What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Buffs hire former Minnesota OC Mike Sanford as their new OC

Quit crying, all you people. You sound like denizens of the Fusker Fan Forums, which is most unseemly indeed.

Last edited:
He worked for Stanford, twice.
Okay, he's been fired or has left 10 times in 16 years, including twice from Stanford (once as an OA). Put that on your resume in any profession and you won't get hired (if leadership is reasonably bright). He is a straight bum and his record shows this.
You can burn a candle for him and sing kumbaya, but for reasonable level headed folks, they understand this is a disaster on top of an already dismal staff and program.

This hiring of Mike Sanford simply reinforces that Karl Dorrell is a loser as a head football coach at this level. He simply lacks the skills to be successful, with a serious lack of skills with media and charisma. He’s also a lazy recruiter. And Rick George has become a coward, putting his career ahead off the interests of the football program. This is now a toxic program thanks to the these two, along with Lance Carl. They all need to be gone yesterday.

Seems like everyone is uninspired by this hire but there are a things to ponder:

1. We have spent time trying to develop Chev to be an OC and it failed. Hiring an unproven & young coach would be a regression from where we were with Chev. Perhaps the smart thing would be to hire a veteran coach as the OC. Anyone recall how we moved the ball under Tucker? Vet OC he hired and how did that Michigan State O do this season?

2. Minnesota was 25th in third down percentage this recent season. Maybe that is from kicking the snot out of the Buffs in Boulder but that is a necessary thing in the Big Ten and that is converting third downs & keeping the defense off the field.

I would have loved to have had Marion and that GoGo offense because I’m an option guy through and through.

I think this means HCKD has to win next season or he’s gone after next season. Scott Frost hired a good OC for precisely the same reason.

Dude is a savant and legit one of the more underappreciated offensive minds in the game. What became very clear from researching him: many of the cool kid/big name/hip offensive coaches run a bunch of his plays in big spots. If this smoke about Marion wanting the job and being passed over for a below mediocre young retread is true, that should be nail in the coffin stuff for support of Dorrell and George.
So brilliant Pitt sees firsthand and won’t name him OC…..but I’m sure you see what they don’t.

What blows is watching Northern Illinois, our easy-win back in the 90's during non-conference play, have better O-line play. Oh, and they go to bowl games now too.
Mike Sanford. Talk about failing up and ****ing up in the same hire. ****.

What blows is watching Northern Illinois, our easy-win back in the 90's during non-conference play, have better O-line play. Oh, and they go to bowl games now too.
Mike Sanford. Talk about failing up and ****ing up in the same hire. ****.
We didn’t play Northern Illinois in the 90s. I am not aware of CU ever playing them in football. Your point stands though. I watched a mediocre Utah State team a couple of times this year and was jealous of how easily they moved the ball on offense and how exciting their brand of football was.

I get some of it, but people are absolutely overreacting.

You can point out patterns and trends all you want, but the sample size is small, the guy is still young, and at any rate, I believe he'll be a big step up over Chev.

How often do you see coaches that are amazing at one place go on to suck somewhere else??

Success/Failure is not as easy to predict as we like to pretend it is. The program is in a bad state and piling on the negativity in regards to a guy who hasn't even coached a game here yet is pointless.
You think the sample size of three consecutive horrible performances is small for an offensive coordinator? Chev is not the baseline. If you’re stuck comparing anyone to Chev, most will look favorably. That doesn’t mean that you should hire them. You hire people who have demonstrated success. If they fail with you, you move on. He failed the first criterion already.

I welcome Coach Sanford and will withhold judgment until we see him coach and call plays. We are and should be a running team, and if he can add BLew to the run game, then use play action to set up some downfield shots, then we can be very good. The staff got better today, period. What if he is actually just the OC, Langsdorf stayed on QB and passing game coordinator, and Dorrell himself coached the WR's?
If all that happened the offense still sucks..it's like rearranging deck chairs on the titanic!!...none of the coaches we had last year was worth a crap, offense or defense and they all should've been canned!!! No coach goes from being a failure at every stop, dragging the offense down, turning nfl caliber qbs into garbage,then suddenly becomes great...you can either teach and coach or you can't...none of this staff can teach, recruit or coach...you all skewered embree when they were running qb sneaks on first down, well prepare for more of that!!... Minnesotas offense ranked 98ththis season...with a veteran ol and qbs....this guy and the whole staff is hot garbage, if I were any player on this team I'd seriously be looking at the portal right now. Reality is gonna hit hard this season and ,while I'm no Chev fan, I think he will be looking like a tbone steak to a starving man after this s***show of a season upcoming

Seems like everyone is uninspired by this hire but there are a things to ponder:

1. We have spent time trying to develop Chev to be an OC and it failed. Hiring an unproven & young coach would be a regression from where we were with Chev. Perhaps the smart thing would be to hire a veteran coach as the OC. Anyone recall how we moved the ball under Tucker? Vet OC he hired and how did that Michigan State O do this season?

2. Minnesota was 25th in third down percentage this recent season. Maybe that is from kicking the snot out of the Buffs in Boulder but that is a necessary thing in the Big Ten and that is converting third downs & keeping the defense off the field.

I would have loved to have had Marion and that GoGo offense because I’m an option guy through and through.

I think this means HCKD has to win next season or he’s gone after next season. Scott Frost hired a good OC for precisely the same reason.
It wasn't a binary choice. We've been told there were 3 finalists. I don't know who the other 2 were. The guy I was most interested in was Sowder.

I seriously doubt that Sowder was interested in joining a HC who has his paws all over the offense, and is entering year 3 clearly on the hot seat, and perhaps only still here because CU is financially tied.
That's the thing.

I woke up this morning and realized that I was basing my hope on the idea that KD was self-aware enough to know that he was never a great offensive coordinator and that the game has evolved a lot since he was mediocre. That this self-awareness would lead him to bring in someone with fresh ideas in order to inject some life - to take a risk that could have a huge reward.

But KD is who he is. And he believes in it strongly. There is absolutely a vision. That vision is to become very similar to what we see from Stanford under Shaw.

Was thinking about the last few years. RG hired a new coach who was loved by his departing program (one of the best in the country) and by some of the most successful college coaches in history. Fast forward to today, where we see RG hiring an OC who has failed in his last three stops, was fired a month ago for horrible performance, and is despised by a mid tier B10 program’s fan base. Pretty shocking that RG has let it come to this. At least the couple of donors I have communicated with have complete confidence in RG and KD.

1639836997408.gif

Back