What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Best Football Program in the State?

I think it's the "If all things were equal" argument. "If they'd played our schedule" and/or "If we'd played their schedule" what would the results have been?
We played the first game of the season. They pretty much dominated from late second quarter on, no fluke win or anything. No qualifiers needed.

I think it's the "If all things were equal" argument. "If they'd played our schedule" and/or "If we'd played their schedule" what would the results have been?

All things were equal when we played them. Say what you will about their schedule versus ours, but we played them healthy and on a neutral field and they kicked our butts.

Nobody is awarding them games. They went 2-10. After seeing how CU played against Utah just a couple weeks prior to Utah's drubbing of CSU, I believe CU had come a long way from the beginning of the season when they lost to CSU. I know your mouth breathing, no moral victories philosophy, rolls its eyes at that notion, but it's OK. At least you have a funny signature!
I believe we were better in 2014. That's about all you can really say. CSU flat out whooped us. There are better examples to use for games we could/should have won.

We played the first game of the season. They pretty much dominated from late second quarter on, no fluke win or anything. No qualifiers needed.
No, they dominated the FOURTH QUARTER where they scored 17 unanswered points after we went into the 4th quarter with the lead.

I believe we were better in 2014. That's about all you can really say. CSU flat out whooped us. There are better examples to use for games we could/should have won.

I've never said we could/should have beaten CSU. I said if we played them at the end of the season, I believe we would have beat them, based on how I saw CU progress throughout and CSU regress throughout, culminating in a common opponent beat down.

From the beginning, I've said CU could/should have beaten Cal, OSU, UCLA and Utah. I have never put CSU in that group because it wasn't that close of the game and they did beat us handily in the 2nd half.

I've never said we could/should have beaten CSU. I said if we played them at the end of the season, I believe we would have beat them, based on how I saw CU progress throughout and CSU regress throughout, culminating in a common opponent beat down.

From the beginning, I've said CU could/should have beaten Cal, OSU, UCLA and Utah. I have never put CSU in that group because it wasn't that close of the game and they did beat us handily in the 2nd half.

You don't think CSU losing its head coach had anything to do with that performance against Utah? It doesn't matter anyway, we lost. We almost lost to UMASS but we conveniently ignore that "almost" outcome.

No, they dominated the FOURTH QUARTER where they scored 17 unanswered points after we went into the 4th quarter with the lead.
Honestly, go with whatever makes you feel better. But I think a lot of people watching the game saw it slipping away way before the 4th quarter.

Honestly, go with whatever makes you feel better. But I think a lot of people watching the game saw it slipping away way before the 4th quarter.

So we can't talk about should/could have won multiple games that we didn't because that would be a "moral victory", but you can overlook the fact that CU was winning going into the 4th and, like a lot of games this year, just couldn't finish? Please be consistent.

You don't think CSU losing its head coach had anything to do with that performance against Utah? It doesn't matter anyway, we lost. We almost lost to UMASS but we conveniently ignore that "almost" outcome.

Losing 45-10? No, I don't think Sparkles makes a 35 point difference. CSU lost to Air Force WITH MacElwain a few weeks prior.

So we can't talk about should/could have won multiple games that we didn't because that would be a "moral victory", but you can overlook the fact that CU was winning going into the 4th and, like a lot of games this year, just couldn't finish? Please be consistent.
I am being consistent. CSU started turning the tide with a goal line stop in the second quarter and got stronger as the game went along. Then absolutely demolished us in the 4th quarter. That's the other team whooping ass, not CU failing to finish. I sincerely hope you understand the difference.

There is a difference between that and "pretty much dominated from late second quarter on" as you posted.

1st Half:

• CU wins field position (H29 compared to V15)
  • CU wins 3rd down conversion rate (4/9 compared to 1/5)

3rd Quarter:
  • CU and CSU have same 3rd down conversion rate and field position (1/2 and 28yl)
  • CSU wins 4th down conversion rate (1/1 compared to 0/0)

4th Quarter:
  • CSU wins field position battle (V29 compared to H24)
  • CSU wins 3rd down conversion rate (3/4 compared to 0/4)

Looks like they dominated the 4th. Maybe the game started slipping away in the 2nd, but again that's different than dominating.

You are talking about the game this year. The thread is about program. 45-10 loss to the Utes puts it in perspective that CSU has not arrived as a big time, big brother program. They beat is this year. They get bragging rights for 1 year,but they are VERY FAR from being THE program in the state. It's still OUR state.

I find CSU fans to be truly annoying for the most part. You all can give them credit for their win this year, but I certainly don't respect them or their program. Why should we?

I am being consistent. CSU started turning the tide with a goal line stop in the second quarter and got stronger as the game went along. Then absolutely demolished us in the 4th quarter. That's the other team whooping ass, not CU failing to finish. I sincerely hope you understand the difference.

I don't understand why so many people on this site post a lot about a program they do not respect or do not care about.

Because we have given their small time program a stage. We really shouldn't even play them in sports. They define their seasons by playing us. If we cut that off, we can play real p5 schools. Then they would basically fade away.

I really doubt RG will tolerate the same BS from them as our previous AD did. Anyone else agree? I'd personally like to see the series end with CSU for a while. Let's play big 10 teams or some of our past opponents from the Big 8. We didn't play csu regularly when I was in college at CU and we didn't miss out on anything.

