What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CSU AD Fired?

But you are also a pretty serious fan. Do you think that 1/2 those fans in Stincoln or Tuscalosa care that much?

I agree that I would rather see every team play a quality schedule but I don't think that is a significant factor in attendace drops.

Attendance is down in the SEC. It's a problem. Speaking of Bama, Saban had to publicly address the spotty attendance with people leaving early last season. Nebraska is having trouble even selling its student tickets.

Attendance is down in the SEC. It's a problem. Speaking of Bama, Saban had to publicly address the spotty attendance with people leaving early last season. Nebraska is having trouble even selling its student tickets.

Attendance is a problem in much more than college football. I think wall to wall TV coverage, inexpensive HD TVs, and other factors are bigger than playing a patsy each year.

It is a factor, but a minor one that has always been there.

Is the SEC okay with losing 5% of their attendance when TV money goes from $8 million a year per team to well over $20 million.

If we go to a system where all games are against P5 teams I'm fine with that but as long as everyone else is scheduling a beat down each year I expect us to do the same. I also just don't see the top money schools giving that up.

They also protect the major conferences from anti-trust issues.

Attendance is a problem in much more than college football. I think wall to wall TV coverage, inexpensive HD TVs, and other factors are bigger than playing a patsy each year.

It is a factor, but a minor one that has always been there.

Is the SEC okay with losing 5% of their attendance when TV money goes from $8 million a year per team to well over $20 million.

If we go to a system where all games are against P5 teams I'm fine with that but as long as everyone else is scheduling a beat down each year I expect us to do the same. I also just don't see the top money schools giving that up.

They also protect the major conferences from anti-trust issues.

The current crops of FB kids don't care about football.

It's hard to stand for two halves of football when you've just spent 36 straight hours in front of an X-box.

If true that NU is having trouble selling tickets to students and other schools are as well that's a bad sign for the future of college football. Add in the millennials financial woes and frugal behavior and the communist takeover vis a vis fūtbol and doom may be arriving.

If true that NU is having trouble selling tickets to students and other schools are as well that's a bad sign for the future of college football. Add in the millennials financial woes and frugal behavior and the communist takeover vis a vis fūtbol and doom may be arriving.
I've been kind of speculating that overall sports attendance, across the gamut, peaked in the 90's and 00's.

But you are also a pretty serious fan. Do you think that 1/2 those fans in Stincoln or Tuscalosa care that much?

I agree that I would rather see every team play a quality schedule but I don't think that is a significant factor in attendace drops.

I once did a regression model on baseball on the factors that led to higher attendance. We went through 1000s of variables wait times, cost of hot dogs, cost of beer, cost of parking, the S&P 500, quality of opponent and the only factor that was relevant was....Winning.
Better to play weaker opponents and win.

I feel bad for their fans. Not the Gasm type fan that lives his life through one game a year and rubbing my face in the periodic loss, but the C squared fan that 3/4 of their fans are. Reasonable guys that like football and love Colorado.

When he came in at CSU and went full throttle setting big goals and hiring a coaching staff from the SEC and a basketball coach that was a known name I was a bit envious and worried about what it meant for CU. He was a sharp contrast to what I saw from Bohn and the CU administration. As time passed, the economics of the grandeur of his vision were hard to grasp. As more time went on, I was worried CU would take some of the blow from the explosion that seemed to be coming.

It will be interesting where this goes. CSU is growing fast. Do they have something to tie these kids to the state and to their school?

I once did a regression model on baseball on the factors that led to higher attendance. We went through 1000s of variables wait times, cost of hot dogs, cost of beer, cost of parking, the S&P 500, quality of opponent and the only factor that was relevant was....Winning.

So I realize your model was for baseball and not college football but how does this explain the attendance "issue" at bama?

My favorite part of the recent posts on the CSU board is that their plan is:

1) New stadium
2) Get admitted to the Big 12 or Pac 12.

Lets assume for a minute that a few Pac 12 presidents would be willing to go along with CSU. Do these Lamb fans not realize CU would get that vetoed before it even had a chance. It is okay to dream but they should also try and mix in a little reality from time to time.

So I realize your model was for baseball and not college football but how does this explain the attendance "issue" at bama?

There isn't an attendance issue at Alabama. They sell out every game. People leave early all the time, whether it's because the home team is blowing out the opponent, or the other way around. This isn't a problem. It's been going on for generations.

The issue at Nebraska is more telling, IMO. Could be that the younger generation of nubs aren't as passionate about fusker football as their parents were/are.

It's also interesting that most stadium projects these days actually decrease the amount of seating in a stadium. Stanford, for example, went from an 80,000 +/- seat stadium to a 55,000 +/- stadium. The old place was cavernous. It was gigantic, and the seats were a long way from the field. The new one is tiered, with all the seats reasonably close to the field. It helps a lot, I'm sure that they are one of the best teams in the country, but the new facility is pretty nice, IMO. One thing they do at Stanford which helps, long term, is that they have a tremendous game day atmosphere. It's a pretty terrific place to watch a game.

