What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Baylor Rape HQ - (major lawsuit settled)

Because they didn't monitor the situation more closely and fire him long ago?

Didn't even have a Title IX compliance officer from 2011-2014. Basically, Briles did things exactly like Starr and the BOR wanted him to. Heck, a case could be made that the handling of violence within the football program was no more ****ed up than on the campus in general. It just blew up in their faces with football.

He's guilty, made the decisions on the ground, and there is no excuse for his decisions. But they were hoping that firing him would be a big enough move that it would protect everyone above. Maybe not the AD if it came to it, but hopefully Starr and definitely the BOR.

I can see his case and why he refuses to be a scapegoat or go away quietly with a small portion of the buyout. I love that he's forcing the hand of the BOR: either settle with me for a big ass number or go to court, face a bigger potential settlement in a wrongful termination lawsuit, and have to disclose all investigative notes as part of the public record.

At this point, I've got the popcorn out and hope I get to witness this thing going full blown scorched earth.

News of the wrongful termination lawsuit was included in the ABC radio news update during afternoon listening yesterday here in Minnesota. **** bailer is back in the national news cycle.

Briles has settled apparently.

**** Bailer doing **** Bailer things. Hoping with enough money they make this go away.

Briles has settled apparently.

**** Bailer doing **** Bailer things. Hoping with enough money they make this go away.

Truth and transparency be damned. Buying silence is at the cornerstone of Baylor values.

Just a few more undisclosed settlements to arrange with a few women (who should have known better than to be out late in mixed company) and then it's back to "normal."

Sort of random question for folks:

If, and this is a big ****ing if, you had an AD with strong oversight abilities and a strong culture of compliance with both NCAA and Title IX requirements, would you consider hiring Briles?

A. Would he even be capable of operating in such an environment?
B. How much of his on field success was dependent on the cess pool culture at **** Bailer?
C. What would you need to see from him in order to give him that chance?

My theory:
Briles was confronted with the reality that he could get really dirty taking on Baylor.. Both have a lot to lose if it got dirty and they probably showed AB a card they are holding.

Last edited:
Wow! I wonder how much they paid to keep the PH report under wraps?
The problem for **** bailer and Briles is that **** like the PH report ALWAYS leaks out eventually. I'm sure that they paid Briles a ton of money to go away, and they'll probably end up settling the Title IX suits as well, but I would be willing to bet that the entire report leaks within 6 months.

If, and this is a big ****ing if, you had an AD with strong oversight abilities and a strong culture of compliance with both NCAA and Title IX requirements, would you consider hiring Briles?

B. How much of his on field success was dependent on the cess pool culture at **** Bailer?

No. I would not consider it. He did what he did. Beyond that, the PR issues wouldn't allow it. However, imho, Briles would never have done what he did and he would have been just like any other coach if the university had any sort of institutional control. He and his staff were tasked with handling all discipline issues - even criminal ones - and there weren't any barriers to him bringing in anyone he wanted no matter their background.

But it seems to even have gone beyond giving him total control of the football program with almost no oversight. Actually, the issues with mishandling sexual violence seem to have been a university-wide problem under Starr and this BOR. The football program is a very public face of the issues at Baylor, but is symptomatic of a university-wide problem.

No. I would not consider it. He did what he did. Beyond that, the PR issues wouldn't allow it. However, imho, Briles would never have done what he did and he would have been just like any other coach if the university had any sort of institutional control. He and his staff were tasked with handling all discipline issues - even criminal ones - and there weren't any barriers to him bringing in anyone he wanted no matter their background.

But it seems to even have gone beyond giving him total control of the football program with almost no oversight. Actually, the issues with mishandling sexual violence seem to have been a university-wide problem under Starr and this BOR. The football program is a very public face of the issues at Baylor, but is symptomatic of a university-wide problem.
I'm pretty much with you.

But I do sort of come back to C. What would you need to see from him in order to give him that chance?

I could actually see a path back; but I don't think he's capable of travelling that path (for starters he would have to really understand that the actions he took and decisions he made were terrible and wrong, and he's so far away from that first step that's it's silly to even talk about what steps 2-7 would/should be).

OTOH, I've been wrong about people's ability to undergo meaningful change before.

Last edited:
With their deny and deflect strategy ****bailer (has any said that yet today) had no choice than to pay Briles.

His lawyer simply reminds them how many millions the information that would come out in court would mean in judgements when all the victims start suing the university.

I think that Baylor still thinks that they can ride this out and let it blow over, Briles in court would end that idea.

Personally, I couldn't stomach hiring Briles either way. Pragmatically, it would depend on if I'm a P5 program (no way in hell) or if I'm a small-time G5 program trying to stay relevant. If I'm the University of North Texas, I'm calling that dude yesterday.

Same reason Petrino got snatched up by Western Kentucky pretty quickly

Briles won't coach again in college. Maybe at a high school, though. Dude just got paid. He can do the Dave Logan thing and coach high school for fun. I wouldn't want my daughter to go to whatever high school he ends up at, though.

Personally, I couldn't stomach hiring Briles either way. Pragmatically, it would depend on if I'm a P5 program (no way in hell) or if I'm a small-time G5 program trying to stay relevant. If I'm the University of North Texas, I'm calling that dude yesterday.

Same reason Petrino got snatched up by Western Kentucky pretty quickly

Petrino's transgressions paled in comparison, though. Getting some action with an assistant volleyball coach is unseemly, but in the end, nothing but his marriage was hurt.
Briles, OTOH, was allowing rapists to roam free on the campus and he was running interference for them.

I understand your point, I'm just pointing out that the two situations are very different.

Petrino's transgressions paled in comparison, though. Getting some action with an assistant volleyball coach is unseemly, but in the end, nothing but his marriage was hurt.
Briles, OTOH, was allowing rapists to roam free on the campus and he was running interference for them.

I understand your point, I'm just pointing out that the two situations are very different.

Let's not forget that Briles was recruiting known offenders to transfer to Baylor.

I hope that the firing and settlement agreed to with Briles will not provide a path for **** bailer to escape further scrutiny and accountability. I don't understand why there is not more investigation from outside the "university" to this point

Briles won't coach again in college. Maybe at a high school, though. Dude just got paid. He can do the Dave Logan thing and coach high school for fun. I wouldn't want my daughter to go to whatever high school he ends up at, though.
I think this is more hope for humanity than based on reality, and that he will eventually be back in the P5 because of his record on the field. I have zero faith in college ADs and administrators.

I think this is more hope for humanity than based on reality, and that he will eventually be back in the P5 because of his record on the field. I have zero faith in college ADs and administrators.

You could be right. Thing is, Briles isn't a young guy. He's 60 years old. If he wanted to coach in the college ranks again, he'd have to start as an OC for an obscure FCS school for a while, then gradually make his way back. That's a long process. He just got paid a boatload of money. He won't serve any jail time over this. He basically just hit the lottery. Unless he's one of those guys who is just driven to coach, I expect he will go find a quiet place to live out his retirement.

You could be right. Thing is, Briles isn't a young guy. He's 60 years old. If he wanted to coach in the college ranks again, he'd have to start as an OC for an obscure FCS school for a while, then gradually make his way back. That's a long process. He just got paid a boatload of money. He won't serve any jail time over this. He basically just hit the lottery. Unless he's one of those guys who is just driven to coach, I expect he will go find a quiet place to live out his retirement.
I coulda been great

Back