What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

homer simpson GIF

Every time anybody brings up Carruth, I think about what a good kid he was when he was here. There were some characters on that team, but he never put one toe out of line. To see what he became is horrifying.

Yeah. That's a pretty common observation. Obviously there was something broken in him that laid below the surface. Maybe being outside the more structured college environment with all that money, fame and pressure was something he wasn't equipped for. Maybe he was just good at hiding who he is to play a role to set him up to get his (full blown sociopath). I don't know. The whole damn thing is tragic.
I may have told this story here, but if so, it has been a while.

I worked at the Hotel Boulderado when Carruth was a Buff, and there was a waitress that worked for me who dated a handful of players. When she went out with Carruth, I asked her how it had gone. She told me that it was fine, but that she wouldn't be going out with him a second time. When I asked her why, she had trouble explaining it, but just that she had gotten a massive bad vibe from him. There was no specific reason, but she felt like he was not a person she should get mixed up with. She was really uncomfortable even telling me about it, which was not like her at all.

Of course, that conversation ended up being an eerie prelude to the events that happened later.

The CFP is one major item to consider for the future of CU football.

The Big 12 might not have the prestige that the Pac-12 has but there is no shortage of B12 teams that has had success in football recently. The B12 is probably going to knock itself out of CFP contention more often than not which is something we have had to deal with the P12. I think we will see less of that in the P12 after USC & UCLA leaves for the B1G. I'm way more concerned with that than how much money CU will be getting from a media rights deal.
10 teams might actually be perfect.

Last edited:
Personally, I find the PAC media deal interesting in the sense that it is part and parcel with the entire disruption in the film and television industry. Movie theaters are dying, studios can’t count on big budget films to make a return at the box office, streaming is killing cable, sports viewership is in decline, there are demographic shifts in sports, tv, and film viewership, AI is here, writers on strike, you name it. It’s fascinating.
Because of technology the barriers to entry are lower and the gate keepers cant keep the status quo in place. Because of technology consumers have many more options for their free time filler leading to a sea change in these industries. Since you didnt mention it I suspect the advertisers are having a harder time reaching their target demographic audiences too.

It is indeed interesting to watch.

compare and contrast where we were when usc shanked us and where we are now...

we were the worst p5 team in the country, losing by multiple scores and with little to no hope.

the big appeared to be on the cusp of taking other schools from pac, and we were certainly not top of the list.

we couldn't recruit, we couldn't win, and we had little to no hope that we could realistically punch our way out of the gutter.

we were certain at the time that our very best option if the pac died would be to beg for an invitation to the b12.

then, some things changed along the way.

Coach Prime of course.

but, more than just hope, we saw commitment and investment.

and, after getting kicked in the nuts by the ****ing trojans, we got up off the mat and looked around.

CU flipped the narrative from begging for scraps to creating leverage by giving us options.

the b12 came courting with its sunday best clothes on and bearing flowers and sweet words.

we told the b12 we had to think about it.

the big 12 pursued us more and started leveraging "sources" to suggest to the world we had no other option.

all the while , the pac, being the much hotter girl, has continued to put in the time to convince us to stay, knowing we could at our option leave.

and now we have the these two suitors asking us to make up our minds. should we stay or should we go?

soon, we will know. but, know this: we are going to be fine.

CU did this right.

Praising John Goodman GIF by The Righteous Gemstones

compare and contrast where we were when usc shanked us and where we are now...

we were the worst p5 team in the country, losing by multiple scores and with little to no hope.

the big appeared to be on the cusp of taking other schools from pac, and we were certainly not top of the list.

we couldn't recruit, we couldn't win, and we had little to no hope that we could realistically punch our way out of the gutter.

we were certain at the time that our very best option if the pac died would be to beg for an invitation to the b12.

then, some things changed along the way.

Coach Prime of course.

but, more than just hope, we saw commitment and investment.

and, after getting kicked in the nuts by the ****ing trojans, we got up off the mat and looked around.

CU flipped the narrative from begging for scraps to creating leverage by giving us options.

the b12 came courting with its sunday best clothes on and bearing flowers and sweet words.

we told the b12 we had to think about it.

the big 12 pursued us more and started leveraging "sources" to suggest to the world we had no other option.

all the while , the pac, being the much hotter girl, has continued to put in the time to convince us to stay, knowing we could at our option leave.

and now we have the these two suitors asking us to make up our minds. should we stay or should we go?

soon, we will know. but, know this: we are going to be fine.

CU did this right.

Praising John Goodman GIF by The Righteous Gemstones
Please tag Fred whenever you post in this thread.

I’m good with this.

Love it. And with the Big 12 elevating 4 (69), all you need is the Pac to elevate 3. That gives you 6 groups of 12. Considering markets and success, I'd give SDSU, BSU and UNLV seats at the table, call it a day, and have one hell of a CFB league that had eastern and western conferences with 3 divisions each. (Or 6 divisions of 6 teams each which played each other every year plus a rotating schedule for the other games.) Then you have a playoff of all division champs + 4 at-large bids.

