" teams should always have good records. You don't want to do what the ACC did and have 12 (OK 11, sorry Duke) schools that are all beating each other up every week. The "mid tier" of Arizona, Air Force, New Mexico are all solid programs that would lend respect to the conference.

Hawaii and Fresno State jump in to the Pac Ten to make it 10 again.

San Diego State and UNLV go back to the WAC, with Montana making the jump so they have 8 schools.

and TCU replaces Colorado in the Big XII (but in the South Division) with Oklahoma moving to the North Division to renew OU-Braska rivalry and balance the league.

That really is a terrible idea. You should get sent to federal "pound me in the ***" prison for that idea. :lol:

As a Duck I would love this to work out. I would not want a North/South because Oregon would not really benefit from this format. CU did win the first Duck game at Autzen. It could have been start to rivalry. It will not happen but we can hope

The very idea that the Pac 10 would even want CU is a ****ing joke. We bring nothing to the table on or off the field.

Jeezus!

The very idea that the Pac 10 would even want CU is a ****ing joke. We bring nothing to the table on or off the field.

Jeezus!

Yeah we'd travel terribly in the Pac-10 no one would show up for games at Stanford, Cal, UCLA, USC, 'Zona, and ASU. There's no alumni or donation base in CA, AZ, and Washington; and we most certainly do fit with or resemble those schools from a culture, size, and acedemics stand point.

get a little historical knowledge and then get back to us.

Yeah we'd travel terribly in the Pac-10 no one would show up for games at Stanford, Cal, UCLA, USC, 'Zona, and ASU. There's no alumni or donation base in CA, AZ, and Washington; and we most certainly do fit with or resemble those schools from a culture, size, and acedemics stand point.

:lol:

It's nothing more than a pipe dream until CU institutes at least 10 more varsity sports. Once CU has varsity teams in Baseball, Softball, Women's gymnastics, mens and womens swimming and diving, wrestling, men's soccer, men's & womens lacrosse and water polo, we can have this discussion in earnest. So, are all you well heeled Cali alumni willing to step up to the plate and fund an endowment that will finance the costs associated with these programs?

It's nothing more than a pipe dream until CU institutes at least 10 more varsity sports. Once CU has varsity teams in Baseball, Softball, Women's gymnastics, mens and womens swimming and diving, wrestling, men's soccer, men's & womens lacrosse and water polo, we can have this discussion in earnest. So, are all you well heeled Cali alumni willing to step up to the plate and fund an endowment that will finance the costs associated with these programs?

They get money from me, they'd get more but my taxes are going up becuase I have "issues and ****ed up priorities."

Last edited:
They get money from me, they'd get more but my taxes are going up becuase I am a bad person.

OK, so next time you're getting ready to write the check to the athletic department, make sure to specify that the funds are to be directed towards the endowment. :cool:

OK, so next time you're getting ready to write the check to the athletic department, make sure to specify that the funds are to be directed towards the endowment. :cool:

I do but as you know a charitable gift in the order of say 5K affects my pocketbook differently than having to pay 5K more in taxes. Hell if I could come close to a 100% offset of the obama tax increase by giving that money to CU I would right now.

I do but as you know a charitable gift in the order of say 5K affects my pocketbook differently than having to pay 5K more in taxes. Hell if I could come close to a 100% offset of the obama tax increase by giving that money to CU I would right now.

I understand your position and I agree. So it looks like CU won't be in the Pac-10 for a long, long time, if ever.

After reading this entire thread, my opinion has changed 180°. I say CU should join the Pac10.

The school and it's program does fit well with those schools and their athletic programs.

Not that it matters a heck of alot to anyone around here, but the team to then include into the B-12 from my point of view, would have to be Iowa or Arkansas.

Interesting thread, good discussion going on here!:drink2:

BTW... the men's club water polo team is headed back to the national championship tourney this year. They practice in a 20yd pool (regulation is 30 meters). If CU had a reasonable facility they wouldn't compete with the likes of USC, Stanford, UCLA, etc., but they'd beat most of the east coast teams and do well against the lower tiered cali teams. And the women's side is probably more open.

During my time on the team we came in 2nd,a 3rd, and 4th nationally. The talent is there, the facilities are not.

I don't see why swimming and diving couldn't be competitive in the big 12, or anywhere else for that matter, either. It's the facilities. They are truly piss poor.

It seems like a pipe dream, but at some point CU will have to do something about the crappy rec-center pool. I hope they do it right.

BTW... the men's club water polo team is headed back to the national championship tourney this year. They practice in a 20yd pool (regulation is 30 meters). If CU had a reasonable facility they wouldn't compete with the likes of USC, Stanford, UCLA, etc., but they'd beat most of the east coast teams and do well against the lower tiered cali teams. And the women's side is probably more open.

During my time on the team we came in 2nd,a 3rd, and 4th nationally. The talent is there, the facilities are not.

I don't see why swimming and diving couldn't be competitive in the big 12, or anywhere else for that matter, either. It's the facilities. They are truly piss poor.

It seems like a pipe dream, but at some point CU will have to do something about the crappy rec-center pool. I hope they do it right.

The facilities are more than adequate for a student rec center. In fact, they're probably first rate as far as that goes. But for an NCAA varsity competition, they're completely inadequate. The competition pool needs to be 50 yards, not 25.

The Claire Gym, just to the North, could be demolished, with the space used to increase the size of the swimming venues. It would cost a boat-load of money, though. Plus it's the student union that operates the Rec Center, so it would have to remain available to the students to use pretty much whenever they wanted to.

