What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coaching carousel...

I looked at Rivals team recriting rankings back all the way to 02, and Leach has had only 1 top 25 class, they were ranked 25th in 06. Prior to Leach, I don't recall Spike Dykes having great recruiting classes either, so I would speculate that it is not that Leach is a poor recruiter.

UW has only had 2 top 25 classes under Willingham, which was last year's at 24 and 19th in 04. However, under Neuheisel they had top 25 classes going back through 02 (which is as far back as rivals records on their website). If they are winning, UW can attract better talent than Tech.

Washington has won 15 Pac 10 championships, 7 Rose Bowls, and four national championships. They have the 17th ranked all-time winning percentage in the NCAA.

Tech has won 2 conference championships, both in the SWC, in 76 and 94.

You're talking history, which as I said is all well and good, but doesn't mean squat today. I wouldn't argue that UW has better history than Tech does. But to put in another way, would you rather coach at Army or Virginia Tech? Who has more national championships? Notre Dame has more national championships than Florida has, but Urban Meyer chose Florida. Going forward, Tech has a better chance to be competitive, on an ongoing basis, than Washington does. That's not to say the job at UW is a no-hoper, but I think it's regressed to the point where they have to look at hiring a HC from a D-2 or D1-AA school to try to rebuild. They can't go after an established D-1 coach. JMHO.

You're talking history, which as I said is all well and good, but doesn't mean squat today. I wouldn't argue that UW has better history than Tech does. But to put in another way, would you rather coach at Army or Virginia Tech? Who has more national championships? Notre Dame has more national championships than Florida has, but Urban Meyer chose Florida. Going forward, Tech has a better chance to be competitive, on an ongoing basis, than Washington does. That's not to say the job at UW is a no-hoper, but I think it's regressed to the point where they have to look at hiring a HC from a D-2 or D1-AA school to try to rebuild. They can't go after an established D-1 coach. JMHO.

Army's last MNC was during WWII, and given they can't compete with other NCAA schools in numerous ways, not a good comparison.

I don't believe Kelly was actually offered this job and turned it down, more likely he is feigning no interest to save face. I will bet you all my Vbucks that UW is able to get an established D1 coach or even maybe a former pro coach. I would be absolutely shocked if they were to settle on a D-2 or D1-AA coach.

I think UW is a very good D-1 job, if they finally make the right hire, and not another Skippy or Ty. I think it is a very bad D-1 job for Mike Leach. That guy is not going to fit in at all in Seattle. Somebody like Lane Kiffin would have been a far more comfortable fit at UW, but that program isn't in a place to compete with a traditional SEC power like UT at this point...

If Auburn were rumored to be looking at him, that would make far more sense, in my opinion... :huh:

I think UW is a very good D-1 job, if they finally make the right hire, and not another Skippy or Ty. I think it is a very bad D-1 job for Mike Leach. That guy is not going to fit in at all in Seattle. Somebody like Lane Kiffin would have been a far more comfortable fit at UW, but that program isn't in a place to compete with a traditional SEC power like UT at this point...

If Auburn were rumored to be looking at him, that would make far more sense, in my opinion... :huh:

I'd say they need someone young, patient, and decisive. Someone who can recruit and who will be given the time a la Hawkins to put their house back in order. I'd guess it will be a head coach from a mid major like Peterson at BSU or Turner Gill from Buffalo or Skip Holtz from ECU. Another channel is an assistant at a major program like Venebales or Muschamp or....

Ooops. And on that note look who was in Seattle on Friday; Sources: USC offensive coordinator Sarkisian interviews for Washington head coaching position

Reported in another thread, but just for the hell of it, Tuberville out, Aub looking at Leach....

Sarkisian would be an awesome hire for UW. Perfect fit, IMO. He wouldn't have a ton of expectations loaded on him from the get-go, but would have the recruiting connections to start re-stocking the shelves in Seattle.
is he all that good at what he does tho? For all that talent UCS's offense hasn't really set the world on fire...

This is disturbing...Al Borges, former AU OC, is a candidate at ISU for the OC job.

Pat Hill withdraws from UW job, probably told he's fifth on the list, Husky fans collectively give a sigh of relief....

This ups the likelihood Pirate Mike will set sail to the Pacific NW....

