What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Breaking: Joe Tumpkin out at CU (update - resigned)

Even if that is true, that does not mean the men are "totally vindicated."

Well 3 in 4 true instances of domestic violence aren't reported at all...so the men aren't vindicated. ...but there apparently are a lot of cases where there was a fight, and emotions got high, but there was no real violence.

Well 3 in 4 true instances of domestic violence aren't reported at all...so the men aren't vindicated. ...but there apparently are a lot of cases where there was a fight, and emotions got high, but there was no real violence.

Huh? You are reaching some very definitive conclusions based entirely on raw numbers (that you may be misrepresenting for all I know).

About a third of domestic violence cases have their charges dropped because either the 'victim' recants or because the DA doesn't think there is a case.

There are certainly cases when it turns out that the initial report was not true.

There are also a lot of cases included in your third where the violence did happen but the DA doesn't have a case because the victim is afraid to testify or otherwise decides not to cooperate knowing that the abuser is going to face legal consequences.

I very much doubt that this decision was made without RG and the legal staff looking at the information available and allowing Tumpkin to present his side of what happened. Hard to believe he is the victim here.

Abuse is something that occurs over time, and episodes of violence are just part of the overall cycle of control. Most of the time, when a victim recants, it is because they are still under the control of their attacker.
Yep and it usually escalates from there. A former friend of mine ended up killing his wife eventually. We knew he was doing stuff to her, makeup didn't always work. She was told to leave him, now she's 6 feet deep. We all talked to him about it but no dice. To add, I don't know what Tumpkin did. I'm pretty sure he did something wrong though.

Here's that CU announcement:

BOULDER – University of Colorado Athletics Director Rick George announced today that assistant football coach Joe Tumpkin has submitted his resignation, effective Jan. 31, after being asked to do so by CU Athletics.

Tumpkin, 45, had been with the team since early 2015 as the safeties coach. On Jan. 6, 2017, George and Coach Mike MacIntyre learned that a judge had issued a temporary restraining order against Tumpkin at the request of his ex-girlfriend. George and MacIntyre immediately placed Tumpkin on administrative leave from the coaching staff and CU Boulder.

“Joe is currently defending himself against allegations made in court records that do not represent our values,” George said. “Furthermore, we need to move forward to ensure we do not have gaps in our coaching staff as we build the team and sign new recruits.”
In consideration for his resignation, Tumpkin will receive two months of severance pay, which equals $34,000.

As is standard practice for all employees who leave the university, he will receive a payout for unused vacation time totaling $29,607. His final paycheck will also include the one-time payment of $15,692, which is consistent with other coaching staff under the campus’ Postseason Compensation Policy related to bowl game appearances.

MacIntyre is moving quickly to hire a new assistant coach as the football team prepares for the start of spring practices on Feb. 22, followed by the March 18 Spring Game.

Yep and it usually escalates from there. A former friend of mine ended up killing his wife eventually. We knew he was doing stuff to her, makeup didn't always work. She was told to leave him, now she's 6 feet deep. We all talked to him about it but no dice. To add, I don't know what Tumpkin did. I'm pretty sure he did something wrong though.
giphy.gif

Thanks for your good work here Joe. I believe we all hope and pray that when you get past this chapter you can move forward again. Good luck.

I don't want it to sound like this wouldn't be the proper outcome anywhere, but with some of the, um, issues we've had in the past, this was the only move that could be made. It sends the right message to the university students and employees that CU Athletics will not stand for domestic abuse or violence in any way.

I don't want it to sound like this wouldn't be the proper outcome anywhere, but with some of the, um, issues we've had in the past, this was the only move that could be made. It sends the right message to the university students and employees that CU Athletics will not stand for domestic abuse or violence in any way.

Totally. CU shouldn't stand for this regardless, but our history puts extra scrutiny on this type of thing.

Not a bad move releasing this on a Friday- the day that news dies

Two initial thoughts here. One, I cant say Im shocked by this outcome, this is for the best. My thoughts are with the victim here. I think we should thank Joe for the job he did here, and hope he gets whatever help he needs to make sure this doesn't happen again.

If you ever want to be entertained, go take a look at the Colorado State Forum. First off, nothing like ours. It's hard to follow the threads and maneuver around within the site. I only go on it because one of my best friends is a Lamb and I like to get insight into Lamb's heads from time-to-time about football.

Anyways, the newest thread on the site, discusses if Tumpkin could be a candidate to join the CSU staff. I understand that we have been down for the last 10 years, but it's laughable how they think they are on the same level as us.

http://chat.coloradostate.sportswar.com/mid/8467489/board/ramnationathletics/

If you ever want to be entertained, go take a look at the Colorado State Forum. First off, nothing like ours. It's hard to follow the threads and maneuver around within the site. I only go on it because one of my best friends is a Lamb and I like to get insight into Lamb's heads from time-to-time about football.

Anyways, the newest thread on the site, discusses if Tumpkin could be a candidate to join the CSU staff. I understand that we have been down for the last 10 years, but it's laughable how they think they are on the same level as us.

http://chat.coloradostate.sportswar.com/mid/8467489/board/ramnationathletics/
I actually think it shows how much our program has separated from theirs that they would be eager to hire a guy with these issues hanging over his head and who we just dropped.

Considering the compromises they have been willing to make in an attempt to stay competitive hiring a guy like Tumpkins with this hanging over his head would be no surprise.

Consider they hired Eustacy to coach their BB program, they think Joey Porter is a great guy, they had a lot of upset fans when Frostee Rucker got kicked out for a sexual offense, had fans upset when three players were expelled for beating up a freshman student (and some of his friends) while hurling homophobic slurs at him.

They just got another hit today. http://www.coloradoan.com/story/spo...all-player-arrested-alleged-assault/97154816/

I do hope that Tumpkin can get some counseling and get his act together so that he never repeats this kind of incident. If he does I hope he can find future success in his coaching career as well.

Meanwhile I want CU to win as much as possible but if letting go of a coach for something like this cost us a recruit or even a game I'd still prefer it to knowingly keeping somebody who would do that to a woman on staff.

This has gone national on msn.com via AP. Not expecting good press to follow...
Considering the compromises they have been willing to make in an attempt to stay competitive hiring a guy like Tumpkins with this hanging over his head would be no surprise.

Consider they hired Eustacy to coach their BB program, they think Joey Porter is a great guy, they had a lot of upset fans when Frostee Rucker got kicked out for a sexual offense, had fans upset when three players were expelled for beating up a freshman student (and some of his friends) while hurling homophobic slurs at him.

They just got another hit today. http://www.coloradoan.com/story/spo...all-player-arrested-alleged-assault/97154816/

I do hope that Tumpkin can get some counseling and get his act together so that he never repeats this kind of incident. If he does I hope he can find future success in his coaching career as well.

Meanwhile I want CU to win as much as possible but if letting go of a coach for something like this cost us a recruit or even a game I'd still prefer it to knowingly keeping somebody who would do that to a woman on staff.[/QUOTE

About a third of domestic violence cases have their charges dropped because either the 'victim' recants or because the DA doesn't think there is a case.
So, if we assume all of those are 100% false accusations (very poor assumption); you're still looking at 2/3rds being valid.

Victims often recant out of some sort of ****ed up compassion towards their abusers.

D.A.'s drop cases because they aren't legally viable. There's a lot of room between "probably did it" and "beyond a reasonable doubt" at least some of those cases that are dropped are certainly cases where the accused is actually guilty.

Back