The Claire Gym, just to the North, could be demolished, with the space used to increase the size of the swimming venues. It would cost a boat-load of money, though. Plus it's the student union that operates the Rec Center, so it would have to remain available to the students to use pretty much whenever they wanted to.

Is there a claire gym and a claire classroom building? Because I've never heard of the former, but I definitely had a few classes in the latter.

Clare has a tiny pool in its basement but it's a classroom building housing the integrative physiology department. They might mind you demolishing their building for a new pool.

Would CU necessarily have to join EVERY varsity sport in the Pac-10? The Big East has a ton of teams in basketball and just a handful for football. I agree that the Pac-10 schools are superior in most of the subsidiary sports, but would that necessarily be a pre-req?

The facilities are more than adequate for a student rec center. In fact, they're probably first rate as far as that goes. But for an NCAA varsity competition, they're completely inadequate. The competition pool needs to be 50 yards, not 25.

I've seen quite a few rec center pools around the country and CU's is pretty piss poor. It is cool that you can climb up in the rafters and jump into the dive tank if you know the right people though.

Clare has a tiny pool in its basement but it's a classroom building housing the integrative physiology department. They might mind you demolishing their building for a new pool.

That tiny pool is where my high school team practiced and had it's meets. There's a full length gymnasium above the pool (or at least there was, at one time). The classrooms wouldn't have to be demolished, just the pool & gym. The department of integrative physiology (whatever the hell that is), could move to Carlson. That pool sucks anyway. It's cold, dark, and there aren't any locker facilities nearby. You have to dress in the Rec center and walk past the nice beautiful rec pool and go through a tunnel to get to the Claire pool. Ahhhh, memories.

The alternative would be to leave the Claire Gym/pool in place, and expand the current rec center facilities to the West and South. This wouldn't be the best use of area, but would certainly cost less.

Would CU necessarily have to join EVERY varsity sport in the Pac-10? The Big East has a ton of teams in basketball and just a handful for football. I agree that the Pac-10 schools are superior in most of the subsidiary sports, but would that necessarily be a pre-req?

The quick answer to your question is "no", but in reality, the answer is "yes". If you're the Pac-10, why would you let in a school that doesn't compete in the vast majority of the sports that your conference recognizes? The Pac-10 consideres itself an elite athletic conference (and rightfully so). It isn't interested in schools that can't field teams in the majority of sports.

I've seen quite a few rec center pools around the country and CU's is pretty piss poor. It is cool that you can climb up in the rafters and jump into the dive tank if you know the right people though.

You could be right. I haven't seen any other facilities. I know that the Rec Center pool was put in about 30 years ago, and there haven't been a lot of upgrades since then, so it's probably time. I always considered the CU rec center to be pretty great. It blows the doors off of any public rec center I've ever been to, but it might not hold up so well when compared to other big schools.

I think the only other University rec I have been to was ASU's and it was awesome. Large gym with great pick-up games, huge indoor and outdoor pools and giant weight room. I didn't check out other parts of it though.

I think the only other University rec I have been to was ASU's and it was awesome. Large gym with great pick-up games, huge indoor and outdoor pools and giant weight room. I didn't check out other parts of it though.

For what its worth Stanford's SUCKS and it gets closed frequently so the athletic teams can use it to train which means the student only have access at certain hours.

For what its worth Stanford's SUCKS and it gets closed frequently so the athletic teams can use it to train which means the student only have access at certain hours.

Off the top of my head, I've been to Cal, USC, UCI, Texas, Texas A&M, University of Florida, Williams College, Miami of Ohio, Ohio State, University of Arizona, Arizona State, Carthage College, Cal Poly SLO, Northern Arizona Uni, Florida State, and Davis all of which had better rec centers and pools than CU.

Colorado College is pretty crap tho.

on the rr there is a pretty good debate going on regarding the possibility of cu and utah/byu joining the pac-10 (making it the pac-12). I hadn't given this much thought before, but we tend to recruit out west better than we do down in texas.

A couple pros:
1) pac-10 schools are in far more better locations - i know i'd be more apt to travel to eugene than stillwater.
2) again recruiting base
3) get us out of the big 12 and it's terrible tv package. The pac-12 would be poised to get a great tv deal with the number of high market schools.
4) we could play nebraska in a non-conference series.

A few cons:
1) yeah, it's the pac-10.
2) it would be more travel (in miles)
3) we'd have to go to la (something i don't look forward to)
4) usc

food for thought anyway... Better than talking about how many touchdowns we haven't been scoring.

ralphie report linky

**** no!

I would rather fly to most of those games and visit friends on the coast than drive 8+ hours to all the Big XII games. Other than that, Pac 10 better get a new TV package.

Here is a unlikely scenario, but one that would work. It involves numerous conferences adding/moving teams:

Big 12
North
Oklahoma
Oklahoma St

Kansas
Kansas St
Nebraska
Missouri

South
Texas
Texas AM
Texas Tech
Baylor
TCU
Arkansas - Replaced in SEC by S. Florida

Pac-10
North
Oregon
Oregon St
Wash
Wash St
California
Stanford

South
USC
UCLA
Colorado
Utah or BYU

Arizona
Arizona St

Big 10*
North
Iowa
Iowa St
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Michigan
Michigan St

South
Ohio St
Illinois
Penn St
Indiana
Purdue
Northwestern

Under this scenario every conference gets better and includes a CCG. The Big 12 would be stacked.

I renew my argument now that the season is over... it'd be cool to see happen! :thumbsup:

Back