What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

If the outline of the media deal was as bad as reported we would have left by now. It’s just that simple.
Who's to say Colorado hasn't given a verbal agreement to BY ?

It's well known Colorado met with the BIG12 last weekend. If CU had told them no we would have already heard from Clownzano or Wilner, shouting from the rooftops.
We didn't.

Disney announced it earnings yesterday and there was a lot of focus on streaming and revenue from linear. I have been saying for awhile the PAC12's challenge is we have entered a new media era where you can no longer get rich off people who don't watch your product because of the cord cutting accelerating and streaming does not have the same business model -less profit.

It is hard to get a media deal at the moment because the market is shifting. Investors are no longer focusing on subscriber growth and are now focusing on margins. Companies are no longer rewarded by growth at all cost.

A few highlights
-Operating income from its cable and broadcast networks fell $1 billion, or 35% to $1.8 billion, as it was hit by lower ad revenue.
- Disney shed 4 million Disney plus subscribers last quarter (mostly low cost subscribers overseas as they raised subscription fees.
- Disney continues to slash streaming content expenses.

Disney said on Wednesday that losses in its streaming business for the most recent quarter totaled $659 million, an improvement from a year earlier (and a vast improvement from the October-to-December period, when losses totaled $1.1 billion). Streaming revenue climbed 12 percent, reflecting a sharp increase in revenue per paid Disney+ subscriber, a metric investors watch closely.

The problem: Disney still relies on old-line TV channels for a colossal portion of its profit — and those outlets are being maimed by cord cutting, sports programming costs and advertiser pullback. Disney’s linear networks (ESPN, Disney Channel, ABC, National Geographic, FX) reported $1.8 billion in operating income, down 35 percent from a year earlier. Revenue fell 7 percent.
Robert A. Iger, Disney’s chief executive, called the decline of traditional television “a worrisome circumstance” in an earnings-related conference call with analysts.
(from NY Times)
You can read a little more here.

Who's to say Colorado hasn't given a verbal agreement to BY ?

It's well known Colorado met with the BIG12 last weekend.

Rhetorical, unanswerable question is not proof of anything other than simple little debate trick.

The only place I've seen it posted that CU met with B12 last week is on the Arizona 247 board. Dead silence everywhere else. Speaking of Arizona 247 board, when you cut-n-paste posts from there to here you should give attribution to the original poster or at least the board and put it in quotes.

It's really not that simple. We wouldn't have/ won't left until it was a final offer and it's clear that nothing else is coming/ we've exhausted every possibility. Obviously.
It comes down to do people think we’re still pitching and in the dark about everything. As in, we don’t know who’s interested and GK is running a shell game.

How many of you guys have been a part of an acquisition? If you have, you know an LOI has probably been drafted or outlined and shared with the P12 at this point to get to due dillegence. That’s not a reach because presidents keep talking about our price being favorable. Probably because we know the networks intent at this point.

Could one of the partners sandbag us and change the deal terms right at the end? Yes! Could have happened after due diligence. But does anyone think we’re still pitching and in the dark about our ballpark price? We know where this is headed because the people involved keep saying the price is going to land us in 3rd place.

It comes down to do people think we’re still pitching and in the dark about everything. As in, we don’t know who’s interested and GK is running a shell game.

How many of you guys have been a part of an acquisition? If you have, you know an LOI has probably been drafted or outlined and shared with the P12 at this point to get to due dillegence. That’s not a reach because presidents keep talking about our price being favorable. Probably because we know the networks intent at this point.

Could one of the partners sandbag us and change the deal terms right at the end? Yes! Could have happened after due diligence. But does anyone think we’re still pitching and in the dark about our ballpark price? We know where this is headed because the people involved keep saying the price is going to land us in 3rd place.
The PAC offices and several presidents have said dozens of things that turned out to not be true over the past year. "People involved keep saying..." means absolutely nothing.

We do not know a final, set offer. If there was one and it was acceptable, it would be signed. If there was one and it was nowhere near acceptable, we'd be gone. Maybe we're close to that final offer (finally). Maybe not. Once we are, we'll know what we're doing.

I may be in the minority but I would read this as Disney/ESPN still very much in need of P12 content. I don’t believe ESPN is out in terms of P12 discussions, just the opposite.

