What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Sorry if I'm Miaming this, don't feel like reading more of this thread than I have to.....

• Disney has held early conversations to find a new strategic partner for ESPN.
  • Disney is also open to selling or spinning out its legacy cable networks and ABC, its broadcast network, Iger suggested.
  • Disney CEO Bob Iger said he has a good idea when ESPN will transition to a direct-to-consumer business but declined to say when.

Starting to think this is one major reason why the P12 hasn't announced a media deal just yet. Apple could be a strategic partner for ESPN.

If the P12 is going to ultimately end up on ESPN, I think we can afford to be patient which appears to be a challenge in this legendary thread.

Starting to think this is one major reason why the P12 hasn't announced a media deal just yet. Apple could be a strategic partner for ESPN.

If the P12 is going to ultimately end up on ESPN, I think we can afford to be patient which appears to be a challenge in this legendary thread.
No patience! Deal must get done now! I need to refinance my truck and everything must go right now! And the refinancing better be shown on linear programming too!

I think we're better off if Apple and ESPN enter a strategic partnership vs it being an acquisition. If the former, Apple would be looking to drive its streaming service as a market disruptor but with ABC/ESPN being to them like Fox is to FS1/2 or ABC has been to ESPN (a place to shuffle some marquee games). If the latter, then I think we'd be looking at their focus being on turning ESPN into a direct-to-consumer revenue model and that platform already has the SEC, among a ton of other live content, so the Pac-12 wouldn't be a top asset.

“linear concepts”

From March:
The sports network has held conversations with major sports leagues and media partners about launching a feature on ESPN.com and its free ESPN app that will link users directly to where a live sporting event is streaming, according to people familiar with the matter.

I think all of ESPN's people feel some fear for their professional futures. It's not just on-screen people who are being reviewed. I think they, as a group, are awaiting further guidance from Disney. I caught part of an Iger interview this morning, wherein he mentioned the need to establish a set of priorities and pursue them. I think ESPN doesn't move, unless it's told it should.

Missouri played and lost 2 Big 12 championship games in 2007 and 2008. They have played and lost 2 SEC championship games in 2013 and 2014.
Yeah, that claim seemed a bit off to me too. Mizzou was historically the 4th best program in the Big 8, and the 6th best in the Big 12. They've always been a middle of their conference football team with occasional great seasons and occasional ****ty seasons. That has continued in the SEC; I don't think it's been any better or worse in terms of on-field performance.

I think we're better off if Apple and ESPN enter a strategic partnership vs it being an acquisition. If the former, Apple would be looking to drive its streaming service as a market disruptor but with ABC/ESPN being to them like Fox is to FS1/2 or ABC has been to ESPN (a place to shuffle some marquee games). If the latter, then I think we'd be looking at their focus being on turning ESPN into a direct-to-consumer revenue model and that platform already has the SEC, among a ton of other live content, so the Pac-12 wouldn't be a top asset.

It would be nice to watch the SEC & ACC in addition to the P12 in that case. ESPN is my go to source for sports.

“linear concepts”

From March:
The sports network has held conversations with major sports leagues and media partners about launching a feature on ESPN.com and its free ESPN app that will link users directly to where a live sporting event is streaming, according to people familiar with the matter.

Used to rely on ESPN to know where each game was being televised on until they stopped telling everyone which Fox channel it was on. I'd love to know what streaming platform a game is on so I can know whether to subscribe to that or not.

I think all of ESPN's people feel some fear for their professional futures. It's not just on-screen people who are being reviewed. I think they, as a group, are awaiting further guidance from Disney. I caught part of an Iger interview this morning, wherein he mentioned the need to establish a set of priorities and pursue them. I think ESPN doesn't move, unless it's told it should.

I think the off-screen guys pretty much have been laid off by now and the on-air talent is now being laid off.

It would be nice to watch the SEC & ACC in addition to the P12 in that case. ESPN is my go to source for sports.

Used to rely on ESPN to know where each game was being televised on until they stopped telling everyone which Fox channel it was on. I'd love to know what streaming platform a game is on so I can know whether to subscribe to that or not.

