What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

thoughts on this
He links this article that delivers this nice little nut shot:

There wasn’t much discussion about Colorado being a possible Big Ten school in the past, but Denver has Tier 3 connections with every Big Ten school except for the 4 that are closest to the East Coast. I’m not alarmist about the Pac-12’s status among the Power Five conferences (unlike some others) and I won’t subscribe to pie-in-the-sky scenarios (e.g. the Big Ten adding schools like USC and UCLA). However, I wouldn’t put it past the Big Ten to make a play for Colorado in the next decade if the Pac-12’s relatively lower revenue makes it vulnerable. Colorado is an AAU school in a major market with a critical mass of Big Ten alums and even in a state that’s contiguous with the current conference footprint (via Nebraska).***

**** me.

https://frankthetank.org/2018/05/18...en-graduates-live-and-conference-realignment/

I'm on my way assholes. But maybe slow it down a bit, I swear whenever I finish a page, another one is added to the end.

P6wQ.gif

Klatt also says that he believes that college football will be better as a result of all of this.

I do not agree.

I also do not agree, and don't understand how all of this increases any fan's enthusiasm for the sport.

In all of this conference realignment, there is no discussion of paying players by the Universities. The players continue to be viewed as financial assets which do not deserve any consideration of the huge sums of money being bandied about. The Universities claim poverty when the idea of paying players is ever raised: there's no way we could afford to pay players, that would cost us X more than we have. Ok. If you can't pay the players and put the product on the field, shouldn't that be part of the financial discussion about being paid to put the product on the field?

Not every player will get NIL money--none of which comes from the Universities, and all which is entirely separate from the pool of money being discussed in all of these conference moves. College Football is not (and should not be) an "amateur" sport (note: it kills me that what Kavanaugh writes constitutes any form of "law" in this country, but there it is, and it was a 9-0 decision):

"The NCAA's business model would be flatly illegal in almost any other industry in America," Justice Kavanaugh wrote--concurring--in Alston. "It is highly questionable whether the NCAA and its member colleges can justify not paying student athletes a fair share of the revenues." Yes, the assertion is clearly dicta, but the situation is so clear even the rabidly pro-business side of the Court expresses it.

As much as everyone gives the NCAA a hard time (very rightfully so), the Universities are also truly greedy bastards in all of this. I would be far more interested in conference realignment if it meant players were going to get any share of those revenues. This is all just moving money around among business entities that aren't on the field, taking the physical damage, and dealing with the risks of long-term injury and impairment.

All of which makes me less enthusiastic about the results of all of this: the picking and choosing of long-term winners on the football field by the movement of money between greedy non-players off the field.

Just one fan's thoughts in the midst of the maelstrom of perspectives.

Last edited:
Big 12 is a Mickey Mouse conference and I believe would slowly bleed out west coast kids coming to school here. Student population may decrease over time. It’s our only option though I guess

I’m now in the mindset go with which conference pays the most. I feel the odds of getting burned are higher in the PAC-12 though.

In 2030s when this all happens again maybe B1G says yes. Likely if the Denver market continues to grow. Would be awesome if we had a better product on the field by then. Hopes are low on that.

Big 12 is a Mickey Mouse conference and I believe would slowly bleed out west coast kids coming to school here. Student population may decrease over time. It’s our only option though I guess
CU has always been a destination for Cali kids, whether we were in the Big 8, Big 12 or Pac 12. As long as the UC system continues to be super selective, CU will get the spillover.

Nobody is asking for Klatt to criticize the NCAA. They are asking him to criticize his employer who is directing these moves within the CFB landscape
Who's asking him to criticize his employer? He simply gave his opinion on the fallout of Conference realignment and the potential impact to college football as a whole.

Who's asking him to criticize his employer? He simply gave his opinion on the fallout of Conference realignment and the potential impact to college football as a whole.
Are you dense? People are criticizing Klatt's recent opinion that the moves his employer made will ultimately be good for college football. Again, what is he supposed to say publicly, that Fox orchestrating USC and UCLA to the B1G is awful for CFB and it's eventually going to create a sterile postseason and kill the sport? That would be criticizing his employer.

