What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Baylor Rape HQ - (major lawsuit settled)

Yep.

All that has gone on here and will happen is very complex. But at its heart, this is all pretty simple.

Some bigwigs who went to Baylor wanted bragging rights over other Texas bigwigs who went to other Texas schools. So they put a president and a coach in place who would make it happen, no matter what corners needed to be cut, and they donated hundreds of millions for a stadium and other program resources to see it through. Same exact mentality that caused the downfall of SMU when their bigwigs tried to buy a national championship.

Yep.

All that has gone on here and will happen is very complex. But at its heart, this is all pretty simple.

Some bigwigs who went to Baylor wanted bragging rights over other Texas bigwigs who went to other Texas schools. So they put a president and a coach in place who would make it happen, no matter what corners needed to be cut, and they donated hundreds of millions for a stadium and other program resources to see it through. Same exact mentality that caused the downfall of SMU when their bigwigs tried to buy a national championship.

In related news, I saw a rumor that the website with a petition to kick Baylor out of the B12 traces back to some place in Utah. Speculation is that BYU, who so desperately want to join the brotherhood of the P5, are already pretending to be upset B12 fans.

That rumor seems crazy enough to have merit.

And if ever there were an occasion to use those Baylor regent emails for masking your own Internet registration, that petition would be the place.

In related news, I saw a rumor that the website with a petition to kick Baylor out of the B12 traces back to some place in Utah. Speculation is that BYU, who so desperately want to join the brotherhood of the P5, are already pretending to be upset B12 fans.

That rumor seems crazy enough to have merit.

And if ever there were an occasion to use those Baylor regent emails for masking your own Internet registration, that petition would be the place.
weren't the BYU fans the ones posing as Utah fans stirring up ****? I seem to recall... @Uncle Ken would know - he remembers everything

Good stuff by ESPN's Andrea Adelson:

The regents made important first steps when they decided to suspend Briles. But a complete termination and clean slate is required for Baylor to truly show it is serious about moving forward and displaying a real culture change.

Good stuff by ESPN's Andrea Adelson:

The regents made important first steps when they decided to suspend Briles. But a complete termination and clean slate is required for Baylor to truly show it is serious about moving forward and displaying a real culture change.
The article below that one is titled "Who are the Baylor Regents?" and gives a brief bio on each of them. One owns a company located in Boulder:

Richard Willis: Willis was chairman of the board of regents for four consecutive years before stepping down on June 1. He is the president and CEO of Pharmaca Integrative Pharmacy in Boulder, Colorado, and previously was an executive with several Web-based and magazine publishing companies. He holds a bachelor's degree in business administration and a master's degree in business administration from Baylor University.

Nice surprise today....Kate Fagan was on ESPN Dallas to talk about this BS. I had no idea she is a Buff.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kate_Fagan_(sportswriter)

artist.jpg

I feel dirty clicking on something from the Huff Post tho'.
But willing to compromise common sense and morals to say ****BAILER!
At the point where they are one of the few outlets that are really taking **** Baylor to task, I'm willing to send lots of clicks their way. And, once there, to click on the "continue with story" bar, to prove it's actually getting read.

At the point where they are one of the few outlets that are really taking **** Baylor to task, I'm willing to send lots of clicks their way. And, once there, to click on the "continue with story" bar, to prove it's actually getting read.
It's Bailer..... Not Baylor

Here's an example of a Baylor alum who gets it and represents all that the university is supposed to stand for (but hasn't for about the past 15 years). His letter to the Baylor Board of Regents is a long read, but worth it. I think our Christians on Allbuffs will especially appreciate the words of the author.

AN APPEAL TO THE BAYLOR BOARD OF REGENTS
by Eugene Hung

Dear Regents,

Thank you for taking this moment to hear from a brother in Christ. As Baylor University is a Baptist institution, and as I'm a licensed Baptist minister who grew up in Texas, attending a Baptist elementary school and a Baptist church, I think there's a lot we have in common. Additionally, like some of you, I have a background in vocational ministry. I hold a four-year Master of Theology (Th.M.) degree from Dallas Seminary, and I served as a full-time church minister for over a dozen years before switching over to the nonprofit space. I hope our commonalities help us each to understand where the other is coming from.

