What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

If I get locked in on a couple of linear games working my last and Xfinity c buttons in te mud-afternoon wonder, I just can’t image making the effort to get over to Apple to check in on Oregon State vs ASU.

If I get locked in on a couple of linear games working my last and Xfinity c buttons in te mud-afternoon wonder, I just can’t image making the effort to get over to Apple to check in on Oregon State vs ASU.
That is my concern. I find it tedious to flip between app and regular network. That works both ways, so there's some benefit to the app if people start there but I would expect that on balance it will work against ratings.

All that said, I've been told that I'm old and a smart tv neophyte. That flipping among different apps isn't a big deal. I'm skeptical, though, because usually ease-of-use is king when it comes to broad acceptance of technology.

Kliavkoff to the Pac-12 presidents:

757038aef223f4998008eb033ae45b2f--seinfeld-soup.jpg
It is a tough position no doubt. Years of mismanagement that ultimately lost you the LA market and at a time when corporations are trimming spending. Not a good series of events.

Fox is all in on the BIG and ESPN is SEC. I think we all know where this is going and CU needs to position themselves for the next round. I am not convinced that is the Big 12 and think that is a short sighted move.

If Apple is offering you better financial terms and has a plan for exposure you take it. Apple wants to succeed and has every incentive to promote and make the partnership successful. ESPN does not as we are one late night game and ESPNU/ESPN+ filler content to them. We will never be a featured product.

It is a tough position no doubt. Years of mismanagement that ultimately lost you the LA market and at a time when corporations are trimming spending. Not a good series of events.

Fox is all in on the BIG and ESPN is SEC. I think we all know where this is going and CU needs to position themselves for the next round. I am not convinced that is the Big 12 and think that is a short sighted move.

If Apple is offering you better financial terms and has a plan for exposure you take it. Apple wants to succeed and has every incentive to promote and make the partnership successful. ESPN does not as we are one late night game and ESPNU/ESPN+ filler content to them. We will never be a featured product.
I bet the CU at TCU opener is one of the top 5 most viewed regular season broadcasts with a Big 12 team next season.

That is my concern. I find it tedious to flip between app and regular network. That works both ways, so there's some benefit to the app if people start there but I would expect that on balance it will work against ratings.

All that said, I've been told that I'm old and a smart tv neophyte. That flipping among different apps isn't a big deal. I'm skeptical, though, because usually ease-of-use is king when it comes to broad acceptance of technology.
I have DIRECTV stream for live sports and can easily switch between apps. Works like a dream. No clumsy input management. It’s great. Once you get a clean app set up there’s no turning back imo.

Yes. Open to leaning how to manage all this better on a remote.

What Apple should do is buy exclusive rights to the Pac 12 and have a subscription OPTION to for an NFL Red Zone type of set up. With 12 teams (assuming SMU and SDSU are added), 3 games in the early window going on simultaneously, 2 games the afternoon window and the premier game of the week in the prime time window. Basic access to Apple TV gets you whatever game you want with commercials, but the Red Zone option for $100/season gets you commercial free coverage of all the games like NFLRZ.

Sounds appealing, I'd probably just take the commercials as the "commercial break" screen on streaming apps is weird. If the game aint on, I don't really care what replaces it. Those are perfect moments to go get a beer for go to the bathroom or scroll the phone whether there are commercials or a break screen

Dennis Dodd's rough guess is that the Pac12 will end up with a deal that's worth around $25 million per school. Maybe a tad high but sounds about right as for what to expect. He also talks about the challenges the Pac12 is facing in trying to land a new deal.

Best guess? Indeed, only an educated guess: The Pac-12 will get a deal that pays its schools $25 million annually. The current 12-year Pac-12 deal that expires next year averages $20.8 million. The length of the active deal made former commissioner Larry Scott an easy target as the league got lapped by other conferences.

A $25 million would lag approximately $50 million annually behind the Big Ten. As such, concerns would be raised about whether such a figure would be enough to keep Pac-12 schools from bolting for potential opportunities in the Big Ten and Big 12.

Actual News

Pac deal expected by mid-March. Some good, candid insights if you register with your email to be able to read the full article.

Most of those insights are coming from Washington State's Prez, Kirk Schulz. He's been around a while-but here's the thing with his POV. WSU is either remaining a Pac 12 member (if the conference manages to survive) or heading to the MWC if it doesn't. He's got a bias.

This can't be 100% streaming IMO. If its similar access to ESPN's prime windows as what we've had with Apple taking the place of the Pac 12 network, that probably works. CU as an institution has had a visibility issue. That's why we hired Coach Prime. We went from worst power 5 program to basically being able to pick and choose the transfers/recruits we wanted with that move alone. I'm not going to be happy if CU goes along with a deal that is all streaming-especially if its an Apple-MLS set up where you have to buy the subscription to Apple TV and then turn around and buy all the Pac 12 content through a separate subscription.

