What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

We are a year away from bordering a SEC state in Oklahoma. That technically means CU could go to the B1G, Big 12, or SEC if they decide to leave the Pac. But given the CFP changes, what's the point of making that move if there is going to be an easier road in the P12 post USC & UCLA?
Another way to put it, CU is the only school that borders Pac-12, SEC, B1G and B12 because we’re all about posting geography W’s.

Serious question, why would we go to the BIG12 with only one other of the corner schools? Presumably if we’re making the move, the PAC is dissolving and ASU and Utah will have no where else to go. Both seem like infinitely better brands than UNLV.

The Big 12 isn't going to be so bad because we won't have OU & UT dominating the politics of the Big 12. The reason why I'm warming up to staying in the PAC is the easier road to the CFP as it appears to me. But will the Big 12 be more like C-USA 3.0 where the AAC is C-USA 2.0 and the actual C-USA is C-USA 1.0?

Assuming CSU replaces CU in the Pac-12, could the Ram fans make the argument that they are in the more prestigious conference? I think letting CSU go to the Big 12 and CU staying in the PAC could be the best option going forward.

At least we will have ESPN+ in the Big 12. If not, there's Apple TV+ in the PAC. Cheapest Apple TV is $129.99 on the Apple website. That is assuming your smart TV doesn't have the Apple TV app on it. @Liver mentioned that earlier.

Serious question, why would we go to the BIG12 with only one other of the corner schools? Presumably if we’re making the move, the PAC is dissolving and ASU and Utah will have no where else to go. Both seem like infinitely better brands than UNLV.

Why would there need to be two Big 12 schools in Utah? Same for AZ?

1. I don't think we will.
2. For the sake of argument, because the other PAC schools are more willing to take a gamble on long-term payoff with a partner that offers less money and/ or exposure right now, while Arizona and Colorado are saying F that.
3. Big XII financials might work out better without doubling up teams in certain western states (ASU, Utah).

I repeat, if your end goal is the big12, you have lost the point of Colorado Football.

Episode 5 Reaction GIF by The Office

I would like to watch our beloved buffs play world class institutions, not some technical college out in Texas.

While said conference (Pac-12) doesn't have the passion for football that the Big 12 has?

Is Berkley and Palo Alto going to be remotely passionate about sports like San Diego and Las Vegas will be?

What has bothered me about the Pac-12 is that it doesn't take sports as seriously as CU's former conference did.

Passion versus prestige...which one would you choose?

I was a bit thrown off by what appeared to be @PAC MAN referring to the Big 12 as "we"
Fair I suppose, I just read his comment as "...(if we went there) we wouldn't have .." Besides ITB (who makes it easy), I haven't followed this thread close enough to remember individual posters' opinions/ lean.

The Big 12 isn't going to be so bad because we won't have OU & UT dominating the politics of the Big 12. The reason why I'm warming up to staying in the PAC is the easier road to the CFP as it appears to me. But will the Big 12 be more like C-USA 3.0 where the AAC is C-USA 2.0 and the actual C-USA is C-USA 1.0?

Assuming CSU replaces CU in the Pac-12, could the Ram fans make the argument that they are in the more prestigious conference? I think letting CSU go to the Big 12 and CU staying in the PAC could be the best option going forward.

At least we will have ESPN+ in the Big 12. If not, there's Apple TV+ in the PAC. Cheapest Apple TV is $129.99 on the Apple website. That is assuming your smart TV doesn't have the Apple TV app on it. @Liver mentioned that earlier.
You certainly don't want any big brand football universities in your conference. WTF, Jalapeno?

If we return to the Big-12, I'm pretty sure I'm done with college football/CU football. I can't imagine being interested in...anything... at that point.

Last edited:
That's a bit harsh on the technical schools in Texas, don't you think?

TT and Houston has state funding to get to T1 research school status if not AAU membership. Cinncinnati and UCF are already T1 schools.

Assume the Pac-12 has to backfills with Boise State & Frenso State, the decision to move to the Big 12 wouldn't be a bad one.