Of course, you're aware that there are multiple reports that influential people in the larger Baylor community are putting pressure on you. Namely, they want you to limit Mr. Briles' penalty to a one-year suspension and to keep the rest of his staff intact.

Perhaps these influential people have forgotten this phrase:

Thou art the man!

In all the years you and I have sat under Baptist preaching and teaching, going all the way back to our childhoods and our King James Bibles, we no doubt have heard this phrase at least once. And many of us even know right away where the line comes from: the prophet Nathan's confrontation of King David.

Now, I suspect that the folks lobbying for Mr. Briles' and his staff's return don't quite get just how awful and horrific Baylor's sins have been. But I hope they'll understand if they hear the line again:

Thou art the man!

My studies at Dallas Seminary helped me to see things in the Scriptures that I'd never seen before. I saw Bathsheba for the first time as she really was - not as the seductive temptress we see in modern Bible films, but as a typical Israelite woman, bathing where she would have normally done so. I also learned that David was not where he normally should have been - with his soldiers, at the front, being responsible and accountable. And from his high vantage point above the hilly city of Jerusalem, he gazed longingly and lustfully upon Bathsheba, and then acted. The Hebrew phrase in 2 Samuel 11 is chilling. Translated, it is literally, “he took her.”

He raped her.

Bathsheba was no temptress. He was the king. She was his subject. He took her. That does not describe consent at all.

We will recall that after sending for her and having sex with her, he then went to great lengths to cover up the subsequent pregnancy. He first summoned Uriah back from the front and encouraged him to take a load off, to go home to his wife for a conjugal visit. Uriah refused. David then plied him with alcohol to get him drunk, hoping that Uriah would then go have sex with his wife. Though intoxicated, Uriah still refused. Finally, David had Uriah sent back to the battlefield with secret instructions for the general in charge: put Uriah in the nastiest part of the fighting, and then retreat from him, leaving him without support or cover, so he dies.

You know this story well, I'm sure. You have probably even taught it from the pulpit or in Sunday School. We remember that David’s sins of rape and murder-by-proxy are followed by months of non-repentance. He goes about his business, not feeling a bit of guilt, not recognizing just how horrific his actions have been. His sense of entitlement is on full display as he then brings Bathsheba into his palace and makes her another one of his wives. And then she gives birth to a son.

The Bible's words are familiar in 2 Samuel 12:1-4 (NLT):

"So the Lord sent Nathan the prophet to tell David this story: 'There were two men in a certain town. One was rich, and one was poor. The rich man owned a great many sheep and cattle. The poor man owned nothing but one little lamb he had bought. He raised that little lamb, and it grew up with his children. It ate from the man’s own plate and drank from his cup. He cuddled it in his arms like a baby daughter. One day a guest arrived at the home of the rich man. But instead of killing an animal from his own flock or herd, he took the poor man’s lamb and killed it and prepared it for his guest.'"

David, the account says, was infuriated. Full of self-righteousness, he responded, “As surely as the Lord lives … any man who would do such a thing deserves to die! He must repay four lambs to the poor man for the one he stole and for having no pity.”

Surely Nathan’s old, steely eyes glared right into David’s as he declared, “You are that man!” Or in the language of the King James Version:

Thou art the man.

Let’s apply this passage to the matter at hand. I humbly yet firmly believe that Baylor, as a whole, as a unit, has behaved like "the man," like King David. The school, through high-level employees, enabled sexual crimes against women and covered them up. In the interest of maintaining its huge success on the field and its new-found national adulation, and awash in dollars pouring in from enthusiastic donors, Baylor acted like the rich man in the parable. That is, it took something from vulnerable people. The rich man stole from the poor man and his family; Baylor stole from women who trusted the school to protect them. And Mr. Briles and other football staffers were the most responsible. Like Catholic bishops who gave second and third chances to pedophilic priests as they transferred them from one parish to another, Mr. Briles and other coaches committed grievous wrongs. They abused their leadership positions, and would be fired from any Baptist church or school.

