What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

eric cartman letter GIF by South Park

Compelling sample size. Say more.

Don't think that any further comment on that would be more compelling than the debate about how CSU could own Denver instead of CU.

Given the history of CSU fan attendance at home football games over the years, the PAC is a good fit for them.

100% I would prefer ESPN+. I love it for the Avs (being out of market). That said, I am guessing that appleTV could operate the same as ESPN+ to where it ends up being a wash. At some point though with most people moving to streaming services (youtubeTV, Hulu, amazon prime for TNF) there's going to have to be a breaking point where there's a platform that you can "switch" channels between the Apps.
The smart TVs and streaming devices (Roku, Chromecast, etc.) just need to become able to stream multiple apps in the background so that you can switch between them without having to restart the program/channel you want within the app. The time it takes to change from one app to another is no different than changing channels on cable or, especially, a dish. It might make the smart TVs cost a little more or require a separate box that has more memory capacity to buffer multiple streams, but it seems like people would be happy to pay for it.

The smart TVs and streaming devices (Roku, Chromecast, etc.) just need to become able to stream multiple apps in the background so that you can switch between them without having to restart the program/channel you want within the app. The time it takes to change from one app to another is no different than changing channels on cable or, especially, a dish. It might make the smart TVs cost a little more or require a separate box that has more memory capacity to buffer multiple streams, but it seems like people would be happy to pay for it.
Technology that turns multiple apps into a tv guide layout. Someone should ask ChatGPT to create the code for this and it will be done in about 15s. Doesn’t sound that hard.

I have wanted to see CU play BYU in football for a long time since I started rooting for the Buffs the year after CU last played BYU. I'd warn you to not expect any warm greetings from a good number of the CU fanbase when those two meet in football given the cultural, social, and political differences between the two but aren't you used to that with the red heads from Salt Lake City? At least we would hate the color red equally. Being different from the other fanbases in the Big 12 had its own draw and that really went away when we joined the Pac-12. That is why I told the Pac-12 fanbases that the Pac-12 ought to add BYU because it would be similar to what Nebraska brought to the Big 12.

Going independent took some guts from BYU and it paid off in the form of that Big 12 invitation. Hope you are ready for that step up in competition that Big 12 basketball has to offer too but given your history in that sport, I think you will do just fine.
BYU and Colorado may have the chance to play regularly, or maybe not. It will be interesting to see what unfolds. As for your warning, I appreciate that and have had a refresher already on this thread, which is mild, compared to several stadiums that I've visited as a fan. I tend to take it in stride and fully expect that a visit to Folsom Field, if CU ends up back in the Big-12, will be no worse than Utah, probably better. Fact is, I've been to War Memorial Stadium in Laramie and had a wonderful time, great fans, so, to some degree, one's experience is influenced by one's attitude. I've visited CU previously, as a potential grad student, and enjoyed the campus immensely.

BYU's 11 year sojourn in the independence wilderness was indeed fraught with risks but has worked out well. I hope CU's road ahead has similar good success.

BYU fans are like zombies who talk about themselves even though no one asked. They show up and rattle off BYU history like it’s an interesting topic. Everyone needs a cup of coffee to wake up afterwards.

"Land Grant" does not equal "Agricultural" nor does it mean "State" university. Everyone on either side of this discussion is wrong.
It's such florid jibberish, befitting 1862:

"[...] and the interest of which shall be inviolably appropriated, by each State which may take and claim the benefit of this act, to the endowment, support, and maintenance of at least one college where the leading object shall be, without excluding other scientific and classical studies, and including military tactics, to teach such branches of learning as are related to agriculture and the mechanic arts, in such manner as the legislatures of the States may respectively prescribe, in order to promote the liberal and practical education of the industrial classes in the several pursuits and professions in life."

Gov gave the states land, states get to use the land and resulting profits to set up schools; schools have to offer A&M classes, but it's up to the states how that's all set up.

Yale was considered LG, for a time, till Conn created UCONN. Illinois is LG, rather that ISU. You don't *only* have to offer A&M studies, or even prioritize it. And it's left up to the states for the naming convention. Kentucky, Mizzou, Wisconsin are all examples of non-"State" LGs. Most states have more than one.