Kansas State and Oklahoma State have been seen on the recent list of T1 schools which isn't something that would have been done in the past.

Why would there need to be two Big 12 schools in Utah? Same for AZ?
In Arizona’s case, those are two different markets and the BIG12 chooses the smaller one, that doesn’t really make sense. If tv markets are the primary concern, why aren’t we talking about UTSA to the BIG12? Bigger metro area than Las Vegas, bigger school, no conference presence in Central Texas anymore, they have significantly better attendance. Hell, you could make a similar argument for Sacramento State.

Big 12 does not get any revenue bump by adding G5 teams per contract with ESPN. That doesn’t mean ESPN won’t sweeten the pot for SDSU, but I have hard time thinking they would do that for UNLV, which would make its membership dilutive to the $31MM per team, even if UNLV accepted a reduced payout.

You certainly don't want any big brand football universities in your conference. WTF, Jalapeno?

If we return to the Big-12, I'm pretty sure I'm done with college football/CU football. I can't imagine being interested in...anything at that point.

What good is conference prestige for the Buffs if we can't reach the CFP or win games in the conference like the Buffs have done lately? The Big 8 built its prestige by sending teams like Nebraska & Oklahoma to the Orange Bowl and maintaining that for years including the Big 12. The new Pac-12 or Big 12 is an opportunity for CU to built its prestige up without the likes of Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, USC, and UCLA around.

CU with Coach Prime is a big opportunity for the Buffs to make a name for itself. CU built itself up by playing big name schools back then.

I started rooting for the Buffs because back then I just moved to Colorado from Texas and I hated Nebraska.

It's funny that you ask me this question when you hate Baylor just because their administrators insulted CU. That is small time compared to Nebraska.

What good is conference prestige for the Buffs if we can't reach the CFP or win games in the conference like the Buffs have done lately? The Big 8 built its prestige by sending teams like Nebraska & Oklahoma to the Orange Bowl and maintaining that for years including the Big 12. The new Pac-12 or Big 12 is an opportunity for CU to built its prestige up without the likes of Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, USC, and UCLA around.

CU with Coach Prime is a big opportunity for the Buffs to make a name for itself. CU built itself up by playing big name schools back then.

I started rooting for the Buffs because back then I just moved to Colorado from Texas and I hated Nebraska.

It's funny that you ask me this question when you hate Baylor just because their administrators insulted CU. That is small time compared to Nebraska.
You've sold me. I think CU should shoot for the Mountain West. With an expanded playoff, we should be able to get in every year by feasting on G5 opponents.

You think I hate baylor "just" because Buddy Jones insulted CU? You keep outdoing yourself.

If the money/exposure combo is better or even marginally worse, then the Pac 12 membership will hold, and SDSU will join the PAC.

If the combo is materially worse, then I suspect 3-6 PAC teams plus SDSU will join the Big 12.

It‘s really that simple at this stage. Personally, I think the numbers are there for the PAC, it’s the exposure on linear TV that is the hiccup.

In Arizona’s case, those are two different markets and the BIG12 chooses the smaller one, that doesn’t really make sense. If tv markets are the primary concern, why aren’t we talking about UTSA to the BIG12? Bigger metro area than Las Vegas, bigger school, no conference presence in Central Texas anymore, they have significantly better attendance. Hell, you could make a similar argument for Sacramento State.

I think CU would prefer UA than ASU given the AAU status. I'd prefer ASU as the partner in this case because they are not of the same mindset like we have with Utah. That CU-ASU partnership would be more like the CU-Nebraska partnership.

As for the TV market there, I did not have the impression that ASU was the dominant school when I visited Phoenix for one week back in 2016 or 2017. More like 50-50 between the two schools in AZ's largest metro area.

You've sold me. I think CU should shoot for the Mountain West. With an expanded playoff, we should be able to get in every year by feasting on G5 opponents.

You think I hate baylor "just" because Buddy Jones insulted CU? You keep outdoing yourself.

Your avatar speaks for itself.

Back