What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

No. Instead, we should immediately bring a motion to rename the conference.

Big_8_Conference.png

Then hit up Raycom for the big media dollars.
God, I miss this so much.

Raycom is who connected the ACC to the CW for more linear games
Made me chuckle just saying Raycom
View attachment 62706
I was more referring to the logo, but living in ACC land, when I saw a game with Raycom at the bottom of the screen, I did a double take.
I was like "when did Raycom come back?" Actually watched the game a bit, then noticed I was on a CW channel, had chuckle, and switched back to Sling for the P12N.
Ah, the memories of networks past...

Going to be very interesting to see how ACC plays out. My gut tells me not much changes because of current contracts, but who knows how bad FSU wants out.

Going to be very interesting to see how ACC plays out. My gut tells me not much changes because of current contracts, but who knows how bad FSU wants out.
Klatt had another emergency pod from Thursday before it all happened. Went through everything and at the end touched on FSU and basically said they aren’t going anywhere. They don’t have the money and the only conference (of the P2) that might take them is SEC right now. Also said the ACC isn’t going to dissolve because that would mean the SEC would have to guarantee multiple entries and and ESPN isn’t going to negotiate against itself in paying more for the same content they already have at a fee discount in the ACC

The name of the conference may carry on, but it the PAC12 was doomed once USC and UCLA announced they were bolting. Losing Oregon, UW, AZ, and AZ State was just putting dirt on the coffin. CU and Utah leaving wasn’t as big considering they didn’t share in the tradition and history of the conference over the long haul.

The PAC squandered so many opportunities that brought us here. It was a great conference for so long. The TV fiasco, failing to get on DirectTV, when the league started was mismanagement. Passing on expansion last year was equally dumb.
Yep, agreed. Not to mention the debt

Remember when you knew that if you won the Big 8, you were going the Orange Bowl, instead of waiting until the end of the season to see where you were going, and then actually having your entire team play to win, instead of opt outs, was a BFD?
Talk about the times changing; the NFL champ playing the College All-Stars in August:

"Aug. 2, 1963 - The College All-Star squad accomplished a tremendous upset tonight by defeating the Green Bay Packers, champions of the NFL. The score was 20-17, and the outcome marked the first time in five years the All-Stars had defeated the professionals in this annual event. The result delighted the howling crowd of 65,000 at Chicago's Soldier Field. The young players fresh from college were the sentimental favorites over the Packers, who had been expected to win by at least two touchdowns. The All-Star heroes were numerous as the team stood up to the Packers in every department. The defense was especially outstanding, shutting down Jim Taylor, Green Bay’s tremendous fullback, and pressuring quarterback Bart Starr into a poor performance. Fred Miller of Louisiana State, Bobby Bell of Minnesota, Don Brumm of Purdue, Lee Roy Jordan of Alabama, Lee Roy Caffey of Texas A&M, and Danny Brabham of Arkansas were among the rugged defenders who led the charge against Packer thrusts. The All-Star quarterback, Ron Vanderkelen from Wisconsin, connected on a 74-yard touchdown play in the fourth period that assured his team of victory. “What can I say, except that we were beaten?” Packer coach Vince Lombardi said afterward. “We have no excuses, none whatsoever. I had expected us to play a real fine ballgame, but we just couldn’t get going. Our morale was excellent. The boys wanted to win. I tried twice in the second half to take Jim Taylor out to give him a little rest, and both times he sneaked back into the game. The All-Stars were great — much better than last year. Vanderkelen threads the needle pretty well.” Lombardi did say that the absence of Ray Nitschke, injured middle linebacker, weakened the Packer defense. “We just sputtered and sputtered,” lamented tackle Forrest Gregg. “We had lots of opportunities to take the ball in, but we couldn’t do it. Those All-Stars were big, fast and strong.” Bart Starr blamed himself for the loss. “I was awful, just awful. Heck yes, it hurts to get beat by a bunch of rookies. They shouldn’t beat us in a million years — and they did.” Missing from the Packer lineup was Paul Hornung, Green Bay’s big scorer the past few years. Hornung was suspended from football indefinitely in April by commissioner Pete Rozelle for betting on NFL games and associating with undesirable persons".

Parity in football. It will be really interesting.
Klatt talked about how while other leagues designed their scheduling to promote top programs and playoff berths, the Pac 12 pretty much scheduled to promote parity, which is partly why we haven’t seen the Pac 12 represented in the CFP much.

The new Big 12 is going to have natural parity, will likely only have two or so CFP representatives in a given year, and be a conference with fun, competitive matchups.

Klatt talked about how while other leagues designed their scheduling to promote top programs and playoff berths, the Pac 12 pretty much scheduled to promote parity, which is partly why we haven’t seen the Pac 12 represented in the CFP much.

The new Big 12 is going to have natural parity, will likely only have two or so CFP representatives in a given year, and be a conference with fun, competitive matchups.

I know football drives all this but...... This has the potential to be the toughest hoops conference in any given year. Looking forward to it!

I love CFB because every Saturday is fun and meaningful. This is a big part of why I’m excited about the move. Teams with similar competitive footing focused on fun matchups. Any teams can rise and fall any given year. I rarely watch the CFP so as long as the regular season feels like real CFB that’s what I’m about

It is now pretty obvious why George Kliavkoff did not want to present his media deal numbers. Rumor was ESPN offered them initially $28.5 Million per team per year during the exclusive period but the PAC turned it down because they thought they were being lowballed and were shooting for $50 Million believing they were worth a lot more than they were in reality. The trouble was the market place had shifted and they were not attuned with it. Kliavkoff gets no pass from me, he was supposedly media savvy but turned out to be an idiot.

It is now pretty obvious why George Kliavkoff did not want to present his media deal numbers. Rumor was ESPN offered them initially $28.5 Million per team per year during the exclusive period but the PAC turned it down because they thought they were being lowballed and were shooting for $50 Million believing they were worth a lot more than they were in reality. The trouble was the market place had shifted and they were not attuned with it. Kliavkoff gets no pass from me, he was supposedly media savvy but turned out to be an idiot.
According to the Athletic article, he also hired his friend’s boutique consulting company for this so a nice bit of cronyism sprinkled into the mix

However the current Pac-4 and merging conference end up, don’t they HAVE TO keep the “Pac” name in order to remain a “power” conference for auto but to the CFP?

Or is everyone going to see through that and they’re screwed?

Asking from a technical/legal perspective, not a “talking out ass” perspective.

Back