OR

I've used the lsufootball link for years... seems like fbschedules is now on top of it as well.

Sorry if I'm Miaming this, don't feel like reading more of this thread than I have to.....

• Disney has held early conversations to find a new strategic partner for ESPN.
  • Disney is also open to selling or spinning out its legacy cable networks and ABC, its broadcast network, Iger suggested.
  • Disney CEO Bob Iger said he has a good idea when ESPN will transition to a direct-to-consumer business but declined to say when.
Its coming...

Iger being part of the Apple WWDC was a big sign.

The moves ESPN has been making with reorganizing staff is classic company is for sale stuff.

What would be the nuclear bomb thats not out of reality is if Apple bought ESPN and put it on AppleTV only and removed it from cable and sat service completely.

Its coming...

Iger being part of the Apple WWDC was a big sign.

ITB's head is gonna

Podcast What GIF by Washed Media

Im pretty sure Apple separates ABC and spins it off. Broadcast TV doesnt have the monetizing value that ESPN and all its sports rights have. That would kind of suck for ABC since they have little to no sports anymore anyways having relied on ESPN to give it to them.

Last edited:
Im pretty sure Apple separates ABC and spins it off. Broadcast TV doesnt have the monetizing value that ESPN and all its sports rights have.
Maybe so. If I'm not reading too much into the data in the link below, it points to the same demographics which are moving to apps to watch things probably causing ABC's numbers for the NBA taking a big while ESPN was flat. Cord cutters increasing DGAF about the ABC/CBS/FOX/NBC programming lineups and the local stations aren't on apps they pay for.

I'm not a normal CFB viewer. If I'm not going to a Buffs game, my Saturday is watching Gameday from the time it comes on, taking a break to go out to pick up a monster breakfast sandwich (usually a Kong at Deli Zone), then watch games from the opening kickoff at 10am through whatever the late game is. In recent years, I've usually drank too much over the Buffs and would fall asleep before the last P12 After Dark (or Hawaii home game) finished. I generally plan my primary games and check in on others during commercials, but also follow scores to flip around to whatever game is close and getting deep into 2H. I also switch channels to avoid those horrible halftime shows, even during Buffs games for which I stick during commercials.

I also find time to interact with my family. Usually by yelling at them if they changed seats (or rooms!) and it coincided with a negative change to the Buffs fortunes. I'm much less obsessed than I used to be.
Ok, what kind of sandwich is this?

Maybe so. If I'm not reading too much into the data in the link below, it points to the same demographics which are moving to apps to watch things probably causing ABC's numbers for the NBA taking a big while ESPN was flat. Cord cutters increasing DGAF about the ABC/CBS/FOX/NBC programming lineups and the local stations aren't on apps they pay for.
The whole point of streaming is to put your best content where people must pay for it to see it.

Broadcast is a fine model as an ad supported entity but it has to have great content and big numbers to work. Great content is harder to do when the FCC has rules about how racy things can get. Rules that streaming doenst have. I think someone will come along and reinvent the broadcast networks but right now theyre dying slowly like A.M. radio because something else has taken the public away from them. I dont see Apple interested at all in ABC for these reasons.

Iger I believe knows that hes in a trap with ESPN. It was a darling of Disney stock for years because it juiced earnings. Now ESPN is likely causing a cash crunch inside disney with $47b in coming rights obligations and shrinking income to cover that cost. Iger can keep ESPN and probably use up Disney reserves along with strong Experiences (Parks) performance to get thru that (assuming cord cutting doesnt worsen). He would have to live with a flat or underperforming stock and defiant investors. Or he can unload ESPN on to a company that has $110b in cash on hand. The Disney+/ESPN+/hulu subs have hit a wall and giving away all 3 for $14.99 likely isnt covering costs.

A big fear around 'the same demographics which are moving to apps to watch things' is a big scarry black box. People may not care enough about live sports even to tune in over the life of the deal and make Apple's bet not worth it if it is indeed them buying. I think people now tune in for the Superbowl, the playoffs, and the big games on the schedule. But its only the super fans like us alums more and more that watch the regular season. That means its possibly not worth the money being paid to buy ESPN and pay its bills.

