What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Klatt talked about how while other leagues designed their scheduling to promote top programs and playoff berths, the Pac 12 pretty much scheduled to promote parity, which is partly why we haven’t seen the Pac 12 represented in the CFP much.

The new Big 12 is going to have natural parity, will likely only have two or so CFP representatives in a given year, and be a conference with fun, competitive matchups.
I have a ton of respect for Klatt but I disagree with that take to some extent. I have always felt the PAC12 Network was a huge problem mostly because they did it without a media partner. Because of that they ended up with poor exposure, bad scheduling (night games when most of the country was in bed) which resulted in PAC12 fans and schools very upset and minimal income. USC was complaining years ago how lack of exposure was hurting recruiting - West coast recruits were no longer a USC or UCLA lock but going to other conferences for the exposure. I believe if they had started the PACN with a media partner, they would not be where they are today.

I have a ton of respect for Klatt but I disagree with that take to some extent. I have always felt the PAC12 Network was a huge problem mostly because they did it without a media partner. Because of that they ended up with poor exposure, bad scheduling (night games when most of the country was in bed) which resulted in PAC12 fans and schools very upset and minimal income. USC was complaining years ago how lack of exposure was hurting recruiting - West coast recruits were no longer a USC or UCLA lock but going to other conferences for the exposure. I believe if they had started the PACN with a media partner, they would not be where they are today.
The podcast is 15 minutes long and he spent about 8-10 minutes talking about exactly that. The Pac 12’s decision to not partner with a major distributor when they had the chance is the reason for their downfall. “Owning 100% of $1 instead of 50% of $20” is the way he put it.

The November scheduling the Pac chose to incorporate was a secondary reason for no CFP representation and further lack of exposure

However the current Pac-4 and merging conference end up, don’t they HAVE TO keep the “Pac” name in order to remain a “power” conference for auto but to the CFP?

Or is everyone going to see through that and they’re screwed?

Asking from a technical/legal perspective, not a “talking out ass” perspective.
No

For CFP purposes, 6 autobids go to the six highest ranked conference champs .

The autonomy clause that the PAC enjoys allows them to make rules about transfers and management that don't apply to the rest of D1. However, that ruling allows any other conference to adopt any rules that those conferences pass. So impact of not being one of those autonomous conferences I'd project to be minor or negligible

Klatt talked about how while other leagues designed their scheduling to promote top programs and playoff berths, the Pac 12 pretty much scheduled to promote parity, which is partly why we haven’t seen the Pac 12 represented in the CFP much.

The new Big 12 is going to have natural parity, will likely only have two or so CFP representatives in a given year, and be a conference with fun, competitive matchups.
I think there are now 6 or so teams any one of which could have a big breakout season in any given year, but right now I don’t see that a dominant powerhouse is going to develop and maintain that role. That’s good for the conference IMO.

Natural parity, as you’ve called it, is a good description.

Last edited:
It is now pretty obvious why George Kliavkoff did not want to present his media deal numbers. Rumor was ESPN offered them initially $28.5 Million per team per year during the exclusive period but the PAC turned it down because they thought they were being lowballed and were shooting for $50 Million believing they were worth a lot more than they were in reality. The trouble was the market place had shifted and they were not attuned with it. Kliavkoff gets no pass from me, he was supposedly media savvy but turned out to be an idiot.
He was also playing with a losing hand. From my perspective, it's hard to conclude that someone else should have been expected to fare much better.

Those aren't PODS. It's all the BIG12 schools in alphabetical order.
Keep in mind, that this was the guy that was right.

Fred Savage No GIF by The Grinder

Klatt is a pretty sharp guy and he is right in this regard.

We joke about schools not being serious about football but the truth is that the PAC never got serious about winning at football.

The PAC12Network was a part (or a symptom) of that. Had they partnered with ESPN or Fox it would have been distributed nationally. It would also have programming that draws interest from casual fans.