On media markets + boosters $ + brand, the 4 most valuable programs in the Pac-10 are Oregon, Washington, Stanford and Cal. They're each more valuable than any Big 12 member.

Why on earth would CU hurry to run to the Big 12 with UA, ASU and Utah (when each of that group of 4 is more valuable than just about anyone in the Big 12) before we've all given Kliatkoff a chance to put a plan on the table?

Bingo. I think it could be argued that ASU and or CU are also more valuable of a property than anything in the Big12.

This I can agree with. But I’m still nervous about us hanging around and getting f’ed further than we already are. But I suppose the B12 will take us anytime.

CU has three things on its side. Excellent geography relative to the rest of the Pac12 vis a vis proximity to the Big12, Big10, and even the ACC, or SEC. CU has a fast growing tech oriented metropolitan area thats a top20 TV market. More higher ed capacity is not being built in the state so Colorado will export a large number of students into someone elses conference. CU is an AAU member and as sports properties go CU may be tarnished today but has a pretty good history. From that perspective Im not as worried that we cant find a new home if it comes to it.

I don't understand the logic in jumping to the Big 12 before you explore your options with respect to a renegotiated TV deal and/or ACC alliance. It behooves every team in the PAC (at least those schools that have viable alternatives), to understand the landscape and maximize their negotiation leverage. Honestly, the only schools that should be ****ting bricks right now are OSU and WSU.

The thought that this is a ****ing emergency, that must be dealt with immediately, is insane. Nobody remaining is USC or UCLA, and the Big 12 isn't offering B1G cash. Hell, they may not even be offering PAC cash.

Do your due dilligence, and make your move ONLY if/when you have the data to support a move. I'd bet USC and UCLA spent the better part of 6 months analyzing the pros and cons before making the decision. If you want to make a decision like this in a week, you're making a ****ty decision.

With respect to the ACC alliance/merger talk I have some doubts about a full merger as that seems like a reach.

Disney is ESPN's parent and the stock is way down on the year and investors might not be in the mood for more spending. While they have the cash and capacity to stitch the two conferences together they've already spent pretty big on the SEC as well as acquiring La Liga, Serie A, and Bundesliga content.

That said linear TV is a big money maker for ESPN so it is possible. That being said a merger creates a really big conference spread of a giant area and those have failed in the past. The idea of something more like an alliance where the ACC and PAC both belong to ESPN and play 2 of their 3 OOC games against each other sounds like fun. Especially if ESPN had some input on scheduling; Viewers might tune in to see Miami play Oregon due to the intrigue around Manny Cristobal saga.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-07 at 9.36.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-07 at 9.36.44 AM.png
    81.6 KB · Views: 5
Are you dense? People are criticizing Klatt's recent opinion that the moves his employer made will ultimately be good for college football. Again, what is he supposed to say publicly, that Fox orchestrating USC and UCLA to the B1G is awful for CFB and it's eventually going to create a sterile postseason and kill the sport? That would be criticizing his employer.
He could very easily say something generic along the lines of conference realignment being bad for college football and leave it at that. He's entitled to his opinion and it's possible that he does believe adding powerhouse programs to better conferences is better for CFB as a whole.

Selfishly I wish UCLA and USC would've stayed in the PAC 12. Selfishly I wish a larger, better conference would invite Colorado. I think we all do. But that isn't reality, and reality is that nobody east of the Colorado border cares to watch any of the PAC12 teams outside of USC and maybe Oregon. USC playing Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin, etc. is much more intriguing than watching USC vs. Arizona on PAC12 after dark.

I am. He's choosing the easy route and throwing his school under the bus. He doesn't have to shred into fox but he could say he's not a fan of the TV contract model because it destroys historic rivalries like CU-NU-OU. If he or his employer is thinking people will watch USC tOSU just BC they're brand names they're sorely mistaken

Back