The PAC offices and several presidents have said dozens of things that turned out to not be true over the past year. "People involved keep saying..." means absolutely nothing.

We do not know a final, set offer. If there was one and it was acceptable, it would be signed. If there was one and it was nowhere near acceptable, we'd be gone. Maybe we're close to that final offer (finally). Maybe not. Once we are, we'll know what we're doing.
Like I said, they more than likely did get an offer via an LOI and the final price is being negotiated during due diligence. If you’ve ever been a part of it, it takes a ridiculous amount of time if it’s a brand new deal vs an existing one.

Like I said, they more than likely did get an offer via an LOI and the final price is being negotiated during due diligence. If you’ve ever been a part of it, it takes a ridiculous amount of time if it’s a brand new deal vs an existing one.
I don't think anyone doubts we have a LOI from one if not multiple parties. But like I said, if we knew the final offer/ package - from ALL possible parties - then we would know what we're doing. The delay after delay after delay with excuse after excuse after excuse indicates GK has not received a total package offer that is what the PAC is looking for. Maybe (hopefully) he/ we will.

Or if there is one or more parties to the LOI that are generally new to this type of deal.

I may be in the minority but I would read this as Disney/ESPN still very much in need of P12 content. I don’t believe ESPN is out in terms of P12 discussions, just the opposite.
As far as I know Dodd only reported ESPN as being "out" as the PRIMARY rights holder, which honestly has been suspected if not outright known for months. I have zero doubt ESPN will take some smaller package if the price is right.

This really is nothing like an acquisition. There is minimal Due Diligence - this is not where you agree to open your books and your contracts to an outside party.

This is more a transaction with in some cases people you have already done business with in the past.

My concern is with how long this is taking - the Big 12 opened up negotiations and had a deal in 2 months. My own interpretation is there is really no deal out there with one big player. Fox put the Big 10 deal together with CBS, NBC and Big 10 network all involved. ESPN put together the Big 12 deal which included Fox.

I think a problem the PAC12 has is they are not a good partner with the media - they showed this when they did the PAC12 Network and it appears to continue in their trying to get a TV contract.

My sense is this is older (undated) aricle because NBC Sports Network channel shut down last year.

fuboTV vs. YouTube TV vs. Sling TV channels

fuboTVSling TVYouTube TV
ACC NetworkXX
AXS TVX
BeIN SportsX
BeIN Sports en EspanolXX
Big Ten NetworkXX
CBS Sports NetXX
CNNXXX
CNN InternationalXXX
Eleven SportsX
ESPNX
ESPN Bases LoadedXX
ESPN DeportesX
ESPN Goal LineXX
ESPN NewsX
ESPN UXX
Fox College SportsXX
Fox DeportesX
Fox Regional Sports NetworksX
Fox Soccer PlusXX
FS1XX
FS2XX
FuboTV NetworkX
Golf ChannelXXX
MLB NetworkXXX
MSG/MSG+X
NBA TVXXX
NBC Sports NetworkXX
NBC SportsnetX
NESNXX
NFL NetworkXX
NHL NetworkXXX
Olympic Channel XXX
Outdoor ChannelXXX
Outside TVX
Pac-12XXX
SEC NetworkXX
SNYXXX
SportsmanXX
StadiumXX
Tennis ChannelXXX
Univision DeportesXX
MotorTrendXXX
YESX

The chart doesn’t include Altitude, ATT Sports Net, TBS or TNT. I think Fubo has the first two. But no ESPN? ****. You wouldn’t be able to watch the NBA or NHL playoffs.

PS thanks for actually agreeing with what everyone else is saying
😂 seriously? My OP was if the deal outline was so bad we would have left by now. Which is true.

I think you’re saying the final offer, post or mid-DD, might be so drastically different than the initial LOI and no one knows what that offer is. That’s incredibly unlikely.

That’s the same as a bad deal. If it’s gone south, we would know by now. Again, we would have left. Or we already agreed to leave and the B12 news is true.

If you’re saying we’re not leaving because we still don’t know the price, then it’s the same as saying the deal makers are in the dark which is ridiculous. Of course we know. 😂 Its our deal! We’re at the table.