Another thing with this-this sport is heading for a Power 3 in the context of the playoff. We know FOX and ESPN are all in with their respective super conferences, but I think those two leagues are going to want to be nationwide when all this is done. The Big 12 likely becomes the leftover power league-schools like Okie Lite and TCU wind up there. They dont bring enough to the table to get the B1G or SEC invite, but they're not Washington State or Oregon State.....if that makes sense. The super leagues will take what they want out of the ACC (which then dies) and the Big 12 to make sure they're everywhere nationwide, and then off we go. I don't see the Big 12 being able to lock even the four corners schools in with their GOR because the whole sport knows there's another round of this coming when the ACC's GOR dissolves.

Last edited:
Most of those insights are coming from Washington State's Prez, Kirk Schulz. He's been around a while-but here's the thing with his POV. WSU is either remaining a Pac 12 member (if the conference manages to survive) or heading to the MWC if it doesn't. He's got a bias.

This can't be 100% streaming IMO. If its similar access to ESPN's prime windows as what we've had with Apple taking the place of the Pac 12 network, that probably works. CU as an institution has had a visibility issue. That's why we hired Coach Prime. We went from worst power 5 program to basically being able to pick and choose the transfers/recruits we wanted with that move alone. I'm not going to be happy if CU goes along with a deal that is all streaming-especially if its an Apple-MLS set up where you have to buy the subscription to Apple TV and then turn around and buy all the Pac 12 content.

Another thing with this-this sport is heading for a Power 3 in the context of the playoff. We know FOX and ESPN are all in with their respective super conferences, but I think those two leagues are going to want to be nationwide when all this is done. The Big 12 likely becomes the leftover power league-schools like Okie Lite and TCU wind up there. They dont bring enough to the table to get the B1G or SEC invite, but they're not Washington State or Oregon State.....if that makes sense. The super leagues will take what they want out of the ACC (which then dies) and the Big 12 to make sure they're everywhere nationwide, and then off we go. I don't see the Big 12 being able to lock even the four corners schools in with their GOR because the whole sport knows there's another round of this coming when the ACC's GOR dissolves.
The B1G and SEC have already gotten everything they want from the Big 12. That's the main reason for its stability. The only member with a chance of an invite is Kansas.

So, if the SEC and B1G expand to like 24 teams each then it's likely that the leftovers will look at the Big 12 as the best remaining.

But I could see the P12 remainders each forming new conferences by raiding the best options from the MWC, AAC and Sun Belt.

For example, WSU, OSU, ASU, FSU, SDSU, BSU, UN-R, UNLV, USU, CSU, AFA, UNM, UTSA, SMU, Rice and Tulane would be a good 16-team western conference that would warrant a playoff invite. (ASU would likely go Big 12 expansion in this scenario and the new western conference would probably opt for SJSU and its media market.)

I have DIRECTV stream for live sports and can easily switch between apps. Works like a dream. No clumsy input management. It’s great. Once you get a clean app set up there’s no turning back imo.

Can you record like a DVR on DIRECTV Stream?

This can't be 100% streaming IMO. If its similar access to ESPN's prime windows as what we've had with Apple taking the place of the Pac 12 network, that probably works. CU as an institution has had a visibility issue. That's why we hired Coach Prime. We went from worst power 5 program to basically being able to pick and choose the transfers/recruits we wanted with that move alone. I'm not going to be happy if CU goes along with a deal that is all streaming-especially if its an Apple-MLS set up where you have to buy the subscription to Apple TV and then turn around and buy all the Pac 12 content through a separate subscription.

Would ESPN put us on ESPN+?

Yo dawg I heard you like subscriptions, so I got you a subscription for your subscription

speaking of super rich tech companies with TV goals, has google said anything on expanding into CFB? With them getting NFL sunday ticket, you'd think the more football the merrier

speaking of super rich tech companies with TV goals, has google said anything on expanding into CFB? With them getting NFL sunday ticket, you'd think the more football the merrier
That Minnesota blogger who claims to be an insider but doesn't have a great track record speculated about Google possibly being involved because of Sunday Ticket. That would be ideal

There is a lot going on in this post. And it reads like you were typing drunk. Can you clarify? lol
I’m watching ESPN and Fox games at 2:30 pm on a November Saturday. Maybe a game on ESPN2 as well. Back and forth. I’m checking scores of other games. All easy tasks on my Xfinity remote.

How to flip in and out of Apple streaming game of OSU vs ASU?

I’m watching ESPN and Fox games at 2:30 pm on a November Saturday. Maybe a game on ESPN2 as well. Back and forth. I’m checking scores of other games. All easy tasks on my Xfinity remote.

How to flip in and out of Apple streaming game of OSU vs ASU?

I think if you're watching an OSU vs ASU game at 2:30 PM you've had too much to drink

There will be another round of moves when the ACC's GoR blows up.
the next round of realignment is likely happening in 2030 (announced in 2027/2028), so unless the ACC votes to dissolve, those programs will be waiting another 8-9 years after that.

The ACC is going to be hard to break upeven if ESPN tried to do an ACC to SEC raid. theyd have to take all ACC teams in a merger.

Back in 2016, the ACC and ESPN agreed to a 20-year media rights deal through 2035-36, a deal that brought about the birth of the ACC Network — owned and operated by ESPN — which launched in 2019.

