What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Big Jim is as dialed in as Jason Scheer, so you should believe him
Big Jim sits on Colorado’s big money perch. He’s going to send a letter to Greg Fluguar that outlines the hot window runs from May 11 to June 15 and then gets molten lava hot from June 16 to June 30.

He’ll read it on his YouTube channel 10s after it’s sent.

Let us not jump the gun here. This part is incorrect

That is not correct - they are not moving any ESPN channels to ESPN + . They are prohibited from doing that based on their contracts with the cable providers. Right now there is still too big of a revenue differential between linear and streaming - they have 25 million ESPN+ subscribers @$10 per month (really less since many of those are bundled at a discount) - so about $250 million a month or $3Billion per year. They are still making $28 Billion a year off of linear programing. Until that differential shrinks they are not going to do much. But it is coming.

Yeah I forgot to change that fact and now it appears that the ESPN direct to consumer channel will be seperate from ESPN+.

Those tech layoffs aren't limited to the likes of Google & Microsoft but they do include the likes of cable companies such as Xfinity, Cox, Spectrum, etc.

As for those ESPN carriage deals, Comcast just renewed theirs with ESPN in November 2021 and the other major cable companies were as late as 2019 to about right now so they certainly had to know that ESPN was going to go direct to consumer at some point and that is basically where live sports is going.

You said $28B linear programming...that includes games on abc not just ESPN and that new ESPN SEC contract kicks in next year plus the College Football Playoffs. Let's take a look at the new Suns-Mercury media rights deal (currently blocked due to the RSN's bankruptcy case).

The shift could cost the Suns tens of millions in guaranteed money per year in the short term, but it will boost the number of households the games are available in from around 800,000 to more than 2.8 million, according to the team.

In that case, the Suns tripled the number of available households. SEC games on abc is going to rake in the $ for sure. They already have SEC+ so those people know the move is going to happen sooner than later.

Football Scoop has the TV market numbers and the South has 8 out of the 11 biggest CFB markets. The SEC is going to add to those numbers with Austin, OKC, and Tulsa. ESPN can name their price for those ads during those commercial breaks. ESPN can move more SEC games to abc to cushion the blow for ESPN and those games will be also on ESPN+.

A Former Fox Sports executive said on 365 Sports said there used to be 90-100 million cable subscribers and that's closer to 60 million. With the economic news these days, you can expect that number to get to that inflection point of 50M subscribers very soon. About 5M people have been cancelling pay tv every year the last few years so that 50M point is probably going to happen either next year or 2025. It could even happen this year.

They not only green lit us for the only spring game on their main network but then decided to issue press and media talking about how well we did ratings wise. These are not moves you make if you’re trying to screw someone over in a deal. I think they’re definitely in.

Solid point.

I just hope ESPN pays the P12 enough to keep it together and put all P12N games on ESPN+. That will be a win for many P12 fans.

@Big Jim: if you look at that FootballScoop article I posted in response to BlackNGold, I'm not so sure the P12 will get a better paying media rights deal than the Big 12. Having all games on the ESPN family of channels would make it a better overall deal.

Looks like that is what will happen. Some are predicting the beginning of the end for the B12 as a P5 program.

I think the P12 & ACC are done as P5 conferences too. It's the B1G & SEC and it will feel extra special beating the Nubs this year.

I think the P12 & ACC are done as P5 conferences too. It's the B1G & SEC and it will feel extra special beating the Nubs this year.

The Big12 is moving their football and men's basketball games to Mexico. They are dead set on implementing a first mover strategy to corner the market before the NFL expands further south of the border. The rumor mill has BY setting up a peso-to-USD conversion exchange that will add at least $347/team/year to the conference payout.

The Big12 is moving their football and men's basketball games to Mexico. They are dead set on implementing a first mover strategy to corner the market before the NFL expands further south of the border. The rumor mill has BY setting up a peso-to-USD conversion exchange that will add at least $347/team/year to the conference payout.

Think the P12 might go to Asia/China for the same thing?

Who's to say Colorado hasn't given a verbal agreement to BY ?

It's well known Colorado met with the BIG12 last weekend. If CU had told them no we would have already heard from Clownzano or Wilner, shouting from the rooftops.
We didn't.
You’re making a lot of assumptions here. First. It’s not well known CU met with anybody last weekend. Second, we wouldn’t know anything at all about the outcome of those discussions, had they occurred.

They aren’t done if they work together. Combine the ACC/B12 and P10 together and you have a very solid high level college athletics conference with coast to coast distribution. It’s not likely because it’s a hard thing to pull off, but it would be a good move for all concerned.

You’re making a lot of assumptions here. First. It’s not well known CU met with anybody last weekend. Second, we wouldn’t know anything at all about the outcome of those discussions, had they occurred.
Yeah, wtf?

I've read pretty much this entire thread and I don't see any confirmation of any meeting between the B12 and CU.

Maybe "well known" in the MHVer/Dennis Dodd Circle Jerk.

They aren’t done if they work together. Combine the ACC/B12 and P10 together and you have a very solid high level college athletics conference with coast to coast distribution. It’s not likely because it’s a hard thing to pull off, but it would be a good move for all concerned.

That assumption has been floated multiple times in the past yet end up not happening. In the case of the CFP, I don't think that would work because there would be just one auto-bid from that combined conference while the MWC, MAC, Sun Belt, AAC, and C-USA would be able to have one auto bid for their respective conference champions. Clemson & Florida State are hoping for that so they can get out of the ACC ASAP because they are receiving peanuts compared to their SEC rivals.

