What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Conference Expansion - Big 12 is a tire fire

Does the performance yesterday by the lammies and the performance today by Houston put the nail in the coffin for CSU?

Does the performance yesterday by the lammies and the performance today by Houston put the nail in the coffin for CSU?

I don't think so.... they aren't going to make decisions like that based off one game.

They were not getting in before the game started, the outcome does not change a thing their G5 and staying there

Sources: Citing need for new conference doormat, Iowa State and Kansas are lobbying hard for Colorado State to be invited to Big 12.

Big 12 Expansion weekly standings
1. No. 15 Houston (1-0):
33-23 win against No. 3 Oklahoma
2. BYU (1-0): 18-16 win against Arizona
3. SMU (1-0): 34-21 win at North Texas
4. UCF (1-0): 38-0 win against South Carolina State
5. USF (1-0): 56-20 win against Towson
6. Cincinnati (1-0): 28-7 win against Tennessee-Martin
7. Air Force (1-0): 37-21 win against Abilene Christian
8. UConn (1-0): 24-21 win against Maine
9. Tulane (0-1): 7-3 loss at Wake Forest
10. Rice (0-1): 46-14 loss at Western Kentucky
11. Colorado State (0-1): 44-7 loss at Colorado

SBNation expansion tracker. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

GettyImages-598759624.0.jpg

A little run for the possibility of adding UCF & USF. http://www.inquisitr.com/3491659/bi...-to-large-tv-markets-fertile-recruiting-area/

Florida only having 3 P5 teams is awfully light in consideration for the population and talent in that state. Texas has 5 (possibly 6 if Houston moves up). California has 4 (possibly 5 if SDSU moves up - less likely).

Plus, Orlando and Tampa are serious media markets that aren't currently owned by any college programs. These are also huge universities. UCF has almost 55k undergrads. USF has over 36k undergrads. Pretty much G5 in name only and could be serious players if raised to P5.

Maybe go to 14 members? UCF/USF + Cincinnati/Houston? That would be some serious additions to recruiting grounds.

Or maybe they go to 12 this way, opening the door for the Pac-12 to snag Houston?

A little run for the possibility of adding UCF & USF. http://www.inquisitr.com/3491659/bi...-to-large-tv-markets-fertile-recruiting-area/

Florida only having 3 P5 teams is awfully light in consideration for the population and talent in that state. Texas has 5 (possibly 6 if Houston moves up). California has 4 (possibly 5 if SDSU moves up - less likely).

Plus, Orlando and Tampa are serious media markets that aren't currently owned by any college programs. These are also huge universities. UCF has almost 55k undergrads. USF has over 36k undergrads. Pretty much G5 in name only and could be serious players if raised to P5.

Maybe go to 14 members? UCF/USF + Cincinnati/Houston? That would be some serious additions to recruiting grounds.

Or maybe they go to 12 this way, opening the door for the Pac-12 to snag Houston?

This is precisely what I would do if I was the Big 12.

Why not? What's so terrible about being in a 12 team league?

Much better to be a good 12 team league than a bad 14 or 16 team league.

If adding teams makes the league better then do it, if it makes the league weaker or less financially valuable on average then no.

So far I haven't seen a lot of proposals that make the league better for the existing members.

So far, all I've seen is a bunch of Nancys crying about needing to expand without actually saying why.

So far, all I've seen is a bunch of Nancys crying about needing to expand without actually saying why.

I refer you to the SEC and Big 10 paydays compared to the Pac's. I also refer you to the last 12 pages of this thread. Just because you don't like it, and I don't necessarily like it, doesn't mean you can stick your head in the sand if you are the Pac 12. If a pair of two pairs of schools become available that will add real value, then you have to consider it.

Personally, I understand going from 10 to 12 due to a conference championship game. 12 to 14 is a bit harder for me to wrap my head around. You get additional game volume and can expand into new markets for tv & recruiting, but it has to be significant to justify that expansion. 16 is where I see the potential for a big payoff if it includes 2 semi-final games for the conference title.

five 16 team super conferences. the champs all get auto-bids into an 8 team playoff for the nc. 3 at-large picks selected by a committee. it is going to be epic but it will still take a few more years.

five 16 team super conferences. the champs all get auto-bids into an 8 team playoff for the nc. 3 at-large picks selected by a committee. it is going to be epic but it will still take a few more years.

I agree, except I think it will be 4 instead of 5. What I really wonder, though, is if it will include an opportunity for a G6 team to crash the party. Moving toward the P5/4 conferences not even scheduling them.

Do some people really think the Pac-12 will be able to stay at 12 teams if every other power conference expands to 16 teams?

Back