Except for Baylor, that is, if some influential people have their way.

Thou art the man.

With Baylor’s witness for Jesus in tatters, and its name now synonymous with hypocrisy among non-Baptists, these influencers need to hear that line and that story again. They need to see how closely Baylor's actions have mirrored King David's, and to feel convicted with absolute clarity about how horrifically the school has treated Jasmin Hernandez and the other rape survivors.

Please help these powerful people, whether donors or even fellow board members, to understand. Show them and a watching world that Baylor is broken in its sorrow, and repents.

"You do not desire a sacrifice, or I would offer one.
You do not want a burnt offering.
The sacrifice you desire is a broken spirit,
You will not reject a broken and repentant heart, O God" (Psalm 51:16-17 NLT).

Thank you so much for listening. I pray that God gives you courage and grace going forward.

ruh roh...

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Fired Baylor coach Art Briles is ripping his former employer, accusing the school of wrongful termination and indicating he has no interest in settling a federal lawsuit filed against him and the university by a woman who was raped by a football player.

The criticism in a motion filed Thursday as part of the lawsuit. Briles says he wants a judge to assign him new attorneys and his personal legal team is demanding that Baylor turn over all its files in the sexual assault scandal that has gripped the Baptist university for months.

The letter says Briles "does not wish to settle the case," contrary to what Baylor lawyers told the judge last week.

Briles' petition says he met April 7 with Baylor attorneys and that they used information he shared to support his firing.

http://collegefootball.ap.org/article/apnewsbreak-fired-coach-art-briles-lambastes-baylor

Here's an example of a Baylor alum who gets it and represents all that the university is supposed to stand for (but hasn't for about the past 15 years). His letter to the Baylor Board of Regents is a long read, but worth it. I think our Christians on Allbuffs will especially appreciate the words of the author.

by Eugene Hung

Dear Regents,

Thank you for taking this moment to hear from a brother in Christ. As Baylor University is a Baptist institution, and as I'm a licensed Baptist minister who grew up in Texas, attending a Baptist elementary school and a Baptist church, I think there's a lot we have in common. Additionally, like some of you, I have a background in vocational ministry. I hold a four-year Master of Theology (Th.M.) degree from Dallas Seminary, and I served as a full-time church minister for over a dozen years before switching over to the nonprofit space. I hope our commonalities help us each to understand where the other is coming from.

Of course, you're aware that there are multiple reports that influential people in the larger Baylor community are putting pressure on you. Namely, they want you to limit Mr. Briles' penalty to a one-year suspension and to keep the rest of his staff intact.

Thou art the man!

In all the years you and I have sat under Baptist preaching and teaching, going all the way back to our childhoods and our King James Bibles, we no doubt have heard this phrase at least once. And many of us even know right away where the line comes from: the prophet Nathan's confrontation of King David.

Now, I suspect that the folks lobbying for Mr. Briles' and his staff's return don't quite get just how awful and horrific Baylor's sins have been. But I hope they'll understand if they hear the line again:

Thou art the man!

My studies at Dallas Seminary helped me to see things in the Scriptures that I'd never seen before. I saw Bathsheba for the first time as she really was - not as the seductive temptress we see in modern Bible films, but as a typical Israelite woman, bathing where she would have normally done so. I also learned that David was not where he normally should have been - with his soldiers, at the front, being responsible and accountable. And from his high vantage point above the hilly city of Jerusalem, he gazed longingly and lustfully upon Bathsheba, and then acted. The Hebrew phrase in 2 Samuel 11 is chilling. Translated, it is literally, “he took her.”

He raped her.

Bathsheba was no temptress. He was the king. She was his subject. He took her. That does not describe consent at all.

We will recall that after sending for her and having sex with her, he then went to great lengths to cover up the subsequent pregnancy. He first summoned Uriah back from the front and encouraged him to take a load off, to go home to his wife for a conjugal visit. Uriah refused. David then plied him with alcohol to get him drunk, hoping that Uriah would then go have sex with his wife. Though intoxicated, Uriah still refused. Finally, David had Uriah sent back to the battlefield with secret instructions for the general in charge: put Uriah in the nastiest part of the fighting, and then retreat from him, leaving him without support or cover, so he dies.