In this year's FCS playoffs which has a 24 team field, there were five Big Sky Conference teams and four Colonial Athletic Association teams in the playoffs including their auto bids. No team from either conference made the FCS national championship game. In the 2020 season which was played in the spring of 2021, there was a 16 team playoff bracket and five MVFC schools were in the field. One MVFC made the FCS championship game but lost that game to Sam Houston State who is joining C-USA in July.

The point is that while the B1G and SEC will send their teams to the CFP, it doesn't mean that a B1G & SEC team will win the CFP every year.

The P12, ACC, and B12 are stronger by themselves instead of as one mega conference. They could all sign with ESPN but the last thing we would want is to have ESPN all of that power over college sports.

That assumption has been floated multiple times in the past yet end up not happening. In the case of the CFP, I don't think that would work because there would be just one auto-bid from that combined conference while the MWC, MAC, Sun Belt, AAC, and C-USA would be able to have one auto bid for their respective conference champions. Clemson & Florida State are hoping for that so they can get out of the ACC ASAP because they are receiving peanuts compared to their SEC rivals.

In this year's FCS playoffs which has a 24 team field, there were five Big Sky Conference teams and four Colonial Athletic Association teams in the playoffs including their auto bids. No team from either conference made the FCS national championship game. In the 2020 season which was played in the spring of 2021, there was a 16 team playoff bracket and five MVFC schools were in the field. One MVFC made the FCS championship game but lost that game to Sam Houston State who is joining C-USA in July.

The point is that while the B1G and SEC will send their teams to the CFP, it doesn't mean that a B1G & SEC team will win the CFP every year.

The P12, ACC, and B12 are stronger by themselves instead of as one mega conference. They could all sign with ESPN but the last thing we would want is to have ESPN all of that power over college sports.
The playoff isn’t the thing that will keep this from happening. That’s an easy fix. The thing that makes this hard is the number of moving parts involved and the differing agendas.

The playoff isn’t the thing that will keep this from happening. That’s an easy fix. The thing that makes this hard is the number of moving parts involved and the differing agendas.

That is great for threads such as this one before summer camp.

poo GIF

Sarcastatroll big jim is the best big jim.
Hey man, first off, BJ is california sober which is just good enough for around these parts. and, most importantly, he bleeds Dodger Blue.

therefore, i am ready to believe every fluking word he utters.

preach, Jimbo, preach.

Disney announced it earnings yesterday and there was a lot of focus on streaming and revenue from linear. I have been saying for awhile the PAC12's challenge is we have entered a new media era where you can no longer get rich off people who don't watch your product because of the cord cutting accelerating and streaming does not have the same business model -less profit.

It is hard to get a media deal at the moment because the market is shifting. Investors are no longer focusing on subscriber growth and are now focusing on margins. Companies are no longer rewarded by growth at all cost.

A few highlights
-Operating income from its cable and broadcast networks fell $1 billion, or 35% to $1.8 billion, as it was hit by lower ad revenue.
- Disney shed 4 million Disney plus subscribers last quarter (mostly low cost subscribers overseas as they raised subscription fees.
- Disney continues to slash streaming content expenses.

You can read a little more here.

Bingo. Ive been saying this as well. Streaming is likely not going to earn the revenue on a per subscriber basis like Set Top did. And there are two sides to this sword that are bad for ESPN; advertisers will not buy if they dont reach their targeted demographic. Who is subscribing to ESPN+ Disney+ Hulu? Who is not?

Why is 18 34 demographic so important?

The 18 to 34 year old demographic is the fastest growing of all demographics in that they will accumulate 75% of their "life debt" during this time, first mortgages, vehicle loans, insurance policies, and so much more.

Interestingly the network that spends the least on college sports has the best grip on that audience…

In 2022, NBC had 1.2 million average viewers, making it the leading ad-supported TV network in the United States among adults in the 18 to 49 demographic group. Fox ranked in second, with 902 thousand average viewers, followed by ABC with 864 thousand average viewers.

The extent of NBC’s success in 2022 is even clearer when considering the vast difference between NBC and the networks ranking in third and fourth place among total viewers. ABC amassed 3.9 million average viewers in 2022, and Fox had 3.2 million, meaning that NBC had over one million more average viewers than both of its close competitors.

So in terms of college football getting endless supply of money everytime a rights deal is up for renewal might be a house of cards.

I may be in the minority but I would read this as Disney/ESPN still very much in need of P12 content. I don’t believe ESPN is out in terms of P12 discussions, just the opposite.
ESPN seems to be bargain shopping rather then paying aggressively. Would you still approve of a deal that hid all P12 games on ESPN+ streaming? ESPN appears to have a lot of inventory in its other deals to fill the day.

I don't think anyone doubts we have a LOI from one if not multiple parties. But like I said, if we knew the final offer/ package - from ALL possible parties - then we would know what we're doing. The delay after delay after delay with excuse after excuse after excuse indicates GK has not received a total package offer that is what the PAC is looking for. Maybe (hopefully) he/ we will.
Is his offer one in which the LOI wants to hide a majority of the content on a streaming service? He and The Presidents probably dont like want that as they want viewers. So these delays could be where the stalemate is.

All these networks want more streaming subscribers.

How much is ESPN going to be willing to pay?

I keep hearing that they are treating the PAC like they are shopping at Ross or Marshals.
pac man keeps harping on them being the winner bc hes probably already an espn+ subscriber. My opinion, considering the layoffs, espn/disney is already in trouble. so yeah, they are bargain shopping because they already have a ton of inventory.

I don’t think both are hurting for money and they would have easier CFP access. Money usually wins in the end but there are good reasons for staying put.

You think UW and UO would have an easier path to the CFP in the B1G? Have you really thought that thru? How did TCU get in? Because they were in easier conference to play thru.

Last edited:
Back