What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Baylor Rape HQ - (major lawsuit settled)

That could be a big thing that comes out of this: FOIA applying to private institutions if they receive federal money. Could mean that a college can't keep things hidden behind the wall if they accept grants or utilize the student loan program.

Agree. One of the conditions of conference and/or NCAA participation and receipt of federal education funding should be a waiver of rights that private institutions have with Freedom of Information laws on subjects covered by T9 and the Clery Act.

FERPA should also be overhauled so that it protects students, not institutions trying to hide wrongdoing.

Agree. One of the conditions of conference and/or NCAA participation and receipt of federal education funding should be a waiver of rights that private institutions have with Freedom of Information laws on subjects covered by T9 and the Clery Act.

FERPA should also be overhauled so that it protects students, not institutions trying to hide wrongdoing.
Would the conferences be against that though? I could be wrong, but aren't the conferences able to protect some information because they have private institutions in their membership? I always thought that was a major reason each conference likes to have at least 1 private institution (USC, Stanford, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, ****bailer).

Would the conferences be against that though? I could be wrong, but aren't the conferences able to protect some information because they have private institutions in their membership? I always thought that was a major reason each conference likes to have at least 1 private institution (USC, Stanford, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, ****bailer).

I've seen that mentioned as well.
That's the reason why the FIOI should be narrowly applied to T9 and Clery Act issues

Saw a HS/College-age girl who was out shopping with her mom yesterday wearing a Baylor t-shirt. It took all my power not to stop her and her mom and ask them if they knew what had happened to Baylor students who are female and how the school responded.
You should walk around with a stack of cards for a rape crisis center. Then you can just walk up, hand the young lady a card and politely say, "Just in case you need this."

My sense is, and purely speculation, that this thing goes much deeper than anything that has been reported.

These guys were interested in winning football games at all cost, they also thought that they were above the law and untouchable in the context of being a private religious institution. Another big factor is that these people on the board of regents and on top of the administration are used to being the ones who ask the questions, not answer them.

It would not shock me if the reported events and others not reported were known to these people who willingly and knowingly failed to act on them. There is likely evidence that could prove this knowledge and their decisions regarding this ongoing situation.

If and when this evidence becomes public not only is ****Baylor in deep trouble with at the minimum tens of millions of dollars (or hundreds even depending on how deep it goes) in civil judgements but also potentially the loss of federal funds due to title nine.

More so, some of this highly placed and powerful people could be looking at being sued personally and even criminal charges as part of a conspiracy to cover up felonies.

This would lead to not only major issues for them as pertains to the university but could also be the end of their professional careers as well. It is hard for a corporation that is in the public eye to justify keeping someone in a position of authority who is labelled as conspiring in the rape of multiple young women.

Because of this they are going to fight every step of the way to avoid a full and transparent disclosure of anything that could lead deeper into what happened.

In response to @Skidmark the women have been silent because the culture of power has made sure they do. The soccer coach has been told that she has a choice. Go along with the plan and receive the benefits of job stability or rock the boat and try to find another job with a bad recommendation and a reputation as one who can't be trusted.

You would hope that she would have enough character to protect her players, and other female students but remember they are a part of the culture as well, they have been reminded that being a team player is more important than the "outside opponents."

I so hope that Briles digs in and tells the BOR to either pay him the $40MM he's owed or take him to court and prove "cause" - thus releasing all findings of the PH report and exposing the university to huge lawsuits from victims. **** bailer!

Briles has so much leverage here if they truly do not want the report coming out. They will not want this to go to court at all. He will get a big payday.

Briles has so much leverage here if they truly do not want the report coming out. They will not want this to go to court at all. He will get a big payday.

Briles also has to figure that his career is over. He is close to toxic as a HC candidate now.

He will go for every dime he can get and both sides know that he can make it worth making him happy.

I so hope that Briles digs in and tells the BOR to either pay him the $40MM he's owed or take him to court and prove "cause" - thus releasing all findings of the PH report and exposing the university to huge lawsuits from victims. **** bailer!

I am rooting for AB here, anything that costs bailer a ton of money. The report will come out. It will be discoverable in the pending lawsuits. It will probably be restricted access, but it will leak, it is just a question of when. I want AB to hold out, burn bridges and take bailer for all he can. Dare I say it? Go deep Art, go deep.

Ultimately I'd like to see this escalate to the point where a nationally disgraced bailer gets the boot from the Big 12.

Who is bathing in schadenfreude right about now?

This guy! That's who!

