What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coaching carousel...

Simplified the offense, right?:beerme:
the announcers said he went from 180 to 70 in one season... wait till next year when they hit a rough patch. that 70 will go to about 20... then to 10... then to about 3 :lol:

We need a real OC here...if Hawkins wants to run the spread, may as well have a coach who really knows it. I know it's purely a pipe dream.

Please no...that guy is a PR disaster. His version of the spread is much more like TT than say Mizzou or KU where the run is mixed in. I thought the same thing until I remembered he almost single handedly ran Kentucky into the ground with his recruiting shenanigans and then went Bubba on some Arab American players at NMSU. I have visions of him driving around Boulder in a SUV with a F*** TIBET bumper sticker....

Please no...that guy is a PR disaster. His version of the spread is much more like TT than say Mizzou or KU where the run is mixed in. I thought the same thing until I remembered he almost single handedly ran Kentucky into the ground with his recruiting shenanigans and then went Bubba on some Arab American players at NMSU. I have visions of him driving around Boulder in a SUV with a F*** TIBET bumper sticker....

OU showed pretty clearly to me that what TT runs doesn't not always work when a defense with a strong front four and excellent secondary is the opponent. OU's DL was able to penetrate easily when TT was in a 5wr set. You have to be able to run the ball. Hawkins use of Stewart and Scott make it very clear to me that CU will be running the ball a lot in the future.

Please no...that guy is a PR disaster. His version of the spread is much more like TT than say Mizzou or KU where the run is mixed in.

If you want to run a spread offense with a heavy run emphasis, the guy who is available out there is Chuck Long. I don't know what he would need to make, but I bet he would come if the price was right.

But I am aware it will never happen.

If you want to run a spread offense with a heavy run emphasis, the guy who is available out there is Chuck Long. I don't know what he would need to make, but I bet he would come if the price was right.

But I am aware it will never happen.

The OU folk seemed glad to see him go...

This just makes no sense at all. Why the HELL would you leave a program that you have brought to the top 10 for the WORST team in D1? I don't care how much money they're throwing at him, not worth it.

Have you ever been to Lubbock and Seattle? :lol:

FWIW (probably not much) Rivals has Watson listed as a candidate for the Bowling Green job and Barnett listed as a candidate for SDSU.

This just makes no sense at all. Why the HELL would you leave a program that you have brought to the top 10 for the WORST team in D1? I don't care how much money they're throwing at him, not worth it.

I wondered about this a while back in this thread. I don't think the money can be that much different, actually. It's easier to recruit at Tech, Tech plays in a better conference, gets on TV more often, and there's no reclamation job involved. Holy Crap, UW is flat-out awful. They hit rock bottom and then pulled out a shovel and started digging. It'll take 5 years - minimum - to dig out of that hole. The one and only thing that's better about UW is it's location. Even so, I'd be very hesitant to leave a great situation in Lubbock to go to Washington.

I wondered about this a while back in this thread. I don't think the money can be that much different, actually. It's easier to recruit at Tech, Tech plays in a better conference, gets on TV more often, and there's no reclamation job involved. Holy Crap, UW is flat-out awful. They hit rock bottom and then pulled out a shovel and started digging. It'll take 5 years - minimum - to dig out of that hole. The one and only thing that's better about UW is it's location. Even so, I'd be very hesitant to leave a great situation in Lubbock to go to Washington.

Isn't he up for contract negotiations at the end of the year? Perhaps he wants to have a bit on the table to play with.

IMO there are a few reasons ML might bail. He is never going to beat OU and UT in the same year, therefore he will never get to a CCG and never get a shot at a MNC at TT. At best he's third fiddle in the Big 12 S and living ina windy dust bowl of a city. He doesn't really get along with his AD and he feels unappreciated. He could go to Seattle, which is to Lubbock what Filet Mignon is to Spam. He could get paid 2MM+, live in a beautiful place, play in the Pac 10 where there is only one real competitor (U$C) on par with the OU, UT, OSU gauntlet he runs now, and recruit the talent rich west coast. ML is a west coast guy to begin with and the living in the Pac 10 is easier than the Big 12 S. Add in the open ocean access and his pirate heart is probably all a flutter as we speak.....

