What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Im aware of the extreme difficulty in competing in the SEC, but being in the SEC would at least give us the revenue to try To be relevant again.

In the pipe dream world where we get into the SEC we could be moderately competitive *IF* the administration and school as a whole got recommitted to football even given our booster shortfalls. Schools like Ole Miss, MSU and Mizzou have been ok in the SEC.

Well, the local media still believes the P12 switch was the problem and that a move to the MWC should have been the call, but then the local media is largely clueless when it comes to CFB. The fanbase at least understands why that was not a viable option and why the P12 move, even in retrospect, probably was the right decision.
I don't follow any of the local hacks, @DBT when you opened your Sunday Denver Post was there anything about CU having the perfect opportunity to join the MWC to be competitive and rekindle the CSU rivalry?

Im aware of the extreme difficulty in competing in the SEC, but being in the SEC would at least give us the revenue to try To be relevant again.
Vandy has very reasonable excuses to always be at the bottom of the SEC. As I mentioned earlier, CU would be Vandy without the academic status, private school size, or other structural excuses for sucking.

There's the big MAYBE the CU Admin sees all the money coming and decides to spend some of it on athletics, but I wouldn't want to rest any hope on what the CU Admin might do with a sudden influx of cash.

Can anyone say, Small Hadron Collider in place of the CU track?

Riding in a rental van with friends to the Ozarks and I can say there has been a significant increase in windmills…the electrical ones and they outnumber the trees along I-70 in eastern Colorado.

Will those flatlanders remember that when the ground shakes, Ralphie is coming!

Two things: One, there is no big money coming the Pac 10's way. Two, unless the SEC rumor that came out of SLC is true-the Big 12 will have some national brands. If the Big 12 moves on the four of us, Oregon and Washington won't have a choice but to join.
I dont agree. Audience matters. Thats what TV wants.

Ratings wise it appears Oregon, Stanford, Washington and Colorado are the four best ratings draws left in the Pac10. The schools need to agree to schedule marquee matchups for the OOC slate instead of speed bumps. Notre Dame will schedule games in Calfornia. So will the B1G schools.

The Pac10 owns (has no college football competition in) TV markets in #6 San Francisco, #11 Phoenix, #12 Seattle, #16 Denver, #21 Portland. It could add the only team in the #27 market and the the only team in the #40 market if it chose to do so.

The L12 "own" zero major TV markets as they will not ever get take a big bite out of any of the SEC or B1G teams that play in their footprint. Their properties are tier two or lower compared to OU, A&M, UT, tOSU, NU, UF, FSU. Local stations will not put L12 games on head to head against those schools. There is no money coming the Big12s way even with some of the P10 folded in.

In the pipe dream world where we get into the SEC we could be moderately competitive *IF* the administration and school as a whole got recommitted to football even given our booster shortfalls. Schools like Ole Miss, MSU and Mizzou have been ok in the SEC.
South Carolina too under Holtz & Spurrier. Heck, Kentucky now under Stoops. Even Vandy had good times when Franklin was there.

I think most of just want to find a landing spot where there's a seat at the table and enough resources where it's a reasonable belief that the right coach + basic administrative support gives us a chance.

Oh, I'd look forward to the Lubbock roadie. I only spent 2 1/2 years in that **** hole.

At least there’s that Big Texan restaurant in Amarillo. Braun’s too and whatever is the nicest truck stop there. Is Lubbock more of a dump than Amarillo these days?

South Carolina too under Holtz & Spurrier. Heck, Kentucky now under Stoops. Even Vandy had good times when Franklin was there.

I think most of just want to find a landing spot where there's a seat at the table and enough resources where it's a reasonable belief that the right coach + basic administrative support gives us a chance.

I purposely left South Carolina off my list because they have incredible support that is far more than we will ever have. But Kentucky is a good one and that's a place where football isn't even top dog.

I dont agree. Audience matters. Thats what TV wants.

Ratings wise it appears Oregon, Stanford, Washington and Colorado are the four best ratings draws left in the Pac10. The schools need to agree to schedule marquee matchups for the OOC slate instead of speed bumps. Notre Dame will schedule games in Calfornia. So will the B1G schools.

The Pac10 owns (has no college football competition in) TV markets in #6 San Francisco, #11 Phoenix, #12 Seattle, #16 Denver, #21 Portland. It could add the only team in the #27 market and the the only team in the #40 market if it chose to do so.

