What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

What needs more clarification is if the Pac-12 is still negotiating with new partners? When did the latest partner come to the table? Are they waiting for new partners? Would they accept new partners?

I get they had a coordinated media outreach this morning and lifted the embargo at 1:30pm PT today so it all hits at the exact same time with the exact same info but… there are a ton of questions that didn’t get answered. The 4-6 week window needs to be understood more bc it’s unclear where things sit at the moment. It’s almost a certainty the Q&A will not come off well for Kliavkoff or the conference.

It delivers as much as Rutgers delivers NYC for Big10.
The issue here is:

(A) The Pac 12 doesn't have FOX leaning on cable providers
(B) The DFW market doesn't have tons and tons of PAC alumni to the degree NY/NJ has Big Ten alums willing to switch providers leaning on cable providers
(C) Rutgers has more fans leaning on providers in their markets than SMU does in Dallas.

Unless it's some poorly written prior contract that states "add a team that is in a market and we'll pay X instead of Y" I don't see how SMU drives that revenue at all. Even then you're just trying to recoup carriage revenue lost when the LA schools left across DFW & SD having fewer TV sets and likely a lower fee per subscriber on a Pac12 Network that isn't exactly throwing off massive revenue per school.

That's the only area of the PAC's deals where the market really directly monetizes.

Lot’s of hand wringing and feet stomping in reaction to the PAC-12 not announcing a new television deal on Friday. “Bad look” and all that jazz but it ultimately does not matter.

What actually matters is the deal that the PAC-12 ends up signing. It will happen. It will be horrible, fantastic or somewhere in the middle but until it is announced nothing else matters.

Happy Love It GIF by The Drew Barrymore Show

What needs more clarification is if the Pac-12 is still negotiating with new partners? When did the latest partner come to the table? Are they waiting for new partners? Would they accept new partners?

I get they had a coordinated media outreach this morning and lifted the embargo at 1:30pm PT today so it all hits at the exact same time with the exact same info but… there are a ton of questions that didn’t get answered. The 4-6 week window needs to be understood more bc it’s unclear where things sit at the moment. It’s almost a certainty the Q&A will not come off well for Kliavkoff or the conference.
IMG_3604.gif

The issue here is:

(A) The Pac 12 doesn't have FOX leaning on cable providers
(B) The DFW market doesn't have tons and tons of PAC alumni to the degree NY/NJ has Big Ten alums willing to switch providers leaning on cable providers
(C) Rutgers has more fans leaning on providers in their markets than SMU does in Dallas.

Unless it's some poorly written prior contract that states "add a team that is in a market and we'll pay X instead of Y" I don't see how SMU drives that revenue at all. Even then you're just trying to recoup carriage revenue lost when the LA schools left across DFW & SD having fewer TV sets and likely a lower fee per subscriber on a Pac12 Network that isn't exactly throwing off massive revenue per school.

That's the only area of the PAC's deals where the market really directly monetizes.
To all you SMU pumpers, SMU adds value only because it conceivably gets the P12 into a major TV market, DFW. Same for SDSU. For my money, those are the best two additions to get the P12 back to 12. But, neither of them are going to generate eyeballs in SD or DFW in a way that makes them some kind of TV contract dynamo. It is possible the marginal addition, even though they are in big TV markets, isn't worth the share of revenue they would get.

I really doubt any broadcaster is licking their chops at the prospect of trying to sell ad time for an epic SMU-Wazzu showdown, likely only to be seen by some inebriated Texan who stumbles across it while channel surfing, and only stays tuned in because they passed out.

There is a reason SMU has not been in a conference of any significance since the SWC broke up...30 years ago.

p12 apologists: all is well, wait and see.
b12 apologists: jump in the short bus with us, the pac is doomed.

someone is going to be very upset one way or the other.

i will say this: if we end up in the truck stop 12, my content generation will be even more prolific. it is such a target rich environment.

so, it is kinda a win/win for me and not so much for others.

Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
Normal people:
Mothers Day Lol GIF by reactionseditor

To all you SMU pumpers, SMU adds value only because it conceivably gets the P12 into a major TV market, DFW. Same for SDSU. For my money, those are the best two additions to get the P12 back to 12. But, neither of them are going to generate eyeballs in SD or DFW in a way that makes them some kind of TV contract dynamo. It is possible the marginal addition, even though they are in big TV markets, isn't worth the share of revenue they would get.

I really doubt any broadcaster is licking their chops at the prospect of trying to sell ad time for an epic SMU-Wazzu showdown, likely only to be seen by some inebriated Texan who stumbles across it while channel surfing, and only stays tuned in because they passed out.

