What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Buffs hire former Minnesota OC Mike Sanford as their new OC

More than the company has ever paid a CEO in it's existence. $3.2 million a year but not sure why that matters. It's your career and your own company on the line.
I would probably go with the guy with experience. If you have held stocks for any period of time, you should be amazed at how may CEO and upper level management get recycled, even after multiple failures.

Going high risk is not HCKD. Going with a guy who has never, not even once, been a OC at a P5 program is an upgrade over Chev because he can put together a snazzy youtube video? How do you know Pitt's success isn't because of their OC and Marion is self promoting himself as the WR coach power behind the OC throne? Are we really to believe Whipple left for NU because Marion is all that and a bag of chips? Why isn't Marion the OC at Pitt then?

Sanford may be a dud, but to me, given he is an experienced OC, he cannot be worse. He ran circles around CU in September, in their bowl game last year they posted nearly 500 yards of O. So I do not buy the narrative he is somehow terrible, not an upgrade over Chev and inferior to a WR coach, and that the conclusion is unassailable.

When Sanford was OC, the teams he coached for went to bowls 6 out of 7 times, if I count correctly. I heard people blather on and on about how CU needed a run first identity, now you get it and all you can do is pine for a position coach to be OC. Amazing.

Bottom line, there are way to many unknowns to know one way or the other right now. Unless and until CU gets a competent OL, none of this really matters.

I would probably go with the guy with experience. If you have held stocks for any period of time, you should be amazed at how may CEO and upper level management get recycled, even after multiple failures.

Going high risk is not HCKD. Going with a guy who has never, not even once, been a OC at a P5 program is an upgrade over Chev because he can put together a snazzy youtube video? How do you know Pitt's success isn't because of their OC and Marion is self promoting himself as the WR coach power behind the OC throne? Are we really to believe Whipple left for NU because Marion is all that and a bag of chips? Why isn't Marion the OC at Pitt then?

Sanford may be a dud, but to me, given he is an experienced OC, he cannot be worse. He ran circles around CU in September, in their bowl game last year they posted nearly 500 yards of O. So I do not buy the narrative he is somehow terrible, not an upgrade over Chev and inferior to a WR coach, and that the conclusion is unassailable.

When Sanford was OC, the teams he coached for went to bowls 6 out of 7 times, if I count correctly. I heard people blather on and on about how CU needed a run first identity, now you get it and all you can do is pine for a position coach to be OC. Amazing.

Bottom line, there are way to many unknowns to know one way or the other right now. Unless and until CU gets a competent OL, none of this really matters.
You invest in companies whose C-suite employees tanked the stock prices of their three previous companies?

GREAT investment advice!

This OC situation with Minnesota is perplexing as well.

- Kirk Ciarrocca was their OC.
- He leaves for Penn State.
- Minn hires Sanford.
- Penn State fires Kirk Ciarrocca after one season.
- Minn fires Sanford
- Minn re-hires Kirk Ciarrocca as OC

We are sitting here bitching about hiring an OC that was fired. Yet Minn replaced that dude with a dude that was just fired.
Bizarro world.

This OC situation with Minnesota is perplexing as well.

- Kirk Ciarrocca was their OC.
- He leaves for Penn State.
- Minn hires Sanford.
- Penn State fires Kirk Ciarrocca after one season.
- Minn fires Sanford
- Minn re-hires Kirk Ciarrocca as OC

We are sitting here bitching about hiring an OC that was fired. Yet Minn replaced that dude with a dude that was just fired.
Bizarro world.
Ciarrocca was with Fleck for like 6 years and by all accounts Gopher fans liked him and were bummed when he took the PSU job after a 10-2 season with Minny. He was fired from PSU a year ago. This is more about bringing back a guy that most Minnesota fans probably wish hadn’t left in the first place.

Last edited:
Ciarrocca was with Fleck for like 6 years and by all accounts Gooher fans liked him and were bummed when he took the PSU job after a 10-2 season with Minny. He was fired from PSU a year ago. This is more about bringing back a guy that most Minnesota fans probably wish hadn’t left in the first place.
Yep. Can't underestimate the importance of chemistry between a HC and OC. They had a ton of success together.

i intended to do a driveby and never come back with the oc news but i found the reaction humorous and heres a bit of background on what to expect.

cu job is tough. i know quite of few coaches who are being advised by their agents to not take this job (lame duck coach) so that limits the hiring pool to retreads and unknowns.

fleck was all over the offense the last two years. he did not have the same trust in sanford after ciarrocca. i'm not sure if judging his offense over the last two years is fair.

you can judge what to expect by who is named passing coordinator. again this person is going to be an unknown but the offense should be a more modernized college offense. rpo heavy, spread, no huddles, etc

no idea if it will come together on the field to get you guys turned around. good luck.

i intended to do a driveby and never come back with the oc news but i found the reaction humorous and heres a bit of background on what to expect.

cu job is tough. i know quite of few coaches who are being advised by their agents to not take this job (lame duck coach) so that limits the hiring pool to retreads and unknowns.

fleck was all over the offense the last two years. he did not have the same trust in sanford after ciarrocca. i'm not sure if judging his offense over the last two years is fair.

you can judge what to expect by who is named passing coordinator. again this person is going to be an unknown but the offense should be a more modernized college offense. rpo heavy, spread, no huddles, etc

no idea if it will come together on the field to get you guys turned around. good luck.
Thanks.

