What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Breaking: Joe Tumpkin out at CU (update - resigned)

I think the point for the CU AD wasn't whether or not he is guilty or found not guilty, it is his behavior that got him into the situation in the first place, including drinking the night before a game, allegedly. So even if the charges are dropped, CU's reasons for forcing him out still remain.

A lot of coaches drink the night before a game, there's a lot of pressure in this job and I think people would be surprised how common it is.

If you're drinking to relieve pressure or escape from it, you're heading down a dangerous path.

Jesus Christ, these guys work no. Stop hours, if the guy wants to have some drinks on a Friday night it's no big deal. Now, if drinking gets you in trouble with domestic violence then that is another issue but sitting here and saying oh god how could a coach drink the night before a game reminds me a lot of the stupid argument of players partying during the football season, it happens.

I don't care he drank a night before a game. Hell, I did before and after. I didn't beat up a chick after though. That's the biggest issue to me. I don't know the guy so I couldn't say how much the alcohol played a part. If it does, then absolutely he needs to get help. Hope he figures it out. The incident itself, I have no idea if it even occurred or not. Something did but, what that was, who knows?

So what does he do now?

Guy is a football coach. It's what he does. Is it now impossible for him to find employment as a football coach?

I'm not asking this in an attempt to excuse his actions. There isn't an excuse for what he's accused of. But the guy still has to make a living somehow. Does he enter some kind of anger management program and try to resurrect his image?

So what does he do now?

Guy is a football coach. It's what he does. Is it now impossible for him to find employment as a football coach?

I'm not asking this in an attempt to excuse his actions. There isn't an excuse for what he's accused of. But the guy still has to make a living somehow. Does he enter some kind of anger management program and try to resurrect his image?
I'd say do everything you mentioned or he's in deep **** as far as coaching anymore. He's gotta earn his way back no matter if it's overblown, it's out there now.

A lot of coaches drink the night before a game, there's a lot of pressure in this job and I think people would be surprised how common it is.
There is a difference between having a few drinks on a Friday night while relaxing at home or doing some film prep, and getting routinely drunk to the point of having anger and DV issues. Don't excuse his drinking and resulting actions because of the stress of the job, and stop qualifying it by saying how common it is among coaches.

There is a difference between having a few drinks on a Friday night while relaxing at home or doing some film prep, and getting routinely drunk to the point of having anger and DV issues. Don't excuse his drinking and resulting actions because of the stress of the job, and stop qualifying it by saying how common it is among coaches.
it is very common among coaches, it is actually very common among all pressure filled jobs, if you want to act ignorant about it go ahead. It's no different than a to. If high level execs out there too.

Btw I'm not talking about high school football coaches here, so I will go right ahead and qualify it.

Alcohol changes people differently. My brother is al alcoholic, he is 6'4, 200 pounds and goes completely wacko after 2 beers. Some people are just ****ed up in the head and alcohol brings it out in them, it's not about the quantity they drink, or where they drink.

Players and coaches can drink the night after the game. If they're doing it the night before, it's a problem. Any idot knows that a hangover isn't recommended if you want to perform at your best. To me, that alone was reason enough to terminate Tumpkin if it was going on. And that's the least of the allegations he failed to contest.

Players and coaches can drink the night after the game. If they're doing it the night before, it's a problem. Any idot knows that a hangover isn't recommended if you want to perform at your best. To me, that alone was reason enough to terminate Tumpkin if it was going on. And that's the least of the allegations he failed to contest.
I can see that angle too.

it is very common among coaches, it is actually very common among all pressure filled jobs, if you want to act ignorant about it go ahead. It's no different than a to. If high level execs out there too.

Btw I'm not talking about high school football coaches here, so I will go right ahead and qualify it.

Alcohol changes people differently. My brother is al alcoholic, he is 6'4, 200 pounds and goes completely wacko after 2 beers. Some people are just ****ed up in the head and alcohol brings it out in them, it's not about the quantity they drink, or where they drink.
I don't know you personally, so it's impossible for me to be 100% confident in asking how you know getting drunk is "very common" among coaches, but how do you know this? You can call me ignorant but as I said, a few drinks are one thing; getting ****faced is something completely different. The Steve Sarkisians of the world are not the norm and it's kind of weird that you are trying to say that it is.

Do we know he was drinking that much? If he's coming to work hungover that's a problem, but if the guy is having a beer or two with dinner the night before a game I hope that's not a fireable offense. He's an adult, it's not illegal, so unless it's affecting his performance at work it should be no one's business but his own.

I say this without knowing whether the drinking is related to the DV allegation. Was the drinking triggering his alleged abusive behavior or was it unrelated and he would become violent even when sober?