There is a reason SMU has not been in a conference of any significance since the SWC broke up...30 years ago.
The best case scenario is the remaining 8 AAU schools get annexed to the B1G, SEC or ACC as a western pod but that would be too good of an outcome so debating the merits of SMU it is.

The eventual losers in all of this will be the idiot media who will struggle with these contracts when college football ratings begin to slowly tank for all but a few games featuring marquee programs. The future isn’t very good.

i will say this: if we end up in the truck stop 12, my content generation will be even more prolific. it is such a target rich environment.

1689719416791.gif

It's only a bad look if the deal ends up sucking.

If the deal is good then we will hear all about how smart the Pac was for being patient
Absolutely the bottom line.

Similarly, I'm sure we can all remember the anxiety, the sky is falling/ doom is here, RG has failed posts when CU was taking so long to hire a HC and others who fired their coach after we did were announcing their hires. Anyone here now believe that CU tarnished its brand image with its coach hiring process? If at the end of the process we'd hired Sanford, it would be that. But we ended up hitting a home run so it's exactly as @dio describes. The ultimate result will define the public perception, not the current feelings about the process.

Similarly, I'm sure we can all remember the anxiety, the sky is falling/ doom is here, RG has failed posts when CU was taking so long to hire a HC and others who fired their coach after we did were announcing their hires. Anyone here now believe that CU tarnished its brand image with its coach hiring process? If at the end of the process we'd hired Sanford, it would be that. But we ended up hitting a home run so it's exactly as @dio describes. The ultimate result will define the public perception, not the current feelings about the process.
Agree with post, but a bit of cherry picking on recent coaching hires/general CU football related news this century.

They. Will. Hold. You. Down. And. Force. Feed. You. CornDogz.

It's only a bad look if the deal ends up sucking.

If the deal is good then we will hear all about how smart the Pac was for being patient
True. I still hope the P12 can land a solid deal that keeps the Pac going. It is hard to have faith, though. I get nervous when people start using catch phrases like "forward thinking" to keep the bulldog at bay.

Hopefully, GK pulls the rabbit from the hat. I have to admit, I remain skeptical, and have some dread CU ends up back in the revised, new and unimproved Buc-ee's Conference.

True. I still hope the P12 can land a solid deal that keeps the Pac going. It is hard to have faith, though. I get nervous when people start using catch phrases like "forward thinking" to keep the bulldog at bay.

Hopefully, GK pulls the rabbit from the hat. I have to admit, I remain skeptical, and have some dread CU ends up back in the revised, new and unimproved Buc-ee's Conference.
That seems to be the b12 plan. Scare Colorado into coming back. Why else would Brett Yormark use Dennis Dodd to put out this very specific data about Apple’s reach.

Makes me nervous, too, and makes my skepticism light go on. That said, we know that a traditional deal was not going to get the Pac-12 to where its members needed. Often times, it takes that to force innovative thinking. The SEC doesn't need to get creative and, frankly, it isn't worth the risk for them to do so. I actually think the Pac-12 is in a position where it either flames out or makes a big bet on a high risk/ high reward deal. I think the odds of groundbreaking or failure are much higher than the odds are on a weak traditional deal that's just good enough to keep things together for 6 more years.

Yah but if you were paying attention there were positive hints of goodness with Coach Prime two to three weeks in advance of him getting hired.

Yah but if you were paying attention there were positive hints of goodness with Coach Prime two to three weeks in advance of him getting hired.
As there are right now with P12 media. But to continue the analogy, you'd need to block out all the reports about USF.

Don't think that's incorrect.
Unless you know how and where the P12 content is distributed to partners the 1% stat is meaningless and intentionally misleading. It’s a scare tactic from Yormark to CU.

Or does anyone think Dodd happened to be contemplating Apple’s consumption on his own and tweeted without context because he’s a thoughtful guy like that? 😂

Makes me nervous, too, and makes my skepticism light go on. That said, we know that a traditional deal was not going to get the Pac-12 to where its members needed. Often times, it takes that to force innovative thinking. The SEC doesn't need to get creative and, frankly, it isn't worth the risk for them to do so. I actually think the Pac-12 is in a position where it either flames out or makes a big bet on a high risk/ high reward deal. I think the odds of groundbreaking or failure are much higher than the odds are on a weak traditional deal that's just good enough to keep things together for 6 more years.
Yup, the P12 deal will be a boom or bust. I am hoping for boom, but staying near the foxhole if the bust comes.

All of these YouTubers are personally invested to push CU to the B12. Financially for views and they want it for their own teams and conference. It’s not news. Even if they end up being right it’s still not news.
I don't know about you, but I think FOX sent CU a pretty clear message by putting the first two games in the Big Noon slot. Brock Huard (who happens to call games for them) said they are OUT on the Pac 12.

If you join the Big 12, your program under Prime will be showcased.

Back