What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CSU AD Fired?

Other than the stadium the only possibility is that Eustacy (sp) got a hold of some beer and co-eds again and Graham tried to keep it under the table (in a manner of speaking.)

Other than the stadium the only possibility is that Eustacy (sp) got a hold of some beer and co-eds again and Graham tried to keep it under the table (in a manner of speaking.)

Had not considered this possibility. Hmmmmm.

definitely not because of the stadium at all! [tweet]497864898249236480[/tweet]

But...but...but.... The Big XII... the Pac-12... the Big10... the seat at the big boy table. It is still coming right? Right guys?!?

No info, but they could also be trying to get out in front of a COI action that hasn't been reported yet.

JG has been rumored to be in the "whatever it takes to win" category, legal or not.

please refer to my previous comment, failing on the stadium goals isnt a logically fire-able offense.

Refusing to alter plans based on the reality of the financing and the political climate would be a justification to "fire for convenience" on irreconcilable personal differences, though. If the stadium needed to be delayed, scaled back or become a remodel of Hughes... and Graham said he would not accept it or support it either privately or publicly... then that would lead to termination.

As you bring up, failure to raise the money would not be the issue -- by itself. But if Graham's mouth cut checks they couldn't cash and Tony Frank made promises/ got embarrassed based on that, then I can see him getting fired. The quickest way to lose a job is to make your boss look bad.

the stadium was jack's dulcinea.

it was a sweet dream. the sheep were unworthy of big dreams.

I have a 12 pack that says CSU will announce within the next year that they're not moving forward with the stadium plan. They had to fire Graham in order to kill the stadium. He wouldn't ever let the deal die.

That is the thing you dont have to fire a highly successful guy like Graham if you arent going to follow his plan he shows himself the door. If you are Dr. frank you simply say we have decided to go in a different direction we need you to back it and things take care of them-self, it also doesnt happen quickly like this. With a guy like Bohn you have to fire him because he's not a visionary he's a manager who takes kick in the nuts after kick in the nuts and stays.

Something else is up.

The stadium maybe dead but at CSU not getting a new on campus stadium built in a hostile town is not a friable offense not when you are winning and and on the upswing. Hell I dont know that RG could get Folsom built today, but if you brought him in to do it and changed tack, he'd simply leave.

No info, but they could also be trying to get out in front of a COI action that hasn't been reported yet.

JG has been rumored to be in the "whatever it takes to win" category, legal or not.

he hired a coach from Bama, what other evidence did they need?

if they were doing this in anticipation of ncaa action, they wouldn't have spun it this way. they will look dishonest when the next shoe drops and i don't think they'd make that mistake.

they could be covering up something untoward, but perhaps not an ncaa violation.

the other thing is you can expect is a bunch FOIA requests for their emails and notes and such. if there is a record of them firing him for something illegal or against the rules, it will come out.

That is the thing you dont have to fire a highly successful guy like Graham if you arent going to follow his plan he shows himself the door. If you are Dr. frank you simply say we have decided to go in a different direction we need you to back it and things take care of them-self, it also doesnt happen quickly like this. With a guy like Bohn you have to fire him because he's not a visionary he's a manager who takes kick in the nuts after kick in the nuts and stays.

Something else is up.

The stadium maybe dead but at CSU not getting a new on campus stadium built in a hostile town is not a friable offense not when you are winning and and on the upswing. Hell I dont know that RG could get Folsom built today, but if you brought him in to do it and changed tack, he'd simply leave.

Why would Graham quit on his own? His ego wouldn't allow that. I envision the conversation went something like this:

Frank: Jack, we have a problem. The stadium funding isn't coming in like you promised. We're looking pretty silly right now.
Graham: Tony, look, I'll get it done. I just need some more time. Trust me.
Frank: Jack, we need to cut bait. This deal is dead. I don't want to hear anything more about a stadium. We'll let the deal die slowly. We'll make an announcement in another couple months, but unless something amazing happens, this deal is toast.
Graham: Tony, what the hell is the matter with you? Think big! No way are we giving up on this now.
Frank: Jack, please clean out your desk and turn in your keys. We'll get you a severance check in a week or two.

ramnation right now

frams.gif

if they were doing this in anticipation of ncaa action, they wouldn't have spun it this way. they will look dishonest when the next shoe drops and i don't think they'd make that mistake.

they could be covering up something untoward, but perhaps not an ncaa violation.

