What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Buffs hire former Minnesota OC Mike Sanford as their new OC

So I did a little more digging on his time at Western Kentucky.

In 2016, the year before he got there, WKU finished 16th in the F+ advanced stats ranking under Jeff Brohm. They had some heavy graduation and slipped all the way down to 101st the next year. It was the single largest drop in F+ that season. The next year they fell even farther to 113th. Sanford was fired and Tyson Helton brought them back up to 82nd, 95th, and 38th.

His tenure wasn't regression. It was an immediate and catastrophic collapse.

Year - F+ - Coach
2012 - 75 - Taggert
2013 - 79 - Petrino
2014 - 72 - Brohm
2015 - 28 - Brohm
2016 - 16 - Brohm
2017 - 101 - Sanford
2018 - 113 - Sanford

2019 - 82 - Helton
2020 - 95 - Helton
2021 - 38 - Helton
I look at that and think 2016 must’ve been senior laden and ‘17 ‘18 were young classes.

This OC situation with Minnesota is perplexing as well.

- Kirk Ciarrocca was their OC.
- He leaves for Penn State.
- Minn hires Sanford.
- Penn State fires Kirk Ciarrocca after one season.
- Minn fires Sanford
- Minn re-hires Kirk Ciarrocca as OC

We are sitting here bitching about hiring an OC that was fired. Yet Minn replaced that dude with a dude that was just fired.
Bizarro world.
Straight from Gopher fans: Ciarocca and Fleck are tight and players and fans alike liked the duo. They were bummed when he left. They are extremely excited to have him back. None of them like Sanfords offense very much but didn’t complain because they were winning.

i intended to do a driveby and never come back with the oc news but i found the reaction humorous and heres a bit of background on what to expect.

cu job is tough. i know quite of few coaches who are being advised by their agents to not take this job (lame duck coach) so that limits the hiring pool to retreads and unknowns.

fleck was all over the offense the last two years. he did not have the same trust in sanford after ciarrocca. i'm not sure if judging his offense over the last two years is fair.

you can judge what to expect by who is named passing coordinator. again this person is going to be an unknown but the offense should be a more modernized college offense. rpo heavy, spread, no huddles, etc

no idea if it will come together on the field to get you guys turned around. good luck.
Thanks Mrs. Sanford!

Shovel our driveway? It doesnt snow here in Colorado. I will take the food though.
Food? No! Hot Dish!

frances mcdormand fargo GIF

Back