What flavor is our doomsicle today? I am guessing sour lemon?

Do This GIF by Mashed

Rhetorical, unanswerable question is not proof of anything other than simple little debate trick.

The only place I've seen it posted that CU met with B12 last week is on the Arizona 247 board. Dead silence everywhere else. Speaking of Arizona 247 board, when you cut-n-paste posts from there to here you should give attribution to the original poster or at least the board and put it in quotes.
FYI- CU meeting last weekend with BY has been mentioned on at least two other places.
Colorado might not go to the BIG12 but I believe they are closer to going there than staying in the PAC.

My sense is this is older (undated) aricle because NBC Sports Network channel shut down last year.

fuboTV vs. YouTube TV vs. Sling TV channels

fuboTVSling TVYouTube TV
ACC NetworkXX
AXS TVX
BeIN SportsX
BeIN Sports en EspanolXX
Big Ten NetworkXX
CBS Sports NetXX
CNNXXX
CNN InternationalXXX
Eleven SportsX
ESPNX
ESPN Bases LoadedXX
ESPN DeportesX
ESPN Goal LineXX
ESPN NewsX
ESPN UXX
Fox College SportsXX
Fox DeportesX
Fox Regional Sports NetworksX
Fox Soccer PlusXX
FS1XX
FS2XX
FuboTV NetworkX
Golf ChannelXXX
MLB NetworkXXX
MSG/MSG+X
NBA TVXXX
NBC Sports NetworkXX
NBC SportsnetX
NESNXX
NFL NetworkXX
NHL NetworkXXX
Olympic Channel XXX
Outdoor ChannelXXX
Outside TVX
Pac-12XXX
SEC NetworkXX
SNYXXX
SportsmanXX
StadiumXX
Tennis ChannelXXX
Univision DeportesXX
MotorTrendXXX
YESX

Totally missed the P12N on YouTube news since I was under the impression that Sling & Fubo were the places you could get the P12N.

And I just checked YouTube TV, the P12N isn't there.

I'm thinking that ESPN is going to be the partner. Right now they are laying people off and the moving of all ESPN channels to ESPN Direct To Consumer is only a matter of time not a matter of IF. It is going to happen.

The timing of that move according to an SBJ article from two years puts that move no later than 2026. This would be separate from ESPN+ as well.

With UT & OU going to the SEC next year and the NBA's media rights on their way to being renewed, I have to believe it's either this summer or next year that the switch takes place.

Fox is ready to go full time streaming and Fox says that there is NO CHANCE that live sports games will be going to Tubi. It will go to paid subscriptions. That is what I have been expecting for awhile and it's starting to come to fruition.

Being patient at this point seems to be the smart move.

Last edited:
I'm thinking that ESPN is going to be the partner. Right now they are laying people off and the moving of all ESPN channels to ESPN Direct To Consumer is only a matter of time not a matter of IF. It is going to happen.

The timing of that move according to an SBJ article from two years puts that move no later than 2026. This would be separate from ESPN+ as well.

With UT & OU going to the SEC next year and the NBA's media rights on their way to being renewed, I have to believe it's either this summer or next year that the switch takes place.

Fox is ready to go full time streaming and Fox says that there is NO CHANCE that live sports games will be going to Tubi. It will go to paid subscriptions. That is what I have been expecting for awhile and it's starting to come to fruition.

How much is ESPN going to be willing to pay?

I keep hearing that they are treating the PAC like they are shopping at Ross or Marshals.

I'm thinking that ESPN is going to be the partner. Right now they are laying people off and the moving of all ESPN channels to ESPN + is only a matter of time not a matter of IF. It is going to happen.

Let us not jump the gun here. This part is incorrect
Right now they are laying people off and the moving of all ESPN channels to ESPN +
That is not correct - they are not moving any ESPN channels to ESPN + . They are prohibited from doing that based on their contracts with the cable providers. Right now there is still too big of a revenue differential between linear and streaming - they have 25 million ESPN+ subscribers @$10 per month (really less since many of those are bundled at a discount) - so about $250 million a month or $3Billion per year. They are still making $28 Billion a year off of linear programing. Until that differential shrinks they are not going to do much. But it is coming.

Back