What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coaching carousel...

Seattle doesn't have a better AD and they don't have a better home field advantage. We got a loud stadium AND the ALTITUDE.

Seattle has gray foggy rainy crappy weather for 9 months. yippee.

Seattle doesn't have a better AD and they don't have a better home field advantage. We got a loud stadium AND the ALTITUDE.

When I said AD I should have spelled out Athletic Department, which has a larger budget, more sports, a season ticket fan base of near 50K and no outstanding loans, debts, shortfalls. As for the home field thing your right about the altitude but Huskey stadium seats near 20K more than Folsom, and is notoriously load. The weather though is teh sux.

Chris Peterson of Boise St. talking Miss St., I don't se hinm fitting in there, we'll see.

Sacky with all due respect you dont know what you are talking about with UW, they have sucked since skippy left but that has nothing to do with structural reasons and everything to do with ****ty coaching choices:

These are the advantages they enjoy over Colorado, And for that matter many Pac-10 schools:
-Their alumni support exceeds ours.
-Their AD even in these tough times is sufficient.
-Their attendance and stadium capacity still exceeds not only our but most in the Pac-10 even though they are horrible.
-They have state support, the state of Washington is seriously considering giving/loaning them 150million in matching funds to help renovate huskey stadium in the spring.
-They are willing/able to pay more than we are for a coach, they dont have the state meddling in assistants pay.
-Washington has the 13th largest population base and a decent amount of home grown talent, that even today (Jake locker) is staying home.
-genuine home field advantage, when that stadium is full its the second toughest place to play in the pac-10.

Sakesian was a total cop-out and a third terrible choice, it should have been: Peterson, Kelly, Paterson, Tubberville, you name it on that list. Some one with head coaching experience who had won and done so convincingly at another program. **** Norm Chow would have been a Better Choice than Sark.

I might disagree with a few points you make, but for the most part, I'll agree that UW's problems are not systemic. However, they've sunk so far, IMO, that it will take a long, long time, even with the right coach, for them to dig out of it. That's been my point all along, that the hole there is simply too deep for any kind of quick fix. Established coaches aren't going to want to go into such a terrible situation. They're going to want to go into a situation where there is some talent in the cupboard.

sacky ... as we´re at it .... now that kiffin has been named the new vols hc, do you still think kiffin´s decision to take the raiders job didnt help his career?

Kiffin's decision most certainly helped his college coaching aspirations. I think he may have had a tough time getting another NFL head coaching position, though. If it was his goal to use the Raiduhs job as a stepping stone to an elite D-1 coaching job, then it's difficult to argue the logic.

Meh, I think most college coaches are best staying in college. Why go to the NFL? Elite institutions pay their coaches a ton of money, often more money than NFL teams will pay outside of a few exceptions.

They have total control of the programs. They are the GM, the scout, and the coach. They freedom to implement schemes and systems that work in college, but don't work in the NFL. They get to live in, IMO, generally nicer towns. The fanbases they deal with tend to be a bit more educated and reasonable.

They also get to deal with players who, I would imagine, aren't spoiled primadonnas because they are college kids rather than multi-millionaires - generally.

I also think it's a bit odd that Kiffin was fired so soon after taking that job. WTF does Al Davis want a coach to do with that POS team that has been assembled? That team has very few good players outside of that CB who is just dominant.

Meh, I think most college coaches are best staying in college. Why go to the NFL? Elite institutions pay their coaches a ton of money, often more money than NFL teams will pay outside of a few exceptions.

They have total control of the programs. They are the GM, the scout, and the coach. They freedom to implement schemes and systems that work in college, but don't work in the NFL. They get to live in, IMO, generally nicer towns. The fanbases they deal with tend to be a bit more educated and reasonable. They also get to deal with players who, I would imagine, aren't spoiled primadonnas because they are college kids rather than multi-millionaires - generally.

I also think it's a bit odd that Kiffin was fired so soon after taking that job. WTF does Al Davis want a coach to do with that POS team that has been assembled? That team has very few good players outside of that CB who is just dominant.

You lost me with this one. College fanbases are generally made up of a bunch of rambling, delusional, irrational windbags.

Meh, I suppose it's relative to perspective.

The NFL games I've been to - not very many, admittedly - tend to be populated by a healthy amount of a certain sort of ... interesting individual.

I don't know how good Sark will be, but I believe UW went with him because he is USC strongest recruiter outside of HCPC. To get back to the top they need to recruit good talent. You can win games alone with good talent and bad coaching. To do so they need to keep talent inside the borders (sound familiar?) and then start looking around.