EDIT: Pirate Mike withdraws from UW search. Interesting....

Pirate Mike must have either, gotten wind of another gig (Auburn?) or gotten some more TT booty. (pun intended).

Who the heck is UW going to hire? Peterson? Patterson? Tommy Bowden? Kyle Whittingham? Jim Mora? Craig T. Nelson? What a weird search they have going up in Huskyville...

Last edited:
Pat Hill withdraws from UW job, probably told he's fifth on the list, Husky fans collectively give a sigh of relief....

This ups the likelihood Pirate Mike will set sail to the Pacific NW....

EDIT: Pirate Mike withdraws from UW search. Interesting....

Pirate Mike must have either, gotten wind of another gig (Auburn?) or gotten some more TT booty. (pun intended).

Who the heck is UW going to hire? Peterson? Patterson? Tommy Bowden? Kyle Whittingham? Jim Mora? Craig T. Nelson? What a weird search they have going up in Huskyville...

My initial thoughts to the UW situation were that they should go to Peterson and just ask him how much, sign the check, done. Who in the northwest wouldn't want that job? From afar that seems like such a good gig, as I have memories of them being step for step with us in the early and mid 90's. But it appears the rise of SC, Cal and even Oregon has put UW in a bind. It seems like they have plenty of cash, and they have good facilities, no? Is it just the hole they're in with the current roster and the state of west coast recruiting that takes the shine off of that job?

Leach and Auburn seem like a terrible match to me.

Leach is one of those coaches, much like Rich Rod, that gets paid based on his ability to run a very specific scheme.

When I think Auburn football, I do not think "Texas Tech style spread offense". Tech probably runs THE most pass-happy spread in all of CFB. I understand that Urban Meyer has been successful running the spread @ Florida, but that is in large part due to Tebow et al. I think Florida stumbles next year or the year after, whenever Tebow leaves. That is simply not SEC football.

Auburn is a defense-first team. Texas Tech is not, and has not, been known for its defense under Leach. They tried to run the spread this year and it failed so miserably that the team had a horrible year - bad enough to get the OC ****canned 6 games into his tenure at Auburn. Leach is the master of that offense but what is to say he does it any better than whoever they had down there?

Will he be able to get the type of WR's and QB's he needs, at Auburn, to run that system? SEC teams are nearly always built around great defenses. Even Florida, with that absolutely ridiculous offense, has an amazing defense backing it up. I really just don't know if I see Leach being successful implementing the sort of D necessary to win in that conference. I know there's D coordinators to do that, but still...

I just don't see it. Screams bad fit to me. Surprised I haven't heard more commentary about this really.

Leach seems like he would be better suited to stay in the Big12 or go to the Pac-10, where teams can win having bad defenses and amazing offenses.

I just really don't see it being successful down in Auburn. In the years recently when they have been really good, they have had dominant defenses and featured the running game on offense (Cadillac and Ronnie Brown in 2004). These are specifically not Leaches strengths - he is a passing attack guy to the core.

Weak, they could have done way better.

Yea I was surprised to hear that too. Did they talk to Petersen, or even attempt to interview him?

Syracuse has interviewed Saints OC Doug Marrone. Meh.

LSU is interested in talking to Greg Robinson about becoming their defensive coordinator.

Weak, they could have done way better.

Wow.:wow:

Brian Kelly, Brady Hoke, Leach, Hill, Mora...even John L. Smith would have been better than that pick.

You really think so? It seems like a good pick to me. A "name" assistant at a major competitor. He'll be able to do a couple things for UW right away - recruit and create a problem at USC. I really don't think UW is that attractive of a job for an existing BCS head coach. Too much to overcome there. But for an assistant, it's a perfect situation.

Plus, if Sarkisian was recruiting any players that CU was after, this could open the door for them to reconsider.

I view this as a good move.

You really think so? It seems like a good pick to me. A "name" assistant at a major competitor. He'll be able to do a couple things for UW right away - recruit and create a problem at USC. I really don't think UW is that attractive of a job for an existing BCS head coach. Too much to overcome there. But for an assistant, it's a perfect situation.

Plus, if Sarkisian was recruiting any players that CU was after, this could open the door for them to reconsider.

I view this as a good move.

Sark may end up doing a good job. I just am a little skeptical that a guy who has never been a HC is ready to take the reins. A lot of OC's would look very smart at $c given their talent level.