CSU, by contrast, is well, CSU. I think a lightbulb went off in Tony Frank's head and he realized that the new stadium was either too big, or too expensive, or (more likely) both. He told Captain Jack that plans would need to be changed, and Jack went all nutty on him. Thus the "differences of opinion". I really can't see any way this can't be associated with the Stadium project. It has to be.

There isn't an attendance issue at Alabama. They sell out every game. People leave early all the time, whether it's because the home team is blowing out the opponent, or the other way around. This isn't a problem. It's been going on for generations.

The issue at Nebraska is more telling, IMO. Could be that the younger generation of nubs aren't as passionate about fusker football as their parents were/are.

Nebraska fans are a special kind of crazy, but this home schedule is garbage and i could see it being a big factor in attendance even for them.

Florida Atlantic
McNeese State
Miami (FL)
Illinois
Rutgers
Purdue
Minnesota

Did you have the Party Deck in your calculations?

Nebraska fans are a special kind of crazy, but this home schedule is garbage and i could see it being a big factor in attendance even for them.

Florida Atlantic
McNeese State
Miami (FL)
Illinois
Rutgers
Purdue
Minnesota

Woof. That's a dog of a schedule.

It's also interesting that most stadium projects these days actually decrease the amount of seating in a stadium. Stanford, for example, went from an 80,000 +/- seat stadium to a 55,000 +/- stadium. The old place was cavernous. It was gigantic, and the seats were a long way from the field. The new one is tiered, with all the seats reasonably close to the field. It helps a lot, I'm sure that they are one of the best teams in the country, but the new facility is pretty nice, IMO. One thing they do at Stanford which helps, long term, is that they have a tremendous game day atmosphere. It's a pretty terrific place to watch a game.

CSU, by contrast, is well, CSU. I think a lightbulb went off in Tony Frank's head and he realized that the new stadium was either too big, or too expensive, or (more likely) both. He told Captain Jack that plans would need to be changed, and Jack went all nutty on him. Thus the "differences of opinion". I really can't see any way this can't be associated with the Stadium project. It has to be.
​The firing had nothing to do with the stadium!!

1) New stadium

Lets assume for a minute that a few Pac 12 presidents would be willing to go along with CSU. Do these Lamb fans not realize CU would get that vetoed before it even had a chance. It is okay to dream but they should also try and mix in a little reality from time to time.

I may be wrong, but didn't Slade point out last year or the prior year that CU does not have single vote veto?

Could also be that there is no rivalry in the conference and the students just don't care now.

I feel bad for their fans. Not the Gasm type fan that lives his life through one game a year and rubbing my face in the periodic loss, but the C squared fan that 3/4 of their fans are. Reasonable guys that like football and love Colorado.

When he came in at CSU and went full throttle setting big goals and hiring a coaching staff from the SEC and a basketball coach that was a known name I was a bit envious and worried about what it meant for CU. He was a sharp contrast to what I saw from Bohn and the CU administration. As time passed, the economics of the grandeur of his vision were hard to grasp. As more time went on, I was worried CU would take some of the blow from the explosion that seemed to be coming.

It will be interesting where this goes. CSU is growing fast. Do they have something to tie these kids to the state and to their school?

seriously a little over a year ago with the whole Bohn saga it was a legitimate question as to which school was run better and doing a better job .

Any astute observer has to realize by now that in politics or public relations (and in some ways they are the same thing), the reason disclaimed for why something happened is actually the reason it did. i.e. "I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Ms. Lewinsky". You could go on and on, but in my experience, when somebody says some thing like "it isn't about the money", or "I ditched my GF, but not because she gained weight", or something like that, they usually mean the opposite, it is about the money or they dumped the chick because she ballooned up like a blimp. Same holds true here, it is about the stadium.

no one in the Pac has a single vote veto any more is my understanding.

Any team needs 9 votes to be admitted but CSU would never get there anyways. Wasn't meaning to get technical...just crazy how they think they would be attractive to either conference.

1) New stadium

I posted a month or two ago that my favorite thing about CSU fans is their eternal optimism. Nothing is ever a bad sign, everything can be turned into a positive.

At the time, having $20MM of your goal of $120MM fundraising goal, with 3 months until the deadline, meant that the stadium was right around the corner (after 2 years of fundraising).

Now, having your AD fired weeks before the start of the football season is a sure sign that a P5 invite is imminent, and the new stadium is definitely a go.... apparently Graham had to be fired for all this to happen :lol:.

I hate to admit to the schadenfreude, but watching goat fan get smacked in the kisser with the harsh reality of being little brother is amusing....

I may be wrong, but didn't Slade point out last year or the prior year that CU does not have single vote veto?

I don't think any school has a single vote veto. I do seem to recall that it only takes three schools to kill expansion, though. I actually think CU would vote to admit CSU. Why wouldn't we? We kick their ass in just about everything we play them anyway. Might as well have those be conference wins. Plus, it's an easy trip. I could actually see CU championing CSU's cause. Everybody else, save for Utah, has an in-state rival/pairing.

Back