What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Baylor Rape HQ - (major lawsuit settled)

Yes. My kid's going to a private university in the fall and we've been informed in certain terms that the school won't provide any information (grade, health) to us.

I believe that's true for students over 18, which the majority are. But IIRC, if the kid is still a minor (in most states under 18) because they're smart and skipped a grade or something, I think the parents are legally entitled to info. I may be mistaken but I'm too lazy to research it ... and it's been awhile since I practiced education law.

I believe that's true for students over 18, which the majority are. But IIRC, if the kid is still a minor (in most states under 18) because they're smart and skipped a grade or something, I think the parents are legally entitled to info. I may be mistaken but I'm too lazy to research it ... and it's been awhile since I practiced education law.

Working the other way, at least in Colorado, if a student is under the age of 21 and enrolled in a public school system they are considered a minor in relation to their dealings with that school system unless it has been determined that they are emancipated from their parents. Their parents have full access to their records and are considered responsible for their conduct.

If we suspend a student who is 20 years old we still have to contact a parent and normally have the parent sign the suspension notice.

We have some discretion if the student is living independently, is married, etc. but the older kids still often get upset saying "I'm over 18, you don't have to notify my mom/dad." They aren't happy when we tell them we do and proceed to do so.

Working the other way, at least in Colorado, if a student is under the age of 21 and enrolled in a public school system they are considered a minor in relation to their dealings with that school system unless it has been determined that they are emancipated from their parents. Their parents have full access to their records and are considered responsible for their conduct.

If we suspend a student who is 20 years old we still have to contact a parent and normally have the parent sign the suspension notice.

We have some discretion if the student is living independently, is married, etc. but the older kids still often get upset saying "I'm over 18, you don't have to notify my mom/dad." They aren't happy when we tell them we do and proceed to do so.

Interesting - my neighbors' daughter is going to UNC this fall, and the first thing they told the parents at orientation was that they could not share the records of anyone over 18 with their parents. School policy instead of state law?

Interesting - my neighbors' daughter is going to UNC this fall, and the first thing they told the parents at orientation was that they could not share the records of anyone over 18 with their parents. School policy instead of state law?

Just to clarify I am talking about K-12 education. Once they go to the college level then the law is entirely different, they are considered adults and their right to privacy takes priority.

I know that some would disagree but I don't think it is smart to assume that just because someone is 18 and has a HS diploma that they are automatically ready for full adult autonomy. A logical compromise would be to allow the student to sign a waiver allowing their parents limited or full access to their records. This would not in any way be compulsory and if the student was able to provide his/her own financial support would be completely optional. Where it would fit in is if mom and dad are footing the bill for school as they so often do then the parents simply say sign or we don't pay. If the student doesn't want to sign then they can find their own way to fund school, if they want support then they can agree to the parents having access to the information.

If a parent feels that their kids are at a level where they don't need to have that access then they don't ask the kid to sign or they don't bother to request the information.

According to the link, FERPA limits disclosure of educational and health information, but it appears some of this information could be shared with parents under the law. My guess is most universities have a policies over-limiting disclosure. That said, double **** Bailer for using this information to keep assault victims quiet.

I think there are forms you sign if you are the bill payer that can allow the parents to have access from the start.

It's been years since ferpa training though.

Regardless of what and how much detail **** bailer! could release to parents, they threatened it and these young women believed it. Horrible abuse of power. But it is probably worse if they lied to them about this, too, or if they disregarded FERPA and had a full disclosure policy with parents.

More on the way **** bailer! threatened victims:

Pepper Hamilton’s report cited the policy as “creating barriers” to victims reporting their assaults, due both to fears of being punished and those of parental informing.

It's a religious school thing. BYU walks sexual assault reports from the Title Nine office directly to the Honor Code compliance office for their review. The school wants to insure that the young woman reporting the rape wasn't drinking, doing drugs, or engaging in behaviors that might have enticed the rapist, such as being alone together in an apartment. If she is found to have violated the honor code, or if she doesn't attend the hearing, she is expelled or suspended, even if the assault report was verified. BYU is reviewing their protocol, which, generally, means no significant change. Multiple articles in the SL Tribune recently, and a few in the Church owned Deseret News.

Religion remains a major hindrance to human progress.

Odd statement. Without religion Europe would never have recovered from the dark ages. The monasteries preserved classical knowledge and set the stage for astronomy and chemistry. The Renaissance required the stability of the governments at the time - all endorsed and supported by the church. Sure, there are some backward ideas from traditional religion, but overall it is an integral part of the "progression" of humanity.

Odd statement. Without religion Europe would never have recovered from the dark ages. The monasteries preserved classical knowledge and set the stage for astronomy and chemistry. The Renaissance required the stability of the governments at the time - all endorsed and supported by the church. Sure, there are some backward ideas from traditional religion, but overall it is an integral part of the "progression" of humanity.
Indeed. Galileo and Copernicus would agree that religion laid the foundation for astronomy when they embraced forward thinking ideas. Classical knowledge was preserved in monastaries because the church chose to control all classic knowledge and persecute those that would share it without Church approval. Humanity would have figured out how to get out of the Dark Ages with or without religion.

Indeed. Galileo and Copernicus would agree that religion laid the foundation for astronomy when they embraced forward thinking ideas. Classical knowledge was preserved in monastaries because the church chose to control all classic knowledge and persecute those that would share it without Church approval. Humanity would have figured out how to get out of the Dark Ages with or without religion.
The ashes of Bruno have prepared a statement on this topic...

what's this **** got to do with ****bailer

**** bailer!

And as the school prepares for its first season since 2007 without Briles, the school unveiled a policy change on Tuesday morning.

Assistant coaches will not be made available to the media this season. Interim coach Jim Grobe will be the only one to speak to reporters. His first availability of the preseason will be Thursday.

Similar universities have policies restricting access to assistants. Last year, media were allowed to request interviews with Baylor assistants through the athletic department.

The policy change comes at a time when "football coaches and staff" were repeatedly mentioned in a third-party investigation describing Baylor's failure to handle sexual assault cases. Since that report was released in May, none of the assistants have officially spoken to the media.

None of the assistants should still be employed. If the NCAA or Big 12 doesn't come up with something soon, I'm going to be very disappointed in college football overall.

None of the assistants should still be employed. If the NCAA or Big 12 doesn't come up with something soon, I'm going to be very disappointed in college football overall.

And Nike, too. I just don't understand why Phil Knight tolerates his swoosh being affiliated with Baylor.

And Nike, too. I just don't understand why Phil Knight tolerates his swoosh being affiliated with Baylor.

Not as bad as the Penn State affiliation. Doesn't seem to impact people putting their children in Nike clothes or to impact women wearing Nike.

Back