Our rights deal may very well be being held up by an Iger Cook negotiation for ESPN because Iger doesnt have the money without Apple. They might be in a fight over ABC. Disney probably wants to unload it and Apple doesnt want it. The big ESPN liabilities could also have them quibbling over price. Though Iger knows he probably has a lemon and should just cut Disney's losses.

Last edited:
ITB's head is gonna

Podcast What GIF by Washed Media
IF ALL ESPN content were to be bought by Apple TV and that's the only place it would be then so be it. I'd imagine the $$ would be great and sports fans would have to adjust their viewing habits which would be a win. Do we really think the SEC would want/allow this ?

IF ALL ESPN content were to be bought by Apple TV and that's the only place it would be then so be it. I'd imagine the $$ would be great and sports fans would have to adjust their viewing habits which would be a win. Do we really think the SEC would want/allow this ?
I think those fans will go to any platform which offers Paul Finebaum, the SEC Nation show and the games.

No football conference has the power to stop the sale of ESPN if it were to occur. At most, they could possibly file to get out of their media rights deal with ESPN if their agreement changed significantly due to the sale. Ianal.

No football conference has the power to stop the sale of ESPN if it were to occur. At most, they could possibly file to get out of their media rights deal with ESPN if their agreement changed significantly due to the sale. Ianal.
That would come with huge risks too. The SEC could end up getting less. Im sure CBS would love to have the SEC back but they likely cant pay what ESPN was paying for that content.

Can't rule out Apple buying ABC from Disney and they could use P12 Games Of The Week on ABC or something like that. But a merger seems more likely and the Feds will all over that deal so it would take time. Disney/Apple would be the ones writing checks to the SEC not the other way around...not much the SEC can do at this point.

P12 attendance has suffered due to the networks, whose executives are at the opposite end of the country, calling the shots on such start times but I am not dismissing those issues being caused by general P12 fan apathy on the west coast. Apple might offer the opportunity for the schools to determine their start times which appears to be the case with games on the P12N. This would help the P12 schools with revenue at the gates which could help reduce the financial gap between the P12 and the B12.

I may be in the STAY IN THE P12 camp right now but I want the best media deal for the fans and if it means being in the B12, so be it.

Wouldn't be a win for me, I record 7-8 games watch them at rotating half times for one reason I hate commercials I pay a monthly fee so I don't have to.
Do I think the SEC would allow this? I believe the SEC being the cash cow it is would have a say in the process to protect it's interest.
The content on ESPN & the SEC channel is way better than even the B1G channel.
If it winds up my having to stream so be it and I will to see the Buffs, could care less about the rest of the P10.smh "our stories" and reruns of sports the Buffs don't have.

Can't rule out Apple buying ABC from Disney and they could use P12 Games Of The Week on ABC or something like that. But a merger seems more likely and the Feds will all over that deal so it would take time. Disney/Apple would be the ones writing checks to the SEC not the other way around...not much the SEC can do at this point.

P12 attendance has suffered due to the networks, whose executives are at the opposite end of the country, calling the shots on such start times but I am not dismissing those issues being caused by general P12 fan apathy on the west coast. Apple might offer the opportunity for the schools to determine their start times which appears to be the case with games on the P12N. This would help the P12 schools with revenue at the gates which could help reduce the financial gap between the P12 and the B12.

I may be in the STAY IN THE P12 camp right now but I want the best media deal for the fans and if it means being in the B12, so be it.
I think it'd be a hoot if the SEC offered...the exploding heads would be unworldly. The idiotic thought of not excepting because it isn't a cultural fit would only be rivaled by Colorado's epic no vote for hosting the Winter Olympics.

What would be the nuclear bomb thats not out of reality is if Apple bought ESPN and put it on AppleTV only and removed it from cable and sat service completely.
I doubt they go that far, but not just espn/disney but hulu being integrated into apple’s space would be quite the baller move if the price is right.

Back