What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU adding Fresno St. to 2011-13 football schedules

Are you going to the A&M game November 1st? A first timer for yell practice at College Station (Yell Practice on Halloween - should be wild). Any must sees or must dos for a Buff taking a road trip south?

I'm 2-1 in trips to College Station. This time around the game falls close to my daughter's birthday, so I'll be ducking out of the eATMe game this time around. I have my sites on KU in Lawrence and UT in Boulder. Maybe I'll pick up a third plus the CCG and bowl game if we are so blessed.

Honestly, my favorite thing about the Aggie experience is just taking in the maddness that is Aggie football. Yell Leaders, Jack Boots, Gig 'em, humping, 12th man. They have some wild traditions that really need to be witnessed to be believed. Book early.Hotels fill up fast. Fly into Houston. Play a round of Golf on Friday on Friday if that's your thing. Take time to check out the campus and the GHW Bush Pres Library and talk to the locals.

The only restaurant I remember enjoying was a fast food place called 'Chicken Express' Good stuff. If you want to stay out late, then Dixie Chicken is the marquee watering hole. Maybe you'll get lucky and actually engage in a satisfying conversation with an Aggie, but just don't count on it. My favorite unsolicited comment was 'we don't like anything with horns.' Aggie is so focused on Texas hating that they kinda have blinders on when it comes to welcoming and hosting other opponents.

I suspect that the CU-Texas alumni groups will host a pre-game party with beer and BBQ. I'll post details once they are available in the tailgate section.

I'm 2-1 in trips to College Station. This time around the game falls close to my daughter's birthday, so I'll be ducking out of the eATMe game this time around. I have my sites on KU in Lawrence and UT in Boulder. Maybe I'll pick up a third plus the CCG and bowl game if we are so blessed.

Honestly, my favorite thing about the Aggie experience is just taking in the maddness that is Aggie football. Yell Leaders, Jack Boots, Gig 'em, humping, 12th man. They have some wild traditions that really need to be witnessed to be believed. Book early.Hotels fill up fast. Fly into Houston. Play a round of Golf on Friday on Friday if that's your thing. Take time to check out the campus and the GHW Bush Pres Library and talk to the locals.

The only restaurant I remember enjoying was a fast food place called 'Chicken Express' Good stuff. If you want to stay out late, then Dixie Chicken is the marquee watering hole. Maybe you'll get lucky and actually engage in a satisfying conversation with an Aggie, but just don't count on it. My favorite unsolicited comment was 'we don't like anything with horns.' Aggie is so focused on Texas hating that they kinda have blinders on when it comes to welcoming and hosting other opponents.

I suspect that the CU-Texas alumni groups will host a pre-game party with beer and BBQ. I'll post details once they are available in the tailgate section.

Thank you for the info. We have folks to stay with in the Houston area, but will probably travel with the alumni group to and from College Station. We went on the alumni charter to the Georgia game, and they did a good job of getting us around. Being a big fan of college football in general, I am really looking forward to College Station. I went to one of the yell practices they had in Denver a few years back - amazing stuff. Wish they'd bring the band back to Boulder. I think the Corps band is the only one I've ever seen get a standing ovation at Folsom.
I think the game will be a good one - both teams have potential; both have questions. November 1st is a ways off. Will know a lot more by then!
Go Buffs!

Wanna trade your 700 miler from Montana with my 900 miler from Dallas?
Compaired to OKC/Wichita/Salina/Limon or Amarillo/Dumas, eastern WYO would be a welcome change. But then again with DFW/DIA under $300RT, why drive?
Better book that flight now....airline tickets are about to go through the roof.

Thank you for the info. We have folks to stay with in the Houston area, but will probably travel with the alumni group to and from College Station. We went on the alumni charter to the Georgia game, and they did a good job of getting us around. Being a big fan of college football in general, I am really looking forward to College Station. I went to one of the yell practices they had in Denver a few years back - amazing stuff. Wish they'd bring the band back to Boulder. I think the Corps band is the only one I've ever seen get a standing ovation at Folsom.
I think the game will be a good one - both teams have potential; both have questions. November 1st is a ways off. Will know a lot more by then!
Go Buffs!

