What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Boise v Ducks

TriCityBuff is spot on though. The reason BSU doesn't have the depth is because of the conference they recruit into. Put BSU in the Pac-10 and their recruiting WILL get better over time, and I would fully expect them to be competitive with the other schools in that conference as time went on.

Thats like saying if you put the Calgary Stampeders in the NFL, they could make the Super Bowl because they would have better resources. Being in the WAC helps BSU as much as it hinders them. If BSU started out in the PAC-10 would the be like USC, or more like Washington State?

We wouldn't compete at the top right now. It's possible but it would be very hard. Fatbuff you kind of contradicted yourself in your own post. You said if "BSU started out in the PAC-10".

The point the rest of us are trying to make is over time they would improve. Over time. Not now. Over time.

i can see your logic with the relative population bases in pullman and corvallis, but you might want to rethink the assertion that the relative population base in the stanford area is 13K....

While it's true that Stanford is part of the much larger Bay Area market area, it's also true that Stanford competes against Cal-Berkeley, San Jose State, the Raiders and the 49ers for football fans. It's a pretty saturated sports market. The appeal of Stanford isn't exactly blue collar, nor does the blue blood Stanford football program appeal broadly to the culture in the area.

If anything, the inclusion of Stanford is added to contridict Sacky's notion that Boise might need to add an other half million people to the area to be a legit Pac10 school.

Last edited by a moderator:
While it's true that Stanford is part of the much larger Bay Area market area, it's also true that Stanford competes against Cal-Berkeley, San Jose State, the Raiders and the 49ers for football fans. It's a pretty saturated sports market. The appeal of Stanford isn't exactly blue collar, nor does the blue blood Stanford football program appeal broadly to the culture in the area.

If anything, the inclusion of Stanford is added to contridict Sacky's notion that Boise might needs to add an other half million people to the area to be a legit Pac10 school.

gotcha...no argument on that point here...

We wouldn't compete at the top right now. It's possible but it would be very hard. Fatbuff you kind of contradicted yourself in your own post. You said if "BSU started out in the PAC-10".

The point the rest of us are trying to make is over time they would improve. Over time. Not now. Over time.

Fair enough, we are only judging this team, this year, with this schedule. Good luck overseas.

Glad to see the hammer come down on him. What he did was inexcusable.

Oregon did NCAA football a service. Now coaches across America can point to a simple 5 minute YouTube video of an out-of-control Blount and this punishment as a lesson of cause and effect.

Oregon did NCAA football a service. Now coaches across America can point to a simple 5 minute YouTube video of an out-of-control Blount and this punishment as a lesson of cause and effect.

wrecked his life in 5 minutes.

i read a column that said he was projected as a 2nd or 3rd rounder and he has now rendered himself undraftable.

bad, bad choice he made...

My point is- what distingishes BSU from any other mid level team in a BCS conference? Why would they excel where others dont?

Glad to see the hammer come down on him. What he did was inexcusable.

I'm with you on this, but there's a bit of me that says, 'damn, thats a rough punishment'.... I could see some anger mgt, and say 5 games... the whole season is really a big damn deal

I'm with you on this, but there's a bit of me that says, 'damn, thats a rough punishment'.... I could see some anger mgt, and say 5 games... the whole season is really a big damn deal

Well I think the big reason for the whole season was the fact he was suspended (I think) for a few practices earlier in the fall.

What we want to do is move to the MWC. BYU, Utah, TCU and BSU make for a pretty stong arguement of ousting the Big Least as the 6th BCS conference.

I agree.. The Mountain West should gobble up Boise State.. I think they should be a BCS league without them now and this will only further their case with a strong team like Boise State.

I don't think the Big East will ever lose their BCS standing though..

And I don't see the Pac 10 expanding.. I don't think they really want to or need to.

I think the full season is perhaps a bit much.

Anyone know if the kid will be able to play next year?

that is a question, could he red-shirt?
The Gameday crew said on Sportscenter that his college career is over. He's a senior, and I imagine since he's already played a game this year he can't redshirt.

i can see your logic with the relative population bases in pullman and corvallis, but you might want to rethink the assertion that the relative population base in the stanford area is 13K....

Corvallis is also part of a larger community. Wazzu just managed to be part of the deal with U-Dub, I guess. In fact, Wazzu probably already brings in the Idaho market.

My point is- what distingishes BSU from any other mid level team in a BCS conference? Why would they excel where others dont?

Have you seen what we do to our opponents the last decade. We don't have any real competition. We need to go up into a better conference. MWC is the likely move. Not that they are a whole lot better. Other than BYU, Utah and TCu the other teams in their conference aren't much. AF is on and off and the rest of them are bottom feeders.

The WAC has BSU, Fresno and Nevada and after that it is hit or miss. Hawaii is on and off and even lately Fresno is on and off.

Here is a question for some people. Again I'm not trying to complain or anything, just getting an idea of what your perceptions would be.

Assuming BSU got into the MWC and we play one or 2 BCS teams on top of our conference schedule does that make it any better for a NC run or not?

If not then there is no point in going to the MWC.

To me the sad thing is that every coach in the non-BCS has to get up and tell his team at the beginning of the season that they will NEVER win a national championship. It's absurd. What a terrible thing to have to say to your team.

On top of that you have to tell them that to even get in one of the specail bowl games they have to go undefeated. So to me going undefeated even on a "weaker" schedule is tougher than hell.

I think if the MWC were to add Boise, it would have to be considered a BCS conference with the automatic tie-ins and such.

