What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Boise v Ducks

I'm with you on this, but there's a bit of me that says, 'damn, thats a rough punishment'.... I could see some anger mgt, and say 5 games... the whole season is really a big damn deal

I still see that with anger management classes, that he has a chance to get drafted. If not, he still can go in as a UFA and keep his nose clean and make a team. I think that by the coaches letting him practice with the team they are trying to give him a chance to prove he will not fight with other teammates and stay in football shape. It seems they are doing whats right by the school, and also trying to give him another chance at life, even if he can't play college level any longer. And of course, a chance to complete a degree.

that is a question, could he red-shirt?

He's a senior and he already played two seasons at a Community College.

August 18, 2008
Oregon running back LeGarrette Blount
BUZZ: The nation's top-rated junior college running back prospect needs to help ease the loss of Jonathan Stewart, the Ducks' leading rusher in '07 and a first-round NFL pick. Oregon ranked sixth in the nation in rushing offense last season and Blount will help keep the running game strong. He has good size (6-2/229), quick feet and great vision - which he used to accumulate 2,292 yards and 18 rushing touchdowns in two seasons at East Mississippi CC in Scooba, Miss.

He played two seasons CC + the fall of 2008 for Oregon.
This would have been his fourth year.

Assuming yesterday's game counts as a game (which it does), he used up a whole year of eligibility with the punch seen round the world.

Bull****. You dont get rewarded for playing a pussy schedule. You want to be taken seriously, schedule accordingly. Its not just the non BCS conferences, either. I dont like when the ACC or Big10 teams get hyped either, because they dont play the top caliber teams week in and week out that tougher conference teams do. I say throw out the conference tie ins and make SOS a bigger factor in determining who goes to the championship.

Well then the schools that can win the championship should NEVER be allowed to play schools that can't win the championship.

I wasn't justifying his actions or suggesting they were OK in any way.

In a reasonable world, there is lots of room for things in between black and white and just because someone makes a mistake - even a severe one - does not mean that they should literally have to hand over the rest of their life.

I would certainly not be in an enviable scenario if I received such harsh punishment for every mistake I've made. I don't think most people would.

Am I the only one that thinks it is ridiculous that the kid from Boise State didn't get suspended for at least 1 game?

I think he should have been suspended for a game. He shouldn't have acted in the manner in which he did.

I don't think that the consequence that came down on Blount was too much. I know it's a sport but you're still dealing with young men that are in a formative stage. They must learn that there can be serious consequences for their actions such as needlessly throwing a punch.

I think he should have been suspended for a game. He shouldn't have acted in the manner in which he did.

I don't think that the consequence that came down on Blount was too much. I know it's a sport but you're still dealing with young men that are in a formative stage. They must learn that there can be serious consequences for their actions such as needlessly throwing a punch.

I agree with Blount's punishment. No argument there. The Boise State player engaged Blount in a highly emotional state. Even Petersen said it takes two. So give the guy one game for unsportsmanlike behavior or conduct unbecoming of a Boise State Football player.

Act like you have been there before...

Am I the only one that thinks it is ridiculous that the kid from Boise State didn't get suspended for at least 1 game?
You are exactly right. The guy was asking to get punched. If Blount had left at that and not continued to go berserk, he would not have come out as badly. I don't feel sorry for that punk Blount either, though. But the BSU guy looked like a total jack ass and Petersen lost a lot of respect in my eyes.

I hope Diante's grandma is happy.

As for BSU's schedule. They should reinstitute SOS into the BCS equation. That would either force teams to schedule a bit tougher OOC or take into account whom they play.

You are exactly right. The guy was asking to get punched. If Blount had left at that and not continued to go berserk, he would not have come out as badly. I don't feel sorry for that punk Blount either, though. But the BSU guy looked like a total jack ass and Petersen lost a lot of respect in my eyes.

I hope Diante's grandma is happy.

Really?

I gain respect for Petersen every time I watch his team play and continue to win every year, regardless of whatever personnel changes they may endure.