You know this story well, I'm sure. You have probably even taught it from the pulpit or in Sunday School. We remember that David’s sins of rape and murder-by-proxy are followed by months of non-repentance. He goes about his business, not feeling a bit of guilt, not recognizing just how horrific his actions have been. His sense of entitlement is on full display as he then brings Bathsheba into his palace and makes her another one of his wives. And then she gives birth to a son.

"So the Lord sent Nathan the prophet to tell David this story: 'There were two men in a certain town. One was rich, and one was poor. The rich man owned a great many sheep and cattle. The poor man owned nothing but one little lamb he had bought. He raised that little lamb, and it grew up with his children. It ate from the man’s own plate and drank from his cup. He cuddled it in his arms like a baby daughter. One day a guest arrived at the home of the rich man. But instead of killing an animal from his own flock or herd, he took the poor man’s lamb and killed it and prepared it for his guest.'"

David, the account says, was infuriated. Full of self-righteousness, he responded, “As surely as the Lord lives … any man who would do such a thing deserves to die! He must repay four lambs to the poor man for the one he stole and for having no pity.”

Surely Nathan’s old, steely eyes glared right into David’s as he declared, “You are that man!” Or in the language of the King James Version:

Thou art the man.

Let’s apply this passage to the matter at hand. I humbly yet firmly believe that Baylor, as a whole, as a unit, has behaved like "the man," like King David. The school, through high-level employees, enabled sexual crimes against women and covered them up. In the interest of maintaining its huge success on the field and its new-found national adulation, and awash in dollars pouring in from enthusiastic donors, Baylor acted like the rich man in the parable. That is, it took something from vulnerable people. The rich man stole from the poor man and his family; Baylor stole from women who trusted the school to protect them. And Mr. Briles and other football staffers were the most responsible. Like Catholic bishops who gave second and third chances to pedophilic priests as they transferred them from one parish to another, Mr. Briles and other coaches committed grievous wrongs. They abused their leadership positions, and would be fired from any Baptist church or school.

Thou art the man.

With Baylor’s witness for Jesus in tatters, and its name now synonymous with hypocrisy among non-Baptists, these influencers need to hear that line and that story again. They need to see how closely Baylor's actions have mirrored King David's, and to feel convicted with absolute clarity about how horrifically the school has treated Jasmin Hernandez and the other rape survivors.

Please help these powerful people, whether donors or even fellow board members, to understand. Show them and a watching world that Baylor is broken in its sorrow, and repents.

Thank you so much for listening. I pray that God gives you courage and grace going forward.

I'm confused. He seems to be against bringing Art Briles back.

But then he keeps repeating that Art is the man!

by Eugene Hung

Dear Regents,

Thou art the man!

Thou art the man!

He raped her.

Thou art the man.

Thou art the man.

Wow. Powerful words. I hope they fall upon listening ears.

I can sometimes find myself more interested in studying the New Testament, because of the emphasis on grace and forgiveness, but it's good for me to remember that the Old Testament contains relevant, and sometimes convicting, messages for me (and thus, my need for grace and forgiveness).

Thanks for sharing, Nik.

ruh roh...

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Fired Baylor coach Art Briles is ripping his former employer, accusing the school of wrongful termination and indicating he has no interest in settling a federal lawsuit filed against him and the university by a woman who was raped by a football player.

The criticism in a motion filed Thursday as part of the lawsuit. Briles says he wants a judge to assign him new attorneys and his personal legal team is demanding that Baylor turn over all its files in the sexual assault scandal that has gripped the Baptist university for months.

The letter says Briles "does not wish to settle the case," contrary to what Baylor lawyers told the judge last week.

Briles' petition says he met April 7 with Baylor attorneys and that they used information he shared to support his firing.

http://collegefootball.ap.org/article/apnewsbreak-fired-coach-art-briles-lambastes-baylor

Love this and hope he takes it public for a long and protracted fight. ****bailer is going to see how bad it can get. The end result is going to be the total destruction and death penalty for the program whether the NCAA gets involved or not. Oh, also **** bailer!

Back