IMO there are a few reasons ML might bail. He is never going to beat OU and UT in the same year, therefore he will never get to a CCG and never get a shot at a MNC at TT. At best he's third fiddle in the Big 12 S and living ina windy dust bowl of a city. He doesn't really get along with his AD and he feels unappreciated. He could go to Seattle, which is to Lubbock what Filet Mignon is to Spam. He could get paid 2MM+, live in a beautiful place, play in the Pac 10 where there is only one real competitor (U$C) on par with the OU, UT, OSU gauntlet he runs now, and recruit the talent rich west coast. ML is a west coast guy to begin with and the living in the Pac 10 is easier than the Big 12 S. Add in the open ocean access and his pirate heart is probably all a flutter as we speak.....

I don't think there is any question that UW is a better job than Tech. Leach has ridden that horse about as far as it can go, it will never be able to recruit well enough to match talent w/ OU and UT, and probably not aTm either once they are no longer in the toilet.

UW on the other hand has a history which clearly shows they are capable of competing in the Pac 10, and they can pay. Also, I think they can attract better talent than Tech.

Chip Kelly may be named HC in waiting at OU, and Mike Belotti future AD...

What is with all this HC in waiting jazz?

Another thing the "coach in waiting" thing does is provide some consistency for recruits. They know who the head coach is now, and they also know that if the current head coach leaves, who will be the next head coach. I view it as more of a recruiting tool than anything else.

I view it as more of a recruiting tool than anything else.

I agree. It's comforting to know as a player who your coach is and who it will be if the current coach leaves. You have a pretty good Idea what the program is going to be about during your time at the school.

I don't think there is any question that UW is a better job than Tech. Leach has ridden that horse about as far as it can go, it will never be able to recruit well enough to match talent w/ OU and UT, and probably not aTm either once they are no longer in the toilet.

UW on the other hand has a history which clearly shows they are capable of competing in the Pac 10, and they can pay. Also, I think they can attract better talent than Tech.

I think there's plenty of question as to whether UW is a better job than Tech. The location is far superior, there's no doubt about it. But I really don't think the money will be much different in either place. The history of UW is good, but that and a $.25 will get you a phone call to somebody who cares. As for attracting better talent, I again have to disagree. Texas and OU's scraps are better than the home-grown talent in the state of Washington. At UW, he'd have to go into California and compete against USC, UCLA, Cal, UO, ASU, in addition to CU & NU. Everybody wants a piece of the California talent, and UW is pretty low on the pecking order right now.

I think there's plenty of question as to whether UW is a better job than Tech. The location is far superior, there's no doubt about it. But I really don't think the money will be much different in either place. The history of UW is good, but that and a $.25 will get you a phone call to somebody who cares. As for attracting better talent, I again have to disagree. Texas and OU's scraps are better than the home-grown talent in the state of Washington. At UW, he'd have to go into California and compete against USC, UCLA, Cal, UO, ASU, in addition to CU & NU. Everybody wants a piece of the California talent, and UW is pretty low on the pecking order right now.

I looked at Rivals team recriting rankings back all the way to 02, and Leach has had only 1 top 25 class, they were ranked 25th in 06. Prior to Leach, I don't recall Spike Dykes having great recruiting classes either, so I would speculate that it is not that Leach is a poor recruiter.

UW has only had 2 top 25 classes under Willingham, which was last year's at 24 and 19th in 04. However, under Neuheisel they had top 25 classes going back through 02 (which is as far back as rivals records on their website). If they are winning, UW can attract better talent than Tech.

Washington has won 15 Pac 10 championships, 7 Rose Bowls, and four national championships. They have the 17th ranked all-time winning percentage in the NCAA.

Tech has won 2 conference championships, both in the SWC, in 76 and 94.

Back