I have to warn you. Of the 9 B12 stadiums I been lucky enough to catch a Buffs game, the College Station experience ranks near the bottom of the list, only ahead of KSU/Manhattan.

This is based on hotel accomodations, post-game bar scene, quality of nearby restaurants, and general temperment of the fans towards color wearing Buffs fans when wondering around campus. When CU wins, it's tough to get eye contact, let alone a 'good game'. It's more like ATM screwed up.

And when CU loses, it's a little easier to share a beer, but don't expect any humility. The traditions are so deep that 'cult-like' is the best I can do to describe it. If things get heated, just mention something nasty about UT and you'll see Aggie's true colors, as Longhorn hating is part of the Aggie DNA to the point of obsession.

But don't worry. You'll have fun. The CU contengent will be atleast 600 strong and there's plenty of CU bonding to be done.

Bit of a bummer was defiantly looking forward to the game or at least the idea of looking forward to the game. The schedule was pretty brutal and still is deadly, but I think for our potential future team of '11 it would have just been "tough." But yea ASU kinda screwed us over and a 2-1 against a pretty decent team makes more sense than LSU 1-1 and paying for a Championship Series team to travel to Boulder.

The key point in business is to keep your customers happy. Some fans want to maximize the W-L record even if that means loading up on cupcakes. Some fans want attractive matchups at home. Some want attractive road destinations. Some want CSU every year. Others don't. At the end of the day, this is about entertainment dollars coming into the athletic department.

The problem that I see here is that there are 2 sets of "customers" that CU needs to keep happy and you are assuming that this decision offends both or the majority of either.

The 2 sets of customers that I am referring to are 1. Alumni and donors, 2. Recruits. CU traditionally recruits heavily in California, and while Fresno isn't a recruiting hotbed they are in a conference with ESPN contracts. This more than likely guarantees great exposure to all of California in a time slot that while crap to you is probably pretty good for the Cali recruits.

While LSU would have been a fun road trip and great exposure if we won, the majority of CU alumns and boosters live in or west of Colorado with a huge group in California. A game against Fresno guaranteed to be televised in California will likely be seen by more CU alumni than LSU which might not be the national game and thus not be seen in Cali do to the abundance of local regional choices.

I love the idea of playing LSU but this move makes the business sense that you suggest it misses.

While LSU would have been a fun road trip and great exposure if we won, the majority of CU alumns and boosters live in or west of Colorado with a huge group in California. A game against Fresno guaranteed to be televised in California will likely be seen by more CU alumni than LSU which might not be the national game and thus not be seen in Cali do to the abundance of local regional choices.

The argument that the majority of alumni "Live in or west of Colorado with a huge group in California" is a head scratcher. I'd argue that the majority of alumni live in or east of Colorado with a huge group that live outside the state of California.

I was poking around the net, but haven't found the geographical distribution of alumni, or alumni boosters. I'd also be curious about the correlation of donations based on TV exposure and the location of OOC games. Without such information, the arguments around economics are purely speculative.

So while we're speculating, I'd speculate that most Californians rent because property is too expensive in Cali, and those who own are morgaged up to their eyeballs. The cost of living in California makes alumni donors cheapskates relative to alumni from other parts of the country. Therefore, the parents of California recruits require that the University of Colorado provide bank jobs in Boulder and/or stolen cable in California to watch the Fresno game on ESPN during those prized TV slots. And even with the pirated cable, this very huge group of Californians that "justify" FresNO State bumping LSU are working two jobs, stuck in traffic, and come from families of bandwaggon fans that only watch the Lakers/Dodgers when they are winning. All the prized recruits from California, and their highschool coaches come from San Diego, Orange County and LA. These people consider Fresno and the Central Valley to be more foreign than Tijuana or Las Vegas, which means that more California kids will be playing the EA Sports NCAA 2011 edition video game instead. And EA Sports, who understands a good matchup, will allow these California recruits to have the Buffs play the LSU Tigers, because only a moron would waste any time playing FresNO state on that video game, let alone watch that train wreck.