Corvallis is also part of a larger community. Wazzu just managed to be part of the deal with U-Dub, I guess. In fact, Wazzu probably already brings in the Idaho market.

Pullman is pretty close to Moscow, ID, home of the University of Idaho and their D-1 Vandal football team. The two schools have a cross boarder rivalry. It's a stretch to make a metro-Pullman arguement that includes Idaho households. WSU isn't going to control the Idaho market any more than Pitt is going to control West Virgina.

I seriously doubt any of Idaho's population along I-84 or I-15 care much about Wazzou as that gets into Boise State Bronco and Idaho State territory.

Corvallis has a population of 51k and the Corvalis MSA is around 200,000. This is less than half the size of greater Boise.

The point is that Boise has as good a case for Pac 10 membership as both Wazzou and the OSU Beavers. Boise isn't going to displace USC atop the Pac 10 and should lose to the Trojans in 19 out of 20 matchups. But if Stanford can punk USC once in a blue moon, so could BSU. If BSU were in the Pac 10, their talent level and facilities would improve with BCS money and prestige, but it would be at the expense of their win-loss percentage. The big difference is that BSU would have a path to the mNC, which they don't have now.

BSU, Utah and TCU are all poster children for how college football championships are not determined using a level playing field.

Last edited by a moderator:
The simple reality is that college football is not in the "fair" business. This is not elementary school field day were everyone gets a ribbon. College football is a business and it is about the money. Boise does not and cannot bring the things that the PAC 10 or the Big XII want to justify expansion. Idaho has a population (2006) of about 1.466 million, Oregon's population is 3.701 million and Washington has 6.396 million. Now clearly both Washington State and Oregon split their fan base with other programs Idaho does also. One factor in the money issue is football attendance, not only seats sold but also revenue per seat, looking at the information I have found on the web BSU falls well short in this area of schools that are on the bottom of the PAC 10. A bigger issue is TV revenue, BSU is fun to watch but the viewing markets that they bring are a negative compared to any schools in the PAC 10.

As to deciding the champion on the field you have to pay to play. If you want to be considered for a championship bring the dollars to the table and play someone who matters. Boise's schedule is a joke, it is barely above a D-1aa (now FCS) schedule. If Iowa State played that schedule they would win at least 8-9 games, a couple lucky breaks (an Oregon team showing up with Heflich as OC to start) and they might go undefeated.

It is fun to play the David vs. Goliath card but fact is that if Boise or last years Utah or the other wannabe's had to play a Big XII schedule or an SEC schedule or even a Big X schedule they would get beat up by playing quality teams week after week. They don't have the depth and the quantity of talent to make it without without the pushover teams to give them them the chance to recover between games. Does this mean they wouldn't win a game, not even close, they might even end up in the upper half of the league occasionally but to handle the week after week grind they don't have it.

I know I'm a BCS snob, but I thought the big miscarriage of justice in last year's postseason was that Texas Tech couldn't play in a BCS bowl due to the 2-teams-max-per-conference rule.

wrecked his life in 5 minutes.

i read a column that said he was projected as a 2nd or 3rd rounder and he has now rendered himself undraftable.

bad, bad choice he made...

Really? Undraftable? After Pacman Jones, Michael Vick, etc.? I think anything is possible.

I'm not saying BSU doesn't play an easier schedule. You guys do realize that if BSU was in a bigger conference we would just get more money and our recruiting would be better and we would have the depth.

If you take this BSU team and stick us in the PAC-10 or whatever are we going to win the conference? Probably not. You never know but I'm no so homerish to say we would dominate either. But given TIME to beef up the program we would be competative.

I don't understand how people can just rip on a program like BSU's. It's not their fault. You play with what you are dealt with. It's all good.

Well I just found out our brigade has been alerted for deployment so I gotta jet and see what's going on.

I do not buy the argument that association with a better conference would translate into instant better recruiting for BSU. All you have to do is look at ANY power conference and ask yourself, "Does every school roll in the talent?"

How has it panned out for Baylor? Iowa State? Indiana? Oregon State? Vandy? Are their rosters chock full with 5-star talent?

An increased physical game may be more than you want. You know what they say, "Be careful what you wish for..." NOW you can play the banter game. You may not like what happens when you have to front that level week in and week out.

I think the best idea is for the MWC and the WAC to get together and play rock paper scissors for who gets the power teams and who gets everyone else. Perhaps an argument for a BCS bid can be had then.

I think the full season is perhaps a bit much.

Anyone know if the kid will be able to play next year?
Are you kidding, the freak is nuts, look at the entire clip of the incident, Blount punches one of his own teammates, and then goes after some fans. That's 3 felony counts of assault in the "real world". Anybody that's played high school or college football has had to put up with some punk trying to push your button. He's _ucking lucky as hell he can still finish his education. His dumb ass would be in a jail cell if that didn't happen on a football field. Chalk up another ruined life to the influence of "gansta cool" - " I'm a bad _other _ucker" - no your'e a stupid _other _ucker.

Last edited:
I know I'm a BCS snob, but I thought the big miscarriage of justice in last year's postseason was that Texas Tech couldn't play in a BCS bowl due to the 2-teams-max-per-conference rule.

I agree, as the BCS bowls should be reserved for the 10 best teams in the country, period. Texas Tech's failure to show up in their own bowl game made me feel less disappointed that they missed out.

The Gameday crew said on Sportscenter that his college career is over. He's a senior, and I imagine since he's already played a game this year he can't redshirt.

I think he transferred into Oregon so I am guessing he already had to sit a year.

The Cotton Bowl might argue that Ole Miss was the one that really got screwed by not being in the BCS....

Back