That deal, per Steve Wiseman of The News and Observer, based out of Raleigh, North Carolina, “irrevocably and exclusively grants to the conference during the term all rights necessary for the conference to perform the contractual obligations of the conference expressly set forth in the ESPN agreement.”

In layman's terms, as explained by Wiseman, “any TV revenue a school is due from the ACC’s contract with ESPN is conference property through June 30, 2036, regardless of whether the school remains an ACC member or leaves for another conference.”

Explained further by Wiseman, the ACC’s grant of rights means that were a school to leave the conference for another, “the ACC would get any media revenue generated from athletic events on its campus through summer 2036.”

Which in essence would mean, as ESPN’s Andrea Adelson explained it, “Any departing school would ... forfeit its media rights and the ability to have home games and some non-conference games air on TV. In all sports. Through 2036.”

Throw in exit fees — according to Adelson, those currently stand at $120 million
and that is a lot of money to lose

The ACC is going to be hard to break upeven if ESPN tried to do an ACC to SEC raid. theyd have to take all ACC teams in a merger.

Back in 2016, the ACC and ESPN agreed to a 20-year media rights deal through 2035-36, a deal that brought about the birth of the ACC Network — owned and operated by ESPN — which launched in 2019.

That deal, per Steve Wiseman of The News and Observer, based out of Raleigh, North Carolina, “irrevocably and exclusively grants to the conference during the term all rights necessary for the conference to perform the contractual obligations of the conference expressly set forth in the ESPN agreement.”

In layman's terms, as explained by Wiseman, “any TV revenue a school is due from the ACC’s contract with ESPN is conference property through June 30, 2036, regardless of whether the school remains an ACC member or leaves for another conference.”

Explained further by Wiseman, the ACC’s grant of rights means that were a school to leave the conference for another, “the ACC would get any media revenue generated from athletic events on its campus through summer 2036.”

Which in essence would mean, as ESPN’s Andrea Adelson explained it, “Any departing school would ... forfeit its media rights and the ability to have home games and some non-conference games air on TV. In all sports. Through 2036.”

Throw in exit fees — according to Adelson, those currently stand at $120 million
and that is a lot of money to lose

I have a thought that Notre Dame ends up destroying the ACC GoR.
  • they want to go B1G
  • Start negotiating with conference
  • 8-10 other teams say "no deals, we're in this together"
  • ND says "let's take this to court"

The B1G and SEC have already gotten everything they want from the Big 12. That's the main reason for its stability. The only member with a chance of an invite is Kansas.

So, if the SEC and B1G expand to like 24 teams each then it's likely that the leftovers will look at the Big 12 as the best remaining.

But I could see the P12 remainders each forming new conferences by raiding the best options from the MWC, AAC and Sun Belt.

For example, WSU, OSU, ASU, FSU, SDSU, BSU, UN-R, UNLV, USU, CSU, AFA, UNM, UTSA, SMU, Rice and Tulane would be a good 16-team western conference that would warrant a playoff invite. (ASU would likely go Big 12 expansion in this scenario and the new western conference would probably opt for SJSU and its media market.)
They're going to remain a power league I think if for no other reason than any sort of anti-monopoly type lawsuits go away. ESPN and FOX (who have both inked deals with the Big 12 IIRC) will make sure of it IMO because they're likely defendants in an anti-monopoly suit if one comes The SEC/Big 10 would combine for 8 of the 12 playoff bids, with the Big 12 getting 3, and the G5 that one.

Here's what I see-When the ACC's GoR blows up, the Big 10 and SEC will take what they want from that league. Maybe Clemson, GT, and the Florida schools to the SEC, with Duke, UVA, UNC, and some of the better academic schools in that league to the Big 10. A leftover school like say......Louisville probably does go there.

That western conference likely is the new MWC. Its a G5 league.

I have a thought that Notre Dame ends up destroying the ACC GoR.
  • they want to go B1G
  • Start negotiating with conference
  • 8-10 other teams say "no deals, we're in this together"
  • ND says "let's take this to court"
Their deal is different. I think it's something like they must go to the ACC if they join a football conference through 2036 while playing all other sports in the ACC + a certain number of FB games each year vs ACC opponents. Meanwhile they have their own separate media deal for FB. I'd assume their terms are different.

Their deal is different. I think it's something like they must go to the ACC if they join a football conference through 2036 while playing all other sports in the ACC + a certain number of FB games each year vs ACC opponents. Meanwhile they have their own separate media deal for FB. I'd assume their terms are different.
Yes, they have a special media deal, but they're locked into the same GoR as the other 15.

Yes, they have a special media deal, but they're locked into the same GoR as the other 15.
But the games on their campus aren't part of it. I don't know, but that seems significant enough to make their exit a lot cheaper and less disruptive.

But the games on their campus aren't part of it. I don't know, but that seems significant enough to make their exit a lot cheaper and less disruptive.
My understanding is that the GoR covers all games by member schools needed to fulfill the ESPN contract. The five games per year ND plays ACC teams are part of that. So their GoR liability is 5/8 of the full ACC members.

Back