Are you sure you know what you are talking about since the ag school for AZ isn't located in Tempe?

View attachment 60623View attachment 60624View attachment 60625View attachment 60626
I'm struggling with 'flagship' being applied to CSU. not trying to be snarky, but is that a well defined objective term? I always understood it to be a subjective understanding of "best public college in the state" and can't imagine anyone thinking it's CSU.

I might enterain a discusison if someone wanted to argue for CSM, but everyone knows CU is the flagship here.

BYU and Colorado may have the chance to play regularly, or maybe not. It will be interesting to see what unfolds. As for your warning, I appreciate that and have had a refresher already on this thread, which is mild, compared to several stadiums that I've visited as a fan. I tend to take it in stride and fully expect that a visit to Folsom Field, if CU ends up back in the Big-12, will be no worse than Utah, probably better. Fact is, I've been to War Memorial Stadium in Laramie and had a wonderful time, great fans, so, to some degree, one's experience is influenced by one's attitude. I've visited CU previously, as a potential grad student, and enjoyed the campus immensely.

BYU's 11 year sojourn in the independence wilderness was indeed fraught with risks but has worked out well. I hope CU's road ahead has similar good success.
I've visited 12 different D1 stadiums as a visiting fan, wearing the away team's colors and rooting loudly for my team (VT,CU, Wisconsin). Attending the Wisconsin game at LaVell Edwards Stadium was the best I was ever treated as a visiting fan -- very distant 2nd would be Duke as a VT fan.

I really hope BYU fans get that back when they travel. IMO, you guys destroy Nebraska in the category of "classiest fans".

It's such florid jibberish, befitting 1862:

"[...] and the interest of which shall be inviolably appropriated, by each State which may take and claim the benefit of this act, to the endowment, support, and maintenance of at least one college where the leading object shall be, without excluding other scientific and classical studies, and including military tactics, to teach such branches of learning as are related to agriculture and the mechanic arts, in such manner as the legislatures of the States may respectively prescribe, in order to promote the liberal and practical education of the industrial classes in the several pursuits and professions in life."

Gov gave the states land, states get to use the land and resulting profits to set up schools; schools have to offer A&M classes, but it's up to the states how that's all set up.

Yale was considered LG, for a time, till Conn created UCONN. Illinois is LG, rather that ISU. You don't *only* have to offer A&M studies, or even prioritize it. And it's left up to the states for the naming convention. Kentucky, Mizzou, Wisconsin are all examples of non-"State" LGs. Most states have more than one.

👆 This!

UCLA is a LG school and so is Cal.

With the departure of UCLA, the P12 is down to WSU, OSU, Cal, and UA as LG schools in the Pac-12. Big 12 used to have half LG schools and public research schools. Now they have four and Arizona would make it five schools.

SEC has nine LG schools and the B1G will have 11 once UCLA joins next year. ACC just has three (Clemson, NCSU, and VT).

👆 This!

With the departure of UCLA, the P12 is down to WSU, OSU, Cal, and UA as LG schools in the Pac-12. Big 12 used to have half LG schools and public research schools. Now they have four and Arizona would make it five schools.

SEC has nine LG schools and the B1G will have 11 once UCLA joins next year. ACC just has three (Clemson, NCSU, and VT).
And yet, none of that matters at all.

👆 This!

The model for the B1G was public land grant universities with high intensity research focused on medicine, hard sciences and engineering. They have moved away from the public land grant part being as much a part of their cultural profile.

Edit: why did I post into this discussion? Shame on me.

You would have thought this thread would have a shorter shelf life than that fake nacho cheese stuff in metal cans.
Can we dissect this sentence?

Are you saying this thread:

(1) has a longer life than nacho cheese;
(2) has a long life, but not as long as nacho cheese; or
(3) has a life that is shorter than nacho cheese (which could be either really short or really long)?

Hopefully we will get actual news on the P12 media rights. Something is going to have to give since June 30th is 59 days away.

And yes this is another layer that goes into this:

R.f59dbf71ada870271ead4c2bcd619b2f

I'm done with this thread for at least a week or two. 💩

Back