Turn on the PAC12N at any random time and you are likely to be seeing gymnastics or volleyball or water polo, turn on the SEC Network and chances are it is a football game or something football related. If it isn't it's basketball or baseball.

The scheduling though was a huge factor. Playing one extra conference game compared to other leagues and playing the balanced schedule almost insured that nobody was coming through unbeaten and good schools were likely to have a couple of losses.

Compare this to the SEC or the B1G. If you are a top program pile up some wins against some MAC or SunBelt schools in the non-conference while still having room to beat a mid to low level OOC P5. Then in the regular season know that you will never play all of the other top schools in a season and you will be guaranteed at least a couple of cupcake games. Very rarely will you face two top quality opponents in a row. The SEC even builds in body bag week near the end of the season when every top team gets essentially a week off by playing an OOC patsy, low G5 or even FCS, to pad the record and get key players a week of rest.

How often have we seen a PAC team in contention for a playoff spot lose a tough road game in the last couple weeks of the season knocking the conference out of contention?

With the new B12 there will be some tough teams to beat but there are also enough relatively poor teams that a quality record can be built.

After the networks devour the ACC, I suspect the MWC will be next.

Assuming the AAC picks up the PAC-4 schools, they will be going after SDSU, Boise State, CSU, and Air Force.

I don’t think Fox will have any interest in the MWC after getting USC, UCLA, UO, and UW.

After the networks devour the ACC, I suspect the MWC will be next.

Assuming the AAC picks up the PAC-4 schools, they will be going after SDSU, Boise State, CSU, and Air Force.

I don’t think Fox will have any interest in the MWC after getting USC, UCLA, UO, and UW.
Considering that the MWC was paying between $3-4 million per school they remain an option for cheap programming.

AAC has been paying close to $7 million per school. Question is will ESPN be willing to sweeten the pot enough to pay that much to eight additional schools.

Also a real question at this point if Stanford and Cal want to continue to try to compete at the highest level. I could easily see Stanford deciding to go the route of the Ivies and Cal following them.

Yes Cal has a huge stadium debt and both schools have some wealthy alums who want to see them continue at FBS but getting left out of the big media money doesn't help them in any way.

I still can’t get over the deal UW and UO are taking to get into the B1G. I guess if I were them, I’d be excited and it’s not like they had much of choice anyway. But it’s crazy to me to agree to make maybe as much money one day as the BIG12/ACC schools, which would still only put you at half the money of all the teams you’re actually playing against are making. Really the only benefit of this for them is that maybe they’ll get the same deal with the same conference structure that Rutgers gets now, in eight years. It seems like a pretty steep price to pay for ruining the competitiveness of your athletic program and becoming a cucked mockery for a decade.

It was easy to make sense of the unpopular direction college football was taking when the parties involved all benefited financially. When the schools start losing that benefit or are gambling their future on maybe having it, it does feel to me like a huge step towards finally breaking the whole thing and UW and UO will be the poster children of decisions that truly became illogical.

I still can’t get over the deal UW and UO are taking to get into the B1G. I guess if I were them, I’d be excited and it’s not like they had much of choice anyway. But it’s crazy to me to agree to make maybe as much money one day as the BIG12/ACC schools, which would still only put you at half the money of all the teams you’re actually playing against are making. Really the only benefit of this for them is that maybe they’ll get the same deal with the same conference structure that Rutgers gets now, in eight years. It seems like a pretty steep price to pay for ruining the competitiveness of your athletic program and becoming a cucked mockery for a decade.

It was easy to make sense of the unpopular direction college football was taking when the parties involved all benefited financially. When the schools start losing that benefit or are gambling their future on maybe having it, it does feel to me like a huge step towards finally breaking the whole thing and UW and UO will be the poster children of decisions that truly became illogical.
CU would have taken that B1G deal. We'd have taken less, actually. A major university and its boosters can weather 5+ years of AD budget shortfalls. And the number is just on media revenue. They will get a full share of other conference revenues.

Considering that the MWC was paying between $3-4 million per school they remain an option for cheap programming.