The L12 "own" zero major TV markets as they will not ever get take a big bite out of any of the SEC or B1G teams that play in their footprint. Their properties are tier two or lower compared to OU, A&M, UT, tOSU, NU, UF, FSU. Local stations will not put L12 games on head to head against those schools. There is no money coming the Big12s way even with some of the P10 folded in.
There's about $20m more coming their way than the Pac 10's right now. The TV market argument is a weird one right now. I think they matter to an extent-and I think the SEC rumor is case in point. You need that when you're trying to move into the part of the country where you don't have any sort of footprint. For the B1G, that doesn't matter as much because of the Rose Bowl connection and the proximity of their schools to this part of the country. For example, they don't need CU because they have Nebraska already. The Denver media covers them more effectively than even us.

Does San Francisco even matter here? They prioritize their pro sports over anything college related. Why do you think we're hearing very little coming out of Palo Alto or Berkeley?

The media conglomerates will win negotiations vs a conference commish who has university presidents as his board of stakeholders. One party without a competing bid means getting fleeced.
Sure. But the money has a ceiling somewhere. We all know that. If its a billion dollars a year from 1 bidder youve found the ceiling. When the rights come up again and the bidder says Ill give you exactly a billion dollars again and nothing more you have a risky decision to make because; 1. there is inflation and there are no other bidders. 2. what if a bidder is persuaded and offers $600m? Then your $1b bid just turned into a $601m matching and a billion is off the table. OR we will give you $800m and you need to kick out Indiana, Wake Forest, Vanderbilt, Miss State because it costs production money that no one watches.

So you are correct in that ESPN and FOX are possibly about to next tell the conferences which teams they want, what they will do, and when they will do it.

At least there’s that Big Texan restaurant in Amarillo. Braun’s too and whatever is the nicest truck stop there. Is Lubbock more of a dump than Amarillo these days?
Has anyone considered the danger of hitching our wagon to Texas schools.. as there’s currently a proposition from the TReps seeking to pursue a secession procedure? Just adding that into the mix. Talk amongst yourselves.

Let's not waste our time talking about anything that involves any Big 12 school joining this conference. They are getting more TV money than we are and they are in a more stable conference than we are.

CU needs to be focused on this SEC idea (if there's anything to it) or joining the Big 12.
All for the SEC. I could care less about fit.

Big 12 is a trap door. Are we sure they’re worth more TV money? Without UT and OU they’re worth $15M per school. They’re trying to bluff their way to the runner up table (they’ll never be at the winners table). I don’t buy their evaluations at all. It’s a smoke screen. They were literally left for dead and they added… Cincy, UCF, Houston and BYU. This is like a Frankenstein of crap schools on top of more crap schools (minus Ok St, TCU, Baylor).

Big 12 is a trap door. Are we sure they’re worth more TV money? Without UT and OU they’re worth $15M per school. They’re trying to bluff their way to the runner up table (they’ll never be at the winners table). I don’t buy their evaluations at all. It’s a smoke screen. They were literally left for dead and they added… Cincy, UCF, Houston and BYU. This is like a Frankenstein of crap schools on top of more crap schools (minus Ok St, TCU, Baylor).
We are already falling through the trap door that UCLA/USC opened. Not a ton of options as to where we land. We may land on another trap door, a stack of waffles, or a big pile of crap. Not many options and almost none are ours to make.

Would you rather be part of the Big12-2-2+2-2+4+6 or whatever the hell the Pac12 is going to be?

Because that is likely what we're going to be stuck with.

Big12 + Pac6 is a pretty solid conference, only missing a true championship contender at the moment.

Been eight years and I’d say Amarillo is nicer but that’s splitting hairs.
I went to Tech for 2 1/2 years. Matter of fact, when I left, I don't think I've been back there. If I have, I don't recall. Last time I was in Amarillo, hell, no idea? A lot of years ago.

I would go for 8+ winners in Big 12 vs going above .500 once a decade in the SEC. CU doesn’t have the money and culture like the south and Midwest to be a national contender. Go play some good competitive football in the spiteful conference until they figure out how to salary cap and bring parity back to college football in the next 15-20 years.
CU has been a 4 to 5 win program in the freaking PAC 12 for about a decade. How does this translate into an 8+ win program in the Big 12, or a 6+ win program in the SEC?

CU has been a 4 to 5 win program in the freaking PAC 12 for about a decade. How does this translate into an 8+ win program in the Big 12, or a 6+ win program in the SEC?
The entire premise was that CU would have full institutional support behind football.

It’s just for relative comparison - would you rather go to the conference you get paid more but win less, or the conference you get paid less but might win a few more games?

The 2 things I think I know right now:

1. If the B1G or SEC call, our answer is "yes" even if the terms are disappointing.

2. Anything else is an unstable short-term alignment where the most valuable members (including CU) will be working to exit if we can do it & should only be done with short-term revenue & positioning in mind.

A 16 game schedule? That's not even realistic, because we'd be playing more conference games that we have no hope of winning.

Back