What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coaching Staff

There is a serious, serious problem if we import the entire SJSU staff and pay them anywhere close to $2.6million. That indicates that our coach is here to get himself and his buddies a pay raise and borders on unprofessional and unethical. That's many, many millions of dollars over the life of their contracts for one great season in a minor conference.
that is just not even on the table. 1/2 of the staff, yes. All, no.

I can't help but fee that we aren't going to get any big name position coaches or huge recruiters. MikeMac seems quite content with his staff and personnel, which are not big names (yet), which to me says he will continue to get position coaches and a recruiting coordinator without any sheen or "Pac 12 potential". But if that's his style, I'll fully support him. unless there is no improvement after 2-3 years.

There is a serious, serious problem if we import the entire SJSU staff and pay them anywhere close to $2.6million. That indicates that our coach is here to get himself and his buddies a pay raise and borders on unprofessional and unethical. That's many, many millions of dollars over the life of their contracts for one great season in a minor conference.

Why is it a serious problem? What is wrong with them doing great work, and moving up for more money at a tougher higher profile job?

why is it a serious problem, whats wrong with them doing great work and moving up for more money at a tougher higher profile job?

It is not a serious problem. It happens all the time...you know like with our own HC, or Urban Meyer, or Gary Anderson, or Gary Pinkel, or Jim Tressel. I could go on. A lot of the guys that MikeMac is bringing over have a ton of "BCS" experience. Not sure what people are looking for honestly.

Everyone "needs their chance" - these guys should do fine. Coaching a 1* vs a 5* athlete is the same. It is all about x's and o's, which it sounds like they know how to do. Putting players in position, having a game plan, adjustments at halftime... Besides, they are in California, and have a relationship with a lot of high schools in that area...
Everyone step away from the cliff and give these guys a chance. I also think MikeMac will make changes as it becomes necessary. I hope they come in here and light it up... besides, with what we have had for the previous 7 years, it will be an improvement - post it

Last edited:
So a guy who has been a coordinator at Notre Dame, Washington, Arizona State, and Stanford doesn't "deserve" to get paid.
An assistant coach who has been at UCLA, Arizona, and USC doesn't "deserve" to get paid.

You guys crack me up.

Where were you jokers two years ago when CU hired a TE coach to be the school's head coach?

Everyone "needs their chance" - these guys should do fine. Coaching a 1* vs a 5* athlete is the same. It is all about x's and o's, which it sounds like they know how to do. Putting players in position, having a game plan, adjustments at halftime... Besides, they are in California, and have a relationship with a lot of high schools in that area...
Everyone step away from the cliff and give these guys a chance. I also think MikeMac will make changes as it becomes necessary. I hope they come in here and light it up... besides, with what we have had for the previous 7 years, it will be an improvement - post it

Uhhh...you just did.

I don't think you guys get that $2.6mil is a lot of money for a staff... a top of the conference type salary pool. Even MacIntyre is making over $2mil... with that we have expectations

I don't think you guys get that $2.6mil is a lot of money for a staff... a top of the conference type salary pool. Even MacIntyre is making over $2mil... with that we have expectations

$2.6 mil isn't that much. If each coordinator makes $500k, that's $1.6 mil to split between 7 assistant coaches. That means the remaining 7 coaches get paid an average of $229,000.

In college football today, the AVERAGE salary of an assistant coach is $200,000.

In the SEC, the average assistant coach pay was $315,000 in 2012.
In the Big 12, the average assistant coach pay was $290,000 in 2012.

Clemson paid $4.2 million for their assistant coaching pool in 2012.
LSU paid more than $4 million for their assistant coaching pool in 2012.
Ohio State paid more than $3 million for the assistant coaches in 2012. (Go take a look at where some of those coaches have coached!)

Ok... we're really competing with the Pac-12. From what I understand we'll only be behind Washington in the Pac-12. So, it's not outrageous to have expectations for that.

And I just took a look at Ohio State's staff. Their staff is pretty amazing, and for only 400k more

Last edited:
Ok... we're really competing with the Pac-12. From what I understand we'll only be behind Washington in the Pac-12. So, it's not outrageous to have expectations for that.

And I just took a look at Ohio State's staff. Their staff is pretty amazing, and for only 400k more

Really?

Kerry Coombs was coaching high school 5 years ago. Tim Hinton is basically the same thing. Tom Herman was the offensive coordinator at Texas State, Rice, and Iowa State prior to going to Ohio State. Does that merit him being the 2nd highest paid assistant coach in the Big 10?

When you neglect something....its very expensive to fix....that is where CU is right now.

Atleast the resources are there to try and fix it this time around....

Expectations are fine, on the football field. They haven't even coached 1 game here yet, you have no idea if they will succeed or not.

Baer at UW:

"At the conclusion of the 2007 season, after a statistically worst defensive season in UW football history, Willingham decided to let Baer go. In the three years at UW, the defense ranked 94, 95 and 98 in total defense, 89, 85 and 94 in scoring defense, and 106, 102 and 85 in passing defense."