Quite frankly, I would much rather have this guy running our program than the gentlemen in charge at the moment. I think it is pretty clear that he was the reason for BSU's successes.

As for BSU's schedule. They should reinstitute SOS into the BCS equation. That would either force teams to schedule a bit tougher OOC or take into account whom they play.

I believe that SOS is still taken into account in the computer rankings. It's margin of victory that they removed, which is also ridiculous.

Trash talking is part of football. Learning to let it slide off without losing your cool is classy football and smart football.

No way does anything the Boise player said entitle the Duck to take a swing.
Was the Boise player out of line? maybe.

Was anything he could possible say, starting with "your mama..." and working your way up to the worst insult you can imagine (your team's uniforms were designed by the Powder Puff girls) bad enough that another player gets to hit him?

No.

Really?

I gain respect for Petersen every time I watch his team play and continue to win every year, regardless of whatever personnel changes they may endure.

Quite frankly, I would much rather have this guy running our program than the gentlemen in charge at the moment. I think it is pretty clear that he was the reason for BSU's successes.

Or he inherited a team built by the guy responsible for the teams success. I think this year and next should show all of us how true this is. I think he is a good coach. I still like Hawk better. Not that my opinion means any more than yous. We will both have to wait and see. Hawk and Petersen was a better combo than hawk and Helfrich for sure-- lets see how the Hawk and Keisau combo works.

Or he inherited a team built by the guy responsible for the teams success. I think this year and next should show all of us how true this is. I think he is a good coach. I still like Hawk better. Not that my opinion means any more than yous. We will both have to wait and see. Hawk and Petersen was a better combo than hawk and Helfrich for sure-- lets see how the Hawk and Keisau combo works.

I fully concur! You really can't even compare the two, since their respective circumstances aren't even close to comparable: Apples to oranges!

Hawkins had to tear down the entire rotten and shaky infrastructure, essentially beginning from scratch to re-build the Buffs. Just remember he started with only six o-linemen ( in my, and many others' opinion, the heart, soul and anchor of a football team) in place and a couple of those were walk-ons!:wow:

Peterson, OTOH----to borrow a phrase from Isaac Newton----merely "stood on the shoulders of giants", (one of whom was his immediate predecessor Mr Hawkins), continuing the already firmly-established culture at BSU.

As far as I or anyone else here knows, Peterson had to do little or nothing to keep that BSU motor running! Would have loved to see Peterson at U of Washington , THEN a real comparison with Hawk could have been made.:thumbsup:

Trash talking is part of football. Learning to let it slide off without losing your cool is classy football and smart football.

No way does anything the Boise player said entitle the Duck to take a swing.
Was the Boise player out of line? maybe.

Was anything he could possible say, starting with "your mama..." and working your way up to the worst insult you can imagine (your team's uniforms were designed by the Powder Puff girls) bad enough that another player gets to hit him?

No.

Agreed.

And I don't think the punishment was severe enough! He should have lost his scholarship. He had his three strikes, 2 of which occurred in this game

1. Indefinite suspension during the offseason
2A. Offseason **** talking
2B. The Punch because someone clowned him on said **** talking
3. Loss of control with teammates and BSU fans on nat'l tv

Agreed.

And I don't think the punishment was severe enough! He should have lost his scholarship. He had his three strikes, 2 of which occurred in this game

If they would pull the academic scholarship, it's like they are trying to ruin his future instead of teach him a huge life lesson about consequences.

Whether he stays in school or not, losing football seems like a huge punishment for that kid. Giving him the opportunity to attend classes and maybe graduate is somewhere between tough love and additional punishment.

It will be interesting to see if he DOES stay in class.

Agreed.

Maybe, maybe not. Matter of opinion. The guy came across as a total gang banger the way he was backin' off pumping his arms and with his facial expression. Still, the BSU kid should be suspended for at least a game. IMO, two games. Not that it would matter to BSU with their pansy assed schedule.