Bathing? The schadenfreude for this Baylor faceplant is so pure and potent that it's best to mainline it strait into a vein, rub on your gums, and drop into your eyeball.

The fans in Tennessee are buttchugging Baylor tears.

Bathing? The schadenfreude for this Baylor faceplant is so pure and potent that it's best to mainline it strait into a vein, rub on your gums, and drop into your eyeball.

The fans in Tennessee are buttchugging Baylor tears.

is this the same as felching?
or
vodkatamponning?

@MtnBuff
BU woman's soccer coach Marci Jobson is from Illinois and originally enrolled at Wisconsin before transferring to SMU. She played on the US women's team. She is no Waco wilting flower. Her husband is an assistant coach on the BU woman's soccer team.

She is battle hardened and not just some woman who we should assume falls into some stereotype that categorizes her as seeking job security over clearing her name. Coaching is one of the least stable jobs out there. Getting a microphone in front of her and asking questions about her players is fair game.

Why make excuses and throw out stereotypes instead of holding coaches and the media accountable? This "it's Texas" or "culture of power" sentiment is an excuse. Why enable BU by using their culture to justify BU's tactic of Waller-law? (Delay, deny, coverup, attack the accuser)

@MtnBuff
BU woman's soccer coach Marci Jobson is from Illinois and originally enrolled at Wisconsin before transferring to SMU. She played on the US women's team. She is no Waco wilting flower. Her husband is an assistant coach on the BU woman's soccer team.

She is battle hardened and not just some woman who we should assume falls into some stereotype that categorizes her as seeking job security over clearing her name. Coaching is one of the least stable jobs out there. Getting a microphone in front of her and asking questions about her players is fair game.

Why make excuses and throw out stereotypes instead of holding coaches and the media accountable? This "it's Texas" or "culture of power" sentiment is an excuse. Why enable BU by using their culture to justify BU's tactic of Waller-law? (Delay, deny, coverup, attack the accuser)

Skid, I agree with you, it shows an amazing amount of failure of character for someone in her position, regardless of background, to not speak up.

That said there is more than enough failure of character among an ever growing circle of people in this situation.

I wasn't making excuses for her, just proposing where some of her thinking could be coming from. These guys at top of the pyramid at Baylor are used to doing what they think they need to do in order to get their way. They aren't or don't seem to be bothered by rape, they weren't bothered by murder and drug dealing. It may be, and again this is pure speculation, that some very heavy threats, well outside of what is legal or ethical, have come down on some people.

As I mentioned this situation could very well mean some of these peoples careers and their fortunes, they aren't going to give that up easily, or ethically if it comes down to it.

It is hard for me to stomach this whole situation because I have two daughters who mean the world to me. My thinking is colored by imagining them being put into this kind of situation. First it makes me sick and then it makes me very angry.

I want to see the university broken financially and to see some of these bastards go to jail. Don't think the second one is going to happen but the first will. The longer they try to ignore this the bigger target they will be for the lawsuits.

Remember in 2010 when Scott Drew's assistant threatened to deport Hannar Perea back to Columbia if he opted not to join Baylor's Basketball team?

This trip down memory lane is to just to make sure public interest doesn't get lost while Baylor waits this ****-storm out.

-------
N.C.A.A. Is Investigating Baylor Men’s Program
By PETE THAMEL OCT. 13, 2010

LA PORTE, Ind. — Kevin Kunst, the athletic director at La Lumiere School, said on Wednesday that the N.C.A.A. is engaged in a wide investigation of the Baylor University’s men’s basketball program that includes its recruitment of Hanner Perea, a forward from Colombia who is widely considered one of the best 25 high school juniors in the country.

FoxSports.com first reported the investigation on Wednesday, causing a stir among administrators at La Lumiere, a private school best known as the alma mater of Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr.

The N.C.A.A. investigator Kristen Matha came here last month to question La Lumiere Coach Alan Huss. While Huss declined to reveal details of the conversation, Kunst said that the N.C.A.A. visit involved a larger investigation into Baylor.

“La Lumiere is not at question at all in any shape or form,” Kunst said. “This really has to do with what appears to be a significant, ongoing and much broader investigation of Baylor than this little thing. I think we’re the piece of a larger puzzle.”

The FoxSports.com article included a copy of a text message that was sent from the Baylor assistant Mark Morefield to Huss, saying that Baylor had the power to deport Perea if he did not go to Baylor.

“I guarantee you if he does [commit to another school] he will be in Colombia for the spring and summer and next year. Don’t forget it,” the text message said.