Not enthused about this guy. Hope he can recruit.

Helfrich was seen as less than stellar while at CU. He is seen as the possible replacement to Chip Kelly at Oregon...

Really?

Kerry Coombs was coaching high school 5 years ago. Tim Hinton is basically the same thing. Tom Herman was the offensive coordinator at Texas State, Rice, and Iowa State prior to going to Ohio State. Does that merit him being the 2nd highest paid assistant coach in the Big 10?

Coombs has 5 years coaching an Auto-Q school, and Hinton has nearly a decade (including at ND). Their staff also has Everett Whithers, Luke Fickell etc. We obviously can't attract that type of talent, but we should expect more than an SJSU staff. Take a look at Guidici, Klayton Adams, La Russa, or even Clark's (keep in mind he only coached Safety's) resume and tell me with a straight face they have any business being on a Pac-12 coaching staff. It's fine if you have one or two, as long as they are excellent recruiters. But when you make up a staff and have 3-4 of those guys on, it becomes a major problem. Especially for paying them all around $225k. MacIntyre did say he would bring the "majority" of his staff with him:scared2:

Slider, give us an Idea of what an acceptable staff would be for you?

When you neglect something....its very expensive to fix....that is where CU is right now.

Atleast the resources are there to try and fix it this time around....

Exactly. We have the $$$, now go get a quality Pac-12 staff

Expectations are fine, on the football field. They haven't even coached 1 game here yet, you have no idea if they will succeed or not.

Of course I don't. But I think we'll have a pretty good idea. And @ Slade, if Lindgren makes $500k, I will laugh hysterically.

Until I hear that more than 5 coaches are coming to CU, I'm gonna laugh at this freak out.

Exactly. We have the $$$, now go get a quality Pac-12 staff

Of course I don't. But I think we'll have a pretty good idea. And @ Slade, if Lindgren makes $500k, I will laugh hysterically.
And what would that be? Based on this staff's history, I'd venture to guess that the odds of succeeding are higher than not.

This is a bad analogy tOSU is likely to be competing for the national title and is a much more attractive job than CU right now, the same staff at CU probably costs $4million to get them here.

Slider, give us an Idea of what an acceptable staff would be for you?

I'm fine with bringing:
Lindgren (not worth 500k however)
Jeffcoat
Baer (not super happy, but more happy Mac was a good DC)
Forman, he seems legit
Bernardi

Clark seems borderline since he only coached Safety's. So he better be a damn good recruiter. We're talking Demetrice Martin status here

I'll flip ****tu if we bring in Guidici, La Russa, Adams etc. Those guys have no business being on a Pac-12 staff for the $$ we're paying, as of right now at least.

At a very minimum we should be poaching some Pac-12 coaches. None of those guys above have coached in the Pac-12, at least in the last decade. I don't really have names but how about Oregon State's WR coach. We need at least 2-3 coaches that are in the Pac-12 right now. I'd also really like Lubick, maybe as associate HC.

Until I hear that more than 5 coaches are coming to CU, I'm gonna laugh at this freak out.

I fully admit this

And what would that be? Based on this staff's history, I'd venture to guess that the odds of succeeding are higher than not.

Taking the majority of the staff from what is actually left of the WAC and putting them in the Pac-12 will not succeed more often than not. I guess this is Bohn's fault, if we're getting that staff we shouldn't have made it a "minimum" of $2.6mil for the staff

At a very minimum we should be poaching some Pac-12 coaches. None of those guys above have coached in the Pac-12, at least in the last decade. I don't really have names but how about Oregon State's WR coach. We need at least 2-3 coaches that are in the Pac-12 right now.

what sort of premium do you think we'd have to pay to poach coaches from anywhere not Wazzu?

This is a bad analogy tOSU is likely to be competing for the national title and is a much more attractive job than CU right now, the same staff at CU probably costs $4million to get them here.

This is what people are missing here. It costs more to get good coaches to worse situations than it does to the more prestigious ones.

what sort of premium do you think we'd have to pay to poach coaches from anywhere not Wazzu?

Given the fact that we allegedly offered several BCS head coaches $3+ million to come to CU and they said "no thanks" -- I would venture a guess that hiring assistant coaches at CU in it's current state, along with the year-to-year contract issue we always hear about, is not the easiest task.

Obviously not that much if we're going to have a higher coaching pool than 11/12 teams in the Pac-12. For example Demetrice Martin only makes 165k. Brent Brennan is listed at 120k. Our average salary is nearly double that of Brennan's. Just multiply that by 7 AC's and think of what we could get.

Taking the majority of the staff from what is actually left of the WAC and putting them in the Pac-12 will not succeed more often than not. I guess this is Bohn's fault, if we're getting that staff we shouldn't have made it a "minimum" of $2.6mil for the staff
I figured that's where you were coming from.

Last edited:
Back