I think it would make a fortune.

Have you tried talk radio? I think you would be a fantastic regular caller!
hey butthead! Im a cu guy and could care less about either conference. The pac is a disaster And has bees since the day we joined. We don’t fit and never have. Yes we have a lot of rich alumni parents who sent their kids here (which I’m assuming you are one little Jim) but in reality we are a mid America state With no ties to the coast other than a bunch of rich parents that allowed/sent their kids to Colorado. That’s because cu values out of state $. So they can fleece the crap out them. Moreover than their on state student.

That's a nothing burger. Of course our preference is to avoid disruption. Of course we're prepared to go that route if the financial considerations and health of our athletics department make it stupid not to move.

That's been the case every year CU athletics has been in existence.

hey butthead! Im a cu guy and could care less about either conference. The pac is a disaster And has bees since the day we joined. We don’t fit and never have. Yes we have a lot of rich alumni parents who sent their kids here (which I’m assuming you are one little Jim) but in reality we are a mid America state With no ties to the coast other than a bunch of rich parents that allowed/sent their kids to Colorado. That’s because cu values out of state $. So they can fleece the crap out them. Moreover than their on state student.
Bully Marty GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

Biff Get Out Of Here GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

This meeting tomorrow that CU has along with the other presidents with GK feels Iike a Hail Mary.
Didn't we just hear yesterday that it would be another 4-6 weeks before numbers would be presented? What happened the last 24 hours to change that?

The pressure is on GK to show what's on the table. He knows there are at least two schools with eyes on the Big12, and he knows they are closer to leaving sooner than later.

Sure seems like tomorrow is possibly the day that will make or break the conference as we know it.

if you actually graduated, your professors weep for you.

That's a nothing burger. Of course our preference is to avoid disruption. Of course we're prepared to go that route if the financial considerations and health of our athletics department make it stupid not to move.

That's been the case every year CU athletics has been in existence.
Nothing burger except for the news that GK is supposed to finally present numbers tomorrow.

This meeting tomorrow that CU has along with the other presidents with GK feels Iike a Hail Mary.
Didn't we just hear yesterday that it would be another 4-6 weeks before numbers would be presented? What happened the last 24 hours to change that?

The pressure is on GK to show what's on the table. He knows there are at least two schools with eyes on the Big12, and he knows they are closer to leaving sooner than later.

Sure seems like tomorrow is possibly the day that will make or break the conference as we know it.
Mean Girls Tomorrow GIF by Paramount Movies

today is today and tomorrow is tomorrow and fate takes mysterious turns.

here is one part of your many takes that i actually think might be true--- something changed for CU, with respect to the b12 and pac. it was something seemingly significant. problem is, none of us know if that is a good something or a bad something.

i recommend a 10mg sativa gummy. stat. with bourbon.

Your Big 12 sources are really the only ones who have said 4-6 weeks until numbers are presented. Pac 12 sources have said “very soon” and “patience will pay off”.

From what I saw yesterday from Canzano the debate to expand is between more CFP revenue (stay at 10) vs more media revenue (expand to 12 or more).

I think they need more media revenue and I don’t think it hurts any existing teams chances to make the CFP if they do expand as those teams will struggle as they ramp up (easy wins).
If Oregon/Washington/Utah are concerned about being SMU or San Diego State, then they're a lot more flawed than we all believe.

I will say this, though-there's no point in 9 conference games with no LA schools after this year-regardless of expansion.

If Oregon/Washington/Utah are concerned about being SMU or San Diego State, then they're a lot more flawed than we all believe.

I will say this, though-there's no point in 9 conference games with no LA schools after this year-regardless of expansion.
I guarantee you part of the media deal is that there will be 9-10 P5 matchups per Pac 10 program, which will mean 9 conference games. The networks/streaming aren’t looking for less overall inventory (already 24 fewer games) while also increasing the ****tiness of said inventory.

Last edited:
today is today and tomorrow is tomorrow and fate takes mysterious turns.

here is one part of your many takes that i actually think might be true--- something changed for CU, with respect to the b12 and pac. it was something seemingly significant. problem is, none of us know if that is a good something or a bad something.

i recommend a 10mg sativa gummy. stat. with bourbon.
The vibe has been pointing to early next week being possibly a game changer.
It's so so interesting to see a CU special BOR meeting pop up around lunch and now GK is having a surprise meeting tomorrow to finally?!? present tv numbers. Me thinks GK knows things are on the edge.

I guarantee you part of the media deal is that there will be 9-10 P5 matchups per Pac 10 program, which will mean 9 conference games. The networks/streaming aren’t looking for less overall inventory (24 games) while also increasing the shiftiness of said inventory.
More proof this conference's leadership still doesn't have any idea what its doing in my view.

Back