Lol there is a pretty clear difference between a player drinking the night before a game and a coach. And not everyone who drinks is completely hungover and dead the next day. Tons of people do it on the regular.

Lol there is a pretty clear difference between a player drinking the night before a game and a coach. And not everyone who drinks is completely hungover and dead the next day. Tons of people do it on the regular.

You mean alcoholics. Nothing wrong with a staff of functioning alcoholics in your mind?

I don't know you personally, so it's impossible for me to be 100% confident in asking how you know getting drunk is "very common" among coaches, but how do you know this? You can call me ignorant but as I said, a few drinks are one thing; getting ****faced is something completely different. The Steve Sarkisians of the world are not the norm and it's kind of weird that you are trying to say that it is.
Well let's just say I live 5 minutes from dove valley lol. Also my two uncles and my mom all went to unc and some of the stories about the Broncos players and coaches up in Greeley for training camp would put it all in perspective, elway and his lineman in particular. Also a couple former players that have been family friends for a long time.

No not alcoholics, tons of highly successful, productive and highly paid individuals drink on "work nights".

I'm talking about drinking to the point of drunkenness. Not talking about a cocktail or two.

Well let's just say I live 5 minutes from dove valley lol. Also my two uncles and my mom all went to unc and some of the stories about the Broncos players and coaches up in Greeley for training camp would put it all in perspective, elway and his lineman in particular. Also a couple former players that have been family friends for a long time.
Training Camp was notoriously a party for many Broncos people in greely. Times have changed

Training Camp was notoriously a party for many Broncos people in greely. Times have changed

And we're talking training camp.

Night before games, a lot of guys will hang out having nursing a couple drinks and some might smoke some weed. It's good to relax and get a good night's sleep. But anyone who is drinking to get drunk the night before a game has a problem.

I'm talking about drinking to the point of drunkenness. Not talking about a cocktail or two.
Yeah there are plenty of people who get drunk and are perfectly fine the next day. Also it's alarming how many people and especially younger people are on adderal now making hangovers a thing of the past.

Yeah there are plenty of people who get drunk and are perfectly fine the next day. Also it's alarming how many people and especially younger people are on adderal now making hangovers a thing of the past.

We're going to have to disagree and leave it at that if you believe that drinking to excess is ok when you have to perform at your best the next day.

And we're talking training camp.

Night before games, a lot of guys will hang out having nursing a couple drinks and some might smoke some weed. It's good to relax and get a good night's sleep. But anyone who is drinking to get drunk the night before a game has a problem.
Once again I think you would be surprised. A buddy of mine was a bartender at McCormick downtown and in lebrons second season with the heat him, d wade and bosh were completely shirfaced the night before the game. Lebrun dropped 40 the next night.

So, if we assume all of those are 100% false accusations (very poor assumption); you're still looking at 2/3rds being valid.

Victims often recant out of some sort of ****ed up compassion towards their abusers.

D.A.'s drop cases because they aren't legally viable. There's a lot of room between "probably did it" and "beyond a reasonable doubt" at least some of those cases that are dropped are certainly cases where the accused is actually guilty.

Never expected to launch this armchair psuedo-victims rights sub-thread. Don't really have a dog in this fight, except as it concerns to Tumpkin. I got my data from a Psychology Today survey.

DA and sexual assault are both a big problem, no doubt. Happens a lot without anybody calling the police. But a la Duke lacrosse, not every charge sticks. Don't know the first thing about the Tumpkin case. Maybe he is guilty as hell and then I hope they throw the book at him. Maybe he is innocent and that sucks for him....which is all I said in my OP. Maybe his case is dropped and we never know.

So what does he do now?

Lot of coaches out there working with negative marks on their records. He's a good coach, he will get a job.

The level of that job though is going to be a huge come down for him. Coaching jobs are often filled through that giant network that coaches keep up. Somebody who is a friend of his will know somebody at a D2 school or and FCS school who is willing to take a chance on a guy like this hoping to get the coach who can win them some games.

At a lot of these places the public doesn't even know who the assistant coaches are outside of what the school feeds the local media. These schools don't have fan sites on the web or other places where his background would be brought up and criticized. He will be able to be fairly anonymous, but his pay will be a lot less as well.

I hate what he is accused of doing but there are a lot of guys in the business who have done the same or worse. In time if he pays his dues he will get a shot at the P5 level again.

Wherever he goes though he will be on a much shorter leash. Another incident and he could find it very hard to continue in the coaching profession with any hope of being at a high level school.

Once again I think you would be surprised. A buddy of mine was a bartender at McCormick downtown and in lebrons second season with the heat him, d wade and bosh were completely shirfaced the night before the game. Lebrun dropped 40 the next night.
And Jose Fernandez was **** faced at 3am the morning of the day he was to pitch and he's dead.

Back