What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CSU AD Fired?

Wasn't Jack one of their largest boosters? Can't imagine that firing him is going to help their fundraising goals. Another reason not to hire a booster as AD.

Pat Stryker is their biggest donor. She's a real piece of work in her own right.

It'll be interesting to see where they go from here. My guess, and this is a totally uniformed guess, is that they try to move forward with the new stadium, but have it be dramatically scaled back. Somewhere around 20K seats that can be expanded easily. They'll go to the donors they already have with a new plan and try to get them to sign off on it. They will be careful to not assume any additional revenue from the stadium. They'll sell off the area around Hughes to finance a chunk of it. No need for Hughes anymore. Might as well sell it now, while the market is hot. That would make a great area for some high-end homes. It's tucked right up against the foothills. They could probably get somewhere around $20-$30MM for that land. Maybe more.

Market forces gona' shape markets.

CSU had a bad hand before Cap'n Jack. The next AD faces similar headwinds.

The window of opportunity for CSU P5 membership closed long, long ago.

The next AD probably won't be a dream and spend visionary. JG's replacement will have the tough job of selling lowered expectations.

Ignoring for the moment how ridiculously unlikely it is -- if they have a big announcement on the stadium to make anytime soon, it's incredibly petty to fire him immediately before. Given how instrumental he was to getting the project off the ground, they could have waited until after the announcement and then pushed him out shortly thereafter. If it weren't absurdly unlikely, I'd accuse CSU of being pretty classless.

Ignoring for the moment how ridiculously unlikely it is -- if they have a big announcement on the stadium to make anytime soon, it's incredibly petty to fire him immediately before. Given how instrumental he was to getting the project off the ground, they could have waited until after the announcement and then pushed him out shortly thereafter. If it weren't absurdly unlikely, I'd accuse CSU of being pretty classless.

Like calling a walk on sophomore the night before camp and saying "don't bother coming to practice"?

Wasn't Jack one of their largest boosters? Can't imagine that firing him is going to help their fundraising goals. Another reason not to hire a booster as AD.

Would be cool for him to stay on board. Maybe buy the naming rights just to stick it to CSEwe. Capt Jack House of Goats is kinda catchy.

Pat Stryker is their biggest donor. She's a real piece of work in her own right.

It'll be interesting to see where they go from here. My guess, and this is a totally uniformed guess, is that they try to move forward with the new stadium, but have it be dramatically scaled back. Somewhere around 20K seats that can be expanded easily. They'll go to the donors they already have with a new plan and try to get them to sign off on it. They will be careful to not assume any additional revenue from the stadium. They'll sell off the area around Hughes to finance a chunk of it. No need for Hughes anymore. Might as well sell it now, while the market is hot. That would make a great area for some high-end homes. It's tucked right up against the foothills. They could probably get somewhere around $20-$30MM for that land. Maybe more.

Would that go to the AD?

I don't think any school has a single vote veto. I do seem to recall that it only takes three schools to kill expansion, though. I actually think CU would vote to admit CSU. Why wouldn't we? We kick their ass in just about everything we play them anyway. Might as well have those be conference wins. Plus, it's an easy trip. I could actually see CU championing CSU's cause. Everybody else, save for Utah, has an in-state rival/pairing.

Of course, you are thinking that CSU would add enough value to keep the per team payouts in the conference at least equal to what it is now. They wouldn't, so no way CU would vote to lose money. Plus, if CU hypothetically did vote to let them in, now we are dealing with another in state program that has the same conference resources that we do. I say hell no to giving CSU any kind of help in their ability to compete with CU. Only way CU would allow them in is if it was beneficial to CU.

Of course, you are thinking that CSU would add enough value to keep the per team payouts in the conference at least equal to what it is now. They wouldn't, so no way CU would vote to lose money. Plus, if CU hypothetically did vote to let them in, now we are dealing with another in state program that has the same conference resources that we do. I say hell no to giving CSU any kind of help in their ability to compete with CU. Only way CU would allow them in is if it was beneficial to CU.

I'm not making any assumptions about what CSU would actually bring to the table. I'm merely pointing out that CU would, in all liklihood, be very supportive of CSU joining the Pac 12 if it ever got to the point that it was a real consideration. This wouldn't be Rick George's call. It would be Bruce Benson's and the Regents. Those folks have a very different idea of what benefits CU than RG does.