True dat, the likely would've come out and addmitted whatver rules they broke in the press release to get out in front of it all.

We'll have to agree to disagree the successful high functioning people i know don't hang on like that.

That's where I agree with you. Graham's got enough "**** you" money that he doesn't need it. If he has a vision and it wasn't going to be supported, he'd follow an angry tirade at his "boss" (who he never really saw as a boss) with a walk out the door. CSU would be scrambling to pay him something to avoid him talking publicly.

Graham said or did something that cannot be tolerated in a university/ government setting. It may very well have to do with him reacting to things regarding his vision, though. It could be something as simple as aggressively trying to get university donors to redirect their giving from academic departments to the stadium. If Graham didn't respond to a first warning on something like that, Frank would have to fire him if he wanted to keep his own job.

Maybe a big donor doesn't like Graham?

This could be a good decision for the Rams. The guy did make good hires, but had no experience as an AD. He was probably running amok up there.

Could also be a sign that CSU is getting more serious about being included in the P5 after the recent news?

This was what I thought too. No reason to fire him today unless a big donor (Pat Stryker never seemed to get along with JG) called Frank and demanded the action (or he engaged in some act of moral turpitude, such as sexual harassment). Shocking, really. Isn't JG one of the big donors anyway? This move tells me that expectations will be scaled back.

Last edited:

This could be a good decision for the Rams. The guy did make good hires, but had no experience as an AD. He was probably running amok up there.

Could also be a sign that CSU is getting more serious about being included in the P5 after the recent news?

There was no one more serious about positioning CSU for the changing college athletics landscape than Jack Graham. No one.

I really think that it's probably Graham behaving in a way that doesn't align with a non-profit public university. That environment is diametrically opposed culturally to how an entrepreneurial CEO relates to the world. Benson has struggled with this, but with him we had someone who was more of a politician than businessperson by the time he entered university life so it worked out ok. Different role, too. Benson's at the top of the food chain as president. I'm not sure he could deal with reporting to one or more academicians.

Did you even read what you just wrote? CSU has been doing EVERYTHING to position themselves for P5, by letting a big donor run the show. Then reality hit. They were spending money hand over fist that they don't have.

There was no one more serious about positioning CSU for the changing college athletics landscape than Jack Graham. No one.

I really think that it's probably Graham behaving in a way that doesn't align with a non-profit public university. That environment is diametrically opposed culturally to how an entrepreneurial CEO relates to the world. Benson has struggled with this, but with him we had someone who was more of a politician than businessperson by the time he entered university life so it worked out ok. Different role, too. Benson's at the top of the food chain as president. I'm not sure he could deal with reporting to one or more academicians.

I think you are likely right. Just throwing out a few theories.

Did you even read what you just wrote? CSU has been doing EVERYTHING to position themselves for P5, by letting a big donor run the show. Then reality hit. They were spending money hand over fist that they don't have.

My point was more that Graham has probably done everything he could to this point, and messed quite a few things up due to no experience. Hence the need to move on to the next guy to try and take them to the next level.

smells of misconduct, malfeasance, gross negligence, etc.

if the sheep are lucky, he was merely banging a student or a goat or something and this is not financial or academic related.
You left out shenanigans.

Things to remember about Graham

- He has said some very inflammatory things in the past that were never picked up by the local media (him and Sparkles making comments about black athletes being the big one). It isn't out of the realm that there is some scandal that Frank is heading off

- He has encouraged the CSU AD to cut corners on admitting student athletes, big time

- He has spent a crap-ton of money to bring in good coaches, but I have to see anything that would suggest they have a revenue stream to support them. I thought I read that CSU AD was borrowing heavily from the school

- His STATED goal when he was hired was to build the stadium. They aren't even close with the deadline fast approaching

- He's pissed off a huge contingent of Fort Collins residents and faculty due to this stadium project

So abs, while he has had success with W/L, Frank may not have thought it financially sustainable. That, coupled with his spectacular failure with the stadium and the other things above, as well as inflexibility with pursuing other stadium options, may have done him in.

And for the record, it is delicious hearing the local media rip up CSU for once.

I do give credit to Frank for announcing this at 3pm on a Friday after the Broncos first preseason game against the Seahawks.... and doing it via email. I doubt CSU gives him a press conference :lol:

CU could learn a thing or two about timing like that :smile2:

Back