Bottom line is that people don't want to entrust their future to being attached to Dorrell's coattails, so we hired a guy who was just fired since this was the only job of this caliber he could get.

My guess is that Cabral owed Sanford's dad a solid & put in a good word to get this ball rolling.

Please Stay Come Back GIF by reactionseditor

One thing I will say. I'm not sure I've seen the CU fan base in total agreement with their feelings towards, RG, KD, and this football program.

This hire tells me KD is unwilling to think outside what he knows and go with something he is unfamiliar with. You flat can't do that in today's college football. It is changing too much. I'll remain hopeful as Sanford is a good recruiter, but the improvements we will see on offense will be mostly because there is literally no way to go but up.

I still maintain that nothing changes with the athletics department until the new President is hired and demands excellence in all facets and that includes the athletics department.

I feel like you didn’t actually read my post as I addressed how Marion isn’t a guarantee. I also never said Sanford isn’t an upgrade over Chev, that’s damn near impossible with how bad Chev was. There is a very consistent track record with Sanford. His offenses regress. There is not a track record with Marion, but he shows more promise. It’s the higher ceiling, lower floor condundrum. But if you’re going to hire the CFO that almost certainly will tank your company, based on historical output, I guess I can’t argue with that. It’s a terrible investment and hiring decision.

I also never said that I wanted this pass offense to be pass heavy. I want innovative, potential, and exciting. The way Marion’s offense would run the ball, that’s all 3 of those things and I wouldn’t care if he ran it 99% of the time if it worked.

Lastly there are only unknowns on one side of this equation. Marion. Sanford is a known trash coordinator.

Season 1 GIF by NETFLIX

To be fair, all we have left is humor

So I did a little more digging on his time at Western Kentucky.

In 2016, the year before he got there, WKU finished 16th in the F+ advanced stats ranking under Jeff Brohm. They had some heavy graduation and slipped all the way down to 101st the next year. It was the single largest drop in F+ that season. The next year they fell even farther to 113th. Sanford was fired and Tyson Helton brought them back up to 82nd, 95th, and 38th.

His tenure wasn't regression. It was an immediate and catastrophic collapse.

Year - F+ - Coach
2012 - 75 - Taggert
2013 - 79 - Petrino
2014 - 72 - Brohm
2015 - 28 - Brohm
2016 - 16 - Brohm
2017 - 101 - Sanford
2018 - 113 - Sanford

2019 - 82 - Helton
2020 - 95 - Helton
2021 - 38 - Helton

So I did a little more digging on his time at Western Kentucky.

In 2016, the year before he got there, WKU finished 16th in the F+ advanced stats ranking under Jeff Brohm. They had some heavy graduation and slipped all the way down to 101st the next year. It was the single largest drop in F+ that season. The next year they fell even farther to 113th. Sanford was fired and Tyson Helton brought them back up to 82nd, 95th, and 38th.

His tenure wasn't regression. It was an immediate and catastrophic collapse.

Year - F+ - Coach
2012 - 75 - Taggert
2013 - 79 - Petrino
2014 - 72 - Brohm
2015 - 28 - Brohm
2016 - 16 - Brohm
2017 - 101 - Sanford
2018 - 113 - Sanford

2019 - 82 - Helton
2020 - 95 - Helton
2021 - 38 - Helton
If any of you are curious about WKU’s Offensive F+ versus Defensive F+ in 2017 and 2018, I advise that you don’t go look up that stat.

Our AD promised a splash hire - didn't happen.
Our Coach said he hires good coaches - Sanford's history doesn't suggest he's a good coach (recruiter, maybe).
And now you're saying we should withhold judgement until we know who the passing game coordinator is going to be? Really?
Should we also wait to see if we have Bobby Boucher on the roster this year?

Our AD promised a splash hire - didn't happen.
Our Coach said he hires good coaches - Sanford's history doesn't suggest he's a good coach (recruiter, maybe).
And now you're saying we should withhold judgement until we know who the passing game coordinator is going to be? Really?
Should we also wait to see if we have Bobby Boucher on the roster this year?
Don't talk to iheart like that.

There has to be an evil genious behind the destruction of CU football over the last 20+ years. Too many "good" people have tried to fix it but the results are always the same.
I feel for the players and fans who actually care.

Back