I don't understand why so many people on this site post a lot about a program they do not respect or do not care about.

There is a difference between that and "pretty much dominated from late second quarter on" as you posted.

1st Half:

• CU wins field position (H29 compared to V15)
  • CU wins 3rd down conversion rate (4/9 compared to 1/5)

3rd Quarter:
  • CU and CSU have same 3rd down conversion rate and field position (1/2 and 28yl)
  • CSU wins 4th down conversion rate (1/1 compared to 0/0)

4th Quarter:
  • CSU wins field position battle (V29 compared to H24)
  • CSU wins 3rd down conversion rate (3/4 compared to 0/4)

Looks like they dominated the 4th. Maybe the game started slipping away in the 2nd, but again that's different than dominating.

Seriously, stop trying to put lipstick on that pig. CSU kicked our ass. It doesn't matter at what point in the game they started kicking our ass. The fact remains that they kicked our ass. Just leave it at that. I'm pretty confident that we're going to return the favor this year. They lose a lot, and will be breaking in a new coach. All the stars are lining up for an epic beat-down of the goats THIS year. Last year, they beat the living tar out of us. Accept it and move on.

Because we have given their small time program a stage. We really shouldn't even play them in sports. They define their seasons by playing us. If we cut that off, we can play real p5 schools. Then they would basically fade away.

I really doubt RG will tolerate the same BS from them as our previous AD did. Anyone else agree? I'd personally like to see the series end with CSU for a while. Let's play big 10 teams or some of our past opponents from the Big 8. We didn't play csu regularly when I was in college at CU and we didn't miss out on anything.

That is terrible logic, what u basically said is just bc 2 teams are playing each other 1 is capable of rising to the others level. If that was the case then why hasn't UC risen to the level of Oregon/any other top P5 school. Bc you play those quality teams every year. Ending the series is just a cowards move. UC could easily still schedule an out of conference p5 opponent if they wanted just replace another G5 school besides CSU that you play every year anyways.

Seriously, stop trying to put lipstick on that pig. CSU kicked our ass. It doesn't matter at what point in the game they started kicking our ass. The fact remains that they kicked our ass. Just leave it at that. I'm pretty confident that we're going to return the favor this year. They lose a lot, and will be breaking in a new coach. All the stars are lining up for an epic beat-down of the goats THIS year. Last year, they beat the living tar out of us. Accept it and move on.
I did accept it, I disagreed with Duff's timeline. Ends up, the 4th quarter of the CSU game was similar to almost every other loss we incurred.

That is terrible logic, what u basically said is just bc 2 teams are playing each other 1 is capable of rising to the others level. If that was the case then why hasn't UC risen to the level of Oregon/any other top P5 school. Bc you play those quality teams every year. Ending the series is just a cowards move. UC could easily still schedule an out of conference p5 opponent if they wanted just replace another G5 school besides CSU that you play every year anyways.

Not as easily as you might thing. CU's got very little wiggle room with a 9-game conference schedule. Every other year, CU has only 4 home conference games. 6 are necessary for season ticket packages. With CSU being a neutral site game, that means in those years CU has to find 2 home dates in the 2 slots available. It's a challenge to fill that.

If CSU wants the RMS to continue, the simple solution is to agree to play at Folsom in the seasons when CU has 4 Pac-12 home games.

I did accept it, I disagreed with Duff's timeline. Ends up, the 4th quarter of the CSU game was similar to almost every other loss we incurred.
I am actually confused by this post. That 4th quarter was like most of our losses? Huh?

Momentum was lost when CU could not punch the ball in on the goal line and then later failed to convert in short yardage + missed the field goal. The score didn't flip until the 4th quarter, but everyone at the game could tell that there was no life from CU or its fans and that CSU was in control from the 2nd quarter on. The only way CU was going to hold on to its early lead and win would have been if the Buffs had gotten a turnover/return/long TD that flipped the script.

Momentum was lost when CU could not punch the ball in on the goal line and then later failed to convert in short yardage + missed the field goal. The score didn't flip until the 4th quarter, but everyone at the game could tell that there was no life from CU or its fans and that CSU was in control from the 2nd quarter on. The only way CU was going to hold on to its early lead and win would have been if the Buffs had gotten a turnover/return/long TD that flipped the script.

CU DID get a turnover in the third quarter and proceeded to do absolutly nothing with it. That was when I knew we were cooked.

Had the lead going into the 4th or couldn't close out the game
The whole point of my previous posts was it had nothing to do with us failing to close out the game. We got our asses kicked. There was not a sliver of doubt at the end of the game that CSU was clearly the better team. Pretty much nothing like most of our losses, unless you suddenly have changed your tune dramatically.

Losing 45-10? No, I don't think Sparkles makes a 35 point difference. CSU lost to Air Force WITH MacElwain a few weeks prior.

Whatever you say. Air Force was better than CU this year too so losing to them doesn't really prove anything.

All things were equal when we played them. Say what you will about their schedule versus ours, but we played them healthy and on a neutral field and they kicked our butts.
So, if we played UMass again, we'd be lucky to win?

I would like to think it would be a comfortable win, but we tend to really struggle on the road. We were not lucky to win the first time anyway.

At this point we need a little bit of luck to go our way for almost any win, particularly on the road. We escaped that UMASS game, but a win is a win just like a loss is a loss.

Back