If they would pull the academic scholarship, it's like they are trying to ruin his future instead of teach him a huge life lesson about consequences.

Whether he stays in school or not, losing football seems like a huge punishment for that kid. Giving him the opportunity to attend classes and maybe graduate is somewhere between tough love and additional punishment.

It will be interesting to see if he DOES stay in class.

Good point.

Maybe, maybe not. Matter of opinion. The guy came across as a total gang banger the way he was backin' off pumping his arms and with his facial expression. Still, the BSU kid should be suspended for at least a game. IMO, two games. Not that it would matter to BSU with their pansy assed schedule.

That's how gang bangers do? Tread carefully on that one.......

And BSU guy tapped him on the shoulder and said something regarding comments he had made during the offseason. Is it the fact that he tapped him on the shoulder pads? What if he would have just said good game after tapping him on the pads?

If Blount pushes him, gets, in his face, or even gives him a forearm to the chest...it's a dead issue. But he punched the main with his helmet off as he was being pulled away by the coaching staff.

I might make BSU guy run a little more during practice or remove him out of the starting lineup, but I'm not going to punish him because someone reacted the wrong way. **** talking is a common part of the sport...before, during, and after the game.

No reason to tread carefully. How about "thats what punks do?" That better? The BSU guy was a punk as well. Plus, it was a bit more than a tap on the shoulder pads, I thought. I may be wrong, but I don't think he said "good game."

And BSU guy tapped him on the shoulder and said something regarding comments he had made during the offseason. Is it the fact that he tapped him on the shoulder pads? What if he would have just said good game after tapping him on the pads?

If Blount pushes him, gets, in his face, or even gives him a forearm to the chest...it's a dead issue. But he punched the main with his helmet off as he was being pulled away by the coaching staff.

I might make BSU guy run a little more during practice or remove him out of the starting lineup, but I'm not going to punish him because someone reacted the wrong way. **** talking is a common part of the sport...before, during, and after the game.

OTOH, Blount can hit the weight room for the rest of the year, so he will be awesome in time for the NFL draft. :smile2:

OTOH, Blount can hit the weight room for the rest of the year, so he will be awesome in time for the NFL draft. :smile2:
I highly doubt a guy with so little self control has the discipline to challenge himself to work hard the whole season when he's not playing.

The guys contribution to football will be as a cautionary tale.

I highly doubt a guy with so little self control has the discipline to challenge himself to work hard the whole season when he's not playing.

The guys contribution to football will be as a cautionary tale.

OK, your memory my be going, so I will explain it to you...

Buffocrat was the one last year saying that we should lose the last game so that we would not be distracted by a bowl game and the team could spend that much more time in the wieght room preparing for this year. He has been missing for some time, so I had a little fun giving him some ****.:smile2:

OK, your memory my be going, so I will explain it to you...

Buffocrat was the one last year saying that we should lose the last game so that we would not be distracted by a bowl game and the team could spend that much more time in the wieght room preparing for this year. He has been missing for some time, so I had a little fun giving him some ****.:smile2:
Ahhh.... I remember the conversation but missed the reference. Please don't let my ineptitude get in the way of you giving him ****. Load him up!!!:thumbsup:

By the way, BlOUNT said he didn't hear anything. He felt a tap on the shoulder and saw that it was a BSU guy and went after him. He didn't hear anything.

Also, even when Hawk was at BSU many believe it was Petersen who was the mastermind behind it all.

There may be some truth to that. We will never really know. I think it's just been a system that has been in place for a very long time.

By the way, BlOUNT said he didn't hear anything. He felt a tap on the shoulder and saw that it was a BSU guy and went after him. He didn't hear anything.

Also, even when Hawk was at BSU many believe it was Petersen who was the mastermind behind it all.

There may be some truth to that. We will never really know. I think it's just been a system that has been in place for a very long time.

But we may have a good or better idea after 2010 if Hawkins can pull off the kind of team I think he's built.

Back