UW is a proud program with a fan base that expects to win like $C. They did back in the 80's and 90's and a lot of fans expect those days to return. We'll see.

Sark may end up doing a good job. I just am a little skeptical that a guy who has never been a HC is ready to take the reins. A lot of OC's would look very smart at $c given their talent level.

UW is a proud program with a fan base that expects to win like $C. They did back in the 80's and 90's and a lot of fans expect those days to return. We'll see.

They can expect that all they want. The reality is that UW is a program in the toilet right now. That program is light years away from respectability and any established HC would know that. Did you watch the UW/WSU game? I did. Talk about a tard fight. Two awful teams duking it out to see who was the best of the worst.

Despite the fact that the program is at rock bottom right now, I think the UW job is a pretty good one. They had a great program back in the early 90's and shared a national title.

They can expect that all they want. The reality is that UW is a program in the toilet right now. That program is light years away from respectability and any established HC would know that. Did you watch the UW/WSU game? I did. Talk about a tard fight. Two awful teams duking it out to see who was the best of the worst.

I used to live in Seattle. So, I watched the game. The Apple Cup is a big deal there. WSU and UW did look like a couple of teams limping to the finish line. UW fans are a bout as rabid as any other fans I can think of, there may be a few fanbases more rabid in the SEC but UW is right up there. They are going to want a return to the glory days, and soon....

On the positive side of things, I think UW will, eventually, make it's way back to being competitive for conference titles. I don't know when that will happen, but I think it will. In the meantime, tickets to games are probably pretty easy to come by. Think UT in 1991, USC in 1996, OU in 1998.

On the positive side of things, I think UW will, eventually, make it's way back to being competitive for conference titles. I don't know when that will happen, but I think it will. In the meantime, tickets to games are probably pretty easy to come by. Think UT in 1991, USC in 1996, OU in 1998.

They are very easy to come by. I'm pretty sure DD is going to be asking for season tickets fairly soon. At least Denver to Seattle is an easy flight. When the Buffs are not playing at home, of course.

I used to live in Seattle. So, I watched the game. The Apple Cup is a big deal there. WSU and UW did look like a couple of teams limping to the finish line. UW fans are a bout as rabid as any other fans I can think of, there may be a few fanbases more rabid in the SEC but UW is right up there. They are going to want a return to the glory days, and soon....

I ****ing love that UW is in the ****ter. I remember those coksuckers after Ellen bolted for the "haves". Their fans are a bunch of pompous wine sippers. I wouldnt mind seeing them go 0 for 10000.

I ****ing love that UW is in the ****ter. I remember those coksuckers after Ellen bolted for the "haves". Their fans are a bunch of pompous wine sippers. I wouldnt mind seeing them go 0 for 10000.

I'm not quite that bitter but I did live up there during that time & my coworkers covered my door with the sports coverage and quotes from Skippy regarding Colorado. I was pissed. On top of that, we lost to them up there (aaagh, that was a painful game). Gotta love karma.... :lol:

Sacky with all due respect you dont know what you are talking about with UW, they have sucked since skippy left but that has nothing to do with structural reasons and everything to do with ****ty coaching choices:

These are the advantages they enjoy over Colorado, And for that matter many Pac-10 schools:
-Their alumni support exceeds ours.
-Their AD even in these tough times is sufficient.
-Their attendance and stadium capacity still exceeds not only our but most in the Pac-10 even though they are horrible.
-They have state support, the state of Washington is seriously considering giving/loaning them 150million in matching funds to help renovate huskey stadium in the spring.
-They are willing/able to pay more than we are for a coach, they dont have the state meddling in assistants pay.
-Washington has the 13th largest population base and a decent amount of home grown talent, that even today (Jake locker) is staying home.
-genuine home field advantage, when that stadium is full its the second toughest place to play in the pac-10.

Sakesian was a total cop-out and a third terrible choice, it should have been: Peterson, Kelly, Paterson, Tubberville, you name it on that list. Some one with head coaching experience who had won and done so convincingly at another program. **** Norm Chow would have been a Better Choice than Sark.

sacky ... as we´re at it .... now that kiffin has been named the new vols hc, do you still think kiffin´s decision to take the raiders job didnt help his career?

Back