The argument that the majority of alumni "Live in or west of Colorado with a huge group in California" is a head scratcher. I'd argue that the majority of alumni live in or east of Colorado with a huge group that live outside the state of California.

I was poking around the net, but haven't found the geographical distribution of alumni, or alumni boosters. I'd also be curious about the correlation of donations based on TV exposure and the location of OOC games. Without such information, the arguments around economics are purely speculative.

So while we're speculating, I'd speculate that most Californians rent because property is too expensive in Cali, and those who own are morgaged up to their eyeballs. The cost of living in California makes alumni donors cheapskates relative to alumni from other parts of the country. Therefore, the parents of California recruits require that the University of Colorado provide bank jobs in Boulder and/or stolen cable in California to watch the Fresno game on ESPN during those prized TV slots. And even with the pirated cable, this very huge group of Californians that "justify" FresNO State bumping LSU are working two jobs, stuck in traffic, and come from families of bandwaggon fans that only watch the Lakers/Dodgers when they are winning. All the prized recruits from California, and their highschool coaches come from San Diego, Orange County and LA. These people consider Fresno and the Central Valley to be more foreign than Tijuana or Las Vegas, which means that more California kids will be playing the EA Sports NCAA 2011 edition video game instead. And EA Sports, who understands a good matchup, will allow these California recruits to have the Buffs play the LSU Tigers, because only a moron would waste any time playing FresNO state on that video game, let alone watch that train wreck.

We're talking 3 years from now. Fresno St may be a top 25 team. They've been ranked more in the past few years than CU. I hope we're both ranked heading in so all of the MORONS/recruits pay attention to the train wreck at prime time. I am also a gamer and I use the lower/midmajor schools and build them into powerhouses and move to the next program. So not only would I play Fresno St I use them. I guess that make me a MORON:huh:

We're talking 3 years from now. Fresno St may be a top 25 team. They've been ranked more in the past few years than CU. I hope we're both ranked heading in so all of the MORONS/recruits pay attention to the train wreck at prime time. I am also a gamer and I use the lower/midmajor schools and build them into powerhouses and move to the next program. So not only would I play Fresno St I use them. I guess that make me a MORON:huh:

That's a GREAT point. Essentially CU has traded one ranked team for another. The whole mid-major arguement is now on it's head.

godogs.jpg

or

lsu-paint.jpg

I seem to remember talk from the athletic department after Bohn came on board that the largest group of CU alums outside of Colorado is California. This was about the time that Bohn did the California booster stops. Even so, I think booster consideration came second to recruiting.

Am I the only one thinking that that girl is really not that hot?

I think you need to take her willingness to do something like that into account when tabulating her total hotness. Yeah, the body and face score a solid but unspectacular 7.5, but the walking around half naked in support of a football team bumps her up to at least a 10, possibly even a 12. :thumbsup:

Am I the only one thinking that that girl is really not that hot?

Look, don't take my joke away on some technicality.

You see, there's this topless, dirty girl, and someone yells, "damn you Bohn".

I concur that she's not nearly up to the standard of what CU attracts (and frankly, the SEC does a nice job of filling their stadiums with some remarkable talent--this whole "objectification of the sexual object" thing appears to be a slippery slope on which I'm gathering some momentum)...

BUT

she looks a heck of lot better than those FSU fans...and really comparison is the only real standard for an argument.

I think you need to take her willingness to do something like that into account when tabulating her total hotness. Yeah, the body and face score a solid but unspectacular 7.5, but the walking around half naked in support of a football team bumps her up to at least a 10, possibly even a 12. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the Timothy Hutton quote.

Look, don't take my joke away on some technicality.

You see, there's this topless, dirty girl, and someone yells, "damn you Bohn".

I concur that she's not nearly up to the standard of what CU attracts (and frankly, the SEC does a nice job of filling their stadiums with some remarkable talent--this whole "objectification of the sexual object" thing appears to be a slippery slope on which I'm gathering some momentum)...

BUT

she looks a heck of lot better than those FSU fans...and really comparison is the only real standard for an argument.

Fair enough.

Back