AAC has been paying close to $7 million per school. Question is will ESPN be willing to sweeten the pot enough to pay that much to eight additional schools.

Also a real question at this point if Stanford and Cal want to continue to try to compete at the highest level. I could easily see Stanford deciding to go the route of the Ivies and Cal following them.

Yes Cal has a huge stadium debt and both schools have some wealthy alums who want to see them continue at FBS but getting left out of the big media money doesn't help them in any way.

Wait...isn't UCLA paying Cal a share of their B1G money? Maybe that will help out with the stadium debt. I think that stadium debt thing is being overplayed by social media and that is something that the school can be told to cover since those earthquake retrofits are not necessarily

ESPN has no west coast programming...they will have to pony up before Fox thinks about ponying up to the MWC to keep ESPN off the west coast. I know it's a petty competition between Fox and Disney.

As for the Ivy league, I would think establishing a west coast Ivy League would be a better way to go or they simply go to the WCC and go independent in football. I think Stanford & Cal would earn more from their local media deals than what the AAC is paying their schools (I think it's closer to $12-15M and ESPN could bump that up to $20M if those four join).

Also MHver had more to say this morning:

CU would have taken that B1G deal. We'd have taken less, actually. A major university and its boosters can weather 5+ years of AD budget shortfalls. And the number is just on media revenue. They will get a full share of other conference revenues.
You’re probably right about CU right now, especially with Prime, but we’ve never seen the shortfall and deficit that Oregon and Washington are going to experience vs their new conference peers. It’s going to be $40-$50m/year shortfall.

Given a choice between staying in a dying PAC, going to a second level B12, or taking a deal with the B1G that makes you a second class citizen for multiple years but still pays better than the other two options it isn't a hard choice and if Colorado had been given it I would fully expect us to take it as well.

There has been plenty of discussion here though that the current TV/Media revenue model isn't going to last.

A lot of younger adults don't even have a TV much less cable, many don't sit down and watch a program unless they are streaming something on their schedule. The cable companies are bleeding customers like they have been cut in the jugular.

Look what has happened in the music industry. For decades it was about selling records. Musicians went on tour with the specific intent of promoting record sales, radio was a driving force in selling records.

Now it is hard to find a place that sells "records" be they vinyl or CDs, people pay for a streaming service and tours are were the money is with concert ticket prices through the roof for the big stars.

I can understand UW/UO taking this deal but it is worth wondering what the future will look like. How much longer are media companies going to be willing to dish out billions of dollars for a dwindling market and instead does the future mean that we buy streaming rights for each game or for a season directly from the school or from the conference.

You’re probably right about CU right now, especially with Prime, but we’ve never seen the shortfall and deficit that Oregon and Washington are going to experience vs their new conference peers. It’s going to be $40-$50m/year shortfall.

Nike, Amazon, and Microsoft people who are boosters of both schools could help with that shortfall.

The bottom 1/3rd of the BIG and SEC are next after the ACC. The networks must realize those schools are not worth 100 mil. More like 15 mil

Wait...isn't UCLA paying Cal a share of their B1G money? Maybe that will help out with the stadium debt. I think that stadium debt thing is being overplayed by social media and that is something that the school can be told to cover since those earthquake retrofits are not necessarily

ESPN has no west coast programming...they will have to pony up before Fox thinks about ponying up to the MWC to keep ESPN off the west coast. I know it's a petty competition between Fox and Disney.

As for the Ivy league, I would think establishing a west coast Ivy League would be a better way to go or they simply go to the WCC and go independent in football. I think Stanford & Cal would earn more from their local media deals than what the AAC is paying their schools (I think it's closer to $12-15M and ESPN could bump that up to $20M if those four join).

Also MHver had more to say this morning:

You are probably correct about ESPN or Fox being willing to pay for West Coast programing. The remaining schools plus the MWC would do that. The issue becomes how much they pay.

The PAC turned down $28.5 million per school early in the process. Now they might be lucky to close to $10 million per.

Back