Washington has some pretty good talent, but if they leave for UO, USC or other programs then they can never get back to respectability. If he recruits well, but sucks coaching then in 4 years the new HC will be better off than Sark will be now. Right now, UW has serious depth problems I'd imagine (especially at QB..OUCH).

They have total control of the programs. They are the GM, the scout, and the coach. They freedom to implement schemes and systems that work in college, but don't work in the NFL. They get to live in, IMO, generally nicer towns. The fanbases they deal with tend to be a bit more educated and reasonable.

They also get to deal with players who, I would imagine, aren't spoiled primadonnas because they are college kids rather than multi-millionaires - generally.

Because the hours for NFL coaches are a lot friendlier. Pay at the assistant and position level is also probably much better. They don't have to go straight into recruiting once the season ends. Preparing for the draft is about it. The hours in the summer and during the season are about the same. It's more about skill and drive and maturity then it is with a college player.

:confused: Husky Stadium is waaayyyy louder than Folsom with about 20,000 more seats. Most of the bleachers and the overhangs are steel which echo when it really gets rocking. I was there when NU played the in 97. Both teams were in the top 10 and it was LOUD, way louder than I've ever heard Folsom. As far as the altitude, it may help in a long, close game, but it's the same for both teams in the kicking game.

You recruit during the foot ball season as well as travel, go to games, and hold practices. No recruiting in the NFL.

In college your off from Feb to April. In the NFL your off from Dec or Jan until April.

Buff That esplained it this way to me since he had some connections to the coaching ranks.

You recruit during the foot ball season as well as travel, go to games, and hold practices. No recruiting in the NFL.

In college your off from Feb to April. In the NFL your off from Dec or Jan until April.

Buff That esplained it this way to me since he had some connections to the coaching ranks.

Realistically, you're not off from January until April in the NFL. You might have some down time, but you're preparing for the draft in that timeframe. Both college and pro football have huge time commitments. You don't get into pro football for better working hours (they don't exist; in fact, you might work more hours during the season in the NFL). You do it because you generally will make more money and it is reaching the pinnacle of the sport.

Sarkisian's legacy will be based on two recruits.

Jake Heaps (QB Skyline '10). #1 overall '10 recruit on some boards

Kasen Williams (WR Skyline '11) #1 WR recruit

Watch them at 8:30 tonight if you want for the Washington State High School Championship Channel 687 Directv.

If Sarkisian lands them he'll do okay.

If he misses he'll be gone in four years.

Sarkisian's legacy will be based on two recruits.

Jake Heaps (QB Skyline '10). #1 overall '10 recruit on some boards

Kasen Williams (WR Skyline '11) #1 WR recruit

Watch them at 8:30 tonight if you want for the Washington State High School Championship Channel 687 Directv.

If Sarkisian lands them he'll do okay.

If he misses he'll be gone in four years.

Heaps is a stud. Definite five-star prospect that Washington needs to stay home.

Does anybody know if Chuck Neinas was involved in any of the coaching decisions?

I get the feeling he's gone.

I get that feeling too....

I figured UW was where he'd bolt to, but Ariz. might be a possibility if Stoops lite gets the heave ho. It would be a better choice in some ways because Arizona has better athletes right now.

I get that feeling too....

I figured UW was where he'd bolt to, but Ariz. might be a possibility if Stoops lite gets the heave ho. It would be a better choice in some ways because Arizona has better athletes right now.

If AZ was going to fire Stoops, they would have done it already. The time to do that is right after the end of the season.

If AZ was going to fire Stoops, they would have done it already. The time to do that is right after the end of the season.

Uh, they play ASU today, so I'll take seasons that are not over for $500 Alex....

Uh, they play ASU today, so I'll take seasons that are not over for $500 Alex....

I'll take famous titties for $1,000 Trebek...

DOLLY PARTON...

Buck futter!!!!!

Point taken. I figured if CU's season was over, so was everybody else's.

I'll take famous titties for $1,000 Trebek...

DOLLY PARTON...

Buck futter!!!!!

Point taken. I figured if CU's season was over, so was everybody else's.

:lol: That Jeopardy skit on SNL always cracked me up....

I'll take The Rapists for $500, Alex.

That's Therapists, Mr. Connery....:smile2:

This just makes no sense at all. Why the HELL would you leave a program that you have brought to the top 10 for the WORST team in D1? I don't care how much money they're throwing at him, not worth it.

The Puget Sound makes a great place to harbor your Pirate Ship. Leach could sail right up to the stadium. Arrrrrrgh!

Back