While Kunst would not say whether Baylor coaches were banned from his campus, he said that the message would have an impact on “how much we have interaction with Baylor.”

He added: “Is this what the world has come to? I understand college athletics is a serious business, and it’s a business that brings a lot of money to universities and that’s always going to bring out the darker sides of things. But this is a kid. He’s a kid, at the end of the day.”

Baylor Athletic Director Ian McCaw declined to comment by text message. Morefield and Baylor Coach Scott Drew did not return calls seeking comment.

Earlier this month, LaceDarius Dunn, a preseason all-American, was indefinitely suspended from the Baylor team after he was charged with felony assault of his girlfriend.

Drew has spoken with, but not retained, an El Paso-based lawyer, Jim Darnell, who recently represented the former U.S.C. coach Tim Floyd in the N.C.A.A.’s investigation into the Trojan basketball program.

“I don’t know that Coach Drew even needs a lawyer,” Darnell said. “He and I talked and visited about how these things work. I’ve been through this drill enough times to know how it works.”

Darnell added, “From what I understand, the focus would not be on Coach Drew.”

Matha, who is part of the N.C.A.A.’s Basketball Focus Group, spent a few hours last month with Huss.
“I can’t comment on anything,” Huss said, sitting on a bleacher in the school’s gym. “Literally, my job is on the line.”

In a telephone interview last week, however, Huss revealed the tenor of some of the N.C.A.A.’s questions.

“My impression of the N.C.A.A. is that they’re making a very concentrated effort to understand the system better and employ people who actually understand what’s going on,” Huss said.

“My impression is that they have a pretty good handle of what’s going on, and they’re trying to clean it up,” Huss said of N.C.A.A. investigations of men’s basketball programs.

He added, “I was amazed at how well they seem to have a grasp at what’s going on.”

Perea is a 6-foot-8, 210-pound forward known for his freakish athletic ability. He plays summer basketball for the Bloomington-based Indiana Elite program.

Although his college choices reportedly have been narrowed to Baylor and Indiana, Alabama, Missouri and Tennessee have also been mentioned.

Perea came to the United States through the A-Hope Foundation, a nonprofit organization based in Bloomington, Ind., that has helped more than a dozen talented foreigners come to the United States and earn college scholarships. Kunst said that Perea is fine and in no danger of being sent overseas. (He would not allow Perea to comment.)

“I don’t think he was aware of it,” said Kunst, referring to the inquiry. “I think it was all above him.”

Administrators here are not concerned that the program is under N.C.A.A. scrutiny.

“We’ve obviously met and conferred and our understanding of the situation, as the best we understand it, is that this is really Baylor’s issue,” Kunst said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/14/sp...ylor.html?_r=0

Yeah, but the context isn't consistent with reality. There are no shortage of pissed off Texans. Even Christian Texans.

It will be interesting to see what happens. Clearly there were some big money individuals who took over the Board of Regents, steamrolled many of the members who are preachers (not businesspeople or educators), and were able to push a vision over the past 15 years of driving athletics and political activism in ways that deviated from Baylor tradition. Everyone enjoyed the ride and they were successful enough that a dissenting voice was not going to be heard. But now, with what has happened, we may very well see a silent majority step up and take back control of what was a university focused on good academics and strict adherence to an honor code... which also competes in D1 athletics but won't compromise the rest to do so successfully.

@Buffnik - it will also be interesting to watch the B12, NCAA, various federal departments, the State of Texas, and corporate sponsors engage.

Thus far, this story is mainly lord of the flies between fan bases, with a little Ken Starr (yes, that Ken Starr) thrown in for the politicos.

OTL/ESPN, HornsDigest, Texas Monthly and Deadspin have been the go-to media outlets. The mainstream media is fairly passive thus far.

I suspect Baylor is learning that pre-social media PR play books aren't working very well. The crisis management doesn't bode well for a Baylor MBA. The way Baylor handled the PH investigation doesn't bode well for the value of a Baylor Law degree. And the tone-deaf fan base doesn't bode well for a Baylor Theology degree.

With a high order of magnitude $60-$100million in damages and severance on the horizon on top of the loss of credibility, Baylor might be facing an extinction event.

Those big Baylor donors might try to ride this falling institution all the way to the bottom. But the meek majority is just as likely abandon to ship as they are to inherent the Baylor world (and those debt payments)

It's damn hard to justify why anyone would voluntarily pay $40K per year tuition for the privilege of being associated with the Baylor brand and all the stink that goes with enabling rape, covering up felonies, victim shaming, and generally stepping on your own dick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back