Would that go to the AD?

I'm in pure speculation mode, so take this for what it's worth. I think it would go to whatever the school wanted it to go to. And, as the land is currently used as an athletic facility, it would make sense to use the funds from the sale of the property to improve their remaining athletic facilities.

It happens, but you would think a HC would have the class to have a face to face meeting.

You would also think the coach would have enough class to do it a couple of weeks prior to camp in order to let the kid look for another possible school. He turned down schollies at FCS and D2 schools for the opportunity to walk on.

In terms of real discresionary income most people have seen a decline over the past 10-15 years. Cost of attending games has risen significantly. Pretty easy to put those two together along with the alternative of sitting at home and watching on a 60 inch HD screen with surround sound and the attendance issues aren't that hard to understand.

In this environment CSU thinks that they are going to jump from under 20k attendance to over 30k simply by building a new stadium on campus? Yes it is a monorail.

It makes sense that Tony Frank saw the problems they have had so far generating donations and recognizing that this was just the seed money and that more would have to be raised in the future and he saw the writing on the wall, Jack Graham refused to read that writing and you end up with a parting of ways.

You would also think the coach would have enough class to do it a couple of weeks prior to camp in order to let the kid look for another possible school. He turned down schollies at FCS and D2 schools for the opportunity to walk on.

Didn't think of that, but agree.

I'm not making any assumptions about what CSU would actually bring to the table. I'm merely pointing out that CU would, in all liklihood, be very supportive of CSU joining the Pac 12 if it ever got to the point that it was a real consideration. This wouldn't be Rick George's call. It would be Bruce Benson's and the Regents. Those folks have a very different idea of what benefits CU than RG does.

I don't see how Benson or the Regents would see this as beneficial to CU. They at least understand the importance of money. Being the only P5 member in the state would trump anything else.

I don't see how Benson or the Regents would see this as beneficial to CU. They at least understand the importance of money. Being the only P5 member in the state would trump anything else.

You're neglecting one very important part of my statement: "if it ever got to the point that it was a real consideration". If it were ever a real consideration, CSU would have to get to the point where they were offering something of value to the conference. I don't know what that is or would be, but it would have to be something. The Pac doesn't just run around granting membership to schools because they like the color of their uniforms.

You're neglecting one very important part of my statement: "if it ever got to the point that it was a real consideration". If it were ever a real consideration, CSU would have to get to the point where they were offering something of value to the conference. I don't know what that is or would be, but it would have to be something. The Pac doesn't just run around granting membership to schools because they like the color of their uniforms.

Even if they did CSU would still not get in :nod:

Not CU, right? Mind sharing? That is classless.

Why is it that we get hammered when we don't offer Colorado kids who at best are marginal and they do this stuff and nobody ever says a word?

If a kid is playing for a school like CSU as a walk-on it is because his heart and soul are into playing football. It is to expensive and to much sweat for to little reward otherwise. Most likely tore the guts out of the kid.

Why is it that we get hammered when we don't offer Colorado kids who at best are marginal and they do this stuff and nobody ever says a word?

If a kid is playing for a school like CSU as a walk-on it is because his heart and soul are into playing football. It is to expensive and to much sweat for to little reward otherwise. Most likely tore the guts out of the kid.

CU is the flagship. What CU does or doesn't do is a lot more newsworthy. Americans love their underdogs, too, so CSU coverage is generally going to take an encouraging tone. CU is held to a higher standard.

I'm more than ok with this.

MtnBuff;1625798[QUOTE said:
]Why is it that we get hammered when we don't offer Colorado kids who at best are marginal and they do this stuff and nobody ever says a word?

Because he only told friends, the press doesn't know. I also firmly believe he would not want the publicity at all.

[/QUOTE]

He can live with the decision, timing pissed him off.

Quite a thread we have here about an off the field firing at a lowly nobody school in a meaningless conference that is not our rival and the game against them is beneath us.

237 posts. Fascination noted. :lol:

Quite a thread we have here about an off the field firing at a lowly nobody school in a meaningless conference that is not our rival and the game against them is beneath us.

237 posts. Fascination noted. :lol:
seriously. people need to stop. :lol:

Back